Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1215340830417752069?s=20

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa

theblackw0lf posted:

This looks really good.

From Alex Garland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNloYTsH0Y

Oops just found the new thread.

Yeah this looks loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I need this so bad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ashpanash posted:

What does 'legalized crime' even mean?

License to kill? :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Everybody I know who reads discworld is super chill

But its probably less obscure in the UK and you maybe run into more weirdos there?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zoux posted:

I live in Austin so I can't watch it

Yeah, the trailer made it seem more "Texas" than the reality.

Last time I was in LA someone asked me if I took a horse to work. At least its not that bad, haha.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd argue that the Witcher is low magic, it just doesn't seem that way because it's about the magic users.

Yeah, I mean with most things its relative.

LOTR is high fantasy compared to Conan.

LOTR is low fantasy compared to WoW.

Witcher is the same. Magic exists and people can use it, but not many and its hard.

More than Conan where magic is just kinda mystical, but less than WoW where every single person has floating shoulderpads and their house is powered by crystals that cook and clean for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

loving lmao

there's good episodes here and there in each season so I'd say its worth burning through, but there's definitely some misses

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, I kept watching Silicon Valley (mostly because I binged the last two seasons at once) but it started to feel ridiculously formulaic and repetitive towards the end. Good they called it.

There's only so many times you can have a demo go to poo poo last minute, only to have Middleditch come up with a genius solution last second, before it wears thin. Show never became anything else.

I wanted to see them actually succeed and how that changed things, but I guess the writers had no idea what to do with that, so they just kept writing excuses to reset the plot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

probably not a series that has shown death more beautifully

Is that really a good thing?

With game of thrones there was this whole series online called "beautiful death" that would do like a painting of major GOT characters dying, and it seemed really weird and creepy to me.

Like some kind of bizarre obsession. Making such a big deal of "beautiful death" seems like you're treating the show like a snuff film. Its just.... weird. Macabre, but in a creepy way.

I mean I like talking about philosophy as much (or more) than the next guy, but particularly obsessing about the visuals involved in death just seems like maybe not a good or healthy idea really. It seems exploitative in a way.

Now, Hannibal was a beautiful show, no doubt, I really liked it. Sorry to pick on you, I just, I've seen people expressing feelings like that and it just seems kinda not good to me.

Death is a part of life and storytelling as a result, but getting too hyped over depictions of death turns television entertainment into like, mock Roman blood-sport or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I think you can show death without glorifying it, which is where you probably run into some problems. There's no confusion that Hannibal is a Bad Guy and that these deaths are bad things -- theres no sympathy for him as a character, there's no justification for him killing the people he kills -- they're just presented artistically, which probably is better than Random Cop Procedural where 10 people are murdered each episode (and the characters gun down people all the time).

I'd also say Hannibal takes death (and presents death) more seriously than most crime/police procedurals.

I agree and I tried to say I have no problem with Hannibal whatsoever, I really liked it. I said that.

I just think what you said... it reminded me of something I see a lot of people expressing and it kinda worries me.

The show being beautiful is great. The show taking death seriously is fine and can be cool. But just someone specifically saying, "I like that show because of all the beautiful death" is... weird to me. But you are far from the only person to use those words.

I even really enjoy shows like Spartacus that get pretty gory, and I'd say the action sequences are some of my favorites. But, the part I like is the choreography and the skilled fighting, not the gore and especially not the visuals of people dying and being dead itself.

But like I said I'm sorry to pick on you. I just, those GOT posters always kinda seemed weird to me. And they must make lots of profit to justify the advertising!

E: https://beautifuldeath.com/ look its a whole marketing site, I guess this is official HBO endorsed. Seems kinda weird to me IDK.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 25, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Re: Hannibal Chat - :allears:

Wait so do they fight a real bear or Bear the humanperson? Because one sounds needlessly cruel and the other just sounds dumb...

I don't think they fight anybody. Its a dumb ancient warriors thing where they do competitions and compare the results.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just realised that this thread had an entire discussion about recent good time travel shows and we completely neglected to mention Dark.

Dark rules. Watch Dark.

I thought about mentioning it but I haven't finished it yet

GreenNight posted:

I haven't watched it yet. If it's not filmed in Canada is it really a time travel show though?

Yes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GreenNight posted:

You haven't watched many MI movies then. Tom gets his rear end beat and sometimes only wins by sheer luck.

You haven't watched much about scientology then. Tom no doubt has some insane crazy poo poo in his contract. The guy is known to be extremely loving weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

Yeah but nobody agrees with me that 1 was the best one. Fallout owned too though.

1 was the best one because it was an actual impossible mission. There was heists. There was planning. There was deception and spy-craft and stuff.

2 onwards are just dumb action movies. Tom Cruise's Die Hard. But 1 wasn't that. 1 was a movie that came from the TV show, which was SMART.

I loving miss that. 1 was the best by a mile. The TV show was even better :corsair:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pineapple and cheese?!?!?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Jalapeno kettle chips are whatever Goku became later. The red body fur thing? I dunno, I stopped watching DB 10 years ago.

I loving love Jalapeno kettle chips. I literally just polished off a bag of them.

Have you tried the Pepperoncini? They're very similar but have a bit more zest to them and a tiny bit less heat. Pretty great also.

Those two plus sea salt and vinegar are the best beer chips ever made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There are so many great Walker’s flavors you can get in the UK but not here in the US and it’s total BULLSHIT because they’re the same company as Lay’s! Let me loving buy curry/lamb & mint/roast chicken flavored crisps here, goddamnit!

The only flavors Americans want are variations of cheese and it’s so boring :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVbtqTEFZw&t=469s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Definitely the first time she's ever cooked anything

holy poo poo

"my infamous lasagna" definitely following someone else's instructions the whole time lmao

E: AHAHAHAHA oh my god watch her try to brown that meat

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 29, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

esperterra posted:

I get the vibe she actually has cooked before, but is used to having people prep everything for her lmfao

these spoons are brutal

I dunno, I get like Donald Trump vibes from her where she's got no skills but has to pretend she's perfect anyways because ego.

But she's also not super smart or good at lying so you can see it slip. At the end she's like literally "Lasagna is like, very hard to make! Well, actually, I don't think it is, but lots of people think it is. But its actually really fun and really easy.... but I guess it is a lot of steps compared to like, making Toast or something"

:psyduck: That's straight out of the DT playbook to just say "lots of people are saying this!"

Also the way she forgets the onion or garlic, but then shrugs it off with "eh I don't want onion or garlic in mine!" but then later when she puts her sunglasses on she's like "these are great when you're cutting onions!". That and she calls it her famous lasagna recipe like this is her way of making it, but then decides to skip on an ingredient this time? If this is hers then why does the recipe just not have onion then? Why would she go get onions only to not use them...

I mean I'm clearly overthinking this and need to go to bed but gah! Every step of that was awful in some way. I am the worst cook on the planet Earth, I've never learned how to cook, but I can cook a basic spaghetti or lasagna that poo poo's easy. She looks like she's never browned ground beef before. I wouldn't eat that its probably all full of bacteria.

The thing that bothers me the most, oddly, is how she's like "No tap water! Blah! You don't know what's in those sewers!" and uses bottled water. Not to add to the cooking, but so she can dampen a paper towel. To pick up salt. To throw away.
A drop of tap water ain't gonna kill you oh my god!
(And then after acknowledging that was too much salt, she adds Himalayan Salt! WHAT)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 29, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thing is if she'd be honest it'd be fine and maybe even endearing?

"I'm Paris Hilton and I'm not great at cooking but lets give it a shot! Cooking can be fun! Lets learn together."

Rageaholic posted:

t's kinda wild how she doesn't look like she's aged at all since The Simple Life and that started airing just over 16 YEARS AGO. I'm assuming she's had work done.

She doesn't look older but she does look different so ... maybe. Her voice sounds older though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Surely on some level you must realize that this is exactly the reaction they wanted, right? Pretty much the entire online ecosystem for viral cooking videos and lifehacks is built around the fact that people are way more likely to watch and share bad ones than good ones, and Paris Hilton's entire reality TV empire was built around cynically capitalizing on all the people who want to scoff at someone acting dumb on TV so they can feel better about themselves. It's a match made in heaven.

I suppose. But contrary to your point, Bon Appetite rules and like everybody I know watches them now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix has announced they're making a live action One Piece series. Which seems... weird.

After how they butchered Death Note's live action series..... yikes :(

muscles like this! posted:

It is also only going to be 10 episodes which means unless they really rush they're barely going to get anywhere with the story.

WHAT?

That's like, barely enough to get through Sea-King arc. IF that's the only thing you do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Edge of Tomorrow, if manga counts. Oldboy as well if manga counts.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney live action was pretty good and faithful to the original. Same with the Kenshin movie.

The problem is western anime adaptations are like early comic book adaptations; they aren't respectful of the source material. They think "well, this is fine and good, but we're gonna make it better and more like a Holllywood movie" and they loving ruin everything that made it an interesting property in the first place. We need to get to the MCU age where people actually give a gently caress about the original comics and understand how to convey that tone in live action movies.

Such as the Ghost in the Shell or Dragon Ball or Airbender (if americanime counts) adaptations which changed a ton and hosed everything up.

God I really hope that Cowboy Bebop doesn't suck balls, don't let me down John Cho

MiddleOne posted:

Death Note,

HELL no they hosed that up royally, it was awful

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh I didn't realize manga and anime were synonymous terms, I look forward to using them interchangably henceforth

That's why I asked "if it counts" sheesh! Sue me for mentioning a couple of anime-adjacent entries.

Seriously zoux, sorry I responded. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Speed Racer is great.

If you go in expecting literally Hot Wheels: The Movie its decent.

The thing is its more based on the experience of watching Speed Racer the US cartoon and not really knowing what's going on, compared to the actual Mach GoGoGo which was a proper racing show, even if it was rudimentary in animation.

So I can't stand it. The cars all move wrong and its just extremely contrived.

But I'm a car guy, so its kinda like a doctor watching a medical show or a lawyer watching a court drama, that's the nature of the deal I guess. But then I can enjoy even the goofiness of Fast n' Furious, at least things look right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I don't think a movie that opens with cars doing 270 degree turns on a giant track suspended in midair while the lead character races the ghost of his brother straight out of a Mario Kart replay should be criticized for not adhering to realism. There are tons of movies that are built around doing practical stunts with real cars and tons more that strive for realism with their special effects, having a movie that cares more about selling the thrill and chaos of racing in the abstract while being as colorful and unreal as possible is a much rarer thing and them pulling it off is nothing short of amazing.

Did you just feel like hearing yourself speak? Because you kinda ignored the point of my comment to rant.

I literally said its fine if you go in expecting hot wheels. And now you're arguing to me that hot wheels movies deserve to exist. Cool, yeah, that's the point.

If it wasn't based on an existing IP I'd have zero complaints. But you see, there's this thing called context. I know on an internet message board its tempting to snipe a comment out of the air and attack it because it isn't a perfect message in a bottle, but you have to consider the context of conversations; and the context of my post was I was responding to specifically the idea of anime adaptations. And in that context, I was frustrated with the adaptation because it seemed to use the name but take it in a very specific angle not really true to the original IP but instead just more specific to some westerners' take on it.

Also the idea that you're supposed to know how a movie opens before you've seen it when you're deciding to see it or not is really odd. That's not how anything works, Sleeveless.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

esperterra posted:

All You Need is Kill is a light novel tyvm. The manga was an adaptation!

:monocle:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Much like how I miss when Mission Impossible was actually about spycraft (basically just MI:1, and the show) I also miss when F&F was about car street racing.

Because now its just another generic hollywood action series that just sometimes has cars in it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

Also, what other Hollywood action series has such an emphasis on doing anything for family?

Even the last Die Hard was pitched this way, its become extremely common.

Admittedly Furious does it a little better? But it also varies heavily from film to film based on who's directing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zoux posted:

It's just a weird way to phrase it "when you found about" it. I guess they're trying to capture the people who were too young to remember it happening but I heard about it, you know, as it was happening. That's what put me in mind of the TSCC scene.

Nah. Its trying to play off the "where were you when you heard JFK was shot", which is a very common question, but times have changed and the time period in the day in which 9/11 happened means it doesn't really work the same way.

The answer is either "work" or "school", so its a super bad security question.

Its not about people who were too young that doesn't make sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

I was watching that Netflix brain show narrated by Emma Stone and in the one about memory they're talking about how bad memory is and how memories erode over time, people keep getting things wrong about where they were on 9/11 etc, and I'm just like, drat, I wish I could ever forget anything. I hate how good my long term memory is.

Almost guaranteed some of your "good long term memories" are totally wrong. Human brains are not nearly as perfect as we like to think they are. Perception bias rules.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wait whaaaaat

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

As I always say every time Solo comes up, it would have been a whole lot better if it had focus, and was centered around one or two of the beats, such as maybe his early life and escape from Corilla and his training to become an Imperial pilot would have been a really cool movie. Especially since they were gunning for this one to be a series.

The need to check all the boxes on prequel beats, all in ONE film, was such a bad idea.

You could do a whole film of "how Han met Chewie"

Instead in one film we get Han meeting Chewie, Lando, getting the Falcon, doing the Kessel Run, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zoux posted:

I mean, Han Solo is one of the most iconic heroes in American pop cinema, and the Han Solo that exists in the heads of SW fans is an unattainable ideal, I cannot think of a worse SW character to try and recast. There's no actor alive who's going to be able to pull that off.

Yeah, Ford IS Solo, would probably be better to just do a movie about a new smuggler dude

But then you have to write.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I watched First Man on HBO last night since its going away soon. Good movie.

Also the first episode of McMillions, which was okay but considering I already know the basic story, took way too long to get on with it. Still, next episode should be better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It isn’t. The people who hate the new films are just extremely vocal and know how to use social media and YouTube to stir people into a frenzy. And I’m not talking about folks who have legitimate criticisms and discuss them intelligently

You just contradicted yourself.

There are tons of legit criticisms of the new star wars disney stuff. Lets not do this plz.

The force awakens: good new characters, but a basic by the numbers repeat of A New Hope

Last Jedi: weirdly paced mess of a film where a chase happens but then is put on pause for days while an adventure happens that goes nowhere, no characters seem to have real agency, a bunch of contrived manufactured drama that isn't exciting and has no clear stakes

Rogue One: legit good star wars war drama, although the first act drags badly. Pacing issues but good story.

Solo: Boring

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 5, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People with legit criticisms exist but the twitter Nazis are much louder and more influential in steering general discourse.

Of course they do, and that's true of all kinds of subject matters. Doesn't mean we should talk about them, and bringing it up in this way implies anybody who disagrees with you is a Nazi which is a huge derail. You wanna say what you like or don't like, leave it at that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

The unicorn's horn wobble in Willow was a bit too obvious, and Tom Cruise was a little too sexy. Though even if you don't like the movie, you've gotta admit it was rad when James Earl Jones turned into a snake.

Stop I'm having a stroke

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching this. Halfway through season 3. I know he's an rear end in a top hat, but is it wrong that I agree with Larry the majority of the time? Sure, I wouldn't go about it the same way but I just.. . get him.

That's what makes it work so well. I totally sympathize with him, while also recognizing that he often takes it way too far, to his own downfall. But then that becomes schadenfreude too.

Escobarbarian posted:

Most of Curb is about how Larry is an rear end in a top hat but everyone around him is even worse

True, but that varies. Sometimes he definitely is the rear end in a top hat in the episode.

But like, Seinfeld (obviously) or Its Always Sunny are all about the lovable assholes, where you both identify with them but also look down on them, so you can both laugh WITH and AT them at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SimonChris posted:

I couldn't understand half the dialogue, so I am waiting for a subtitled version.

The visuals were beautiful, though. There are shots of cross-hatched neighborhoods where you can clearly see the line between Beszel and Ul Qoma from color scheme and architectural styles.

Oh wow that looks super cool

I only just heard about The City and The City recently after playing Disco Elysium and talking about similar works, and a tv show sounds pretty rad