Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I guess I’m too easily swayed by HDR :negative:

After 4 episodes, the show is still not good but I kinda want to see where they go with the mythos. Though it’s the kind of thing that if there was like a 30 minute season summary on YouTube, I would just watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I guess I’m too easily swayed by HDR :negative:

After 4 episodes, the show is still not good but I kinda want to see where they go with the mythos. Though it’s the kind of thing that if there was like a 30 minute season summary on YouTube, I would just watch that.

I'd say around episode 5-6 is when it gets pretty decent, though the lead actress never improves.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm rewatching Community, and it's really noticeable how it goes from pretty good to some of the best TV comedy about halfway through the second season.

I watched when it aired but I have a really hard time watching it again because Dan Harmon is a whiny alcoholic manchild who fucks around and just does whatever he wants and in general is rewarded for it rather then face consequences for lovely behavior.

Every calls season 4 the gas leak year since he was fired from the show and it "got worse" but I don't know how showrunners work so all I can find is he wrote only 8 episodes out of 110 so I guess everyone just credits his "genius" for the fan favorite episodes written by other people?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pentyne posted:

I watched when it aired but I have a really hard time watching it again because Dan Harmon is a whiny alcoholic manchild who fucks around and just does whatever he wants and in general is rewarded for it rather then face consequences for lovely behavior.

Every calls season 4 the gas leak year since he was fired from the show and it "got worse" but I don't know how showrunners work so all I can find is he wrote only 8 episodes out of 110 so I guess everyone just credits his "genius" for the fan favorite episodes written by other people?

You're right, you don't know how showrunners work.

The gas leak year thing was a meta joke partially at Harmon's expense; a character literally says "you can't blame it all on gas leak year." He also brought back Brie Larson's character which pretty much everyone loved from Season 4.

Also, Harmon famously did multiple passes over pretty much every script, the credited writer on Community is generally the one who did the most work writing the episode before that or broke the story.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Arist posted:

The gas leak year thing was a meta joke partially at Harmon's expense; a character literally says "you can't blame it all on gas leak year." He also brought back Brie Larson's character which pretty much everyone loved from Season 4.

Also, Harmon famously did multiple passes over pretty much every script, the credited writer on Community is generally the one who did the most work writing the episode before that or broke the story.

Yeah, showrunners and even the staff writers who are on for the whole run of a series rarely have more than a small fraction of what they actually worked on, barring exceptions like Aaron Sorkin and Vince McBreaking Bad (brain fart I forgot his last name). There is a lot that goes into who actually gets the credit for "Written by" and there is a ton of minutiae that also involves WGA rules and other union stuff. Basically it comes down to them just spreading the actual Written By credit around the room, even if it was Harmon or whoever that wrote 95% of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arist posted:

And one of them was Megan Ganz who he fell in love with, broke up his current relationship to be with her, and then treated her like poo poo constantly when she refused him.

Yeah nerds love Harmon for his Story Circle but just like so many other influential men the second a woman turned him down he set out to ruin her life. But since he "apologized well" everyone patted him on the back and decided it wasn't a big deal and to keep giving Harmon success. Rick and Morty is going to pay for the next 20 years of his drunken rear end in a top hat behavior even if he only shits out 6 scripts worth a year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

. Rick and Morty is going to pay for the next 20 years of his drunken rear end in a top hat behavior even if he only shits out 6 scripts worth a year.

I really hope that Roiland keeps doing more solo stuff, when you pull him away from Harmon he’s still really funny and creative. The alcoholic self loathing Harmon brings to the table is alright in small doses but it definitely wears thin after a while.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I recently finished 30 Rock and it made me wonder what the writing process is really like behind scripted TV. Is there actually a writer's room? I don't really know how normal TV shows are made it turns out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

And one of them was Megan Ganz who he fell in love with, broke up his current relationship to be with her, and then treated her like poo poo constantly when she refused him.

Yeah nerds love Harmon for his Story Circle but just like so many other influential men the second a woman turned him down he set out to ruin her life. But since he "apologized well" everyone patted him on the back and decided it wasn't a big deal and to keep giving Harmon success. Rick and Morty is going to pay for the next 20 years of his drunken rear end in a top hat behavior even if he only shits out 6 scripts worth a year.

I guess I would trust Megan Ganz’s opinion on that a lot more than yours.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

I think you think you are somewhere else man. No one has said anything about Dan Harmon aside from "I like Community, I think its a good show!"

TheAardvark posted:

I recently finished 30 Rock and it made me wonder what the writing process is really like behind scripted TV. Is there actually a writer's room? I don't really know how normal TV shows are made it turns out.

There are a bunch of shows with podcasts by people involved with the show, and almost everyone features a writer at some point who discuss the process for their show. The one I would recommend is the The Good Place: The Podcast hosted by Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn). Every episode has a different actor, director, writer, producer, etc. I would look at some of the episode descriptions and listen to ones with either the creator or a writer as they will talk a lot about how that stuff works. They also even have people on who are responsible for everything from wardrobe and props, to finding locations to shoot, and even digital effects.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really hope that Roiland keeps doing more solo stuff, when you pull him away from Harmon he’s still really funny and creative. The alcoholic self loathing Harmon brings to the table is alright in small doses but it definitely wears thin after a while.

OTOH Roiland was the one who went in on trying to persuade the animators not to unionize

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also Solar Opposites kinda sucks so maybe he needs Harmon to be good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also Solar Opposites kinda sucks so maybe he needs Harmon to be good.

The wall people will end you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:lol::laffo::lol:

Roiland and Harmon have an unearned reputation as auteurs. Their content is generally garbage unless a team of creatives are around them to fix and make interesting what they vomit out.

Story circle is cool, though. :shrug:

I say this as someone who absolutely loves Rick & Morty.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think Im gonna throw on 3rd Rock from the Sun as my new show tonhave on while cleaning, working etc. Thoughts?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I used to confuse it with andy richter controls the universe

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I think Im gonna throw on 3rd Rock from the Sun as my new show tonhave on while cleaning, working etc. Thoughts?

3rd Rock goes badly off the rails in the final season, but those first four years are solid gold.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp I finished Cursed. The last 5 minutes of the season were cool but not worth the other 10 hours. Plus I accidentally spoilered myself on a reveal by skimming the Wikipedia entry.

If it were a few episodes shorter it would’ve been better. Still wouldn’t recommend it though.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 20, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any recent-ish streaming true crime or true crime adjacent series that might have gotten overlooked that I could watch with the ol lady? It's hard to get her hooked on a series enough to sit through it. I actually got her to finish Mindhunter, but after we wrapped that up haven't found something new.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp I finished Cursed. The last 5 minutes of the season were cool but not worth the other 10 hours. Plus I accidentally spoilered myself on a reveal by skimming the Wikipedia entry.

If it were a few episodes shorter it would’ve been better. Still wouldn’t recommend it though.
I think people should stop trying to make arthurian fiction a thing. It's not gonna happen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timby posted:

3rd Rock goes badly off the rails in the final season, but those first four years are solid gold.

I rewatched the whole thing a few years ago and second this. When it’s good it’s really, really good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alhazred posted:

I think people should stop trying to make arthurian fiction a thing. It's not gonna happen.

I remember really liking that Merlin TV miniseries with Sam Neill, but I wonder if it held up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I think people should stop trying to make arthurian fiction a thing cool. It's not gonna happen.

I just want to see a version not directed at teenagers. I don't need it to be Excalibur or anything, but not having it horny and edgy for the youths is a good first step.

This is why The Green Knight looks especially dope.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 20, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Thinking about the Camelot show from 10 years back. It felt like a bunch of kids playing dress up in their cardboard fort joseph fiennes was their big brother and then they had a big fight and then and then eva green got her boobs out and then they did some more fighting and then and then

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Knights of the Round summon in FF7 was, all things considered, probably the best contribution of Arthurian legend to contemporary art.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

explosivo posted:

Any recent-ish streaming true crime or true crime adjacent series that might have gotten overlooked that I could watch with the ol lady? It's hard to get her hooked on a series enough to sit through it. I actually got her to finish Mindhunter, but after we wrapped that up haven't found something new.

Theres a doc about the Golden State Killer I saw a commercial of on HBO?

gently caress the Jinx was so good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The GSK doc looks to be more about Patton Oswalts late wife from what I’ve seen/read. People seemed really disappointed by the first episode, and the trailer I caught for the next episode (5?) before Last Week Tonight made it look like it was entirely about her.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The GSK doc looks to be more about Patton Oswalts late wife from what I’ve seen/read. People seemed really disappointed by the first episode, and the trailer I caught for the next episode (5?) before Last Week Tonight made it look like it was entirely about her.

It is about Michelle McNamara and they never hid that. There are tons of documentaries about murderers if that's what makes you happy, but this is more about her quest to identify a monster and how that changed her life and family.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chubby Henparty posted:

Thinking about the Camelot show from 10 years back. It felt like a bunch of kids playing dress up in their cardboard fort joseph fiennes was their big brother and then they had a big fight and then and then eva green got her boobs out and then they did some more fighting and then and then

The only thing I remember about that show besides Arthur being a dork and horribly miscast is that they spent something like 80mil+ on it(basically final few seasons GoT tier money) while it looked as cheap as Xena and Hercules.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Hopefully a shitload went to Eva Green, patron saint of acting your rear end off in trash that doesn't deserve it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I rewatched the whole thing a few years ago and second this. When it’s good it’s really, really good.

French Stewart was a delight

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, you can tell when JGL gets into the Pixies and alt rock, it's pretty funny

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I hate that Third Rock is cropped on Amazon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

The Knights of the Round summon in FF7 was, all things considered, probably the best contribution of Arthurian legend to contemporary art.

realtalk the Mary Stewart series owns

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

esperterra posted:

realtalk the Mary Stewart series owns

:hmmyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got into a heated discussion with my wife's coworker over if the MAX in HBOMax is taken from CineMAX or not and we ended up yelling at each other over video chat and the real take away here is I need to get onto first shift so I stop overhearing their weird conversations that I might have opinions about.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Max is because the owner of the company is a huge Max Headroom fan.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just watched for maybe the second time Dark City since it came out and drat it really holds up. It's the Matrix one year before the Matrix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Croatoan posted:

I just watched for maybe the second time Dark City since it came out and drat it really holds up. It's the Matrix one year before the Matrix.

Everyone always says "oh, the Wachowskis just used the same sets and just happened to write almost the same movie, it's a wild coincidence!"

But no.

I think they actually ripped off Dark City and nobody wants to admit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

Everyone always says "oh, the Wachowskis just used the same sets and just happened to write almost the same movie, it's a wild coincidence!"

But no.

I think they actually ripped off Dark City and nobody wants to admit it

And massive chunks of Grant Morrison's Invisibles.