Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Totally unexpected casting for She Hulk but that loving rules, she's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has me interested for sure, and I've just never really bothered DC or Marvel TV shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tatiana Masley is about the last person I would have thought of for that role but she's a great actress and assuming they go the same route as Mark Ruffalo's Hulk I guess I rather have a great actress with cgi than an inferior actress who has the size. I dunno, its odd since She Hulk is really much more She Hulk than Jennifer Walters. But we'll see.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
David Tennant is amazing in Des portraying serial Killer Dennis Nilsen

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Sumo posted:

Totally unexpected casting for She Hulk but that loving rules, she's so good

Same sentiments. I didn't see this coming but it's actually perfect?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPOla_1Px0

Mmm that cast, Arnold Rothstein and Clay Davis hell yeah

Maybe it is just me but while this has a good cast at first blush the premise seems tremendously lovely. I assume there will be some more nuance to the actual show but I'm super not interested in watching a judge abuse his position to keep his son out of jail for killing a person.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'm not sure it bothers me any more than Breaking Bad or Sopranos or whatever. I assume by the trailer I'm not actually supposed to like the privileged family of murderers engaged in a coverup that presumably causes more death and terror.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

STAC Goat posted:

I mean I'm not sure it bothers me any more than Breaking Bad or Sopranos or whatever. I assume by the trailer I'm not actually supposed to like the privileged family of murderers engaged in a coverup that presumably causes more death and terror.

I definitely agree but at the same time I just generally have a lot of fatigue for the stock prestige television drama setup of a tortured middle-aged white antihero breaking the law in the name of his middle-class family and struggling to deal with the consequences afterward while the show continuously out that he's a bad person doing a bad thing. That's been some of the most well-trodden ground of the past twenty years and while The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are some of my favorite shows so many people have been chasing that dragon for so long that it's just stripmined it of any novelty or surprise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't disagree. I mean in theory it interests me because of Cranston and my trust that he can deliver on a show that will probably rest a lot on whether you can stand the rear end in a top hat protagonist. But like its probably way down on the list of things because it has the air of "I've seen it."

But like I know a few people in my life I sent the link to that will be excited as hell by it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wasn’t really a big fan of Orphan Black, but Maslany is definitely a good actor and an interesting pick for the role.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She-Hulk sounds like a super lame character but hey I used to think the entire Avengers team was D-list in the 90s so who knows what they can do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

She-Hulk sounds like a super lame character but hey I used to think the entire Avengers team was D-list in the 90s so who knows what they can do.

From what I remember (disclaimer: I am not a comics expert) she's kinda what they made Banner in Endgame: someone at peace with her transformation and just goes on with her life. Maybe I missed some era where she was getting slammed with "character building" bummer arcs or X-treem badass 90s-style beatdowns across three two-page spreads, but mostly I remember a confident lawyer who superheroed on the side and snarked about meta-humor to a much (much) lighter degree than folks such as Deadpool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Pretty much every time I've read She Hulk she's been really relaxed and happy about her powers. Her basic idea is that she's small and introverted in human form so she actually loves being powerful, beautiful, and confident as She Hulk. To that end I can see Maslany being a natural pick to be able to play two characters who are the same person but dramatically different.

And yeah, I think there's a lot of 4th wall breaking/silly/metaness ala Deadpool in her solo stuff. So that could be an element.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She Hulk's best antics are in the courtroom, I hope they focus there instead of her having to punch dudes or sleep with Juggernaut

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good She-Hulk should basically be Phoenix Wright

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She Hulk is going to be an interesting case because if they stay true to the comics she spends a lot of time doing normal stuff in She Hulk form which will mean the main character of the show is going to be mostly CG. Right now Disney seems to be fine with throwing a ton of money at their TV shows but I wonder how long that will last.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I wonder if they will bring in or introduce other heroes through this show too (or maybe reintroduce like Luke Cage, JJ, etc) since she was also the de facto Super Hero lawyer. She was also very tied in with Fantastic Four, so I am expecting a ton of foreshadowing their appearance in the MCU.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Use that Mando LCD screen stage but only use it for elaborate courtroom scenes

All the people in attendance should be various weirdos like Howard

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Woohoo!

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1306973391149297664?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're also not killing off DCU which is good. It took them forever but they finally had a product that's in the ballpark of Marvel Unlimited

https://twitter.com/vanelloki/status/1306698618322276353

Look, it's not exactly Beniot Blanc but I do love really bad southern accents from british people in American movies, it's fantastic

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

She Hulk's best antics are in the courtroom, I hope they focus there instead of her having to punch dudes or sleep with Juggernaut

yeah it'll be great if they take the good parts from slott's run and leave out the bad stuff (aforementioned juggernaut mention, that stupid gauntlet poo poo, rapey starfox)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Juggernaut thing was Chuck Austen, naturally

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The only experience with She Hulk was when she a member of the Fantastic Four (she replaced Thing) back in the mid 80’s comics. She was pretty cool in those and almost like the anti-version of Thing or even Hulk himself. I remember when it was a big deal that they did an issue with her sunbathing topless on top of the Baxter Building.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Now, they said that all shows would be moving off of DCU to HBO Max, but they didn't give a timeline. Is it going to take till that January 21st transition or are they going to come sooner?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As expected, Roku is likely going to be losing access to more content.

https://www.engadget.com/comcast-nbc-universal-roku-peacock-dispute-142058425.html

quote:

NBCU’s distribution deal with Roku expired last week. Roku offered to extend the existing deal for TV Everywhere channels while the two companies negotiated an agreement to distribute Peacock. Comcast reportedly declined the offer, and it may force Roku to remove the TV Everywhere channels by this weekend.

If NBCU does force Roku to pull those channels, viewers will lose content from Bravo, E!, Syfy, USA and NBC.

I'm going to expect Viacom channels to follow when CBS All Access gets rebranded to Paramount+

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"Why do people still pirate our stuff?"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I see your point, but also pirating is a pretty flimsy excuse when you can buy a $30 device to not have to deal with these slapfights.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

It's always been a funny book

Yeah:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Love to have a TV with as many devices hanging off it as services I subscribe to. It's a loving ridiculous scenario that was easily avoidable but noooo everyone has to be greedy as gently caress while watching the music industry kind of at least get their poo poo covered. So gently caress them all, I pay for my services and yet I still watch everything except live sport through Plex because I know when I turn it on it'll still show everything I had yesterday plus more.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bull3964 posted:

I see your point, but also pirating is a pretty flimsy excuse when you can buy a $30 device to not have to deal with these slapfights.

Which one is that these days because before today I would have thought it was Roku.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Awesome. I watched both seasons recently and while it ended on a good note I'm so happy there's going to be more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sirotan posted:

Which one is that these days because before today I would have thought it was Roku.

Chromecast remains the cheapest widest compatibility way to access stuff. There will be a new AndroidTV dongle with remote for $50 by the end of the month. Moving up the range, the $149 ShieldTV remains the most feature rich streamer on the market. Then obviously you have the high end of the market at $179 for the AppleTV which comes close to the feature set of the ShieldTV with a UI that some prefer.

I have several Rokus and they are ok middle of the road devices, but the software has never been all that stable and Roku's focus all along has been data mining and selling to advertisers and then elected to expand that revenue by taking cuts of subscription services which was never going to fly long term once every studio had their own platforms. Their basic business model is likely unsustainable long term and the only streaming devices that are going to survive are ones that are part of a larger ecosystem.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

Like a roku?

e: is there a single cheap media device that isn't involved in a content slap fight? I thought for a while there wasn't a way to get Apple TV on any Android devices, etc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, I guess you could technically say Roku had AppleTV+ compatibility since there was an app on it. Good luck actually using it though. Holy poo poo was it buggy and poor performing the last time I used it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Love to have a TV with as many devices hanging off it as services I subscribe to. It's a loving ridiculous scenario that was easily avoidable but noooo everyone has to be greedy as gently caress while watching the music industry kind of at least get their poo poo covered. So gently caress them all, I pay for my services and yet I still watch everything except live sport through Plex because I know when I turn it on it'll still show everything I had yesterday plus more.

It’s obnoxious. In 2011 I had Netflix and Hulu, in the sense I could log into Hulu and watch recent episodes of network shows without paying a dime.

Now I have five different streaming services, at least. I don’t even mind paying, it still comes out to less than cable, but dealing with accounts, content slapfights, lovely UIs (Netflix is the best but Hulu doesn’t stop me watching after an hour, the search on Prime is busted, there’s so many quirks), it’s just a hassle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A decade ago if people wanted to watch a show in HD they had to lease huge DVR set-top boxes by the month and pay for expensive cable packages of channels they never used or they had pay $200 for a Blu-Ray player and then to wait a year to buy a $50 season box set. Now everyone can subscribe to channels a la carte just like they always said they wanted and only need like two $30 plug-ins the size of a stick of gum to watch everything they want instantly and it's easier and cheaper than ever before even before factoring in inflation.

I really hope that once the site sale goes through we go back to the old rules of piracy talk being verboten, because it's always going to be a dead-end avenue of discussion where any amount of friction will be enough to rationalize not paying for something and it contributes nothing to actual discussions of the show itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The way it is is so much better than the way it was

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The fact that I can pay to opt out of commercials and not have to wait months after release while doing it (for most content) is pure bliss. gently caress commercials.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sleeveless posted:

I really hope that once the site sale goes through we go back to the old rules of piracy talk being verboten,

Shut up Sleeveless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

A decade ago if people wanted to watch a show in HD they had to lease huge DVR set-top boxes by the month and pay for expensive cable packages of channels they never used or they had pay $200 for a Blu-Ray player and then to wait a year to buy a $50 season box set. Now everyone can subscribe to channels a la carte just like they always said they wanted and only need like two $30 plug-ins the size of a stick of gum to watch everything they want instantly and it's easier and cheaper than ever before even before factoring in inflation.

I really hope that once the site sale goes through we go back to the old rules of piracy talk being verboten, because it's always going to be a dead-end avenue of discussion where any amount of friction will be enough to rationalize not paying for something and it contributes nothing to actual discussions of the show itself.

Around 2005 or so I wanted to buy the X Files on DVD because I wanted to watch it for the first time without dealing with missing episodes on the whims of the sci fi channel rerun schedule. It was 300 goddamn dollars, so I ended up just dealing with the sci fi channel. I bitch about streaming being so fragmented but for what it costs and what you get it’s so much better than it was.