Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as the plot time spread, that's just a couple of flashbacks. Sure it spans thousands of years but very little of interest to the plot happened between the start and end of those thousands. And the places where it does jump more freely are intentionally disorienting in the books. "Evil seductress lusting over the protagonist's prior incarnation and settling for him instead but not happy about it" doesn't take much to explain. The rest is really going to come down to editing choices. Jordan was interested in weaving a world more than writing just one story, and even just narrowing the view down to the main characters it'll be a lot of figuring what to leave in and how to pace it. If they're not trying to do it right it's gonna be a mess, and if they do try to do it right there's going to be some hard choices. One whole book is a temporal reset, everyone's storylines got so out of sync that one character was in two places at the narratively same time so they used a global event to jump between everyone and say "where were they when X went down." That's pretty easy (relatively speaking) to fix in a new production, if they remember to actually do it instead of sticking to a "one book a season" formula.

It's the series where even when the author was trying to write everyone's way to the ending it didn't happen until after he died and they brought in someone else whose only job was to go through the notes, draw a straight line between where characters were and where they had to be for the big event, and follow it. But since Jordan DID write the characters as interesting characters whoever you cut is going to legitimately be somebody's favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Speaking of Sherlock shows, I haven't seen Elementary since that season where his dad showed up. Did it stay good?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. I keep meaning to pick it back up, but that's the story of everyone's TV backlog.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish The Pretender was better remembered

My family loved that show. Then it ended abruptly. Then they made a finale movie! Then that movie ended abruptly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think Pretender was my first exposure to a show that introduced two more questions for every one answered but had no clue when to stop doing that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Link that vid.

I watched some scenes from Superman Returns and got really bummed about the state of current superhero fare. It's a flawed as hell film, but I was shocked at how effective and tense its action scenes were because it actually felt like people were in danger rather than it all being a big low-stakes cartoon.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pksh3l0iCPo

Let's see if that breaks auto-embed enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Like the good/bad CG argument, it all comes down to knowing what your talent can do and how to enhance that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I ain't gonna show respect for a legume that's tried to kill me for 35 years, no matter how they dress up the coffin.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Your bloodline is weak.

I have an extra ability to spot dickheads. That's not weakness, it's evolution.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuL5jyCHOw

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

How does Remington Steele hold up? I realized recently that I'd had it conflated with the Sean Bean Sharpe series. I didn't realize it had such a fun premise.

I enjoyed it when I watched it, but that was mostly as background noise when focusing on the computer so I may have missed some "yikes" stuff. But it's a fun premise that gives the leads good chances to play off each other and I think it was pretty groundbreaking for the time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's incredibly good television, and I'm embarrassed to say I only just got what the title is referring to.

Enlighten me? I'm still missing it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of game movies, Paul Anderson has moved from doing lame Resident Evil movies and is working on a Monster Hunter movie, of course starring Milla Jovovich.

I really like monhun but like Mario it doesn't really have the material for a movie and I kinda wish they would leave it alone and just come up with their own IP.

Tony Jaa is in it though and he looks pretty great in costume

From what I've seen it's your basic "modern soldier gets transported to fantasy world and shoots dragons" movie. I wonder if they'll include any of MH's general themes of ecology getting thrown out of whack.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Matrix sequels were interesting ideas that weren't conveyed too well, the confusion highlighted more by how solid the original was. Jupiter Ascending was very pretty and a nice gender-reversal of similar cheesecake sci-fi stories. I don't know if Ninja Assassin can be called good by some all-encompassing metric but it has a fun time reveling in its flavor of cheesiness. Granted, I saw Ninja Assassin and Jupiter Ascending on a couch with friends and alcohol and that atmosphere definitely flavored my enjoyment of the movies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like Matt, but it'll be a shame to lose Sandi.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Too soon, man.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

tk posted:

Getting dressed in the morning to work from home kind of sucks, but when you finish working and get to change out of your clothes it is awesome.

Yeah, I'd say it's important to have *something* in your routine to draw a hard line between work and non-work. When those lines blur it can get draining real quick, and that can happen more easily in work-from-home (though not exclusively).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm very pleasantly surprised that Elementary managed to duck all that. Holmes and Watson have a relationship that grows as the show goes on but it's never a romantic one. As least in the seasons I saw, I really hope they kept that up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

swickles posted:

Yeah modern zoos are basically now stewards of animals that can't be released in the wild either due to injury, loss of parents and lack of developing survival skills, or born in captivity. They are also the only way many species don't go extinct.

A museum by my Mom has a mountain lion (...had a mountain lion? One of their rescues died recently and I can't recall which) that was illegally owned as a pet, defanged/declawed, and then just released when it got to be too big. It couldn't feed itself and was used to humans so it approached a hiker and scared the bajeesus out of him. Hiker called the rangers, one came out with some drugged meat and a pen, then the two of then got to carry a sleeping cat back out to where the ranger had been able to park. Great as a museum cat since it was used to people and could be provided for without getting stressed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

Who the gently caress vet willingly defanged/declawed a loving mountain lion, holy poo poo. That poor kitty

Someone willing to work with illegal exotic cat sellers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That sounds like something said just before the militia starts attacking the capitol building.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I mean, there's also the fact that Dune, the novel, was pretty bad.

Dune was fine, though it's also fine to dislike it, it's that sort of book. Everything post-Dune... eurgh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Also, apparently IMDB TV is a thing because they've ordered a 13 episode revival of the TNT series Leverage with most of the original cast returning (although Aldis Hodge is only going to be recurring as his Showtime series is set to film at the same time.) Timothy Hutton is out and Noah Wyle is in.

They're doing what now? SCHWING!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Oh I agree on round robins being effective, but this was a quadruple elimination for some, and a single knockout for others. Someone could go 9th 9th 9th 3rd and qualify, while another driver had one shot to finish top 3 out of 12 or go home. Especially considering the people who'd run early round got a chance to run certain challenges in the previous rounds.

It bugged the sports side of me, and narratively they didn't do much with it either. Just gave lovely odds to some drivers for what looks like no reason at all, which is extra poo poo when it looks like the show offered no financial support to get there, not that there was prize money anyway.

If I played around with numbers for a while I could probably figure out a seeding that made that at least sorta satisfying. I've got this vague memory of hearing about something similar in children's bike racing or something, where they have a lot of competitors but most are rubbish, but I'll have to think about it for a bit and see if I can recall what I read, I think I'm mixing up two stories.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

When I left my previous job about 4 years ago, my coworkers decided to surprise me with a farewell lunch on my last day. Only, the surprise was actually that they'd be taking me to a loving strip club on a weekday because my coworkers swore up and down that they had really fantastic steak specials. I am not a strip club guy. I am certainly not a "get a lunch special steak at the strip club with your coworkers" guy. It was hands-down one of the worst steaks I've ever had. Tough as poo poo, gristly, done ten levels beyond Well, and I'm sitting there trying to eat it in the loving dark, stuck in a vinyl-covered chair that's just way too loving deep and covered in sweat stains, in a strip club that's completely empty besides myself and my coworkers at 11:45 on a friday. It's forever ingrained in my memory as one of the most unpleasant meal experiences I've ever had.

Anyway, I'm watching this episode of Chopped from about 4 years ago and, lo and behold, who should show up as one of the competitors? The loving executive chef of that piece of poo poo club! And he starts going on and on about how his place actually has great food and people show up at lunch just for his cooking and how he's there on Chopped to prove that a strip club chef can compete, yada yada yada. Then, he refuses to use the hot dog basket ingredient in the loving hot dog themed competition ("I would only ever eat a hot dog if I had to survive on a desert island" ) and gets chopped in the very first round for trying to make a vinaigrette out of it.

I have never been so happy to see someone get CHOPPED

It wasn't the Acropolis was it? Their shtick is having "really good steaks" which actually means "really cheap steaks" because the (former, he died last year) owner also owned a cattle ranch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yup, that's what I saw too. We even had prop malfunctions (the snakes didn't fire immediately and crow's jaw fell off at one point.) It honestly added to the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISRRn3wolk prop accidents are best.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

While there are plenty of real instances of intentional and malicious joke theft, I tend to think that the majority of instances we hear about are either parallel evolution or internalizing the joke of another comic, forgetting its origin, then later thinking you came up with it. It's easy to do when you're constantly hearing and forgetting a ton of jokes from all your peers. Musicians talk about it happening to them too—did I come up with that or did I hear it somewhere?

Robin Williams was famous for that, since his routine was so stream-of-consciousness. I can't recall who it was that said if you told him he used one of your jokes he'd reply "probably, sorry, how much do you want" and take out his checkbook.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Williams was at least 60 percent delivery. He could take the dumbest joke and make you laugh til you fell out of your chair. I went into listening to some of his standup last month when I was sick in a “harrumph” kind of mood and had to turn it off so I didn’t fuckin’ die. On premises like “golf is silly, isn’t it”?

Absolutely, that and the fact that he owned up to it was why nobody really held it against him. Wish I could remember who told that story, it was someone in a memorial show soon after his death.

E: or maybe it was a response to another comedian getting called out for joke theft and using Williams as an "everyone does it" excuse. Curse my non-flawless memory!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't remember, did Fringe intend to do it that way or was it cobbled in to hide how bad Leonard Nimoy was doing those days?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/s...740898653310977

Hey it's the first TV moral panic I remember. Sometimes when a character on a show talks about sucking dick or how someone is doing anal sex I recall these days and imagine what those people who were actually mad about single mom Murphy Brown must think

People were really concerned about Bart Simpson's sassmouth in 1990.

I was at an age where I wasn't following the news enough to have caught Quayle's firing shots, but I remember Murphy Brown's response on the show.

"And in lighter news, somebody dumped a truckload of potatoes on Dan Quayle's front step this morning. It's lucky he didn't misspell manure."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm suddenly kind of sad I don't pay more attention to broadcast tv and aren't witnessing the trainwreck of pandemic television closer.

The Last Leg has started doing "Lockdown-Under" (because the host is at home in Australia) episodes and the show has such a shoestring let's-wing-it style anyway it actually feels charming. Just three friends hanging out slinging jabs at each other, then some guest spends five minutes trying to get their Skype working.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

What's majima? Also, Minhee Seo and Mr. Lee seem like they could be friends at the end of all this. I please need something happy after these ten episodes.

Character from the Yakuza games. Scary gang leader, obsessed with the main character, in the Kawami remakes he (intentionally) becomes an exaggerated parody going through scary and out the other side.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My grandfather is a Korea vet who bascially cackles every time Tom Lehrer comes up on PBS. He’s 90 and loves TV.

He also told me to drop Tom Lehrer’s National Brotherhood Week on you guys.

https://youtu.be/aIlJ8ZCs4jY

He mostly just bitches about English shows. . If I buy him an account would y’all treat him well?

Who doesn't cackle at Tom Lehrer? When I was a kid my dad recognized him on an Electric Company song and apparently we expressed interest because a couple of years later for Christmas he proudly gave us a couple of Lehrer's CDs and was surprised we didn't remember the conversation at all and didn't know who this guy was.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Will we ever get a break from serial killers and grimdark cops in prestige dramas. I'm into the actors in the trailer and it looks like it's beautifully shot but ugh it looks like the type of show I've seen a billion times now except with shocking child death. I rather watch more The Last Kingdom or something fun like Banshee.

My frustration with the trailer is that it's cut like he's a PI or detective rather than a defense attorney. The difference can be subtle, particularly since in some stories Mason intentionally went after the truth instead of settling for just protecting his client in court, but I would be happier if the trailer focused more on the accused who needs Mason's help when nobody else believes her, rather than the Noir-heavy lone clue-seeker uncovering a conspiracy.

Though my experience is with the TV show rather than the books, so while I know he's always been an attorney I don't know what the tone was in those stories.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

feedmegin posted:

von Braun was quite happy to use slave labour to get V2s get built, even though it was killing them at a higher rate than said V2s were causing casualties. He also became a Party member in 1937 and joined the SS in 1940. He might not necessarily have been slavering to exterminate all the Jews but he was by any sensible definition of the word a Nazi.

Once the rockets go up who cares where they come down?
"That's not my department" says Werner von Braun

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I mean, you've got the plot of making a Batwoman-killing gun right there. Just have her take a kryptonite bullet to a not-quite-lethal area, say something to Luke and Mary about keeping Gotham's hope going, and then stagger off to some sort of retirement while they get to find, recruit, and train the new Batwoman.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I had heard it's actually just a bit of ceramic in there that does it, a tiny speck hard enough to shatter glass because of how physics be I guess. Always wanted to try it or buy a handful of those ceramic chunks to keep in my pocket just in case a swarm of cars attacks me

I assume multiple parts of a spark plug can if you use it right, but yeah they're made with a particular type of ceramic that is very hard and breaks to very clean and sharp edges/points. If you have something that comes to a small point and is hard enough to not waste much energy deforming on impact, you can break the window with relatively little force since it's made to withstand glancing blows or ones spread over a larger area of the sort a car will more likely encounter (this is why those pointed window hammers will break it more easily than a regular hammer). With a piece of that spark plug casing you can practically just lob it against a window to break it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As long as there aren't
code:
**foreign language being spoken***
subtitles on top of actual translation subtitles, I'm happy.

I'm really annoyed because there's one scene in The Love Parade where someone goes on a rant in rapid French and every transcription I've found just says *rapid French*. Understanding it isn't necessary for the joke, it's frustrating because I know enough French to catch a bit but not enough to parse something that rapid.

Also annoying because the songs/dances from that movie are on Youtube but I haven't been able to find that scene to step through piece by piece.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a few episodes of Daredevil with the descriptive audio for the blind and it was really interesting. The narrator was really into it especially in the action scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4 was a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You can't, ABC delays shows a week. At least they did last time I checked and said "gently caress that." It's released right after the next episode ends, so there's no window to catch up.