Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Season 2 of AC was well acted and well shot, but the story lacked grip and there wasn't any real mystery, it relied on exactly the same flow as Season 1 right down to Kovacs having a revelation montage scene at the end of episode 6, and the finale in particular was very weak in comparison to S1. I didn't care about S2 supporting character's family in the way that S1 made me care about supporting character's family. There was no antagonist with real menace, so rather than feeling worried for the protagonists I always felt like they were one inspired speech from convincing all their opponents to get on their side. Poe was again fantastic, but his plot existed as a parallel track that mirrored the theme of the season rather than being integrally interwoven with the other characters like it was in S1. It felt a bit like they had a certain number of actors for a certain number of shooting days and worked backwards from that to develop a script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pentyne posted:

They hitched their show to exploring the unknown mysteries of all that elder civilization stuff. Its a bad idea since the expanse is already doing that and Jeff Bezos is gonna fund that show for 10 seasons.

Nah that bit, to the extent they did it, is fine. The theme of the show is that every character is working out how to deal with trauma and how much memory makes up the person you are. The problem with S2 is that there's no mystery at all - really early on they reveal the common thread between who's being killed, the reason why is obvious, which makes the twist later on not actually a twist - it's the introduction of a character you don't care about at all. Whereas in S1 the twist character is revealed earlier, had always been an integral part of the plot, and the mystery held and was a good old Conan Doyle style 'the method was obvious all along, you just couldn't see it because you didn't understand the motives in play from the relevant characters'.

If they get a season 3 I don't think there was any indication they were going to go after the elder civilization stuff at all. None of the characters are on that path.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm actually okay with 'the holo transmitter Kovacs has on him at all times? DHF backup to Poe'.

The existence of the Elder itself was fine, because the big villain needs the same motivation as everyone else in the season but on a grander scale. But it would have been better if they'd stuck to the pacing of S1 and revealed it in Episode 5, so that Episodes 6, 7 and 8 could have been the build up to trying to defeat it. Instead too much resolution gets crammed into the final episode and it's all ultimately down to one fight sequence.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the other hand, Harmon is the only person in the entire me-too era to actually own his actions and apologise for them.

e: and I don't want to minimise just how lovely a person Harmon was at this time by all accounts (hell, his own is pretty comprehensive). But when people go on a journey to get better and do the decent thing that has to count for something or nobody will ever do it.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 8, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alhazred posted:

It honestly looks like he is doing his role in Star Trek Discovery in his sleep. But then again, so does everyone else.

I wondered the whole first half of the season why he looked like he was the only actor having fun in their role, and then it made sense.