Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Y: The Last Man is one of my favorite comics. I remember very closely following all the news of the supposed movie development a decade ago. I really am hoping against hope that the show does not end up sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Rude. Also, there's some hubbub on twitter that Disney hosed JJ Abrams version of TROS? Meh, who knows. I thought it was just ok.

This is where it came from.
https://www.reddit.com/r/saltiertha..._a_source_that/
Who knows if they're real or someone just fanning the stupid Star Wars fans flames.

At least a few of the things here are true, like the movie originally beginning with Rey's training (actually a longer version of the flashback scene with young Luke and Leia before it going into Rey training) and the Mustafar scene being much longer (and including an animatronic puppet alien called the Oracle). There were leakers who were spot-on months ago with the final cut of the movie talking about how these were things changed.

Other parts of this are less likely. Of all the people who worked on Star Wars films under Disney, Abrams had the most leverage, because of the time crunch in both cases as well as his previous record of success going into TROS. I don't think there was any friction between him and Kennedy here.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just watched the first episode of the second season of You. Effectively thought that Will is going to navigate himself into a stupid predicament this time around, but then the episode ends with a "Yes, but really no..."

Does this keep happening over the rest of the season?

I've only seen a few episodes of the first season, but isn't that how pretty much every episode ends, with something being set up that the start of the next one subverts?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love The Office and I rewatched a big chunk of it over the holidays, and I think a big part of it still holds up. Really the only parts I thought dragged were most of s6, the latter part of s7, and s8. The bit at the end of Goodbye Michael when Pam talks about how Michael was hopeful, not sad, still manages to get me.

In terms of late-season casting, I thought Kathy Bates was terrible, and James Spader had a lot of promise in his first episode with the interview and then you can tell he just completely lost all interest in the role (and/or the writers just had no idea what to do with him and took the worst possible choices). Ed Helms was also completely incapable of stepping in for Steve Carell and one reason the final season is so good is that Helms was gone for a big chunk of it. I think the later seasons of The Office actually made me hate Helms.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I kind of wish they had settled on Dwight as manager instead of basically chucking him out after a single day. While it was a funny bit and expected for Dwight, I think he could've settled into manager role and end up becoming michael scottier over time. Dwight had a good arc and end though anyway.

I remember hearing at the time how NBC was really pulling for either Ricky Gervais, Will Arnett, or for some reason Catherine Tate to be the replacement for Michael, which is why she comes back in later seasons, but none of the three were available at the time. Also now I'm remembering that Catherine Tate was on the US Office and her character arc was getting to illegally adopt a baby at the end.

I think it is funny that Ed Helms was chosen as the replacement because he was such hot poo poo in 2011, and now I can't even remember the last thing I've seen him in. Maybe the National Lampoon remake from half a decade ago?

Major props to The Office's later seasons for bringing Mark Proksch to national attention, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Sherlock turned to poo poo by season 3, there was never any hope.

I tried rewatching the Irene Adler episode from the beginning of season 2 a couple weeks ago as I remembered really liking it when it aired and I haven't seen it since. I don't think even the "good" Sherlock has aged very well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Hey it's not the sex energy alien or the sexy cyberwoman episodes at least. Moffat's bad but RTD is the worst.

Wasn't the Cyberwoman episode done by the current showrunner?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

John Logan is a hack.

I have no idea how he could do Nemesis (and like a dozen other dumb things) as well as Penny Dreadful. I guess a broken clock is right once a screenwriting career or something like that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's one scene in episode 1 of the Netflix Dracula where he looks almost exactly like Christopher Lee and it is really offputting just how close he looks then. Especially given how by the time he reaches his young form, the resemblance isn't really that great.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

el oso posted:

If Picard doesn't address the most insidious conspiracy in the Star Trek universe that was dropped and then never mentioned again, then what is even the point?

This episode was very forward thinking in depicting a future where people would eat insects for protein.

I also like how it handwaves away the fact they couldn't pay for an extras to fill the enormous empty Starfleet setpieces.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Completely forgot Medical Police is out now. Know what I'm watching tonight!

Croatoan posted:

So I know I'm months late but I finally got around to watching season 5 of Black Mirror. What a fart of a season. I literally forgot what the plot to Smithereens was just a few hours after I watched it because it was just that forgettable.

Until I read this, I had also forgotten that Black Mirror had a new season out. I think really not digging season 4 after the first episode kind of killed it for me. Bandersnatch was fun enough but after spending a day watch/playing it I didn't really feel the need to do it over again.

Rhyno posted:

Christopher Heyerdall rules. They let him grow his hair back for season 4!

He's the only thing I remember about Hell on Wheels.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

CBS has ordered a pilot for a Silence of the Lambs spin-off called "Clarice" which, you know, focuses on Clarice Starling after the events of Silence of the Lambs. The weird thing about this is that it is exactly the same premise of a failed show that Lifetime tried to make back around the time of Hannibal.

Wasn't the Lifetime show going to be a prequel about Clarice at the FBI Academy?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Star Wars episode of The Toys That Made Us was interesting for me largely because it popped a lot of myths about Star Wars toys I had always heard about as facts. Like one thing you always hear is how Lucas was a genius for holding onto the toy rights in 1977 and the documentary shows he was actually locked into a completely lovely deal from the start because of how desperate he was, and when he finally got to renegotiate in the 90s he almost completely tanked the Star Wars toy market.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The only Doomsday Prepper episode I remember was one where some guy's fallout shelter in the middle of the woods was broken into and looted because his security system was poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This sucks, but also not really surprising by now. Especially since I bet the movie really poo poo the bed for The Dark Tower for a lot of people.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Love Neelix on the cell phone half-obscured by the door frame.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Man, I haven't thought of this in a while. I remember liking Umney's Last Case and Battleground, and thinking Ron Livingstone was good in End of the Whole Mess, but everything else being a writeoff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oasx posted:

Avenue 5 was pretty bad, with discount Jack Black being the worst of the bunch.

I want to watch it, but the ads for it on seemingly every podcast I've listened to have been really annoying. And I also really don't like Josh Gad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I'm sure Josh Gad's mom likes him.

I remember reading somewhere that Jon Stewart really loved him in the brief time he was on the Daily Show.

I will also say I liked him as the incompetent College Republican officer in that Party Down episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Zach Woods gets the only entertaining character though he makes no logical sense quite yet, something that probably gets explained later.

I think Zach Woods holds my personal record for actor with biggest swing from "completely disliked him in first role I saw him in" to "really love him in everything I've seen him in recently."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A bit late to this, but:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hannibal was part of NBC's weird trend of trying to put at least one "prestige" show on the air, even if they had no place for it at all. I remember SouthLAnd and Emerald City being other attempts to bring big dick streaming energy to the channel, neither of them being much in the way of commerical success.

TVIV one-season darling Awake was another solid example of NBC's prestige experiments.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vincent posted:

Anyone seen this show? Is it any good? The description sounds like a goofy b-movie Mad Max Fury Road (read: great).

muscles like this! posted:

It is very goofy but has a problem where it just doesn't know where to end. Also most of the other competitors quickly kind of just get forgotten.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the show, but I feel like it drifted a bit the last 5 episodes. That being said, I regret that Syfy didn't pick it up for another season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Roth posted:

What does CBS All Access even have besides the new Star Trek shows and Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone?

Doesn't it have the back catalogue of CBS shows? I don't have All Access but I thought I had read that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Finally finished with Parks and Rec, still donít think season 7 is very good. Find it amusing that, due to the time skip, Leslie is working for the Trump administration. The politics in the show certainly havenít aged well at all. It was more ups than downs and I genuinely loved the show but wow has some stuff aged really loving poorly.

Can anyone recommend some other good comedies? I basically havenít watched any comedy shows in the last 15 years due to the fact Iím ultra picky with comedy shows. And I generally find anything pre-2012 to be borderline unwatchable.

If you like 30 Rock also, I would definitely check out Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I feel like its tone is kind of a mesh of 30 Rock and P&R (though leaning more into the former, obviously).

American Vandal is also great.

I'll also boost I Think You Should Leave.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Going back to good post-2012 comedies, I thought of a few more that I don't see mentioned a lot.

First, Club of Crows, the first Spanish-language Netflix show, about two half-siblings working to maintain control of their father's soccer team after he dies. Despite the fact it's set in Mexico and has a (mainly) Mexican cast, the writing team was a mix of Mexican and American, which gives it a tone that's different from most other Mexican shows I've seen. I think it is really solid, but I don't know any other native English speakers who've seen it. It lasted four seasons, plus a spinoff miniseries (Ballad of Hugo Sanchez, which I would say is completely skippable) and an hourlong mockumentary (Yo Potro, which you should watch). On this topic, Sofia NiŮo de Rivera has a recurring role in the show and her standup specials are worth watching, too.

I will also give conditional praise to The House of Flowers, another Spanish-language Netflix show set in Mexico, this time at a family-run funeral home. I would say the tone is a mix of Arrested Development, Pushing Daisies, and Six Feet Under. I say conditional because I've only seen the first season and really loved it - I feel like it was a better successor to the original Arrested Development than the Netflix continuation - but I haven't seen the second season, which as I understand had a lot more mixed reviews. The main character (Paulina) became a big meme in Latin America for her Xanax-dosed mannerisms. Her actress was also in a couple episodes of Sense8.

I've seen Ingobernoble talked about here occasionally but not any of the Netflix Spanish comedies, so thought I'd boost the two I like.

The last one I'll boost is Comrade Detective, which I have seen discussed around here, but figure I might as well bring it up again as a good comedy show of the last few years.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Looks good, love the cast. Hope Simon's terminal lib brain doesn't gently caress it up.

I don't know if you've read it, but in the book, Lindbergh becomes president and sides with the Nazis because his baby didn't die, the Nazis secretly kidnapped his baby and took him to Germany and were keeping him hostage so that Lindbergh would be their puppet president. At the end all the Americans have to do is kick Lindbergh out of office and then FDR gets re-relected in an emergency election and the US goes right back to normal. So I could easily see this as serving up a too-easy Russiagate analog ready made.

I also think it's kind of funny that Zoe Kazan is in a show where the right-wing US government uses hysterical anti-communist fears to destroy the lives of dissidents.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

It's one of the small handful sword and sorcery movies that is Actually Good rather than just passing the low Good For Its Genre bar. It's not some great film outside of its charm, but it's a solid flick and well-remembered. It won't have some angry fandom that's furious it didn't follow the book sequels, but I don't think you're giving it enough creditóthe 37 people who remember it really like it.

I think whatever Willow fandom there was can't have possibly liked the Willow sequel books. Those were some of the most... not even incompetent but head-scratching "continuation" ideas ever. As I recall, the opening chapter of the first book kills off everyone but Willow, who then changes his name and is only referred to by his new name from then on out. It's a continuation which completely destroys every link to the original in the first few pages and then tells a generic grimdark 90s fantasy story. All the more weird that they were written by Chris Claremont.

GreenNight posted:

Just wait until they reboot Indiana Jones. Again, Robert Pattinson.

Lost City of Z spinoff centered around his character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Argue posted:

What are some good episodes of TV shows (movies are also okay) where the day is saved thanks unironically to the power of music? I'm thinking stuff like the ep of Chuck where Rush's Tom Sawyer saves the day, or last season's Legends of Tomorrow finale where James Taylor does. Steven Universe doesn't count because the songs just happen alongside events--it's rare that the songs themselves are the solution, and GotG doesn't count because that scene was just a distraction and not particularly tied to music. Preferably something where nobody in the scene winkingly goes "haha this is all so stupid and lame".

About half of Flights of the Conchords.

Six String Samurai?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The funny thing is the prequels that the nerds hate are also jam-packed with stuff mined from the early OT drafts, but go in a different direction with the aesthetics, which shows what sort of references really matter to that set.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

By "unscripted" does this mean it's going to be them just riffing in-character for an hour, or just the actors talking about the show for an hour? The latter seems a lot more interesting, while also making the cost that much more insane.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My favorite thing about Ianucci is still that in the very first episode of The Thick of It, one of the characters proposes AirBnB and gets (rightly) blasted for it being an idiotic concept.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

And while some hate him, Josh Gad's character kind of reminds me of the loud, obnoxious boss from The IT Crowd.

I can't believe I'm the first one to say how dead wrong you are to put Josh Gad anywhere near Matt Berry.

Binary Logic posted:

Did Fyre Festival have problems with the port-a-potties too

From what I remember of the documentary, weren't people tilting them over to turn into barriers to keep other desperate party-doers away from their own tent barricades?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vincent posted:

Started watching Blood Drive. The first ep was fun and it's a solid B- show so far.
The main dude and girl are super boring and bland, so the show is saved by the Rob Zombie/Jimmy Urine amalgamation that is the MC,the other racers and the practical effect gore.

Slink the MC continues to be the real star of the show up until the end.

How are you watching it? I remember when the show was on they would have some fake ads set in the Blood Drive "universe" during commercial breaks, I'm curious if they're worked in at all.

At least some of the episodes also included viewer complaints that I am pretty sure were real.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

FP Jr. loving loves Star Wars too, him and Witwer are both huge fans of the franchise and you can tell through their performance.

He must have been so stoked to learn he (or at least his voice, but still) was going to be in an actual Star Wars movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I went to the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC the other week, and they have a ton of the props and puppets from the new Dark Crystal on display. I still haven't seen the new show but I was really blown away by everything I saw from it from it. The work that went into it really is incredible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Super Mario Bros movie is great because it's one of the influences that led to David Icke developing his Lizard People conspiracy theory. He discusses the "hidden meaning" of it (and Jurassic Park of all things) in one of his books.

swickles posted:

The best video game movie is Gamer.

eXistenZ

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I will say that Star Trek fans hating whatever show isn't the one that was on when they were between 12-15 is as consistent as the rising sun. TOS people loving hated TNG when it was announced and aired.

To be fair when it first aired TNG was absolutely terrible.

A few months ago, I went back and rewatched Encounter at Farpoint for probably the first time since the 90s and uh... it sucks. The number of times Picard works in the phrase "Galaxy-class starship" to a conversation made me laugh.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Pam & Jim's romance phase was good, but them actually together isn't remotely as fun and they tanked it at the end.

As a fan of The Office, I have to say that there are a few times during the first three seasons (especially the second season) where, at least in retrospect, Jim comes across a little creepy. Especially during the chunk when he's ostensibly dating the Amy Allen character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember before the show came out, people were upset when the comics spent so much time at the prison, but I feel like that was one of the most solid parts of the comic. It felt completely meandering and repetitive after that, especially once they got to Alexandria and it was like only three plots on a continuous loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Clowner posted:

Season 1 itself wasn't even that good. Arguably the worst thing Frank Darabont's been associated with.

Yeah, I quit watching in (I think) season 4 and that entire time there were two episodes I would call unequivocally good. And one of them was the pilot. I think the other one was when they revisited Lennie James' character from the pilot, come to think of it.