Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Red vs Blue?

In TYOOL 2020?

You don't have to qualify it by year, it was never good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Gaunab posted:

I said this is the binge thread but I'm watching The Shield now just to kill time. There's an awful lot of plots involving people being raped which I don't like. Like SVU amounts of rape plots. I mean Jesus the loving captain gets forced to perform oral sex on a pair of junkies.

Doesn't compare to The Wire other than being a show with cops.

Aceveda getting raped is probably one of the most interesting parts of the show as it reliably informs his character decisions through the entirety of the rest of the show, instead of simply being a short character arc resolved and ignored but yeah, The Shield is a weird mixture of on point high level plotting (the main characters reliably destroying everything for themselves and everyone else while convincing themselves they're the thin blue line keeping the streets safe) and a desperate need to shock the audience for attention in the episode plots (all the episodes about rapists plus the cat).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Finally watched Devs and welp.

That was loving perfect

The actual finale kinda made me feel like the miniseries should have been shorter. It would have been a good capper to a movie or a short miniseries, but for eight hours? It just felt like all the truly interesting things about the premise are going to happen/be understood after this long preamble.

On the other hand I really liked the first seven episodes and wouldn't want any of that cut so :shrug:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Khanstant posted:

I want to finish Devs, is it all out yet? I've seen two other shows do a lot of the Devs things but with way less gravity and I'm curious where Devs ends up going with it.

The series is done, yeah.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Nah just fit Extracurricular into the Little House on the Prairie expanded universe.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Is there even a good episode in season 4?

No Exit wasn't a good episode but I still loved Cavil demanding satisfying answers from his god.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Lmao, the reaction to LEGO pulling all their police sets is that prices for them are spiking

Bad Capitalism! Bad! No!

The best bit is that they aren't even pulling their police sets

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Sorry, is time travel involved in Xena? Is she immortal? Or am I just overthinking it?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Slamhound posted:

It’s got it’s problems and the last season was way too truncated but it was a great loving show.

Also gently caress anyone who doesn’t like Babylon 5.

Counterpoint: the dialogue in poi is rarely more than workmanlike, the direction has flashes of brilliance but suffers from its budget. Fortunately the actors can sell almost everything the writers throw at them because they absolutely nailed the casting...

...which Straczynski almost completely failed to do in Babylon 5. That cast is just completely overmatched by his terrible dialogue, which is problematic given he insisted on writing almost the entirety of the show. The story arcs are great in a high level wiki summary but watching them without nostalgia is loving rough.

And it would have been even worse if Michael O'Hare had remained the series lead as he was supposed to instead of having to leave for health reasons. He's just terrible. Bruce Boxleitner might not be a very good actor but he has enough charisma to be the center of the cast.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not saying it can't be done but while the world is great it's gonna be fascinating to see how/if they translate the gameplay conceits that made the game great. I can see the personalities making a relatively easy transition but not the reactivity.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Hal, it's about cats.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

NieR Occomata posted:

A fun thought exercise is replacing the resolution of the series finale of a random prestige tv show with "a magic loving frog shows up and solves all the protagonist's problems for them" and wondering how poo poo of a show that then turns out to be.

How I Met Your Mother but the lionturtle kills the mother off so Ted can go bang Robin.

They put a Lionturtle on the throne of the Six Kingdoms because who has a better story than an island sized turtle...that's also a lion.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Hopefully a shitload went to Eva Green, patron saint of acting your rear end off in trash that doesn't deserve it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Croatoan posted:

Ok so Person of Interest keeps getting brought up and there's even a rewatch thread so I have questions. I watched the pilot with my wife and about 3/4 the way through we both lost all interest. Does it suffer from pilotitis? Is it actually good or is it just good for a CBS procedural? Is it a sci-fi or is it just a drama. At what point does it become good and can we just skip to that point or are we just better off staying away if it didn't grab us right away?

Confession, I easily get Jim Caviezel and Eric Roberts mixed up.

Season 1 is an excellent version of a CBS procedural. There's painstaking subtle buildup of long-running arcs smuggled into the episode of the week stuff...but it doesn't really become anything more than that until season 2/3. The problem with skipping to the good bits is that it keeps putting important flashbacks or bringing in recurring characters almost every episode, so you're gonna end up missing a lot.

The tone of the show remains the same, so if that was a major part of you disliking it you might just never enjoy it.

Here's one essential episode guide, with some spoilers attached, should you wish to try it again while skipping the worst episodes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

This was the most dispiriting trailer I've ever seen. Not that the UK trailers were very good, but this is just...awful. The music is generic, the creepy dude doesn't have any presence at all, John Cusack is there and the visuals are just kinda handsome without being interesting.

At least the comic still looks good.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
They even had the setup for a season three about Peter being absolutely the worst guy seeded through seasons one and two. They might not have been able to keep it going past that but there was definitely still life left.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

smh why am i not surprised

Also like i said so long as they can translate the flying well I will be hopefully optimistic

Man you're lucky this isn't the Smallville era because then they just would refuse to fly as a sign of how angry they are at their childhood or something.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The real joke was them trying to construct a self defense case for Tyrion to keep him sympathetic so that they could do absolutely nothing with him for four seasons.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
If they were gonna do what they did to littlefiger they shoulda just fed him to Ramsay in s5 and saved everyone a bunch of time.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Arist posted:

wait, wtf

apparently it was supposed to be a music festival until covid happened.
Now it's all gonna be radically different and they're appat still working it out, but it's still gonna be a 12 hour livestream of an immersive theater project. Apparently they're trying to keep it separate so you don't have to watch it to understand the plot of the show itself.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Game of Thrones s1 has to be up there relative to expectations. How many actually good high budget epic (low) fantasy adaptations have there been, aside from LotR?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
To me she's the sociopath from Thoroughbreds.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I haven't seen it myself but I know people of similar tastes and Longmire would quite possibly fit the bill. Police procedural/western combo. Justified too if he's not seen that.

E: sneaky pete isn't amazing but it's a pretty fun con artist show that he might like as well. Has bryan cranston as the first season villain.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 20, 2020

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Also it starts dropping off in quality real hard after episode 4.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azhais posted:

That one's probably not quite a billion dollar franchise (and probably targeted at kids anyway)

....STAR WARS is targeted at children.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Now now I'm sure we can compromise by agreeing that jk rowling is bad and just agree to disagree on which ways she's bad (it's most of them. She's bad in most ways).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

The season 2 premiere is also quite good! But then yeah the rest of that season sucks rear end

I would say that utopia is a collection of scenes loosely hung together by a conspiracy plot, and s1 has a combination of better scenes and a better way of preserving the illusion that those scenes up to a greater whole. S2 still has some great scenes but there are fewer of them and the plot scaffolding falls apart more.

E: also they cost to be soldiers, the afghanistan thing is definitely not something they actually chose.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 29, 2020

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's a pretty safe bet that you won't actually be deployed there. It's a very small percentage of the active duty armed forces that are deployed there. Most likely you end up on some base far from conflict. Ending up there is pretty bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Oh no, the fans, they were serviced, how could we have seen this coming?