Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m finally getting around to watching Parks and Rec.

Boy season 7 loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Djarum posted:

It has it's moments unlike season 1. Season 1 is so bad that I watched the first couple of episodes when it was new and didn't give it a try for years afterward since I couldn't believe that it got any better.

Season 1 is something I can forgive because they were feeling themselves out.

Season 6 was great and could have ended the series. I’m only four episodes in, but Season 7 loving sucks and ruins all the characters.

My Parks and Rec season ranking:

5 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 7

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I hope it'll get better because boy are these first few episodes some of the worst poo poo in the world.

But I just generally don't like the time skip to begin with.

(I still stand with that they should have ended the show at the end of Season 6.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Another Parks and Rec thing - Watching Parks and Rec for the first time in 2019/2020 can certainly be... rough in points. The political optimism is awkward as hell in today's political climate and a lot of the stuff like fawning over Biden is cringy at best.

I know they couldn't predict 2016, but boy do I feel like Parks and Rec, if it came out today and not when it did, would be a dramatically different show.

Also - with Season 7, I think the Grizzyl stuff loving sucks and is stupid as hell.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Hm, so I just looked up Grizzyl because I didn't really remember it and I think I spent a lot of time doing other things while season 7 was on my TV.

It's basically an amalgamation of Facebook/Amazon/Google. But it manifests in really loving stupid ways in the show (like everyone having phones with holograms on them). It's really goofy in a not good way. Like, I know this was supposed to be the "future season" but it's not that much in the future. The season aired in 2015 and was set in 2017.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I believe you mean “focused on its characters that weren’t Tom Haverford”. I’m on S3 of the rewatch and for a character you’re supposed to like and root for he’s just the worst human being on the show. Like, Jean-Ralphio is a shithead but at least he often gets dunked on.

I also, really got tired of the constant dunking on Jerry after a few seasons. I'm glad he and Ben became friends, but I feel like that should have happened multiple seasons sooner. 5+ seasons of everyone just being ruthlessly mean to him loving sucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Arist posted:

I mean....

that's clearly the joke

Well... it's not a good joke.

And I'm finding that I feel like a lot of the jokes in this show probably played really well at the time when it first aired but really don't age well at all.

I don't want to make it seem like I hate the show, because I really really enjoy it. But there were just these handful of things that stood out as really awkward when watching it for the first time in the present.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't watch The Office, 30 Rock, or P&R until a few years ago and of them, The Office was unwatcheable, P&R was alright to good, and 30 Rock was great.

Yeah, I never watched any of them when they were out. The Good Place was actually my first Mike Schur show (I started right after season 2 aired). I remember trying Parks and Rec when its first season was airing but never got back to it. P&R has some really really great moments and it definitely has way more highs than lows but I feel like what I feel like are the low points in the show when watching it today are different than how people would have felt when it first aired.

I can't even imagine trying to watch The Office. It seems like such a place and time show.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The Jerry joke always felt like an artifact of that first season that they were just too stubborn to get rid of for some reason. It just never made sense that Leslie in particular would be so cruel to this harmless guy. The show was always trying to make it ok with making his life awesome or having him give a pep talk or selling that the office needs one punching bag or just having the characters realize they're being assholes. But like, it just kept going and it never really made sense.

Except Tom. It always made sense that Tom was an rear end in a top hat to Jerry. Because Tom is a terrible person.

The thing that really stood out to me was in season 6 when Jerry has a talking head segment and directly addresses that he knows everyone is making fun of him constantly and he's the butt of everyone's joke. It was an odd moment of self-awareness for the show and I wish that it had happened in like season 4. It made the Jerry character far more tragic imo because up until that point it's played as if he's unaware how mean everyone is to him.

But then it's also never touched on again?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just think it's funny imagining what Parks and Rec would look like if it started in 2018 and not 2009. There's such a political optimism (and Clinton-style liberal jerking off) that just doesn't play well post-2016.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Any scene where Leslie professes her love for Biden is pretty rough to watch now.

It's a really fascinating time capsule of people and their beliefs during the Obama administration. And pretty fascinating to see how delusional people became.

You can look at stuff like Parks and Rec and see "Oh yeah, poo poo like this is why Trump won."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

More Parks and Rec talk because I'm still working through season 7 -

I feel like the abbreviated season did more harm than good. You have really 7 distinct groups that they have to account for (Ben and Leslie), (Andy and April), Ron, Tom, Donna, Gerry, and Craig. But I feel like they don't have enough space in the abbreviated season to really explore the directions of every group. So everything ends up feeling really rushed and all the characters feel like they are distilled down to their top two character quirks with no depth beyond that.

This season is better than season 1, but I don't know if I'd say I'm having a better time than season 2. It's really close.

Just finished episode 10.

Current ranking: 5 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 2 = 7 > 1

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finally finished with Parks and Rec, still don’t think season 7 is very good. Find it amusing that, due to the time skip, Leslie is working for the Trump administration. The politics in the show certainly haven’t aged well at all. It was more ups than downs and I genuinely loved the show but wow has some stuff aged really loving poorly.

Can anyone recommend some other good comedies? I basically haven’t watched any comedy shows in the last 15 years due to the fact I’m ultra picky with comedy shows. And I generally find anything pre-2012 to be borderline unwatchable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

swickles posted:

If you liked Parks and Rec, check out Michael Schur's other shows Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place.

The Good Place is actually what got me to go and watch Parks and Rec.

I should probably give Brooklyn 99 a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Argue posted:

Community.

The first couple seasons of Community were good, but I felt like it quickly went up it's own rear end.