Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvuUTbn_uWs&t=74s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCVB0tOSVQ

The newscast is en edit. The virus is called "Osaka Flu" in the show.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s amazing watching all the “predictive programming” nutjobs deny that there have ever been coronaviruses before.

It's not even coronavirus in the episode. The newscast is an edit from a different episode. The virus in the episode is a flu strain from Japan.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I just finished reading The City and the City and I was thinking it would make a good TV show and it turns out that they already made it a couple of years ago. Anyone watch it?

I couldn't understand half the dialogue, so I am waiting for a subtitled version.

The visuals were beautiful, though. There are shots of cross-hatched neighborhoods where you can clearly see the line between Beszel and Ul Qoma from color scheme and architectural styles.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

I always found it a little weird that a show about real life characters had a disclaimer saying that any resemblance to real life characters were coincidental.

https://slate.com/culture/2016/08/the-bizarre-true-story-behind-the-this-is-a-work-of-fiction-disclaimer.html

It's because of Rasputin.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is anyone talking about The Outsider anywhere? The story is pure schlock but it’s beautiful like True Detective and treats its characters seriously. I get serious whiplash imagining the shot-in-Vancouver version of the story that would have appeared syndicated on Saturday afternoon in 1998.

I loved the first two episodes but kinda lost interest after they killed Jason Bateman.

Also, I looked up the answer to the mystery in the book and found it pretty underwhelming. I'll see what the consensus is once it is all out.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Terries have no personality whatsoever. They're like hamsters. Just kind of... there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiWIOKKuyGE

TERRIES!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

The worst part of that is that they kept showing that scene in the "previously, on the Shield" recaps for like 9 seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2aINQduzqM

I think a goon made this.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Esteemed character actress Margo Martindale ain't someone to gently caress with

Fixed.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuUoeNNrB8

I had no idea this was happening!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching ZeroZeroZero, and Andrea Riseborough has the most amazing hairstyle.

How does that even work? It's like there are multiple layers.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

If you want an example of exactly how malicious and in bad faith the average internet male's justifications for their hatred of Lena Dunham are, I've posted the direct quote of the passage from the autobiography that right-wingers tried to call "bragging about being a child molester" below. In the same way that them calling Bernie Sanders's college essay about rape culture "being pro-rape" it's both comically and objectively false and also says a lot more about them than the person they've trying to tar and feather:

One of the conservative outlets misreported Dunham's age as seventeen instead of seven, so a lot of people still seem to think that Dunham confessed to playing with her sister's vagina as a teenager.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Even if the content were worth watching I'd never be able to listen to more than 3 seconds of that awful voice. Good thing the content isn't worth watching.

I don't know why they even bother with the voice since they never reference the serial killer stuff anymore. He is not even doing the voice consistently. There were several points where he seemed to forget about it and slipped back into normal Mike voice.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXTLsQBJSVc

I hope this becomes a series.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 20, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Please watch Blackadder for your own good. Laurie isn't in it til the 3rd series but it's an anthology show so you can skip right to that if you need to (though you'd miss some in-jokes and such).

Laurie is in season 2.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Mrs. America is really good so far. Love 2 see Tracey Ullman. The whole pro-ERA side is all around a lot more entertaining but the Schlafly stuff is good too.

Just lmao at anyone who says the show makes her even remotely sympathetic tho

I thought that the scenes of Schlafly suffering under patriarchy actually made her less sympathetic because they made it clear that she should have known better. She knew sexism was still a problem and just denied it publically to further her political career.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Wait a minute, Xena can't fly!"

"I told you, I'm not Xena. I'm Lucy Lawless."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grey Area posted:

Lao Ma taught Xena flying and lesbianism. (She can only fly in Chin, though.)

Are you unaware of this classic Simpsons episode?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rargphlam posted:

I'll check out the Refn show though. I heard... dubious things, but I will put up with a lot for the right atmosphere.

The great thing about TOTDY is that it is so incredibly boring that anything you watch afterward will seem fun and fast-paced in comparison. It also has a couple of cool scenes, in between the hours of characters staring off into space for 30 seconds between each line of dialogue.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only “good” white male characters on the show are Ken Cosgrove and maybe Stan, although I can’t remember if Ken said any racist poo poo in the early seasons and Stan started off a huge sexist before he mellowed out and became Grizzly Adams.

https://www.amazon.com/Punishment-X4-Ben-Hargrove-ebook/dp/B00AS10WRW

Speaking of Ken Cosgrove, I just learned that Amazon is actually selling his SF story, "The Punishment of X-4". Does anyone who actually wrote this, and if it is worth reading?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dreamland, Danger Island, and the space one, yeah. IIRC there were framing devices bookending each season and occasional nods during the episodes to the fact that he was in a coma.

I like that they tried doing something different, but I’m glad they’re going back to the “normal” version of the show because the only coma season I really enjoyed was Danger Island.

My biggest problem with the coma seasons is that they all ended just as I was getting into it and starting to grow fond of the characters. They all felt like the first season of a show that became much better in later seasons.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I've never seen NCIS but I'm curious, has it really been going 17 seasons on nothing but Navy crimes? How?

I feel that way about Bones. Did they really spend 12 seasons looking at bones?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

By all reports, Peter Faulk was the best person ever.

People need to watch "Wings of Desire", where Peter Falk plays himself, and we learn that he is literally an angel.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rando posted:

I think tviv should have a subforum for the shows that are off the air.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2882964&pagenumber=451

The binging thread is pretty much for this purpose.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'm definitely of the opinion that we're in the golden age of access. This feels like exactly what people were hoping for 10 years ago for a la carte services, it just that the reality is not without its inconveniences and cases of businesses trying to turn a profit. But I'm able to subscribe and cancel to services on a monthly basis to pick and choose what I watch, 90% of the content is available with a <$10 monthly service charge, and the biggest regular inconvenience for me is having to switch out my dongles now and then because I don't have enough USB ports on the tv. There's still stuff I can't access without some bigger investment. I still really want to watch Mr. Mercedes but it seems like I'll have to buy that on DVD to do so. But there's so many alternatives available that like I'll never not have an excuse to just not do that and watch something else. I'm never gonna watch everything available to me I'm interested in.

I don't think I'm even mad about the + era. Sure, it would be better if everything was on Netflix and Hulu and I only had to do those two. But everything wasn't available and it feels like there's a lot more available as long as I just stick to the "one slot a month" rule where I can't subscribe to a new one until I cancel the existing one. That's served me well these last couple of years.

One thing I miss from the DVD era is commentary tracks, special features, and deleted scenes. How come none of that stuff is ever available on streaming platforms? It is not like it would be hard to add, from a technical perspective anyway.

I know I can still buy DVD and Blu-Rays, but I don't want to do that when I am already paying to stream the movie/show.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

What if I want something to help me lean into my depression and ugly cry like with The Leftovers but I’ve already seen Chernobyl?

"Unbelievable" on Netflix.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, why didn't anyone tell me that "Maniac" is a science fiction show with amazing world-building? I thought it was going to be some hippie bullshit about about people doing psychedelic drugs, but this is extremely my poo poo. I am glad I gave it a shot.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

Also it starts dropping off in quality real hard after episode 4.

Well, I just finished episode 4 and it still rocks; those fur people were really into making a hat of that lemur! I guess I will see if episode 5 is worse.

"There's not much difference, authority-wise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

Man, why didn't anyone tell me that "Maniac" is a science fiction show with amazing world-building? I thought it was going to be some hippie bullshit about about people doing psychedelic drugs, but this is extremely my poo poo. I am glad I gave it a shot.

Btw, has anyone seen the Norwegian original that inspired this show? It's on Netflix as well, so I figured I might watch it next.