Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I watched the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Choose Your Own Adventure special. It made me laugh a few times and more often I had a huge grin on my face with regards to some of the weirder paths it went down. I found three or four easter eggs and based on what I've been reading on reddit, I only missed one (which is only available watching a certain scene for a third time).

I didn't see a thread or much discussion about it, but I recommend you check it out if you liked the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

The ads for The Office they're running on Comedy Central make me not want to watch the show any further and I'm 6 episodes in.

You're just getting to where the show really picks up steam. I'd watch until at least when Michael Scott leaves and then only further than that if you really, really feel the need, but its probably not worth it and might even feel like it's not worth it by the time you get there.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think some of the actual bits that make The Office click are when you find out how good Michael is at his job, and see how he could have been good as a salesman. How his dumb goofy persona can actually be an asset for him when he doesn't have to deal with people for an extended amount of time. Until you get those glimpses of him wielding his need to be likable "correctly", him ever being put in a position of power makes no sense. The ones that stand out to me are when he wins over Tim Meadows' guest character, and then when he's at the conference and nonchalantly reveals he made a huge deal with a supplier even though he really just wanted to throw a party. I think the writers realized the strength of that trope too, because they use it on Dwight and even Stanley at some point when they're all going out to make sales calls.

All of those moments culminate during season 5, and you root for Michael because while he's making terrible decisions most of the time, you get the sense that he can actually pull off what he's trying to do.

They also make him sympathetic with a feeling of "He's an idiot, but he's our idiot" where when his coworkers tease him or lead him to make a fool of himself they typically tend to do it in a way that is relatively harmless, but when people outside of the company do it, it typically comes across more like bullying, so it kind of puts people on the defensive on his behalf.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Honestly, I'm that guy. I'm excited as heck for Avatar 2. I really liked the first one, saw it in theaters a few times, and whenever James Cameron directs something it ends up at the very least entertaining as hell and usually a big event. I don't think it will do better than the first one unless it's actually good, but if it's good then I imagine that it's gonna be massive.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I am going to recommend my parents watch Community but I think that it really picks up with the type of humor and high level concepts that my father will like in Season 2. So, I'd like to skip some of the more "sitcom"-y episodes and get to where the show starts becoming more weird.

The episodes I'm thinking of skipping are: Spanish 101, Social Psychology (The Vaughn episode), the football episode, the episode where Jeff is homeless (another Vaughn episode), the episode where Chang and his wife have split, the religion episode, the episode with Annie and Vaughn (guess I just don't like Vaughn episodes), the family day episode, the april fool's episode, and the one with the stupid group of kids who keep saying Schmittty. Are any of those "must watches" for any of the sub-plots in them?

I think my father will most like the references to other types of pop culture, and absurd side plots, so episodes I'm expecting he'll like the most are the Poultry episode, the Sieze the Day episode, and the Paintball episode. Once we get to season 2 I feel like the show really embraces its weirdness so I'll probably recommend they watch the entirety of seasons 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

swickles posted:

Right, I knew that, but I was asking what religion episode he was referring too. It was I believe well received (compared to the others mentioned) so it was doubly confusing, while I understand that Messianic Myths was polarizing.

I guess the stuff with Anthony Michael Hall kinda rubs me the wrong way, the "bully on campus scheduling a fight" stuff is just so trope-y and not in a way I really appreciate. Plus my father is a prominent member of his church and it's been a while but if I recall correctly Shirley comes off as particularly unaccepting/intolerant of others' religion and the bad guy so although I don't forsee that being an issue I'd rather just leave it be. Maybe I should give it another chance.

As for Messianic Myths, my father is also a movie buff who has actually tried his hand at writing and directing and I think he'll appreciate the absurdity and the different shooting styles at the very least.

The episodes I am trying to choose to cut admittedly are just the ones I remember thinking while I was watching felt like a "normal" show, where my favorite episodes of community are by far when they do weird stuff. For example, even though it was silly, the trampoline subplot in season 2 was so out there and different with such a weird payoff (the racist guy) that I loved it. It didn't seem like the type of B-plot I'd see anywhere else. I would have cut the pilot if I didn't feel it was needed to set everyone up.