Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
So I watched the first couple of episdodes of Avenue 5 and it's not funny, like at all.

As a big fan of the first few seasons of Veep from the same showrunner I'm surprised and disappointed.

I guess first seasons and hard for sitcoms so I'll check again next year but it's not looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Josh Gad sucks the enjoyment out of anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually like Avenue 5 but it is definitely Iannucci's weakest show

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt because of Veep but yeah, Avenue 5 is just barely good enough to keep me watching, for now at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno, this most recent episode seemed to be heading into hardcore Lord Of The Flies territory. I'm there for that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt because of Veep but yeah, Avenue 5 is just barely good enough to keep me watching, for now at least.

The bit where Laurie reverted to his British accent was hilarious, and a lot of the "incidental background humor" is really sharp, so I'm thinking it's just a case of finding its voice and footing.

It's also a departure from his usual style where everyone is making rapid fire insult references, which is probably due to the setting since they can't really make a bunch of references to current or recent things

So I think a lot of it is just that he's trying something new and different and, again, that takes time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wild Wild West star Robert Conrad passed away yesterday, aged 84. Just watched him the other day in an ep of Columbo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Edit wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 9, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

precision posted:

The bit where Laurie reverted to his British accent was hilarious, and a lot of the "incidental background humor" is really sharp, so I'm thinking it's just a case of finding its voice and footing.

It's also a departure from his usual style where everyone is making rapid fire insult references, which is probably due to the setting since they can't really make a bunch of references to current or recent things

So I think a lot of it is just that he's trying something new and different and, again, that takes time.

I have a feeling they're setting up a Lord of the Flies scenario which gets even worse when they realize that the five hundred people they're planning to space to make the journey faster will orbit the ship like the others, keeping them on the same course...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My favorite thing about Ianucci is still that in the very first episode of The Thick of It, one of the characters proposes AirBnB and gets (rightly) blasted for it being an idiotic concept.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finished Locke & Key. It was... alright. Its weird I was really hyped for it but I also wasn't. I was really hyped for it like 10 years ago when I read the comics and it was first getting adapted and it all fell apart. I actually only knew this Netflix adaption existed for about a week but it kind of fired up the nostalgia. I only really remember bits and pieces and like, I don't know how I feel. I don't think it was a bad idea to burn through the comics in the first season. I think trying to doll it out would have made the show too slow. But I think the pacing of things was kind off.

The big thing is probably Dodge. They jumble her story around and save some of it that I remember for S2, and I get it, but it ended up feeling kind of weird. Like the first half of the season she's just kind of there doing stuff and the second half they just power through stuff so fast it has no time to breathe. I kind of get it. Obviously they set up the whole "Dodge turns into a boy and becomes their friend/Kinsey's boyfriend" thing is saved for S2, but it felt weird rushing so fast through "Dodge is Lucas?" and never felt like it had any punch.

"Punch" is what I keep coming back to. Its a fine watch but it never really excited me or anything. No "punch." Maybe S2 if they're largely doing their own thing they'll pace things better and have more oomph. But I'm also not sure they totally knew what to do with the keys. The comic like throws a lot of keys around that I remember and does wacky stuff with them, which I get the show doesn't really have the budget or format to do. But they didn't really feel like the huge deal "magical keys that do crazy poo poo" should.

I dunno. It was alright but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not already a fan. edit: Or I guess if you're not a fan and aren't so hyped up? I dunno. Watch it if you want but don't expect something amazing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 9, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have a feeling they're setting up a Lord of the Flies scenario which gets even worse when they realize that the five hundred people they're planning to space to make the journey faster will orbit the ship like the others, keeping them on the same course...

Oh I'm sure it's gonna get real dark, yeah. :)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Started watching Locke & Key, knowing nothing about the IP. Only on the third episode, but I don't get why these people don't share their trauma but let themselves get into situations that are triggering. Maybe don't hang out with kids that are obsessed with horror movies if the idea of blood causes you to have an anxiety attack? Or maybe talk to them about it so they understand what you're going through? I've gone through some traumatic poo poo in the last year myself and holding stuff in and not talking about it is probably the worst thing you can do, you'd think they would all be in therapy after their dad is killed and the rest are almost murdered.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, a teenage girl probably doesn't have the most emotional maturity or self awareness in the world especially six months after a horrendously traumatic life changing experience. And its pretty much established that its the last thing her and her brother want to be known for with their new peers. She tried to power through an experience she shouldn't have it and it didn't work.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Again, why aren't they all in therapy to deal with this trauma? They all clearly have PTSD, but seem to not want to deal with it in any ways that don't involve magic keys. It's a minor point but still one I'm probably not going to get over.

e:. I get that it's fiction, but it just bugs me when authors don't even give lip service to legitimate ways to handle trauma because that would mean less drama and conflict.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 9, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure expectations on the family handling any life events by talking to someone, or anyone really, went out the window when the mother almost got trapped in a magic death mirror-realm and they then went on like it never happened.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Again, why aren't they all in therapy to deal with this trauma? They all clearly have PTSD, but seem to not want to deal with it in any ways that don't involve magic keys. It's a minor point but still one I'm probably not going to get over.

e:. I get that it's fiction, but it just bugs me when authors don't even give lip service to legitimate ways to handle trauma because that would mean less drama and conflict.

I mean, its been six months and its established that they were having a hard time at home in the community/school where their father worked and the killer went and the mother packed them up and moved them cross country to a place she'd never been and their father was weirdly against them ever visiting in a desperate attempt to start over. A decision she spends most of the season stressing over and second guessing.

I think that qualifies as "lip service" even if its not necessarily decisions you or I would agree with.

I think the series largely does address this stuff, if only in passing.'

edit: There's also like a whole subplot about a teacher who goes out of his way to get involved with the kid to help him through it and forms a relationship with the mother talking about it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 9, 2020

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Actually my biggest issue with the show is that Gabe is played by the guy from American Vandal and we never got a third season of that.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Escobarbarian posted:

New show from Rob McElhenney/Charlie Day/Megan Ganz hit Apple TV today. First episode was not great but promising!

Some of the gamer/culture clichés are too real to be funny, but there are some gems in there. F. Murray Abraham is killing it as the old creep. Lots of familiar faces of course (and voices).

Edit: Ep 5 - Jake Johnson, Cristin Milioti? Hell yeah! Amazing episode.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 9, 2020

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Goons with kids, would you let your 8 year olds watch Locke and Key? I'm old and tired and don't want to watch it twice if I can help it. My decision making is broken because my Mom let us watch whatever by that age, but my daughter gets really freaked out by jump scares

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jump scares aren't a thing. Its not really a "scary" show and a lot of it is very kid fantasy horror in tone. But there's like a really traumatic backstory of family trauma and real life horror with the family's dad being murdered and the gunman stalking the kids until the mom blundgeons him with a hammer. Its not especially graphic or anything but its a big part of the series and I'd have my reservations about showing a young kid it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's not kid friendly.

e.g. the kinky sex / murder scene in episode two.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I only really remembered Dodge hooking up with Tyler in the truck and Kinsey proposing a threeway. But I figured neither of those were super suggestive for an 8 year old to get.

Its probably not kid friendly. Which is weird because the magic is very kid movie like.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I finally watched the last episode of The Good Place and now I'm sad it's over but that was a great ending.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I think it’s only Lana making Matrix 4. Lilly is focusing on Work In Progress instead (which I’m happy about! s1 was good!)

Wait...they both transitioned?! Wow. What are the odds of that?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There will be no script for the Script Writing portion of The Oscars...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No Fox cartoons for another week huh? That's odd. Anything big on tonight?

e: oh, oscars? Yeah that'll do it I guess

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Croatoan posted:

I finally watched the last episode of The Good Place and now I'm sad it's over but that was a great ending.

If you want a glimpse of the real Bad Place, you should go check out the TGP thread.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you want a glimpse of the real Bad Place, you should go check out the TGP thread.

I saw where it was headed and bailed. Alas they are truly lost

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
well hell I totally forgot about the Oscars tonight

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Some of the gamer/culture clichés are too real to be funny, but there are some gems in there. F. Murray Abraham is killing it as the old creep. Lots of familiar faces of course (and voices).

Edit: Ep 5 - Jake Johnson, Cristin Milioti? Hell yeah! Amazing episode.

Agreed on ep5. It was loving amazing and has to be one of best things I’ve ever seen on TV. I hope we get something of similar caliber in season 2.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

No Fox cartoons for another week huh? That's odd. Anything big on tonight?

e: oh, oscars? Yeah that'll do it I guess

Next week!

I keep thinking I'm going to update the Bob's burgers thread, then I realize some other special TV event is going on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I woke up to an oscar party being held in my living room and uh, these people are screaming at the tv.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's kind of cool seeing a comic book movie win an Oscar. Besides Suicide Squad that one year of course. Joker's score was noticeably haunting and different.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I haven't seen Parasite but Bong Joon Ho loving rules. Apparently HBO is adapting the film to a 6 part series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Parasite winning everything makes me happy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Love Memories of Murder. Dislike Okja, The Host, and Snowpiercer. But still looking to check out Parasite.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Parasite is legit great and I’m still surprised by how much I loved it since I was not into Snowpiercer at all and The Host was just okay. I wanted Knives Out to win Original Screenplay because I love that movie as well, but I’m fine with Parasite sweeping everything it’s nominated for. Definitely more deserving than The Irishman or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

This year’s crop is honestly pretty decent. Marriage Story, 1917, Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, and Little Women are all definitely worth watching. I’m still disappointed The Farewell got completely shafted, that movie will make you cry and wish you could still call your grandma.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BONG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pahuyuth posted:

I haven't seen Parasite but Bong Joon Ho loving rules. Apparently HBO is adapting the film to a 6 part series.
You should see Parasite. It's great!