Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So I'm about 4 episodes into Twelve Monkeys, and it's just ok so far. Not bad, has a very Canadian sci-fi show feel. When does it get really "ZOMG I NEED TO WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE NOWWWWW" good?

A few assorted thoughts below. Spoiler warning for the first 4 episodes of a 5-year old show and for a 25-year old movie:

- So I gather I should just forget everything I know about Twelve Monkeys the movie? Aside from the obvious changes like the Goines gender-swap, the movie had the scientists believe that the past had already happened and could not be changed. Cole's mission was just to gather intel that they could use in the future to try to make a cure. But in the show, Cole's mission is to try to change the past so the outbreak never happens. Plus in the movie, the Order of the 12 Monkeys turned out to be just some bullshit eco-terrorism group, whereas in the show they seem to be the real deal. I'm just trying to determine if knowledge of the movie has spoiled some things in the show that are going to be presented as twists, or if the show and the movie really do go in completely different directions.

- So far, I really could not give less of a poo poo about Deacon and his dumb group of marauders in the future. Really, anything in the future that's not Cole discussing his mission with the scientist lady is boring as gently caress. Does that get better, or is that just something to buckle down and endure for the length of the show? I already saw on IMDB that the guy that plays Deacon is in like 30-something episodes, so I hope it gets better.

- Tom Noonan is really good and creepy and I hope he sticks around as the main villain. I was initially disappointed at them for killing Zeljko Ivanek right away, but Tom Noonan really elevates the whole show around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I definitely have some premiumtvitis. But it's not really a matter of being all-in on the show vs it being not for me. Right now I'm watching it on the train during my commute. Jury's still out on whether it can make the jump from "ok to watch on the train" to "keep watching when I get home"

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Sumo posted:

I lost all interest in 12 Monkeys a few episodes into Season 3. I can’t really articulate why, but I’ve had zero motivation to continue it

Same thing happened to me with Orphan Black. Maybe I'll finish it someday.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Doc Antle definitely hosed one of those cats too. Him talking about his “special love” of the cats was some Troy McClure aquarium type poo poo.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Here's a silly question: Is there any kind of app or program that exists that will do real-time reaction tracking ala those "audience reaction meters" they used on CNN debates a few years ago? I'm using my quarantine time to finally start the grand project to find the rare good post-season-15 Simpsons episodes, and I'd like to be as scientific as possible about it.

As I've started the project, I've noticed there's a lot of subtle different ways that zombie Simpsons is bad. Sometimes there's actually a decent plot, but it's filled with dumb dud jokes that don't land. And sometimes there's a super dumb, rambling plot, but also a few good jokes along the way. More often than not, however, it's the double whammy of dumb, bad plot filled with dumb bad jokes.

Anyway, if I had the reaction-monitoring tool, I could also do other fun stuff like see which is the WORST episode, which is the worst season, etc etc etc

So, does the Ralph Wiggum Knob exist?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I finished For All Mankind last night and hot drat did that show ever pick up in the second half. If anyone gave up on it because they thought the first few episodes were too slow, I encourage them to go back and finish the season.

Anything else good to watch on Apple TV before my sub expires? I already watched For All Mankind, Morning Show, Dickinson, and Mythic Quest. The only other show I’m even remotely interest in is Servant - any good?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

The only other show I’m even remotely interest in is Servant - any good?

Answering my own question here, but I just powered through the first episode and my conclusion is: no, no it’s not. Then I went on Wikipedia and read the synopsis for the season. I feel good about my decision to skip it.

Was the second season of Counterpart good? Did it have a satisfying conclusion, or did it end on a cliffhanger? I liked the first season, and watching it now probably gives it an added sense of strangeness.

It’s either that or finally start The Expanse. I watched the first episode of The Expanse like a year ago but I don’t remember it at all, so I should probably watch it again.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Counterpart was great. Also yeah watch the expanse.

Is the Expanse ever fun? Or is it just like noir-y dramatic seriousness the whole time?

I’m finishing off Counterpart, I just finished Devs, and finished For All Mankind before that. Those were all good shows, but I wouldn’t exactly call any of them fun.

I’ve been cleansing the palate with random TNG episodes when I want something fun and not so serious to watch, but I’m coming to the end of my list of good TNG episodes.

What’s a good fun show to pick up?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Patriot? Killjoys? The Good Place?

Shageletic posted:

Better Off Ted

Santa Clarita Diet

Bobs burgers

GreenNight posted:

Also watch GLOW. It's fantastic.

MiddleOne posted:

I Am Not Okay With This

pentyne posted:

The Americans.

Top tier 80s aesthetic We are at War with Russia from the side of the Russian deep cover spies.

In order:

Patriot - I watched the first episode of this about a year ago. It seemed good, if a little slow. Maybe I’ll pick it back up.

Killjoys - Never heard of this show so I looked it up and it sounds like the most generic thing ever. Though, if people say it’s good maybe I’ll give it a shot.

The Good Place - Already seen all of this but this is a good suggestion, exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for.

Better Off Ted - Also great suggestion. Never seen this, but I love most Victor Fresco shows. Will probably watch this.

Santa Clarita Diet - Also great suggestion, but I’ve already seen the whole thing and loved it so much I protest-cancelled Netflix for 3 months when it was cancelled.

Bob’s Burgers - I’ve tried to get into this show three times now and every time I find it to be the most dull unfunny thing ever. I don’t get it.

GLOW - Seen it all, love it. Definitely the vibe I’m looking for.

I Am Not Okay With This - I’ve heard people on the forum talking about this show, but I have no clue what it’s about. I’ll look into it.

The Americans - I watched this show as it aired and it was fantastic, but I’d hardly call it a breezy, fun show?

Thanks for the recommendations!!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Oh wow, that's terrible. Also a chilling warning about what will happen to you if you marry Matt Zoller Seitz.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 28, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

This sounds fun, but

quote:

the 1969 “moon Western” that will play side-by-side with the chat window where Emily Marsh, Conor McGiffin, and Nate Begle will resume their roles as Emily Crenshaw, Tom Servo, and Crow T. Robot,

Who the hell are these people? Did the roadshow not have ANY of the people from the Netflix seasons?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I always thought Bosch was just a standard detective show where he's catching like murderers or serial killers or some poo poo but I just saw a trailer before Upload and apparently he's in a race against time to stop a dirty bomb from going off? Is he Jack Bauer now? Did the show change or was I wrong in my initial impression of it?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon has renewed Upload for another season.

Thank god. I hope they decide to just finish the plot and be done with it.

I may be a little salty from somehow having it in my brain that the first season was a "one-and-done" and then realizing when there were like ten minutes left in the finale "oh no, they aren't wrapping this up in ten minutes" and then seeing that it hadn't even been renewed for a second season

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just finished the third episode of Dark, and while I like it so far, I'm feeling overwhelmed by the number of characters to keep track of, and now I need to keep track of two different versions of each of them. It seems like the show knew this and that's why they gave us that little montage at the end of episode 3 showing the 1986 and 2019 versions of each character, but I only remembered who like half of them were.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Most of the Comedy Central episodes are decent, but the bad ones are REALLY bad. I remember That Darn Katz, Yo Leela Leela, and the Butterjunk Effect as stand-out really bad episodes. And somehow all the anthology type episodes in the revival were absolutely terrible. Wish they had just done more Tales of Interest.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 25, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
eyePhone episode good ok

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

It all sucks. The apple/twitter stuff is literally the same lazy jokes that people had been making for the past few years beforehand with no special Futurama “spirit” or whatever to them and then of course it just gets worse and worse

yeah but it gave us the wonderful meme "shut up and take m- ok I see what you're saying it's bad

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
By the time you get to the Beloved Aunt, you’ll either be in or out. Probably in.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I know a lot about tv production and finishing, but almost nothing about how animated tv shows are made, particularly ones from the 80’s and 90’s.

With that in mind, can someone explain why the remastered Batman The Animated Series looks amazing and the remastered Simpsons looks like upscaled garbage comparably?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Well, I would say the biggest reason is that they haven't remastered the Simpsons.

Well that’s kind of my question. It seems like for something as popular as the Simpsons, if it was possible to do, it would have been done already.

So is it a matter of Disney/Fox just being too cheap to do it? Or is it not possible like all the sitcoms in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s that were shot on video?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Will the Adventure Time special make sense if I never finished the show? I fell off probably about halfway through.

EDIT: Also, how much Lemongrab is in it

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

JOHN CENA posted:

CITIZENS OF THE TV/IV! I COME TO YOU WITH GREAT NEWS!

Your forums moderator, OldSenileGuy, has reached the Final Four of the Official 2020 Something Awful Hunger Games! They have fought a long hard road to get here, but now YOUR district, District 8: TV/IV & Cinema Discusso has representation here at the end! And it wasn't an easy path either. OldSenileGuy started out strong, but up until today, has been in a bit of a slump. However, now he is right at the doorstep of becoming not just your Tribute, but your CHAMPION. We will be crowning the winner tomorrow! Come cheer on and support your Tribute!

Come and cheer me on, citizens. I can only defeat the scourge of anime and books with YOUR support!

In the span of 10 minutes I've gone from not knowing that this was a thing, to wanting to win more than anything else in the world.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

quote:

The new version of the show, which originally aired from 1993 to 1997, will present the two teenage couch potatoes as Gen X parents raising their Gen Z children. Beavis and Butt-Head creator Mike Judge returns as writer, producer and voice actor for the series’ two leads.

Ugh, in addition to sounding terrible, this means that Beavis scored at some point. That's not supposed to happen.

Though it would be funny if both Beavis's and Butt-head's kids both looked like Butt-head.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I'm not sure where you pulled that quote from but I'm not seeing anyone else saying that which sounds like someone got their message wrong.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/beavis-and-butt-head-reimagining-comedy-central-1023097/

But you're right that that isn't mentioned in any other article, with some articles going a step further to specifically say there's no information yet on whether B&B will still be teenagers or have kids of their own, so hopefully it's wrong info.

EDIT: Also the B&B revival from '08 or whenever was actually really funny so I hope they're just doing that again.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What show is Doom Patrol comparable to, anyway? Everyone fawning over it makes me interested in checking it out, but I’ve never really clicked with any of the CW Arrowverse shows. Is it in that vein, or something different?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok I’ll give it a shot. You’ve sold me.

And I never watched Umbrella Academy either, but after seeing it described as “Wes Anderson’s X-Men” a few pages back my interest in that is piqued as well.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I really want Peacock to succeed because of its "Channels" feature. That's something I want all streaming services to have. Does anyone know if paying for Peacock Premium no-ads-tier also removes them from the channels? Because I seriously might do that. I've said for the longest time that I'd pay for a premium tier that removes ads on PlutoTV if it were available.

Of course, the real holy grail is Plex adding a feature that allows you to program your own "always-on" channels, but I've given up hope waiting for that.

EDIT: You know, I take back what I say about Plex channels being the holy grail. Yeah, it's great to make like a "Simpsons/Futurama" channel, but I can already basically do that with collections and playlists and shuffle. What Peacock/Pluto give me is the ability to have (theoretically) commercial-free channels for stuff I might want to put on in the background but would never have added to my Plex library, like old episodes of Hell's Kitchen, Unsolved Mysteries, the drone footage channel, or the game show channel on Pluto.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 15, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It does not, they are linear streams like cable TV channels, so the ads are baked in.

Ok well on the one hand that sucks because my dream of ad-free Pluto remains unrealized.

On the other hand, that's good because it won't have the issue Pluto always has where it cuts to commercial and then gets stuck on commercials and never goes back to the show until I change channels and change back. So yay? EDIT: Also it seems like on Peacock's channels they only do like :30 of commercials per break which is pretty great but I'm sure that will increase dramatically.

Still remains to be seen if it has the other problem Pluto has of showing the same commercial over and over and over and over and over and over an

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 16, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I watch alot of Rifftrax and MST3K channels on Pluto and I've never had the ad issue, but I've seen too many god drat Trump ads on the Rifftrax channel.

To be fair the ad-loop issue happened a lot more frequently before Pluto had it's redesign a few months ago, but I've still had it happen since then.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
On another topic, I started Doom Patrol on the thread's recommendation and it's pretty good. I'm enjoying it enough that even though I have HBO Max for free, I subbed to a month of DC Universe so I could watch DP in UHD HDR.

Am I crazy, or is the streaming quality of DC Universe pretty lovely when compared to the quality of HBO Max? Yeah, it's nice to have the show in HDR, but the bitrate seems a lot lower and everything looks kind of crappier? Is it a known-issue that DC Universe has bad streaming quality, or is this an abberation?

I really wish there was a well-updated site that compared bitrates and streaming quality of all the streaming services, but I haven't been able to find one.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Most of the 30 Rock special was garbo but kenneth doing an extended ad-read at the camera followed by his soul leaving his body got a genuine extended laugh from me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also Solar Opposites kinda sucks so maybe he needs Harmon to be good.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I just got into a heated discussion with my wife's coworker over if the MAX in HBOMax is taken from CineMAX or not and we ended up yelling at each other over video chat and the real take away here is I need to get onto first shift so I stop overhearing their weird conversations that I might have opinions about.

I hope you were on the "no it isn't" side?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Agreed, I meant to say Jennings makes the most sense but derailed myself. He also seems like someone who could settle into the role for a long long time. Plus, he's been doing Jeopardy as his "job" in a way for a long time already.

He also hasn't really mentioned or addressed it at all on his Twitter account. I would think that if he wasn't interested or being considered, he would have been more likely to joke about it on Twitter.

That, combined with him officially being crowned the GOAT at the beginning of this year, makes me think there might be something to that rumor/theory.

Which would be great, because KenJen is the best.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Why does it remove Riker's beard

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ok which one of you is this

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1285227505985695750?s=21

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Travelers was fun to watch but thinking about it or trying to make sense of it for even one minute after it was over is pointless because none of it made sense

I suppose the same can be said for a lot of time travel shows

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They're gonna call it The Eye or EyeTV or Eye+ or something like that

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Medullah posted:

Oh wow I loved those, never realized it was Mikey Day. Time to rewatch them all!

And the fancy waiter from Always Sunny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, Quibi has ads?!? Jfc how does it keep getting worse every time I hear more about it