Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I am so afraid WoT is going to be bad. They shouldíve done an adaptation focused on the original War of Power or the Aiel War or even the Seanchan. Itís going to be a tough adaptation... although imagining the Aiel history as Rand goes through the trials actually being shown could be amazing.

My biggest fear is they try to Game of Thrones it - although hopefully they edit out Mat getting raped and everyone laughing at him for it (because men canít get raped)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Wheel of Time the fantasy series that had a tv pilot randomly air once in the middle of the night on FX a couple years ago for rights issues?

Yes

Wheel of Time is hard to adapt -- it's an extremely long and complex series with dozens of main characters and a plotline spread over several thousand years. There's also a number of concepts (i.e. the magic system, the history of the kingdoms, the Prophecy of the Dragon) that are going to be very difficult to explain without extensive, painful exposition. I'm also curious what kind of budget they have because they're going to need a lot of CGI.

I am also curious if they keep the demographics true to the book -- if so the only 'white' characters would be Rand and the rest of the Aiel.

The series itself is kind of the best and the worst of 1980s - 1990s fantasy, and is kind of what Game of Thrones was reacting (in part) to, i.e. there's very little sex or explicit graphic violence, just... lots of dense plot. The history of the world though is extremely dope, though, and there's some really cool areas that I think would look great on TV.

Also, if they are doing an accurate adaptation, be prepared to witness lots of braid pulling and extremely frustrating, one-dimensional female characters!

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 1, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Bruceski posted:

As far as the plot time spread, that's just a couple of flashbacks. Sure it spans thousands of years but very little of interest to the plot happened between the start and end of those thousands. And the places where it does jump more freely are intentionally disorienting in the books. "Evil seductress lusting over the protagonist's prior incarnation and settling for him instead but not happy about it" doesn't take much to explain. The rest is really going to come down to editing choices. Jordan was interested in weaving a world more than writing just one story, and even just narrowing the view down to the main characters it'll be a lot of figuring what to leave in and how to pace it. If they're not trying to do it right it's gonna be a mess, and if they do try to do it right there's going to be some hard choices. One whole book is a temporal reset, everyone's storylines got so out of sync that one character was in two places at the narratively same time so they used a global event to jump between everyone and say "where were they when X went down." That's pretty easy (relatively speaking) to fix in a new production, if they remember to actually do it instead of sticking to a "one book a season" formula.

It's the series where even when the author was trying to write everyone's way to the ending it didn't happen until after he died and they brought in someone else whose only job was to go through the notes, draw a straight line between where characters were and where they had to be for the big event, and follow it. But since Jordan DID write the characters as interesting characters whoever you cut is going to legitimately be somebody's favorite.

Except Faile. gently caress Faile. gently caress that entire plot.

They should just do a Mat series. Mat riding around with the Band of the Red Hand. Mat gambling with the Tear lords. If they cut down on Mat ... god help them!

What helps is the first book is much more stand alone.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Theres a big thread in TBB about it, but yea it's a tough read, especially by today's fantasy standards.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Tried to watch 'The Messiah' on Netflix. Both very stupid AND anti-semitic!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I don't know. I got through two episodes of cartoonishly evil Jews refusing to believe his divine grace and ~MySteRioUs ThInGs~ happening before calling it quits.

Also the main character is for some reason getting IVF i guess because she's a woman? also even though she's an American and works for the CIA she is ALSO Jewish for some reason, and therefore an evil skeptic
`

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

there is a lot going in there, what part of that makes you upset?

imagine a terrible evangelical movie (God's Not Dead) crossed with a terrible CIA thriller and a writer who feels some guilt about the refugee crisis at the border:

* evil incompetent journalists who want to exploit people's suffering and just spread lies and fake news to stir up trouble
* a one dimensional israeli security agent who is violent and evil and refuses to acknowledge the possibility of faith and divinity and is tortured by his horrible ways (which manifest as visions)
* the main character is a female CIA agent whose only defining feature is that she's getting IVF treatments. it's also revealed that like the Israeli agent she: doesn't believe in God and is Jewish and refuses to accept miracles as real
* there is a John Bolton lookalike
* the "messiah" character spends his entire screen time saying mysterious things and staring into the camera. he also looks like a model.
* a tornado demolishes a town (for some reason theres a plotline involving a bunch of people in Texas) but leaves the ~only church~ standing... leading to a bunch of shots of a church surrounded by devastation. Symbolism!
* a key plot point is a group of palestinian refugees who flee from syria to the israeli border, but instead of focusing on any of their experiences (are they just sitting in the desert for days? what happened to them in syria? how did they walk hundreds of miles with no food or water?), they're literally a plot device to have the main character get to israel

at various points the show tries to do something interesting... like examine how refugee experiences are universal from the middle east to the american south, but than abandons those threads to do try to create moments which are supposed to make you go 'woah'

It's bad. Really bad. Maybe it gets better? Maybe theres ANY character development?

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 2, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ooof. I was hoping it'd be an exploration of blind faith and the messiah guy would be a fake or something. Or at least have him actually be the devil or something who gets a shitton of evangelicals following him!

I didn't finish the series, maybe it gets better? Maybe those things happen? But, uh, it's real bad.

It just feels exploitative and dishonest. Refugee issues are important and serious, and summarizing them with your messiah character telling a US immigration judge that 'you were born here out of fate... and what is fate but the will of God?' is just insulting

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

every so often I remember that Hannibal existed as a TV show on NBC for 3 seasons* and still can't believe it -- such a ridiculous show with such amazing visuals, it is unbelievable that somehow NBC authorized a show where corpses were lovingly and carefully display as insects, towers, color wheels, and then shot better than most movies

maybe NSFW?

edit: 3 seasons!

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 25, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

whoops. I don't know if there has been a more beautiful tv series in the last 10 years, and probably not a series that has shown death more beautifully and creatively

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Is that really a good thing?

With game of thrones there was this whole series online called "beautiful death" that would do like a painting of major GOT characters dying, and it seemed really weird and creepy to me.

Like some kind of bizarre obsession. Making such a big deal of "beautiful death" seems like you're treating the show like a snuff film. Its just.... weird. Macabre, but in a creepy way.

I mean I like talking about philosophy as much (or more) than the next guy, but particularly obsessing about the visuals involved in death just seems like maybe not a good or healthy idea really. It seems exploitative in a way.

Now, Hannibal was a beautiful show, no doubt, I really liked it. Sorry to pick on you, I just, I've seen people expressing feelings like that and it just seems kinda not good to me.

Death is a part of life and storytelling as a result, but getting too hyped over depictions of death turns television entertainment into like, mock Roman blood-sport or something.

I think you can show death without glorifying it, which is where you probably run into some problems. There's no confusion that Hannibal is a Bad Guy and that these deaths are bad things -- theres no sympathy for him as a character, there's no justification for him killing the people he kills -- they're just presented artistically, which probably is better than Random Cop Procedural where 10 people are murdered each episode (and the characters gun down people all the time).

I'd also say Hannibal takes death (and presents death) more seriously than most crime/police procedurals.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hannibal was part of NBC's weird trend of trying to put at least one "prestige" show on the air, even if they had no place for it at all. I remember SouthLAnd and Emerald City being other attempts to bring big dick streaming energy to the channel, neither of them being much in the way of commerical success.

Oh, and American Crime on ABC was, if anything, stranger IMO. The school shooting episode that had documentary interviews with Columbine survivors is probably the most off-brand thing that channel's ever produced.

Hannibal was really, really, instantly gory in way I haven't seen on network TV since.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea, Hannibal is basically a supernatural character, he's not an anti-hero and he's not an inspiration. he's like some dark evil force. this isn't You Season 1 where people are tweeting about how they wish Joe would stalk them. they show had many striking, beautiful visuals outside of the bodies, too.

(I do get your overall point though -- but I think it just kind of is what it is.)

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I know I mention this every time someone Hannibal comes up but, Dolarhyde's faked suicide in season 3 is incredibly hosed up and I can't believe they got it to network uncensored. Like I was in legit open-mouthed shock. Few horror movies ever affected me like that.

The scene where the guy escapes from the color wheel body mural and peels his skin off his face is loving gruesome and I was also shocked that made it past the censors.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea, because uh, that scene was clearly a reference to a number of things, obviously the Hirst installation, but also including the Human Bodies exhibit and a scene in the Hannibal novel... I don't think it's supposed to be 'original' in any way?

also starting rewatching Hannibal, and its eery how well they present Hannibal as an inhuman devil-like force of evil with no motives beyond abstract curiosity (also the subtle vampire cues, i.e. always asking permission before he enters a room)

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 26, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Has anyone else really enjoyed the French War of the World remake? It's airing on EPIX in the US. It's really good - very character focused, focuses on the tension/stress of the experience and avoids getting bogged down in special effects; brutal its in execution.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Its a remake, and the attack takes place over the first 2 episodes, which is all that's aired so far. Its very different from the book -- the aliens land pods which emit an electromagnetic pulse that instantly kills most people

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yea itís much better than the garbage BBC show

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Two specific things I liked in the first two episodes and found quite surprising for the genre:

1. In the first episode: Gabriel Bryne's son works as a social media manager for the UK government and Gabriel Byrne is some sort of neurologist/researcher. He figures out that the electromagnetic field emitted by a bunch of objects that crash landed into earth is identical to a field he studies that interferes with human brain function and will eventually kill everyone in range. He calls his son and asks his son to tell a senior UK government official, and when the son does the official says "yea that's basically what our scientists say, too, but we don't know if it'll happen and we don't want to cause a panic" - wow there are actually other competent scientists!

2. In the second episode one of the main characters comes across a lost little girl who survived the attack in a storm drain and has a bunch of sweet moments with her. A few scenes later she's killed by an alien. I was surprised that they killed off a child in such a brutal way.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I guess I'm the only person watching War of the Worlds but jesus christ, this show, it is loving brutal. Perhaps the grimmest post-apocalyptic style TV show I've seen, period. Makes The Walking Dead look like Sesame Street.

The British Minister with the bodies of her murdered children and then her suicide, this show does not pull any punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Its on EPIX. Hopefully you have a friendly boomer to leach streaming off of.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 3, 2020