Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The accusation didn't seem to amount to much. He was on the paley center panel in 2019 and the entire cast was there supporting him includling Amy Poehler, Rita, Rashida Jones, Aubrey Plaza, and Mike Schurr. The site that reported the abuse doesn't even exist anymore and the journalist that wrote it isn't a journalist anymore either.

e: I admit the Tom Haverford character sucked

I don't see how any of those details about the site or writer have anything to do with the truth/substance of the allegations against Aziz.

If someone changes their job category does that invalidate all work they did under previous employment?

Of all the broke brained attempts to defend Aziz this might actually be the worst and that's including trying to point out that Thebabe.net was some free wheeling gossip site where the staff had frequent open bar nights and male execs were routinely harassing the female staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I liked Moffett's version of Jekyll actually.

Is that the modern one where it starts with someone getting hired and they cut to a chair with restraints in the middle of a room?

And later theres a govt special forces team after him?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

She has a semi-autobiographical comedy series coming to Comedy Central this month called "Awkwafina is Nora from Queens."

Is Comedy Central putting out good shows like they used too? Broad City was amazing, so was Nathan For You but I dont associate CC with making good shows very often.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Justified has the greatest final scene of any show I have ever watched. And so many fantastic moments along the way.

Justified belongs in the same category as Hell on Wheels. Genuinely great shows, outstanding in some aspects even, that unfortunately existed in the same general TV era as Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and GoT.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The games are way more character driven than the show, and also written about 20 times better.

Because the games were written by fans of the series, and since Sapkowski said "Idgaf just cut me a flat rate check for the rights" they wrote everything themselves building off his work and it's basically fanfiction written by a writing team with constant feedback and editing to make a generally great story.

On the subject of the show, there's all the books to milk (5 seaons+), and Netflix desperately needs a crossover smash success, so if it maintains its momentum if/when they finish the books and start debating adapting the games there's a massive legal hurdle in that CDPR owns the games and their IP outright and don't owe Sapkowski anything for them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ashpanash posted:

loving christ, do you ever have something positive to say about anything? Or is it just endless chastizing and general misanthropy?

It's a guy mann rereg who can't stop complaining how people will follow him from thread to thread insulting him, and also insists that referring to them as "guy mann" is as bad as deadnaming a trans person. Most threads he regularly posts in people just put him on ignore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not really but the show starts leaning into him being a tremendous jackass more.

It feels like it perfectly distills the life cycle of SV tech bro. As he makes more and more his character flaws get worse and worse to the point where he's recklessly hurting people but suffers no serious consequences because it's a sitcom. Through all of it you could argue he's his own worst enemy, not any outside agents.

Him going to Jared and treating him like poo poo because Jared was willing to stick to his beliefs and ethics was pretty much what you expect from every high flying VC success. No matter what you did or how essential you were once you refuse to lick their boots you drop to human scum they wouldn't think twice about letting starve to death.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ketchup chips sound like eating farts what is wrong with you all? :barf:

Have you tried them? They are sweet, salty, and tangy in the perfect combination.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

Veep
Happy Endings
Malcolm in the Middle
You're the Worst
Party Down
Legit
Man Seeking Women
Eastbound and Down
Vice Principals
Righteous Gemstones
Arrested Development
Silicon Valley
Review
Nathan For You
The Other Two
The League
Flight of the Concords
What we do in the Shadows
30 Rock
Scrubs

Patriot is arguably a comedy, a super dark comedy that just doesn't ever let up.

The Thick of It; the original VEEP set in the politics of the UK.

Peep Show is outstanding and one of the best "cringe" humor shows ever made.

Chuck is comedy mixed with drama-lite but is a fun casual show to binge and not think too hard.

Entourage is worth watching until you hate it. There are a couple core characters that make the show watchable, Vince isn't one of them.

Psych. If you don't like this show you are a monster.

The IT Crowd: Brit nerd humor set in a poorly run corporate IT department. It's a great intro to Matt Berry

Jean Claude Van Johnson. The pilot was spectacular, the series a fun watch, cancelled by Amazon too soon.

Black Adder: Much older, but one of the BBC GOATs for comedy.

Bojack Horseman

New Girl

Episodes w/ Matt Leblanc

Kim's Convenience

White Gold

Ash vs the Evil Dead

Neo Yokio- Do you want to listen to Jaden Smith's inner thoughts?

Santa Clarita Diet

Z Nation

iZombie

Wet Hot American Summer First Day of Camp and 10 Years Later

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

RIP to the Grinder

That shows cancellation is a condemnation pf everything that Network TV stands for.

Rob Lowe and Timothy Olyphant dueling against each other as two delusional celebs over who is the better fake lawyer? That episode alone should've guaranteed a second season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Don't respond to Guy Mann it only makes him dumber.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Just looked at my calendar for see what's coming up and holy poo poo Homeland is in it's 8th season

Didn't they elect a Russian spy as president several seasons back?

Are they coasting on all the praise and hype from season 1 because I have not seen mention of Homeland in years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Most tv romances are bad.

I can think of like, two, that were any good.

Crichton and Aeryn.

Man, Farscape really was an incredible show in so many ways. Shame they dont make things like it anymore.

Makes me sad to think back 20+ years to one of my favorite shows but I think its the "saw it between ages 12-20" thing where decades later you still regard it as better then the new stuff now regardless of quality.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Wow. The Kung Fu Reboot sounds incredibly lame:

So... taking away literally everything interesting about it?

I love how they fall over themselves to talk about how "problematic" it was that David Carradine played the original character of a Shaolin Monk.

The entire plot premise was that he was a small white American child who was orphaned in China and taken in by the monks and raised as one of their own, has to flee China and returns to America to try to learn about his heritage. It's shockingly woke by the 1970s standards and even has tons of non-white actors in actual roles and not as racist cariciatures, something modern shows still struggle with.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The showrunners have said that if it continues into season 3 it'll be a completely new story instead of an adaptation.

And it makes sense they skipped book 2 as the trilogy is very loosely connected outside of having the same main character.

Yeah if.

S1 worked better as a contained story, S2 is clearly setting the ground for the hope of more seasons to tell a epic story. They dropped more hints and details in 30 seconds about the Elders in one episode then in the entirety of season 1. It's pretty obvious they want to explore that angle but with Netflix's propensity to abruptly cancel shows its not like they can really plan out that much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

This really feels like a show that probably only needs 2 more seasons, give or take. Structurally, it could go on as long as they have a writer's room since the characters never really age - but unless they change course and go American Horror Story with it each season (albeit with the same characters), this arc just doesn't feel like it has legs.

I'd rather have a post mortality futuristic murder mystery with a good cast of characters exploring crazy weird hosed up society and culture then another epic syfy story about mysterious precursors and xeno-tech.

Especially since the budget will probably get ground down into nothing as the series goes on. Cheap cgi is worse then just letting the imagination fill in the gap, but no every show has to have its "dramatic full face reveal" for the hidden mystery.

The reason Alien still holds up 41 years later is they saw the costume, knew it looked like poo poo, and decided to minimize how much of the creature they showed so audiences would create their own terrifying ideal from the brief flashes.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 28, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I watched Altered Carbon S2- it never really gets anywhere near as bad as S1 does at times, but it also is far less interesting and never has anything like the good parts of S1.

They hitched their show to exploring the unknown mysteries of all that elder civilization stuff. Its a bad idea since the expanse is already doing that and Jeff Bezos is gonna fund that show for 10 seasons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alchenar posted:

If they get a season 3 I don't think there was any indication they were going to go after the elder civilization stuff at all. None of the characters are on that path.

Given what they revealed and what is going in the larger context of what was discussed and shown

- The appearance, dialogue, and motivations of an actual elder
- That Harlan and the founders wiped out a nursery/hibernation planet with a massive tech array defending it
- The Elders were an extremely war-like race fighting against some "unknown"
- Said angel fire array, the thing making the planet so insanely hard to land on or fly anything to a certain height is gone
- Elders having the power to corrupt a stack, DHF, and remote back up entirely via touch

It's a lot to use as story elements if they planned to go in a completely different direction for season 3. I love syfy as much as anyone who grew up reading Star Wars novels but Tv sci-fi shows trying for that whole epic saga mysteries have been underwhelming at best.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

S1 doesn’t go off the rails too bad until episode 7, which is when they start really diverging from the books. It did a lot right, the casting for Kovacs and Ortega was basically exactly as I imagined them, and it looked fantastic. Plus, that soundtrack kicked rear end.

S2’s plot is stupid, a bunch of things don’t make sense, and Anthony Mackie is a pretty bad Kovacs. In S1 they were really good about keeping the mannerisms consistent between the different actors playing him, but Mackie just does his usual thing. He doesn’t talk like Kovacs which is a major problem when he’s double sleeved and sharing screen time with Will Yun Lee who talks and moves completely differently.

E:bringing Poe back was the kind of move that told me they were going to completely gently caress it up. He had a good arc in S1 but then just deciding that Kovacs got him running again because he was popular with fans shows where their writing priorities are.

Yeah Mackie was a very poor choice. He didn't bring anything interesting to the Kovacs portrayal and it didn't seem like he acted any differently then he did in the Marvel movies only sadder and angrier in general.

S1 could led into a great S2 by keeping Kovacs on Earth as a private detective gathering resources looking into finding Quellcrist and solving bizarre crimes.

Instead he's apparently gone from this super mysterious powerful fixer to bouncing around different sleeves until a basic bounty hunter bags him on a random planet to send him off to her boss.

And hands down the dumbest thing I've seen in years as a plot device

the whole wolf DNA thing being hyped up only to mean...that the Mackie sleeve can't pull the trigger on Jaeger due to alpha male/pack mentality

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 2, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For all the altered carbon chat I really feel the main point is no one is begging for a big grand sci-fi epic on Netflix, which the books also very much aren't, and instead the showrunners are basically doing a paint by numbers equivalent of "how to make a serious/dark space show"

The best parts of season 1 have nothing to do with a bunch of exposition and reveals, its about setting up the core premise and letting a good cast working with the tools they are given.

Stacks, resleeving, VR, creepy AI etc were all dropped on viewers in one episode and we didn't need a full 35 minutes about the mysterious tech that lets Poe do all the stuff he does.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I mean Harmon was in charge of five of the six seasons. As time goes on I think the show benifted from a talented very game cast more than great writing.

Just in case anyone forgot the reason Harmon was even fired in the first place was because he decided to torch his existing marriage to hit on a female community writer and then relentlessly harass her when she wouldn't give him what he wanted.

Community is great in spite of Harmon thanks to a outstanding core cast.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Timby posted:

This absolutely happened, yes, but Harmon was fired because he was a raging alcoholic, got into frequent drunken arguments with Sony executives, constantly missed work or fell asleep in meetings, and was consistently late with scripts. Eventually Sony got sick of his behavior and sacked him.

Further proof that as a white man in entertainment you can only fail upwards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

Starting The Last Ship. This is gonna be some crazy goofy fun poo poo, isn't it?

Spoilers for s2 finale I think? They needed something to make the suspicious friendly government authority the cartoon villains.

they're burning the corpses...to power the city

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If you aren't liking The Office and you want a long binge worthy sitcom then New Girl is another great option. It's one of those weird "lets make a show centered around one semi-famous movie star" but it turns out the rest of the cast is so great she's the weakest part of the show yet still not actually bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

It feels like you think you are doing the right thing here but haven't done even surface level looking into the issue. A large amount of the animals in the zoo would die almost immediately in their natural habitat due to poachers/breeding/loss of habitat and prey.

The solution here is "when they die, don't replace them"

Unless these are all animals born and bred in captivity in which case releasing them is just setting them up to die slowly and or painfully.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

swickles posted:

No accredited zoo takes in a wild animal that could survive on its own. All zoo animals are either born there, or cannot survive in the wild.

Probably a good reason to keep the zoos open then.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

Episode 2 of Tiger King is making me feel all gross and dirty. Nobody whos involved in this is a good person.

A SA goon worked with that guy for a bit and says that everything is true and there's so much more insane stuff that didn't make it into the show. He's posted about it years ago and brought it back up recently.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I watched the Netflix Dracula.

Who the gently caress paid money to have that made? Even from a "well maybe do something unique" perspective it completely fails to be interesting. It's like the kind of show a edgy 3rd year creative writing major would turn in and get a failing grade for.

How does this creator still have a job? Why do people pay them to create works of media? Who is seeing this and saying "yes, buy the next thing that person makes"? Why does it look like they spent pocket change on the sets and wardrobe?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chieves posted:

Do you have a link?

Untrustable posted:

I have a lot of stories, but I'll tell you the clown story.

We were in Davidson (?), Illinois staying at a cheap no tell motel where staff got stuffed 8-10 to a room while Joe stayed in the tour bus with his boys. We had just gotten back from almost 24 hours at the local mall doing magic shows on the hour and showing off tigers in collapsible cages in-between. It was snowing like a motherfucker and I was perched on the balcony/second story walkway in a lawn chair smoking a cigarette when I saw the clowns.

The clowns were just ex-cons in their 50s-60s who wore clown makeup and were the hype men during the days at wherever we were stopped. They'd draw people out of the hustle and bustle of the mall towards the sad tiger shanty town we'd built in the middle of the mall (it was almost always malls or parking lots).

One big rule Joe Exotic had was NO ALCOHOL. I figure this stemmed from his brother dying via drunk driver. These old clowns had a helluva time with bottleache though, so whenever we'd get settled they would go straight for a liquor store or gas station. Since Joe was cozy in his tour bus, they wouldn't get caught. They didn't get out of costume or even wipe off the facepaint. They just threw on jackets and started walking. A line of 5 or 6 clowns in the snow, wandering towards the nearest bottle of KD. About an hour later I'm back on the balcony smoking and see these guys coming back. They're trudging through the snow, facepaint sloughing off, wearing clown clothes. Each one was carrying a bottle in a brown paper bag. They were walking single file. It is one of the most surreal things I've ever seen. Like some kind of horror movie death march. If I was artistically inclined I'd have already painted that strange tableau on black velvet and hung it in my living room.

Edit: Also pretty sure I saw a kangaroo kill a man. Can't confirm it, but seems like he was dead.

Untrustable posted:

I've posted about it in a lot of threads, but Joe Exotic was and is a crazy person. I answered a Craigslist ad and drove over a hundred miles under the promise of "seeing the country". It ended up being more like:

- Clowns on a death march through the snow to buy liquor.
- A kangaroo beat a man to death (I can't prove he was dead but I never saw him after the dust-up).
- 6-10 people in one hotel room at every stop of the tour
- Massive amounts of undocumented immigrants and kids right out of high school working jobs they weren't qualified to even be close to doing
- got attacked by a lion (it was a month old, so I didn't get injured or anything)
- got into a physical confrontation over who got to sleep in the sleeper cab of the semi that hauled all the circus equipment
- Almost got my rear end beat by the Amish
- Left in Markham, Illinois in the winter because the tour ran out of money
- Cut up cow carcasses with a chainsaw to feed lions, which is messy and disgusting work

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Eh, not too insane.

quote:

Bernard Lowe (Westworld): 91%
Bruce Banner (Marvel Cinematic Universe): 90%
Felix Gaeta (Battlestar Galactica): 90%
C-3PO (Star Wars): 89%
Simon Tam (Firefly + Serenity): 89%
Ray Arnold (Jurassic Park): 89%
Odo (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): 88%
Amy Farrah Fowler (The Big Bang Theory): 88%
Miranda Hobbes (Sex and the City): 88%
Jared Dunn (Silicon Valley): 88%

Are most people getting a top 10 match below 90%? Seems weird.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Garden State.

I had a friend who obsessed over that and 500 Days of Summer as these monumentally important works of art.

Needless to say I don't listen to any of their opinions on movies, tv, or media in general.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Garden State is a bad movie and Natalie Portman’s character is so horrendously garbage like the worst “free-spirited woman who helps the male lead see the good things in their life” character ever written

My friends obsession with that and 500 Days says a lot about how he's always bitching about his hard time finding a decent girlfriend.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I know I said this before but I feel like if it wasn't in the title Psych could've dropped its "pretends to be a psychic" gimmick 5 episodes in for all the use it gets.

My memory is fuzzy but I feel like it gets mentioned almost every episode and has Shawn pantomime having a psychic vision constantly to explain what he "sees"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Yeeeeeeesh.

That looks like a skit from 30 Rock.

It's like every joke and satire made about Tv and politics in the late 2000s early 2010s is now coming true. Those "lunatic locals town halls" from Parks and Rec are now pretty standard behavior.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the Expanse ever fun? Or is it just like noir-y dramatic seriousness the whole time?

I’m finishing off Counterpart, I just finished Devs, and finished For All Mankind before that. Those were all good shows, but I wouldn’t exactly call any of them fun.

I’ve been cleansing the palate with random TNG episodes when I want something fun and not so serious to watch, but I’m coming to the end of my list of good TNG episodes.

What’s a good fun show to pick up?

The Americans.

Top tier 80s aesthetic We are at War with Russia from the side of the Russian deep cover spies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Yeah. Well his character at least.

Unacceptable. Roger Cross makes the character good just by showing up on screen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

With M&S I totally understand why they chose to order the episodes as they did, funniest first, weakest second, most meta third. But I think if they'd just showed them in order of filming (3, 2, 1 presumably) there would have been much better flow between episodes for people who binged it. However I totally understand that it's going to be tough enough to get mainstream audiences to give improv a shot to begin with, so it was probably necessary to come out of the gate as strong as possible. But it was very jarring to get to the third episode and see them intro themselves to the audience.

I don't understand, are you saying that they did all 3 improv shows in front of the same audience? Because the crowd is clearly different and they introduce themselves at the start of each episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holy poo poo lmao it looks some Xbox 360 game from 2008

It looks exactly like XIII a game that came out in 2003

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A remake in 2020 of a poor selling game from 2003 based on a Beligan comic from 1985.

Seriously did some superfan of the comics win the lottery twice? That or he's down 2 fingers on the monkey paw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Riverdale Season 4 sure is something.

"He's going to take off in his rocket"

"He owns a rocket?"

"He's been building one"