Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Popelmon posted:

How the gently caress do you describe How To With John Wilson to anyone?

Anyway, the first episode was fantastic.

I don’t know but I loved it. I’d call it NYC through a Waldenesque video lens and a loosely written story to piece it together, but then your friends would probably wander off out of boredom or laugh in your face for being pretentious.

I’m really curious if they write the narrator monologue around the footage or the other way around. It seems like it would take too much time to skim and edit hours of mundane street footage for latter approach.

resident fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Evil is trashy as gently caress but I love it, strong x-files energy

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Popelmon posted:

How the gently caress do you describe How To With John Wilson to anyone?

Anyway, the first episode was fantastic.

I absolutely don't know, but wow.

I have no idea how you follow up an episode like that. What can we possibly expect from future episodes? I honestly could not even say what genre it would be

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
if e2 can remotely deliver on e1 I will make a thread for it.

How To with John Wilson
the entire first 3/4 of the show is played as awkward but funny. then serious emotional poo poo. the split was so sudden I honestly don't know what to expect from the next episode.

E: as soon as he says "he's my best friend, man". Honestly incredible.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 25, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finishing Lovecraft Country and I do love it but god drat it’s SO loving goofy sometimes

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Combat Pretzel posted:

Fincher has a weird way of saying that he lost interest.

"Too expensive for the amount of viewers?"

What?

It sounds pretty simple. Not a lot of people were watching the show and it was expensive to film. Fincher doesn't see a way to make it significantly cheaper so it is cancelled.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 2 was poo poo anyway

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Now he's doing Oscar bait but I'm not sure how that works when it's for Netflix.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I liked the idea of season 2 and returning to those characters more than I actually liked season 2. The son stuff was unnecessary and forced. Still I did like season 2, just not on the same level as season 1.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked season 2 better, the first one didn't have much of a story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: at Mank being Oscar bait like it's trying to be The King's Speech or something.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Escobarbarian posted:

The best I can do is “Nathan For You x Joe Pera Talks With You”, but it still isn’t totally accurate. God drat I loved that first ep

I really liked it but the narration was incredibly annoying and his affect undermined the sincerity of it. Still think its great but but I winced more than a few times.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So far I'm pretty happy with Fear the Walking Dead and World Beyond this season. Good stuff.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

There is going to be some neat people doing a table read of a West Wing fan script that went viral on twitter for being very good and also very Sorkin happening tonight.

https://houseseats.live/2020/10/25/retrospecs-the-all-sorkin-episode/

Here is the original twitter thread

https://twitter.com/jelenawoehr/status/1311917089888890880

There is no way I'm reading that, but I'll def listen to Rhea Seehorn, Dave Foley, and others read it for me.

Tickets are set your own price, including free, and proceeds are going to Center for Civics Education if you give them money.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

There is going to be some neat people doing a table read of a West Wing fan script that went viral on twitter for being very good and also very Sorkin happening tonight.

https://houseseats.live/2020/10/25/retrospecs-the-all-sorkin-episode/

hahaha I loved that twitter thread. I’ll chuck a couple bucks their way and watch it, why not

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

hahaha I loved that twitter thread. I’ll chuck a couple bucks their way and watch it, why not
Please report back!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a lot of fun. The twitter bit was cool, but afterwards they also did a Studio 60 spec script from 2006 that included Sorkin as a character and that was even better. Seehorn played Sorkin and even did a walk-and-talk around her house at one point which was really drat good. Josh Ritter (played Rob Lowe/Matthew Perry) and Alison Tolman (Alison Janney/Sarah Paulsen)* were both funny as poo poo, and Dave Foley is just so loveable. Also had one of the main actresses from that recent film HOST, Marin Ireland (Ellen Page’s farmer gf in Umbrella Academy s2), and Malcolm Barrett from Better off Ted and Preacher.

Both the twitter thread and spec script were really funny in themselves, which helped a lot. The spec script captured the actually quite broad and unfunny style of S60 perfectly and you could tell it was written by someone with talent - the writer of it went on to work on Hannibal, The Americans, and Halt and Catch Fire.

Obviously the Sorkin style loses something when it’s over Zoom like this with delays and poo poo, but it was charming and fun enough that it was definitely worth the 5 bucks I threw them for a good cause.

https://twitter.com/jelenawoehr/status/1320525094423179264?s=21

*I used the actor’s names here because nobody remembers the names of the characters in Studio 60, as it should be

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Is there a way to reset series on Hulu, so it pretends you haven't seen them? I like putting on things like Bob's Burgers or Archer while I am getting ready for bed or tidying up etc. and because I have seen it before, more often than not it goes to the last 5 minutes of the episode, and will do that on each subsequent episode. For some reason it thinks I just stopped watching every episode with 5 minutes left and just picks it up from there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just make a new profile, all the services are terrible at rewatching

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm only 15 minutes into the new Borat and :psyduck:

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

5 min into the new Fargo episode and I am once treated to a painfully written monologue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh hey, Dream Corp LLC is back tonight. It is a completely bonkers series starring Jon Gries with a big afro as Dr Roberts, a completely unethical psychiatrist who uses a special machine to go into the minds of knocked out sleeping patients to help fix their problems in their dreams. It switches between live action for the real world and a crazy rotoscoped cg animation for the dreams. Stephen Merchant voices a robot named Terry and the always delightful Mark Proksch is one of Dr Roberts lab assistants/patients. The show works on a patient of the week format which brings in guest stars like Craig Robinson, Jimmi Simpson, Natalie Morales, Rupert Friend and Toby Kebbell.

Here's a neat little tone trailer they put together using clips of the dream sequences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJwHYZnaiQ

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm only 15 minutes into the new Borat and :psyduck:

i'm 30 min in :psypop:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The Queen's Gambit is so good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Eric Andre season 5 just premiered and it’s better than ever.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

swickles posted:

Is there a way to reset series on Hulu, so it pretends you haven't seen them? I like putting on things like Bob's Burgers or Archer while I am getting ready for bed or tidying up etc. and because I have seen it before, more often than not it goes to the last 5 minutes of the episode, and will do that on each subsequent episode. For some reason it thinks I just stopped watching every episode with 5 minutes left and just picks it up from there.

Yes, on the show page go to manage series and remove it from your viewing history and it will reset.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Eric Andre season 5 just premiered and it’s better than ever.

I’ll miss Hannibal but I guess he’s too busy complaining about his tenants to find the time anymore

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Josh Ritter (played Rob Lowe/Matthew Perry)

Josh Ritter the musician?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
JASON Ritter. gently caress

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reading this gave me a headache

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes, on the show page go to manage series and remove it from your viewing history and it will reset.

Thank you!!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

isaboo posted:

Thank you! Yes it is! The best part is that multiple times I kept thinking it was going in a typical cliche story direction but it kept surprising me. What a magnificent actress

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wasn't Queen's Gambit the name of the boat from Arrow?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

isaboo posted:

just yesterday I said out loud that netflix produces mediocre trash and then they release something this good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Wasn't Queen's Gambit the name of the boat from Arrow?

I mean, it's a well-known chess term. It probably pops up a lot of places.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have a serious question about the Queen's Gambit: Is the chess realistic? This might sound like a joke but one thing I can't stand about depictions of chess in movies and film is when the writers have clearly never played chess and the pieces are just moving all over the place!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
HGB and I recorded a drunk history thing on Friday with one of this thread’s favorite actors doing me a favor and recording some of The Iliad.

I won’t say who but they are pointedly NOT LeVar Burton and if they did it live I might need a new desk.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

exquisite tea posted:

I have a serious question about the Queen's Gambit: Is the chess realistic? This might sound like a joke but one thing I can't stand about depictions of chess in movies and film is when the writers have clearly never played chess and the pieces are just moving all over the place!

I can't tell myself but I was reading a few articles and it seems like they put a ton of effort into making the matches realistic. They had a few chess pros giving advice, including Kasparov who planned out the final game of the show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Let me tell you about defribillation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
More importantly, do they find bobby fischer