Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the current ep is ending in 20 minutes, but last week's ep is on their website. maybe it's different for each show

With a large lock on it and requests a cable login when clicked. Maybe they do it by time zone, I'm over on the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

I've been watching Person of Interest this week and I've been enjoying it. But it's awfully convenient that all the numbers coming out just happen to be people in NYC. Or did I miss some throwaway line at the beginning about them ignoring people outside the city? Anyway, I'm almost done with the first season and that was just a random thought that crossed my mind.

One can assume that the algorithm is filtering for numbers people can do something about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I liked The Last Leg Lockdown(-Under) because the show's got such a shoestring feel anyway everyone trying to get Zoom working fit right in. Have I Got News for You felt very off in comparison, that one really relies on the audience for pacing.

If you didn't catch the credits at the end of this QI Sandi said they have one more without an audience and then it's back to normal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arist posted:

By "harm" I'm pretty clearly referring to actual complaints about that content, of which I have heard none. I don't think pre-emptively removing that stuff sans any kind of context is the right approach. Why is removal the first and only option?

Are you in a position where you would have heard about it? Surprisingly not every complaint these days is viral on Twitter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On top of the people doing it intentionally (and there are plenty who do it intentionally while swearing up and down they didn't mean it) there's also the issue when making punchlines out of terrible things that humor-impaired folks will just reference the horrible thing and think that's the same as telling a joke. South Park's probably the biggest example since Cartman was overtly racist and horrible in every way but that didn't stop people from saying "shut up Jew" in a squeaky voice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, especially the Shaun/Gus dynamic. It’s great how they act as each other’s straight man.

Speaking of which, if "comedic guy invents bizarre cover story for straightman friend who then has to go along with it" is a shtick you find physically painful, give the show a pass. Every episode, I personally can't stand it and it's a shame because I like everything else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I personally prefer the theory that its happening but like no one really wants the job where you travel thousands of light years across galaxies to anally probe noisy alien animals that bite and poop and have a lot of projectile weapons. So we just have a bunch of incompetent ones collecting random science data instead of the best of the best plotting some evil scheme.

I mean, wouldn't that be the most like us? I mean sure, they'd probably be racists or perverts too but just not like competent or important ones.

One guy with experience and a bunch of student volunteers. Half of whom are interested but over-enthusiastic and naive, half are just there for the course credit and completely checked out, and half are there for the alien equivalent of hippy-dippy "getting back to nature and communing with the planet" BS. Yes, that's three halves, deal with it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They should've just had him for Dark Helmet in Spaceballs and made that the gag.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

double nine posted:

you're likely to get a temperature shock if you go swimming and there's a sharp temperature difference in the water, usually when the water suddenly becomes a lot deeper. That can cause you to drown no matter how good a swimmer you are

Yeah, "heart-stoppingly cold" isn't a figure of speech. Well, it is, but it sure as heck feels that way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

pro tip: you can wear a mask in your tinder pic now to hide your disgusting mug without looking insane

I am so self-conscious of my teeth, mask season has been wonderful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Larry's karaoke scene was amazing.

That's the one that sold me on the show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When do we get Snakes on a Money Plane?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

2020: Oh God what now?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSb8PHjom4 is the scene that stuck with me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

The award for dumbest first day move by a streaming platform goes to Peacock. Congrats!

https://twitter.com/PeacockTVCare/status/1283478005759778823

No support for HDMI via PC in 2020. Jesus Christ.

What does that mean? I have an HDMI cable running from my PC to my monitor, is this some different HDMI or are they saying I'd actually need to scrounge up a DVI to watch?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

One thing I think that’s unique to Jeopardy is that there’s a sense the host is smart and knows many of the questions. Ken Jennings has that cured and LeVar does not.

The guy did a show about reading and learning for what, 20 years? What are your criteria here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I have determined that Batman 66 is the best television show of all time. It's not even a close contest.

When I'd only seen short clips and stills I thought it was a serious show done badly. Makes a lot more sense after I realized it was in on the joke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

As long as there's a Naval officer within half a mile of the incident NCIS gets jurisdiction.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

They're doing this by states and really you're going to have 3-5 types of song and none of the bonkers poo poo

Let's see...
--Generic pop song
--Uber-nationalist Country ballad
--Local flavor of an ethnic group we've been oppressing for centuries gets to take the stage as we pretend we've always valued them.
--White blond lady sings tribute to local ethnic group we've been oppressing for centuries.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I always wondered what states like wyoming did in place of texas history as a kid

In New Mexico we talked a bit about the Conquistadors and tribal history (nothing detailed, just enough to not pretend bad poo poo didn't happen which is a fair bit more than most folks seem to get), and also made fun of Texas history.

Thanks to the textbook consortium being steered by Texas, even Wyoming learns Texas history.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I was talking to a coworker today about my lasagne recipe and she told me about something her neighbor does that we both thought was completely bizarre. Her neighbor puts a layer of noodle on top, nothing on it and then when it is done cooking they remove the noodle and throw it away.

I guess it can keep the layer underneath moist if you have a strong aversion to crispy bits, but I quite like the top layer noodles because they're so crispy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

By Will Smith and the same person who made this fan film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3ISIM_kU8

I was all set to roll my eyes when I clicked on that but I'm impressed, it actually works.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If they play it as a comedy that could be hilarious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1298949632379121665

I can already see exactly how this is going to go. No real action until episode 8, just episode after episode of flashbacks to tension between Albert Wesker and Mrs. Wesker.

*opening a chest in the attic* Says here dad was involved with something called "The Umbrella Project"?

Somewhat related: I marginally liked Lucifer when it was on Fox but the procedural framing was too much for me. I quit mid-season the season with his mom, I think. Anyway I've heard it's much better on Netflix, would it be possible to just pick the series back up at the Netflix seasons or are there Revelations of Dire Import I'd be missing

I really hope "Wesker kids" means someone's rebooted Spencer's eugenics program rather than Albert just being a dad and they go full Resident Evil. If by the end of the first season we don't have T-virus giant wasps carrying people off as one of the siblings cackles madly, I'm not interested.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I kind of hate "street magic" as a subgenre because it's like a pointless extra layer of lies on top of the basic lie that all magic tricks are. They just plant dudes and then have them act all amazed at things that are happening just out of frame or that they obviously participated in, and sell that as "more real" because they did it on a sidewalk with a crappy handheld instead of a stage. It lacks the charm of a straightforward magic show, to me.

Actual street magic is great because you need to be really dang good to fool someone standing right in front of you instead of on the other side of a TV screen or halfway across the theater. I agree about the other kind though.

Blane's "magic" is more circus sideshow geek stuff.

Edit: actually I'm a bit torn on geek-type "magic" because there are some folks who mix it into actual magic (by which I mean slight of hand trickery) to blur the line in a stylish manner. You think you're watching basic freak stuff and then something goes beyond the possible-but-gross. I believe the Scam Nation guy does that for example.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 1, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can't slow zombies be about the inevitability of death while fast zombies are about the horrors of capitalism?

Agreed. Use the zombies that fit your metaphor for society.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

drat, dropping pickup lines like that at 80.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Now George, we've been over this. You can play with your castle after you finish your books.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

She-Hulk sounds like a super lame character but hey I used to think the entire Avengers team was D-list in the 90s so who knows what they can do.

From what I remember (disclaimer: I am not a comics expert) she's kinda what they made Banner in Endgame: someone at peace with her transformation and just goes on with her life. Maybe I missed some era where she was getting slammed with "character building" bummer arcs or X-treem badass 90s-style beatdowns across three two-page spreads, but mostly I remember a confident lawyer who superheroed on the side and snarked about meta-humor to a much (much) lighter degree than folks such as Deadpool.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not really that surprising, just sad. Grade school history basically ends at Reconstruction and the bulk of what you’re taught about civil rights and the Jim Crow era south focuses on the 60s. I wasn’t even aware of the Tulsa poo poo until I saw the show, and I’ve probably read more US history than the average viewer. It’s just something that’s been largely ignored by pop history until the last decade or so.

It honestly says more about the state of US education than the viewers.

Every moment of racism and oppression in school history books is presented as "X happened in this single place, and it was very sad, and then the subject was done and everything was fine. On to the next chapter."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did the original show do a riff on that scene as well? I tried to look it up but "jurassic park Animaniacs" is flooded with the new one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Huh, I've never looked this up before, lemme see- holy loving poo poo he was 12!? :stare:

Add him to the list of child actors who turned out okay

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zutaten posted:

Other than this the only other important thing is:

They're 900 years in their future now (1150 years from now now) in a bid to take some Important Data that a rogue AI from the future was planning to use to bootstrap its own creation, past the point of its own creation so it can't just try to grab it from the past again and kill all life in the galaxy (I hate time travel. don't ask) which apparently worked and now they're in the wild and weird never before seen year 3188 and Discovery just went from a prequel to a sequel like that.

If the show's delivery of that plot is as good as yours was, I need to be watching it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

She had been playing at "high level" competitions for years in the show when that is mentioned. You wouldn't see people tipping their king or saying check at the US championship, or plenty of levels of chess lower than that in domestic competition. It's something you would really only see in club chess, not rated tournaments, and plenty of club level players would still roll their eyes at it. Maybe it has changed somewhat since the sixties, but I mainly think it's just ingrained in the visual storytelling of chess.

I haven't played in a tournament in 20 years, but we said check and tipped kings.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Looks like CW is trying to do a Nancy Drewniverse by doing a backdoor pilot for an updated Tom Swift series in s2. Expect a Hardy Boys and Bobbsey Twins update in a couple of years.

Is Tom Swift the same as Tom Swifties?

"Honey inspires me" Tom said bemused.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a "Recommend me some poo poo to watch" thread? I'm down in the dumps, and want to watch something funny, and I guess I grew up because DBZ Abridged ain't doing poo poo for me. I just want something like that I guess, funny with action scenes, anime is ok.

If you have Netflix I like James Acaster's stand-up show. Funny, high energy, and wholesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pentyne posted:

Remember how I said Grimm was a casual binge watch.

Upon reflection, the Portland PD shoot a loving ton of people in this show. That many of them are monsters in disguise isn't a good look.

A decent number of whom are just monsters because the Good Guys declare them monsters, and are just trying to get by in life without drawing attention.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

On a related note, it's really funny to watch Portlandia these days and see it depicted as a twee paradise rather than an epicenter of the neo-Nazi movement.

Speaking of which, apparently some news channel has decided we're burning rubble again. Had two old friends contact me yesterday asking if I was all right, had any "message I wanted to send to the people watching".

Still haven't been able to figure out what the Hell's supposed to have just happened.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's probably going to be like how they are doing other panel shows; Mock the Week in particular has a smaller, separated audience and plexiglass between comedians. I also assume they are doing the testing thing, though who knows how things will go if the UK gets worse like the US is. OFC if Jimmy gets covid right before taping...

I liked one observation Adam Hills made on The Last Leg, "with an audience and Alex here it's a comedic monologue but with just the two of us I'm the guy you regret sitting next to on the bus."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Free trial time!