Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anybody watching Jesus Christ Superstar? It's a pretty great show, but I would have thought a controversial choice for Easter. It pointedly doesn't include a resurrection ...

Also black Jesus with John Legend playing him, which I would think would piss off a lot of the usual suspect.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I remember it airing two years ago. Legend and Dixon are both excellent, but most of the other casting is pretty naff.

Yeah I didn't know it was a rerun. Dixon was loving great. I thought Sarah Bareilles was really good too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it bad this actually makes me want to watch it?

It's Star Trek so you can skip the first season

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"The Great" is excellent. It reminds me of Iannucci in that it's loving hilarious while deal with bleak reality.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone watch HBO's The Great? I hadn't even known its been released if not for an errant cellphone ad.

Yeah it loving rules.

Everyone should watch it. It's a fictionalized version of Catherine the Great's rise to power.

The main thrust of the first season is she arrives in Russia to marry the emperor with naive dreams of benevolently guiding Russia into modernity with all the new ideas that are buzzing around Western Europe.

When she gets there, she finds out nearly everyone in the Russian court is a dumb prick, and she starts plotting a coup.

I think the thing that takes it from good to excellent is that they don't fall into the trap of making Catherine the stereotype of a hyper-competent woman struggling nobly against the patriarchy. She makes a bunch of dumb mistakes, and her compatriots have their failings as well.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 18, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Batwoman will be great without Batwoman.

Escobarbarian posted:

jesus CHRIST the reveal at the end of episode 6 of The Great

The reason why Marial's family got demoted to serfs? Rules.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sweet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't see anything wrong with the current Hulu interface :confused:

Never had an issue with it.

The new one doesn't look all that different either.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished The Great and I liked it a bunch but think it probably should have been a 30 minute show. Also I was disappointed I didn’t get to see Peter loving die.

It’s weird that it’s listed as a miniseries in a bunch of places when it really feels like it’s intended to be ongoing.

Gotta save something for for Season 2!

Also they've changed the history so much that I don't see any reason to kill him off. Just have him hang around as a powerless washout. He's funny, the show would be worse without him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Haven't started on it yet, but they changed history? As in the big events played out very differently? Or do you just mean that they took a few liberties for the sake of comedy?

I don't know much at all about the actual history, just a Wikipedia scan, but the changes appear to be for story structure's sake.

They condense Catherine and Peter's relationship a ton. They were married 18 years with 2 kids before he became emperor and then she coup-ed him 6 months later. In the show, she arrives to meet him for the first time and marry him after he's already become emperor. This allows them to do a lot of fish-out-of-water stuff and for Catherine to come to learn what a prick Peter is slowly.

I'm sure for comedy's sake that everyone is much, much more awful than they were in real life too.

The show's title card bills it as "an occasionally true tale", so they're upfront about it being pretty fictionalized.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 21, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

John Krasinski sold off Some Good News. It will now air on CBS All Access and no longer star John Krasinski.

https://news.avclub.com/john-krasinski-cashes-out-sells-some-good-news-to-viac-1843592037

Alright I'm no TV executive, but hear me out here. I don't watch this thing, but I assume the reason people are watching it is because of John Krasinski. So, follow me here, if you pay a shitload of money for barely an idea, you should keep John Krasinski in it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

John Krasinski is a CIA asset anyway, gently caress him.

I watched the first episode of that Jack Ryan show, and the heroes help kidnap and torture 2 guys on barely a shred of a reason, and they turn out to have been right to do so, and I never watched another episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

What We Do in the Shadows was renewed for another season.

Dope

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I found an old history channel special about the Oak Island Mystery Hole and was like, yeah I'll watch some goobers try to dig a hole. That "season one" on the cover is a bit ambitious though, I thought. They aren't gonna be making a season two of the goobers investigating a hole show, I thought.

The seventh season just finished. Over a hundred episodes about the Lagina Brothers trying to get to the bottom of a hole.

Well ... so what's at the bottom?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Not gonna lie, if they animated some Art Bell call-ins and aired it at 2 am I would be incredibly there for it.

You can't just give away ideas like this, man.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Today's sitcoms have the opposite problem, where cast members just vanish and the show inexplicably keeps going without them.

What's the weirdest of these? I never watched the last season of That 70's Show, but didn't Topher Grace bail but the show kept going?

Not a sitcom, but Grey's Anatomy went on for like a million years and may still be going as far as I know. Did the titular Grey leave at some point?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Howerton was going to bail on Always Sunny but opted not to between seasons. They wrote his character out and everything.

Oh yeah, they even had an episode with Mindy Kaling as his replacement to make fun of shows replacing characters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Nova Scotia Business Initiative pair for like Half the show’s costs in 2018. Probably makes keeping it on the air a no-brainer for the network.

After reading up on the show a bit, I'm picturing Canadian government agents sneaking in every night for 7 years and sabotaging their effort to dig a hole.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

While a lot of current and last 15 years of Simpsons isn't great, I would like to see select episodes put up against the classics in a blind way, viewed by people who haven't watched and grown up on it. There are a couple episodes that stand out, and there are a lot that are written by pretty accomplished TV writers that I think would be considered good, but the prism of "Simpsons now bad" is a strong one. I know Megan Amran wrote an episode that was the highest rated in several years. I just wondered if you dropped it in the middle of the classic years (references aside) if it would be viewed in the same way as its surrounding episodes.

Nah, even the good ones from the new seasons aren't in the same ballpark as the classic ones. The Megan Amran one would be the worst episode in like Season 7.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, the newer episodes, while mostly fine, kind of have this sense that they're just going through the motions - I can't really think of much that was original or memorable that they brought to the series overall.

The Late Philip J. Fry is probably the standout from the Comedy Central revival. That one's up there with the best of the early run. I'm having trouble thinking of any other really good Comedy Central ones off the top of my head. The series finale is quite good but not great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

That's a good episode but it's marred by the fact that the emotional core is built on the Fry/Leela romance. An d the Fry/Leela romance is terrible.

Probably the best episode of the series, the one where Fry switches hands with the robot devil, is also based on their romance.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Most of the Comedy Central episodes are decent, but the bad ones are REALLY bad. I remember That Darn Katz, Yo Leela Leela, and the Butterjunk Effect as stand-out really bad episodes. And somehow all the anthology type episodes in the revival were absolutely terrible. Wish they had just done more Tales of Interest.

Ditto. The Tales of Interest were always fun.

I don't think the other anthologies were too bad, except for the Saturday morning cartoon one, which was such a pile of poo poo that they broke their streak of ending the season on an anthology because it would have been the series finale and they could tell it sucked too bad to let the show go out like that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

So Upload. I thought it was great.

My one gripe is Cigarette Smoking Man. There is no way he'd want to be an old man in heaven :colbert:

That guy also seemed like a good escape plan for the main dude not be stuck under his girlfriend's thumb anymore, but he never even asked. Seemed like he had fortunes to spare.

feedmyleg posted:

Wow. Y'all weren't kidding about The Great. It's weirder, darker, and more compelling than I was expecting based on The Favourite. Both great, but The Great is way more my jam.

Yeah it rules

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheAardvark posted:

I think the only way it's likely to happen is if one or more of the other cast members decide not to continue after the first dies. And even then it'll only happen if there's enough backlash about mass recasting.

Disney actually has a strong financial incentive to cancel The Simpsons. The syndication deals with the Fox affiliates were "you can have syndicated episodes cheap as gently caress as long as new episodes are airing." Once the show stops making new episodes, Disney gets out of those contracts and can renegotiate for much, much higher rates with those affiliates or their competitors in the same markets.

Plus it would allow them to clear the creative deck and get rid of the people who have been driving it into the ground for 20 years or so.

I think it's likely over the summer they announce the next season (the last one on the contract) is the last season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MorrisBae posted:

They should just go back and make the "Krusty is actually Homer and Bart finally embraces his father as his hero" ending that they envisioned after the first few seasons, and don't explain a goddamn thing

Do it in 4:3 and everything

The last 25 years were like the final season of Roseanne - alternate reality

Also Marge's hair hides a pair of Life is Hell bunny ears

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

But what's going to happen is a self-fellating hour-long parade of every single minor character and guest star the show has ever had

They're all expert witnesses in the trial of the Simpson family.

Except for Apu of course

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

That may have been true at one point but I can't imagine it's still the case. My local station has it running at 2:30am now and I'm sure they'd be fine ditching it if not for the fact that they get it cheap.

Yeah they were talking a few years back about splitting future syndication deals into "eras" where you'd pay only for 10-year chunks of The Simpsons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I just got done watching part 2 of Gourmet Makes Choco Taco and had to laugh at how even while filming at home Delaney still did a walk on (well, Skype on) while Claire was working.

I liked how she got it done in like half a day and was like "what the gently caress am I doing in the test kitchen?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Just finished The Great, and I really enjoyed it. I know it's only loosely based on the true story but I read up a bit more on Wikipedia, and assuming we're all still alive next season, I expect that Nicholas Hoult will still be around playing the 4 impostor Peters that popped up after his death. I'm guessing the next season will start after the coup and Peter's fate will not be revealed from the get-go, leaving us to wonder if Catherine merely had him secretly imprisoned like early conspiracy theorists were saying.

Oh my god, that would be so loving amazing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

The effort spend on making Snowpiercer into a generic procedural is almost impressive. Better not make a show about how oppressed people rising up is good.

Apparently people like it?

I assume the main message is "We can all pull together no matter the class dividing lines!" and then nothing materially changes for the poor people. That pretty close?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maeO6Isb_So

A video about bad History Channel shows in particular "Hunting Hitler" and how they're really bad with their Nazi worship.

This was very entertaining. I had no idea the History Channel was doing this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

The History Channel was pretty much founded on shows about Hitler and World War II.

Yeah, I remember the docs he talks about that glorified the Nazi war machine, but these Hunting Hitler people are something else.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I know that a lot of people don't mean it that way but it is kind of troubling how often fiction writers will do stuff where Nazis win WWII or are still around and they have all kinds of advanced super science like somehow being Nazis mean that we'd go to the Moon faster or something like that.

According to that youtube, Germans today use the Nazi names for their super science projects, "Wunderwaffle," as an ironic slam on something that seems like bullshit tech.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember when I started watching Mad Men, I kept wondering when Kristen Schaal was going to show up again.

I had no idea she was in the pilot.

Haha, that one's gotta sting even if you have a great career afterward.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The last season was pretty good. I think you can break the plots into:

- Apocalypse misadventures
- Tandy is a dick

And the episodes in the first category are good but the episodes in the second category suck.

Overall, I think they maybe should have gone a bit more traditional apocalypse show. It's fairly aimless because the characters are all drunk or self-absorbed so no one tries to rebuild society in the slightest way.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 5, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Please help us out! My wife and I need a new show to obsessively binge-watch together. We recently finished Travelers and Happy Endings, and we're having a harder and harder time finding something fun that we both like.

The Great. Watch The Great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Someone noted in another thread that in the first appearance of Elmer Fudd, he was a wildlife photographer, not a hunter.

Seems like a slam dunk to just return to that :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

This has absolutely nothing to do with TV but this is the only Chat thread I post regularly in so I have no clue where else to ask.

Is there some forum or thread for like "I just found some random rear end thing in a drawer and I have no idea what the gently caress it is?"

I guess it COULD have something to do with TV. I have no idea what the hell this thing is.

Just start a thread in GBS so they can tell you exactly what kind of dildo it is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I hate reddit and GBS so I'm taking Timby's invitation. Sorry, thread.

No markings, brand name, model number, or nothing. Runs on two watch batteries. LED lights aren't bright enough to make a difference. No idea what that metal bar is. It doesn't get hot or cold. It doesn't vibrate or anything so I'm not traumatized to have found a family member's sex device. I thought I was onto something but it is not a magnet. Its also not a stud finder. That was a random thought. No idea whatsoever. It feels like half of something but I can't figure out what the other half could be either. This is confounding me.

Base isn't flared enough. You're gonna get that stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is this the right place for YouTube drama? Because Bon Apetit is having a real one today

https://twitter.com/sarahmanavis/status/1270069650060083207

lol only the white people are getting paid CondeNast is garbage