Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The fundamental design ethos in all online streaming platforms is they want to make sure you see what they want you to see. Your convenience is secondary.

Not that incompetence is not also a factor. I don’t know what the selection process is for hiring people to design and program these things but I haven’t seen one streaming service consistently get things right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Community table read is live on youtube now. Should be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Q_nlSULio

They're all good but it's legit uncanny how Alison Brie slides back into a role she hasn't played in years.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Naya Rivera thing has been bumming me out the whole week. She was so drat talented. Like that shouldn’t matter because it’s a horrible thing to happen to anyone (especially with her child), but I can’t help missing the things she’ll never do.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
E: Wrong show oops

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 14, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Alexander Siddig will ever go back to his given name.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone actually enjoy these reunion specials that are basically table reads? I get why they're doing them but I don't see the appeal at all.

Basically yeah, there's a certain casualness and directness that's fun to see. The Community special was fun because it was nice to see everybody back in their old parts like no time had passed and there were parts where people corpsed but understandably.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A Youtube show called Stars in the House had a little conference call reunion of the Crazy Ex Girlfriend cast, and since Rachel Bloom is a huge Frasier fan they had Peri Gilpin and David Hyde Pierce also pop in. She was crying a little, it was adorable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really hope that Roiland keeps doing more solo stuff, when you pull him away from Harmon he’s still really funny and creative. The alcoholic self loathing Harmon brings to the table is alright in small doses but it definitely wears thin after a while.

OTOH Roiland was the one who went in on trying to persuade the animators not to unionize

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, part of the thing is Archer's humor works because of the character dynamics and how much the characters have gotten on each other's nerves over the years, so when they have to re-establish the relationships you lose some of that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

It still shocks me how quickly the BA video empire imploded. All they had to do was pay their POC employees an equal wage and they just went "HAHA NOPE" and stopped everything.

It reminds me a lot of the Channel Awesome debacle, which places Condé Nast management at the level of the guy who makes a living screaming and shooting a fake gun.

I look forward to their 90-minute Pink Floyd ripoff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Which one was Channel Awesome and what was the drama. Dish gurl!

Do you know the Nostalgia Critic? He's Doug Walker, a guy with a beard and glasses who has a bunch of videos where he mocked old movies, mostly bad childrens' fare from the 80s and 90s. (Hence, Nostalgia.) "I remember it so you don't have to." Back in the day he was very popular and had a website, ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com, where other people did semi-comic reviews of things like old cartoons, video games, etc. Lindsay Ellis got her start there as "the Nostalgia Chick", Alison Pregler was there under some name I forget, there were others.

Basically the site was set up so that ad revenue from each video you uploaded was split between you and the site owners- Walker, his brother, and Mike Michaud. That wasn't the main issue, the main issue was just that it was a lovely business run by people who didn't know how to run a business and defaulted on the side of being dicks to the people working for them. They fired people for arbitrary reasons, forced everyone to participate in awful "crossover" films for no pay (and had to be told that they needed to have things like water on set), were generally abusive, and there was an IndieGoGo for a lovely game show that they did film but no really it was a disaster. It wasn't all at once, some left early and at the time it looked like they were just looking to strike out on their own, but in 2018 they released a big Google Doc detailing how lovely working at Channel Awesome was.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview#heading=h.v89be0jiemu0

This led many other of the freelancers working for them to quit, and as of now it's like a few guys who are close to the Walkers + Michaud. Sometime last year, I think, Doug did a "review" of Pink Floyd's The Wall (the film version) which took the form of a 90 minute musical "concept album". This wasn't unethical or anything it was just really embarrassing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh the Nostalgia Critic, yeah that guy was terrible. Lindsay Ellis and Todd in the Shadows one-hit-wonders retrospectives were they only thing I ever liked on that site

Starstruck by avgn lol

Lindsay is doing extremely well for herself, in addition to her youtube channel she just published a best-selling sci-fi debut novel. I bet that really pisses off the Spoony Bard or whatever

Yep and it's a good book!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Baby Yoda eat the eggs

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Space Force outlasting the actual Space Force.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The Klowner posted:

I looked up some of the directors for mando and... bryce dallas howard?? Peyton Reed??? Carl freaking weathers?????

Weathers did a great job too. The big chase scene in that episode is one of the best action sequences they've ever done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

I literally had no idea people didn't like her. I find her funny as heck on the show.

I just have terrible taste tbh. I also liked Inside Amy Schumer and Key & Peele :shrug:

Do people dislike Key & Peele now?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

Ali Larter is a racist, how shocking

I understand the kind of unconscious biases that people like Kring were guilty of, but that's a level of active malice that I just do not get.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Manga has a lot of work culture problems. Shonen Jump in particular has a survey every issue for readers to fill out so they can find out exactly which series they like and which they don't so there's a ton of turnover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The El Ray channel is shutting down on Dec 31. Lucha Underground was their only notable program, I think.

I admired that they would show uncut versions of Italian exploitation movies and do kung-fu and kaiju marathons. A bit of a shame, but this is one niche streaming has moved quick to cover.