Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I watched the first episode of Tiger King with my wife and it's already the most insane thing I've ever seen, I can't imagine how much crazier it will get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Was the documentary being disingenuous about Carole Baskin not paying her staff?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just finished watching all of Tiger King. Crazy story and everything but can we talk about how I Saw A Tiger kinda slaps if we're being quite honest??

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason the doc doesn't go into the music. Where Joe hired two guys to write and perform it without pay by saying it was for the reality show.

There was something in an earlier episode about how Joe got some other group to write the songs and didn't use his own vocals, but I don't remember hearing that he didn't pay them. Which seems on-brand for Joe Exotic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No respect for the lil bitches who don't go for the high note in Gethsemane.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I should probably watch I Am Not Okay With This because it basically appears to be Life is Strange with the serial numbers filed off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I Am Not Okay With This isn’t that similar to Life is Strange, but it’s still worth a watch for the last episode especially.

Well it's only about a teenage girl who moves to a new town and discovers her latent superpowers while falling in love with her best friend. There are also dead dads.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I like Villaneuve's psychological thrillers better than his sci-fi. Enemy and Prisoners were both super good, and they came out in the same year! Arrival was pretty good but it was a TV movie script elevated by the acting and direction, and BR2049 was a big disappointment to me. Felt like it totally missed the mark on understanding Blade Runner, poor script with underwritten female characters, and at least 45 minutes too long. I don't care what he does with Dune though because nobody's ever gotten it right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Enemy is one of those great movies where questions like "which Jake Gyllenhall is the real one" reveal the uselessness of even asking such a question.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Croatoan posted:

You are literally the first poster I've seen poo poo on BR 2049. I thought it 100% hit Ridley's original intent. Meaning, the answer to "is he a replicant?" is "does it matter? What makes you a human?". I also thought Joi was great and purposefully (possibly) hollow in the end. But yeah I think 20-45 minutes could have been cut but it was still fuckin amazing.

Ridley Scott's stated intent for Blade Runner means very little to me, since he's full of poo poo about half the time and would probably freely admit this himself. I just think that BR2049, thematically, is an incurious sequel to Blade Runner as a film, which already asked all the same questions and addressed them more succinctly and intelligently. BR2049 suffers primarily from a weak script that is obsessed with plot over characters, builds toward a twist that isn't all that interesting, introduces all these story threads like the replicant uprising that go nowhere, and has mouthpieces for the movie's themes speak in grandiose terms about Replicant Jesus that are just very tonally off from everything that has been established about this world. This is a society in decay, one that has already ceded its humanity, so the search for the One Replicant to rule them all makes no sense to me here. It's telling to me that Joi, a total nothing of a character whose dialogue is 100% expository, is what people cleave onto in this script. I don't blame Villaneuve except for the overlong runtime, but I think the writing in BR2049 is really weak.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I finished watching I Am Not Okay With This and I enjoyed it. I think the writing really grows in confidence after the first couple episodes where everything feels kind of rushed. A rare example where having a longer runtime would have helped, at least in the beginning. The soundtrack and leads, especially Wyett Olaf as Stanley, were all great. The final minutes of the first season where the tone abruptly shifts from teenage melodrama to a Sam Raimi film were amazing -- my wife and I were laughing the entire time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've been watching Bojack Horseman with my wife, and we're up to the second season now. When it first came out I thought it was just one of those Adult Swim type meme shows, and I guess it is to a certain extent, but it manages to be really funny while also getting into some unexpectedly real poo poo. I thought the episode near the beginnining of S2 where Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter get in a fight was really well-written, because it manages to be the exact kind of argument that married couples have all the time while also being comical and absurd. I also liked how it resolved in a realistic way without the usual relationship-ending revelations you tend to see in episodic TV melodrama. Bojack himself being a total disaster of a person that you still somehow want to succeed despite his constant self-sabotage is both entertaining and frustrating to watch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Who could forget Brad Dourif's iconic performance in Myst III Exile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3iOWWIRtg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My wife and I finished the second season of Bojack Horseman. It was pretty great all throughout, but the last few episodes were incredible. I think they saved their first use of the word "gently caress" for that one scene and they couldn't have done it at a better time. Wow. Also as a runner, I connect deeply with the old dude's mantra of "it gets easier every day. But you gotta do it every day, that's the hard part."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That production is cursed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I think people should stop trying to make arthurian fiction a thing. It's not gonna happen.

I remember really liking that Merlin TV miniseries with Sam Neill, but I wonder if it held up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Knights of the Round summon in FF7 was, all things considered, probably the best contribution of Arthurian legend to contemporary art.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Let's go inside the mind of a Ken Jennings. *drrreeeedoeooooeoep*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bentacos posted:

It's a faaaake

It's false. A complete fabrication. The fictive inventions of a writer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finished Season 3 of Bojack Horseman. It consistently impresses me how things you think are going to be one-off gags continually weave themselves back into the story in sometimes absurd, sometimes enormously hosed-up ways. I also think there must be a lot of endurance runners writing for this show because 1) most runners are inherently anxious people, and 2) the themes consistently return back to running as a form of escape or self-improvement.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am devastated that I Am Not Okay With This got cancelled. This is like one of two shows on Netflix that I don't instantly fall asleep for, and you can the whole thing after THAT season ending?! Shameful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finished S4 of Bojack Horseman. I found the dementia episode to be uniquely hard to watch, everything about it was absolutely terrifying. This show has a great ability to transition seamlessly between the tragic and absurd.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not GLOW too noooooooo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have a serious question about the Queen's Gambit: Is the chess realistic? This might sound like a joke but one thing I can't stand about depictions of chess in movies and film is when the writers have clearly never played chess and the pieces are just moving all over the place!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Extremely realistic, yes. When she plays 10 matches at once, she is making all the correct moves any time you can see her moving pieces. It's very cool.

Hm that is cool, I might have to watch this now. Especially since Kasparov was apparently a consultant on the show, the man could play a mean game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anya Taylor-Joy has that Maggie Gyllenhall vibe of being really beautiful and also really funny-looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

esperterra posted:

An AssCreed show that focuses on one ancestor per season is a pretty good idea.

So they probably won't do it.

True Detective only all crimes are solved by waiting for the suspects to enter a narrow hallway one by one and shank them.