Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked him in 2049, and the movie overall, but I do feel like the entire movie would have been stronger without any direct connections to the original. Just another detective on another case in the same universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I just paid for $30 on iTunes for MASH: The Complete Series. As a long time fan, it might be the best $30 I’ve spent in awhile.

I remember when the MASH sets were being released on VHS and spending probably that much (or more) on the box set of the first season. Still worth it too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone seen Queen Sono yet? I've seen a few positive reviews of it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Supposedly the Kzinti were going to be in Enterprise season 5. Honestly from everything said about it, like a whole story arc in the Mirror Universe, I would really have liked to have seen Enterprise season 5.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I put on a random episode of The Office before bed last night and for some reason I never put together before that the Ben Franklin impersonator was played by Andy Daly.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only people on Food Network I don’t like are the bigger rear end in a top hat judges on Chopped like Zakarian, and Anne Burrell. She was competing in an episode of Chopped with fellow hosts/judges and was just insanely hostile and unprofessional. She seems like a real piece of work.

DC Murderverse posted:

I've heard rumors about Anne Burrell not being a very good boss to work under also, but she worked under Mario Batali for a while so that might just have been learned behavior.

I remember about a decade ago there was a sexual harassment accusation against Anne Burrell, I think before she was officially out of the closet. Though again that might have been learned behavior from Batali.

I haven't watched Food Network regularly since around 2013 or so but I remember there was some new blood around then who seems like really down to earth people, like Aarti Sequeira and Damaris Phillips. On the other hand the couple from Down Home With the Neelys were pretty much faking their relationship for the show, which I feel like kind of always came across.

I feel like Cupcake Wars was a Food Network show whose influence on the cooking show format was a major but unsung. Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't that the first cooking show that used the "comedian host with female/French man/rotating celebrity judge triad" format?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Bobby Flay has the most punchable face I have ever seen.

Taking a literal approach to the title of Beat Bobby Flay.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nooneofconsequence posted:

Fun fact: Back in the day I got a screener dvd for the Chopped pilot as part of some consumer research program. Originally the show had a plot where the contestants were brought to a mansion to serve courses to a billionaire. The losing dishes were fed to his little dog.

e: And now I see this info is on wikipedia so it's not so cool.

I remember hearing Ted Allen describing the pilot in an interview years ago and thinking back to how strange some of the early Food Network programming was.

Also have to give credit to Food Network for giving Mark Dacascos such a big platform for a decade.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Does Netflix have any good sci-fi TV shows or even movies? I mean actual good ones. No anime plz

Among recent releases, I liked See You Yesterday and Horse Girl. Weren't absolutely amazing masterpieces but both were enjoyable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was an AHS fan for a while. I thought that Murder House and Asylum were generally pretty good (though flubbed the ending), Coven had some good individual bits while completely failing to bring them together, Freak Show was just bad, Hotel was similar to Coven, Roanoke also bad, and Cult I just dropped out of.

With the coronavirus hubbub I decided to watch Apocalypse and 1984 and liked both of them a lot more than I thought I would, and I agree that 1984 has probably the most solid ending of any of them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A lot of corner bodegas I've been to are pretty empty, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Hello, sorry to barge in here with a question but it's driving me crazy:

A friend of mine mentioned there being a show in the 90s, probably on Nickelodeon , in which characters would have conversations on a roof. I immediately had a memory of the set, which I remember having at least two (blue?) inset seats/hammocks, but I cannot for the life of me place what it was.

Am I crazy? Also is there a "help be identify this weird tv memory" thread?

I feel like I vaguely remember this. Something from early 90s Snick.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Ok, one funny/neat moment in Westworld tonight was David Benioff and D.B. Weiss playing techs discussing cutting up a dragon so they could smuggle it out and sell

To Jurassic Park no less. Also it was the actual Drogon model from Game of Thrones.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the book of The Last Ship years ago, before it was ever adapted into a TV show. Does the show keep the book twist that the US cruiser is destroyed at the end and a Russian submarine is actually the "last ship"?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

After years of hearing about it, stay-at-home edicts by my state's Governor have convinced me to finally attempt a binge watch of the NBC version of The Office.

I say "attempt" because I'm on episode 4 and, if not for Jim and Pam, I would have shut it off 10 minutes into the pilot. That said, I've been told to stick it out until at least season 2. Thoughts?

Season 1 is rough but I think by the end it starts to find its footing. Season 2 is where it really hits its stride though, they retool the entire character of Michael partly due to the success of The 40 Year Old Virgin and wanting to build off Steve Carrell's sudden popularity from it. My personal ranking of Office seasons:

1: Rough but some good bits
2-3: Really good, and the show's peak
4-5: Some decline but still pretty good (especially liked the last arc of season 5 with Idris Elba)
6: Just terrible
7: Big improvement on 6, because Carrell announced he was leaving so they start to actually develop his character in new ways
8: Worse than 6, the show hugely suffers from trying to recenter around Ed Helms and the writers clearly ran out of ideas. I actually stopped watching the last few episodes and still haven't seen them.
9: Like 7, with the show concluding there's an improvement as they try to develop some characters and conclude arcs, but still a lot of dreck. Though the finale did get me, I have to admit.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Extras is insanely good.

I feel like I'm alone in this, but I like Extras better than The Office. Though I also haven't watched Extras in a long time and I'm worried that if I went back to it now it wouldn't live up.

Even at the time, I thought the Extras Christmas special finale was a big decline from the show proper.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason the HBO Now app on my Fire TV has completely busted and won't play anything. I have a Roku built in to my TV so I can watch it there but that's kind of weird. I don't use the Roku apps normally because they're kind of crap.

My HBO Now app on the Playstation takes some insanely long time to load, from five to ten minutes depending. Back when I had HBO Go it was almost instant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So is Primal worth watching? I feel like I haven't heard a whole lot about it overall.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw there was a German version of Nailed It and I kind of want to watch that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lauren actually auditioned to play Rose in TLJ. She talked about it in her Jurassic World episode of I Was There Too. Surprised it didn't come up in Newcomers but I guess it probably passed her mind by now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watched the first episode of Nailed It and it was funny. Matt Walsh was the guest. It was a bit odd to hear Wes talk so much. Not much else to say - it's an episode of Nailed It, you pretty much know what you're getting when you go into it.

Also watched the first episode of Primal. I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet. It's a lot more violent than Samurai Jack, and the fights seem... not just rougher, which I understand is something they were going for to fit the theme of the show, but less exciting and visually interesting than the Samurai Jack fights. Still, not bad, just hasn't 100% hooked me. I'll probably watch the rest of the episode out, since it's not like it's a huge time commitment, especially since I pretty much just watch an episode or two before bed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Leslie Knope definitely wouldn't recommend people install Zoom

Wasn't there an episode where Leslie Knope came in with the flu because she refused to admit she was sick? Or maybe this was 30 Rock?

She would definitely be obsessing over Joe Biden and how he would do such a great job with this crisis.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My top ten:

quote:

Elim Garak (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): 84%
Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park): 83%
Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock): 82%
Jimmy McGill (Breaking Bad): 81%
Varys (Game of Thrones): 80%
Quark (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): 79%
Haymitch Abernathy (The Hunger Games): 78%
Timon (The Lion King): 78%
Petyr Baelish (Game of Thrones): 77%
Rust Cohle (True Detective): 77%

I feel like Timon is kind of the odd one out there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Did anyone watch McMillion$? Was it any good?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

It does make me realize just how much 90s kid shows referenced b-movies. I'm guessing it was the rise of The Sci-Fi Channel putting these things back into the public consciousness, but I remember things like The Angry Beavers having long-running meta-fictional b-movie narratives. I know there's tons of other examples but I'm not pulling them. I might have to watch some Aaahh!!! Real Monsters to see if it holds up.

I remember Rugrats had a parody episode of Fantastic Voyage. There was also an episode full of visual references to Star Trek TOS.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I liked The Box because it felt like one of those old 60s sci-fi pulp novels.

Wasn't it adapted from a Richard Matheson 60s novel?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

IIRC nothing in Electric Dreams was based on his work, just "inspired" by it.

I think each episode was based on a short story, but to the same degree of accuracy that Total Recall was based on We Can Remember It for You Wholesale.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

drat, I forgot that was almost here! I am excited for it too. I've been meaning to rewatch Penny Dreadful but just haven't had time. I absolutely loved it, though.

I did recently finally watch the first season of The Terror. Really glad I made the time to do that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

spill the beans

is the real alien... man?

Wasn't this supposed to be the big twist of the Spielberg War of the Worlds but it got changed either very late in production or even via editing after the movie was done?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Argus Zant posted:

there's a scene where a news crew goes frame-by-frame through footage of the thunderstorm that happened right before the attacks started, and it shows that the thunderstrikes were actually martians somehow teleporting into long-buried tripods. Why they're there, how long they've been there, and how they've not been found or detected across multiple decades of subway construction and gas/water/sewer installation and excavation is not touched upon or explained in any fashion after that scene.

That movie is grossly undeserving of the praise that it gets/got, and I think it's honestly quite terrible. The "ancient aliens" bullshit is probably the smallest flaw, just because you could cut that scene entirely and you'd never even know it had been there in the first place.

I remember this scene, but I could swear I had read an interview with David Koepp where he said the original idea was that Tom Cruise's character would be revealed to be an alien at the end, and that was why he was such a fuckup in his life, because he couldn't connect to other humans because of his literal alien-ness.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Laterite posted:

That seems a little on the nose for a character played by Tom Cruise.

Well, after all, it was only during his promotion for War of the Worlds that he had his PR meltdown and his being a Scientologist (and more widespread criticism of Scientology) really exploded.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If anyone's looking for something TV related to read, I just started on "The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History": https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/605402/the-office-by-andy-greene/

If you like The Office at all, I would highly recommend it. It's entirely told through interviews with people involved at all levels (actors, writers, editors, producers, directors, reviewers, NBC execs, even GE people). It's a really interesting look into the process of making the show. Also not too biographical as there's some criticism throughout, especially of later seasons, and the author will point out when people say something that's inaccurate.

I haven't finished it yet, but I've really been enjoying it. Best TV-related thing I've read since The War for Late Night.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Ah, so like... old timey radio shows or webisode series'? I feel like that format would be way too slow for today's environment, at least for something to hold people's attention for more than a few weeks.

I guess I'd be mild curious to see something like an alien invasion but only told in 10 minute bursts with time jumps in between. But that feels like the sort of thing that could be really popular with a small niche but completely inaccessible to everyone else.

Wasn't this the Oats Studios model, at least as originally intended?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Has anyone seen Brews Brothers? I like the premise and some of the talent involved is good but the one review of it I've read is really scathing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Binged s3 of Veep today, haven't watched it since s2 aired. I know we make fun of West Wing in a Trump world, but even Veep seems of a different time, making big deals about things that wouldn't register a blip in 2020.

The last season I think is the only one filmed after Trump became president, and even then it felt like the Trump scandals that obviously influenced it were completely forgotten by the time the season aired. Though I think basically using Jonah as a Trump mouthpiece worked way better than it should have.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If I remember right, doesn't his wife in the flash-forward mention that he was impeached from being vice president?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm in the part of The Office oral history covering season 6, and it's interesting that everyone involved seems to realize it was a clusterfuck and a sharp decline as well. Partly due to the show just aging, partly just due to a confluence of bad luck. Even Steve Carell multiple times said that the show had jumped the shark.

Two other interesting bits, some of the cast really resented Ed Helms suddenly being catered to starting with him filming The Hangover, and one of the early ideas for Parks and Recreation was sending Ed Helms to the new show to partner with Amy Poehler (who was initially hired for what became P&R with the understanding it was going to be an Office spinoff). Also a lot of people on The Office thought that Modern Family was essentially a lazy copy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LOL at the fact that half of those four examples of "prestige scifi" screenshots are from Disney Star Wars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

New season of What We Do in the Shadows off to a very strong start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

One thing I was hoping the show would've kept from the novel was Lindbergh's cuddling up to the Nazis and all of his abhorrent racism amounted to dick-all for the country because the Japanese still attack Pearl Harbor and drag the United States into the war after all. It really sold the grim pointlessness of expecting fascist promises to amount to anything.

The novel ending is actually a bit different. Lindbergh is revealed to be a Nazi stooge and vanishes and is possibly dead. There is an emergency election and FDR is re-elected as the "return to normal" candidate. And then once everything is "back to normal" (ie the same conditions which led to Lindbergh being elected in the first place) the Japanese then attack and history continues like the fascist presidency never happened. But I can see why liberals wouldn't want to think about that ending.

Inspector 34 posted:

Syfy has been marathoning BSG since last night, Pegasus pt2 is on now and the Adama maneuver is around 1ph PST tomorrow. I've never really gotten through a full rewatch of the series but it's kind of nice catching up at a few points throughout the day.

Do you listen to the Battlestar Galacticast? It's an interesting way to catch up on the series weekly, episode by episode, with some behind the scenes bits from the actors, writers, and directors they have on.