Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

So is Picard the most anticipated new show of 2020?

What other shows are even coming out right now?

Happy New Years, TVIV people! This thread is low-key one of my favorites on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

I don't know if it counts because it's also a returning show but hell yeah, BCS is back!

Is this the last season? I haven't watched since S2, it's an amazing show but it stresses me out so much I want to be able to just watch the whole thing in a go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Rocksicles posted:

Fantasy books aren't my usually my ting, if we are going full fantasy i expect some space ships.

Which reminds me, I really hope Amazon actually makes that Culture series they announced. I havenít heard anything about that in a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

I always hated any scene where Tom Haverford showed up, he was absolutely the worst part of parks and rec and I will die on this hill.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Remember when everyone was really excited for him to take over as showrunner for Doctor Who because he had written some really good episodes?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Revisiting Batman Beyond on my continued tour of cyberpunk media for the first time since I was a teenager. It's a bit breathlessly paced, but it's just way, way better than it has any right to be.

I remember when it came out I was like 11 and thought it was going to be stupid and not hold up to BTAS at all, and then being crazy hooked from the start. The villains were fantastic, and honestly I think I prefer the Beyond rogueís gallery to the original.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Is Batman Beyond streaming anywhere?

DC's streaming service basically no one has.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Batman Beyond having Batman as a broken shut in was something that blew my mind as a kid, but was a perfect setup to a far future Batman sequel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

Batman Beyond videogame when, Rockstar!?!?!

Batman Beyond was a costume in one of the Arkham games, at least.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Yo when is I Think You Should Leave getting a renewal

Last June?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

precision posted:

I usually just scroll past Guy Mann, what did he ever say that's actually ban worthy? I mean, if we're gonna ban people for bad opinions there'd be nobody left

It's usually just annoying contrarian bullshit, he's had at least three accounts (...Of Science!, Sleeveless, and Guy Mann, and he went back to Sleeveless after the Guy Mann one ate a ban). It's kind of annoying because when they drop the act they're not awful, and have some interesting things to say, but go look at their rap sheet for some links to some really annoying and tasteless poo poo and run posts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

precision posted:

Wait, of science, sleeveless and guy mann are all the same person????

How do you know? I don't doubt it, just wondering

I seem to remember Sleeveless being one of those posters who would bag on you even if you agree with them

The mods called out sleeveless as Guy Mann on their rap sheet, and I donít remember who told me about the Of Science thing but their last post was 12/25/14 which is also Sleevelessís regdate, so it checks out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

precision posted:

I mean, look who wrote it

Moffat can write great stuff, he just desperately needs a boss. When he's in charge of something his dumb side runs wild since no one is telling him "no, that's stupid, stop".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

esperterra posted:

smdh Fuller not tryna snatch up the Silence rights after the Lifetime poo poo fell through.

At any rate this will probably end up better than the Lifetime version would have, maybe? Unless it's the same crew, new network ...

That's what you get for expecting anything out of fuller that isn't "actively trying to get himself fired". He makes good TV but, in the words of Chris Onstad, he navigates it with all the grace of a tapdancer going through a minefield with snow shoes on.

precision posted:

Best episodes are the Eccleston focused ones, god drat those are good. "No Room Left at the Inn" is prob the best of the whole series

Hard agree, and any time I need to make myself cry I think about the Matt and Nora beach scene in the finale. That HURT.

E: This one. SO MANY SPOILERS HERE DON'T CLICK PLAY IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LEFTOVERS YET.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtsKnZNLFWA

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 13, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

It came up upthread, but I kind of feel like Rachel Bloom is overrated. She's good but her reputation got a bit inflated over Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Itís not a TV show, itís a movie, but given the choice between talking about stuff I watch with you guys or C:D you guys win every time.

Iím pretty sure Children of Men is one of the best movies ever made. Not only is it beautiful and have some interesting long takes, every time I watch it with someone new they always end up a bit sheíll-shocked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

I enjoyed Westworld S2, but I canít remember like 85 percent of it. For whatever reason it just didnít stick with me like S1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

ďWith EMTs standing byĒ had me roll my eyes so hard. The hell is an EMT going to do for someone who ate something spicy? Tell them to quit crying and that itís gonna suck when they poop later?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought people liked Mindhunter?

I liked parts of mindhunter but didnít really like it on the balance of everything. The interviews in S1 were awesome though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

The Outsider is making me think that there's no reason to adapt King to film (Ok, Dr Sleep was way better than it has any right to be) but to TV instead. Not his novels, though, the man has so many goddamn insanely good short stories you could make a 60 episode show called Skeleton Crew or whatever that just adapts his best shorts into hourlong episodes. You have things like the Jaunt, Survivor Type, Everything's Eventual, Man in the Black Suit, All That You Love Will Be Carried away, and so on. The longer novella type stuff? Make it a two-parter.Hell, do a Bachman book or two.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Justified is on Hulu now if for some reason you haven't seen one of the top 10 shows of the decade.

It's so good. Give it a few episodes to find its stride (pilot is really good, then it kind of simmers a bit before it really kicks into gear).

I will say it peaks at the second season, but that's not because the later seasons have any problems. Season 2 is just that good. There was no way in hell the show was ever going to top it.

bull3964 posted:

Altered Carbon is back Feb 27th.

Tentatively excited, if they can avoid focusing too much on the dumbshittery they did with the envoys in S1 I'll be happy. I'm not normally one to complain when an adaptation changes things, but the changes they made were loving stupid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I doubt anything will.

"it was already in the glass."

Everything about that season was perfect, the writing, the acting, all of it. God drat I can't wait to get to it on my rewatch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea The Outsider is pretty drat good (watched the first two episodes so far). Didn't realize it was written by Richard Price, who wrote some of the best episodes of The Wire.

Show wisely puts much of it's focus on character drama, and how the crime and its aftermath affects everyone involved.

If youíre adapting King and arenít putting emphasis on the character drama youíre doing it wrong, so thatís good to hear.

His biggest strength as a writer is how he writes characters, so itís disappointing a lot of adaptations ignore that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Justified belongs in the same category as Hell on Wheels. Genuinely great shows, outstanding in some aspects even, that unfortunately existed in the same general TV era as Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and GoT.

You did not just unfavorably compare Justified to Walking Dead and GoT, did you?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Oh, got tripped up by the actual good shows in that list. My bad!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

It basically is, it's a mediocre genre show that affects depth and maturity with gratuitous nudity and a jumbled-up narrative and huge production values that has become not only a ratings smash hit but had a large cultural impact online and off. Which is a shame because if they weren't trying to make it a GoT-come-lately fantasy politics simulator and made a show that was actually about monster hunting it would be a way better show.

I gotta agree here. I know that the fantasy politics are a big part of the books/games but holy poo poo was it boring to watch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

The showís timeline stuff was also an insane choice that added nothing to the narrative. Why not at least have a title card saying when a scene took place?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Iíve said before this is my one, big criticism. But I also get why they did it: they had 8 episodes to tell the story, had no idea if they would ever get more, and decided waiting until ep 7 to introduce Ciri wouldnít work as well.

Itís not that they had the timeline all over the place that I take issue with, it was just executed in an insane and dumb way by obsfucating when things were happening for zero payoff. In the first two episodes I had to rewind a few times to make sure I hadnít dozed off and missed something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Ariza posted:

I watched it because I enjoy Rob Lowe. It's funny that he still has a lot of the same traits that he did in Parks and Rec. It's pretty bad, but it's fine to watch while you do something else, kinda like The Rookie.

Speaking of Parks and Rec, does anyone like *Angie Tribeca*? It's so, so very stupid, but I love Rashida Jones so I started it. I had no idea it was going to be a silly Airplane/Naked Gun sorta show with stupid jokes every 10 seconds.

I love the actual show Angie Tribeca as much as I hate the name of the show being Angie Tribeca. I donít know why but I have a really strong, irrational dislike of it. Maybe because Tribeca is a word made of jamming a sentence together and doesnít make sense as a personís name?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

DC Murderverse posted:

Ronda Rousey gave one of the single worst voice-acting performances I've ever encountered in my entire life (in an otherwise wonderful Mortal Kombat story), anyone who hires to her act beyond what the WWE makes her do is an idiot, full stop end of discussion

Oh my god, that VA performance she did was loving awful. Tricia Helfer was the VA for Sonya in MKX, and going from her pretty drat good performance to Rouseyís middle school play level line reads was painful.

Also, I would do terrible things for a Netflix MK series. Címon, make it happen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Kurtzman and Orci were banned from writing by the geneva convention.

I was going to give you poo poo about Fringe being fantastic, but looking at the writing credits for that show they only wrote a tiny sliver of the episodes. Most of those were early season 1, which is the weakest part of the show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

I do like that one himym episode that's got a subliminal countdown though. Really builds up the anxiety

HIMYM was really good when it was good, but it shambled on long after it should have ended. It rebounded before the end but then... that finale, woof, that was an awful ending.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Finished s4 of Silicon Valley. Is my desire to strangle Thomas Middleditch going to go down at all over the final two seasons? He just seems to keep doing the same loving stupid things over and over again, and it bugs me the other characters just haven't kicked him out completely. I feel I've read this kind of criticism before, that the show just seems to keep going in circles but I'm hoping the last 2 seasons do something a bit different? It's funny still, and I like Middleditch as a comedian, but the character is killing me now.

Not really but the show starts leaning into him being a tremendous jackass more.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

I will say about Silicon Valley, the finale was perfect. After all the times they managed to narrowly avert disaster, having it end with a desperate scramble to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory was perfect.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hannibal was part of NBC's weird trend of trying to put at least one "prestige" show on the air, even if they had no place for it at all. I remember SouthLAnd and Emerald City being other attempts to bring big dick streaming energy to the channel, neither of them being much in the way of commerical success.

Oh, and American Crime on ABC was, if anything, stranger IMO. The school shooting episode that had documentary interviews with Columbine survivors is probably the most off-brand thing that channel's ever produced.

They only did Southland for one season, then it moved to... TNT or TBS, one of the Tís. It was way more prestigey once it channel hopped and started having stuff like Sherman sliding into corruption.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

DC Murderverse posted:

it, but the Billie Eilish one was disappointing, i wish she had done something a little more energetic.

Energetic and Billie Eilish seem like polar opposites to me. Iíve only heard her stuff thatís on the radio but she sounds barely conscious in it.

S7 of P and R is indeed a step down, but itís no worse than S2 and its biggest flaw is the same one the whole show had (Tom Haverford does not die in a gas main explosion at any point) so I canít complain too much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

I really want a Tom Cruise vs Keanu Reeves action movie. Both those guys go so balls out on doing their own stunts. Not needing stunt doubles would let you pull off some stuff you donít really see in a lot of modern action movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Cruise also repeatedly dies in stupid/embarrassing ways in Edge of Tomorrow, even if they donít stick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think I've seen a single one of those films.

Theyíre mostly good but MI2 is intensely dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

The same. I have just never had an interest in them. I am also like the only person who has never seen Avatar. It always blows people's minds when they find that out.

You arenít missing anything by not watching Avatar now. It was kind of cool in theatres for the 3D but itís just not a good movie and itís like an hour too long.