Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Matt Berry (which everyone should be doing always) his latest British series, Year of the Rabbit, is airing on IFC starting tonight.

Matt Berry is a national treasure. One might ask "What nation?" but I assure you it is all nations. Matt Berry loves us all; regardless of creed, faith or citizenship. Well... except people from New South Wales as they can gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s one poster in the Modern Trek thread that I loving knew would continue to be an rear end because he’d done the exact same poo poo for years in the Discovery thread. And sure enough, there he is doing his exact same tired loving gimmick. Only now the thread is even worse than the other one because you have the added bonus of the “I want my beloved childhood hero to remain static and unchanging and gently caress anything that tries to challenge that character” crowd showing up.

So basically:

:negative:

Yeah I've avoided the Trek thread as I actually enjoy Picard and it made me go and watch all those Next Gen episodes from our childhood. Made me realize I like Star Trek even if the more modern Trek doesn't click with me. I don't feel like raging... I just watch the Orville for my happy Next Gen style adventures. I think that I would get called Hereticus Extremis Diabolis if I even tried saying that in the thread.

There are lots of cool goons watching the telly, mostly in the Magicians and Legends of Tomorrow thread, but they are there. All the traditional nerd threads like Star Wars and Star Trek are just better to skip.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Meg's my way through altered carbon season 1 but I'm actually really like season 2. Trying to figure out why it's so much better. Just the new cast? Maybe...

I feel like the story telling is more show and less tell

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hmm interesting. I pretty much hate watched season 1. I sorta found it to be overbearing and melodramatic sci fi cheese that was trying hard to a lot of things at once.

Season 2 on the other hand doubles down on the good parts

Fascinating. Not mocking in the slightest but you are the first person who I have heard express not only a preference for season two of Carbon over one but an overall fondness. Again not mocking but merely curious. Have you watched Picard or ST: Discovery? You should binge those shows and let us know your observations. Maybe make a thread and we can suggest shows. You seen Dexter? Game of Thrones? I’m really not mocking.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheAardvark posted:

Halfway through Evil. This show is so good :allears: it's like if USA had done a horror themed one along side all their other mid-2000s formula shows.

This reminded me of GvsE which I loved as a kid so.... started watching it. Six episodes in and really enjoying this more than I thought I would. Good recommendation. Really solid all around and the only gripe I have is I HATE when television shows build tension by just not having a character reveal an important fact/mcguffin.
example:
Character A <last episode gets necronomicon in a shady way>
Character B: Gosh I really wish we could get rid of these daemons
Character C: I heard we can... with the necronomicon
Character A: <Looks nervous and says nothing>
Character D: OMG this daemon is about to eat my face! Someone save me!
Character B: Omg how can we find this necronomicon?!? We must save Jorge!
Character C: I heard it's far away... in a land of...
Character D: Ow! My name....was....Jorge....
Character A: <looks nervously to a and b>

Repeat that for 10 episodes. Really bugs me. Good thing they killed one of those just this episode but I really hate that trope and wish people would never use it again.

zoux posted:

He's like, everyone's favorite actor. Quentin Tarantino expanded his role in Django because he liked him so much, and then he cast him as one of the leads in his next film. Boyd Crowder was supposed to die in the pilot, but Graham Yost was like, this dude playing this character is too good to kill off.

I don't know that I've ever seen him in a bad role or playing a bad character. He steals the show more often than any character actor I know of.
Yeah that dude has an insane charisma. Every time I see him in anything, I am dumbfounded by how entertaining he is. In that movie, every time he said Duh-Jang-Go made me giggle like a child and I have no idea why.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

Goggins also made Tomb Raider way more watchable than it had any right to be.

His motivation as an antagonist was that he was sick of working for the evil secret society and did not care about it or its cause at all anymore and just wants to get off the island and back to his family. Hes jaded and impatient instead of zealous and agressive, it was so interesting and he elevated it so much.

Dude played a racist rapist prisoner in Predators yet he was still loving entertaining. I swear.... its a super power

So...speaking of character actors... what ever happened to William H Macy?
Other guys not on your list (and half of these you will be like "oh THAT guy")
Charles S Dutton
Clifton Powell
Bill Duke
Ernie Hudson (Borderline? He did have Ghostbusters and Congo)
Frankie Faison
Courtney B Vance
Hell would CCH Pounder and Octavia Spencer count?

I would like to apologize to Evil by the way. I was bitching about a trope in Hollywood and they fixed it in the next episode. Shocked. Also episode 9. I went from laughing to quietly saying "oh gently caress". Quality recommendation. 10 episodes in and I am hooked. Thank you TVIV

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Uh, I thought everyone knew by episode 3 with the "yellow bastard" stuff and killing black people. I was surprised that she was literally a nazi that personally knew hitler and stuff

I might being overly generous but most of the "confusion" and "refusal" was just one chud goon playing puppetmaster. He was using every trick in the alt right troll book and it was obvious, but some of the more naive took him at face value and started second guessing themselves.... plus lots of phone posting/half watching. He did a decent job of trying to play dumb and backtrack but was foiled by the superior cunning of... people going back and reading his old posts. FOILED!

Oh my dread lord Cthulhu, can we resurrect the old thread? That thing was legend. GoT hate watching was NOTHING compared to Dexter and SoA. I am slightly confused as why they waited so long to do the mini sequel as there are loads of better shows around to resurrect and I'm not sure Dexter will be that shiny in this age of prestige tv. I'll gladly mock it with the rest of you goons but I just don't see most of humanity caring about more Dexter episodes. Please let this be an entertaining mess.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hah! I had forgotten these... I almost wish we had a best of thread that could tie in Lost, SoA and Dexter. There were so many good moments on those threads, even moreso as the shows declined. GoT thread was never half as good although I adored Wizard Master's post every episode.

Finished Evil the other day and really good recommendation. I really like the mix of supernatural creepiness and humour. The Leland going to his "therapist" scene had me almost choke with laughter. Ending of 9 made me laugh hard and then go "oh gently caress" chills. Another ep made me realize I have a phobia of hospitals. Definitely a early 00s throwback show with far better budget and I will back up the thread recommendation. Thanks yet again.

Bored and trapped streaming as Covid ramps up again so... started Almost Human. Well I say started but already on episode 10. How was this show cancelled? Excellent casting, good sfx, a bit police procedural with a nice sci fi hook. Really fun show that had some potential. Reminded me of a softer Judge Dredd with all the talk of over "Over the Wall" and them deliberately talking around the matter but obviously living in a Mega City. Anyone know if that is where it was headed? Why the gently caress was it cancelled?

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 15, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Criminally mishandled show. Is that streaming anywhere?

Should I also finally watch Dexter?

Amazon if you are UK. Buy over itunes if Canada.

Mu Zeta posted:

From what I remember the best part of Almost Human was the banter between the leads while they drive around to their next investigation. Everything else seemed like super generic cop show stuff or scifi AI stories we've seen a billion times already.

Banter is a big draw. Karl Urban is the reason I chose to give er a go and he's great. Funny thing is he actually uses the Billy Butcher voice going undercover in one episode. It was, on the surface, a cop procedural but then you you get insanely large amounts of tidbits in the background that are setting up a world that would have been fun. The bitcoin thing was bueno and I liked how they talked about it being THE anonymous currency used by many a shady dealing and a main component of the darknet. You had psyche (think Judge Dredd or telepaths and psychics but real) enhancing drugs, programs both overt and covert to genetically enhance humans, the silicon soul, nanotech, organ smuggling market because big corps make it hard for regular people to get replacement organs, skin harvesting people to create a better sexbots and more. My favourite bits were were the previous models of bots with the silicon soul became slightly problematic and were replaced with newer, cheaper models who were pure logic, talks about sending people to the cubes or the times it was referred to going beyond the wall with hints that it was a wasteland. Tons of little bits and pieces of world building that could have been awesome to explore in a few seasons. If you were a fan of Judge Dredd it felt fairly familiar. Very dystopian feel. Weirdly the surface cop procedural seems more like a way to make the show more accessible and deliberately done to coat the pill. Really was a punch to the nethers when I finished it. It was made around the same time as Utopia so that's two shows of that time that I'm really irritated we didn't get more of.

edit:

esperterra posted:

This is a really cool idea that I may try to do after I've finished my move at the end of the month and settled in. If anybody has any show threads they want me to try to dig up, or want to dig up or have already dug up themselves, shoot me a PM or smth!

Maybe I'll make a channel in the Discord to arrange such an endeavour. A TVIV best of sticky could be a lot of fun. I'll just make the OP Wizard Master's GoT post and a bunch of links.
Hah.... Wizard Master and the agriculture chat were the highlights of game of thrones. As far as the rest: SoA, Dexter and Lost were the main three but... I swear there was a couple more that came close. OH True Blood. That one had some moments.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 15, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

The world does need more Sookeh

Weirdly enough I sometimes joke with friends and use a (terrible) Southern American accent. The key phrase to start this? "As your maker I cammand Yeuuuu." I know one shouldn't imitate Vampire Bill's accent but c'mon.

As an aside I watched an entire awful show solely based on it being from the creator of True Blood. It was not the same kind of campy.

esperterra posted:

True Blood has such a great cast of characters to choose from for a revival too tbh, one done properly could be rad.

Sassy Pam and Jessica spinoff when
YES! Pam was so awesome and I

esperterra posted:

I feel like Alexander Skarsgard has probably had the busiest career since and I can't think of anybody else off the top of my head who has been in anything of note, other than DAW having had Daredevil before it was cancelled.

So you're prob right!

I know one minor character did the movie "Fury" and Jason was in Knights of Badassdom. Even Sookeh hasn't been in too much. Skarsgard and Lizzy Caplan are probably the most famous of all of them. Also the guy that played Russell Edgington, Dennis O Hare, has still found an insane amount of work but he's not doing leading roles. He is great in everything and, by gawd, he elevated that show single handedly for a bit.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

isaboo posted:

I'm sad any new TB won't have Lafayette, RIP Nelsan Ellis

Also the first (or first 2? I cant remember) seasons had the very cool and good Michael Raymond-James of Terriers fame

I only mention that so I can mention Terriers
Yeah I didn't want to mention him as it's just so loving sad and we were having fun reminiscing. He was great. He had some big times roles before he died but yeah.... I feel the same about him I do of his costar in Get on Up, Chadwick Boseman. They were sodding talented and should have been around longer. The little kids doing Black Panther funerals was really moving.

esperterra posted:

S2's biggest crime was ruining Tara as a character, and it is unfortunately a crime that echoed through til that character finally fuckin was allowed to kick the bucket.

Otherwise the Marianne stuff was great and owned imho. Plus S2 gave us Jason's whole plot with the Fellowship of the Sun and the blessed Louisiana Hot Sauce scene.

e: which reminds me, anna camp is also one of the more successful actors from the show

Never saw Gifted... never really gave it a chance. That was a period after Inhumans, Iron Fist and something else that just made me *nope* from tv superhero shows for a bit. Never realized Pam has been busy as well... good for her.

We made fun of Tara's sole character being "I tremble my lip" but that is all they gave her. There was a time True Blood was the campiest fun tv around. It wasn't Breaking Bad but it was just so enjoyable.

My fave Russell moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYPJHcw4t0
"Now time for the weather, Tiffany?"

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 15, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Just started watching Helstrom. Pretty mediocre. The writing, esp the dialogue, is wince inducing. Pilots are supposed to be polished to the nth degree. It feels like its a rough first draft.

I still want to see it but remember how I was talking about the good things about Almost Human? Some of those world building hints were in ep1. Every episode of that show gave you a little more and more about the world and had (me at least) intrigued. The last three episodes of AH took some of those seeds and gave us even more: rich people can live in genetically enhanced bodies that are beautiful and young for longer than most lives in beautiful well patrolled ivory towers while the poor huddle around trash cans and get a free "supplement" pill so they don't die and get tagged from early childhood for mental disorders and criminal personalities and can never get out of. Lifetimes of desperation and they are supposed to be thankful for the scraps. Really good foundation that could have been explored for years. Showed ambition and the procedural stuff felt like a coating to help the masses swallow the real pill. Not saying Helstrom couldn't be cool but I wish more shows did that.

Gaunab posted:

I checked out of Lucifer in the second season. I couldn't even hate watch it because it was so goddamn formulaic and repetitive.
Dunno if it helps but I barely made it through season 2 and noped out in 3 for the same reasons. I even got annoyed at the guy playing Lucifer as it just felt so hollywood. Then I started the Netflix seasons and there is something just ... better about it. Maybe it was just the time off but I've been enjoying the Netflix seasons. I would say give them a try and I never went back to season 3 as the latest seasons sum it up well enough.

Khanstant posted:

I didn't see the ending but I remember really liking this moment and wanting to see where it all goes. Though last stuff I remember before I quit watching was some weird poo poo with some idk horny sex demon lady and then some weird faerie realm poo poo. that actually sounds pretty dope now thatr I write it out but at the time I was very ??? about where anything was going.
It was a campy soap opera and revelled in every moment. The last couple of seasons weren't as good and the last season, especially, commited the worst crime of being boring. The ride until then is fabulous.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think I have ever met a single person IRL that cared about Willow. Was it huge in a specific age range that I’m just not in or something?
Probably. Heard a co-worker go on about how amazing it was and I watched it a few months ago and it was... ok. Don't think even little Dogs would have been nuts about it.

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't remember if I enjoyed Hook or not, I haven't seen it since I was 10

It was on repeat on the telly when I was a kid now and then so I liked it. I was younger than 10 but I remember loving Rufio. "Rufio! Rufio! Ru-Fi-Ooooooooo!"
I remember nothing outside of that. Now if you mofos talk smack about Batman Beyond or Reboot then know IT IS ON!!! I hated most of the usual late 90s and early 00s kid fare. My dad and I watching Robocop, Aliens, Action Jackson or Predator became more of my usual childhood live action movies than anything. Still love watching Carl Weathers in anything. Sad the guy playing Sgt Apone didn't do more. The power of a nice moustache.

oh and Blade. Loved the gently caress out of Blade.
"Some motherfuckers always trying to skate uphill."

edit:
the greatest Wesley Snipes line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awcx-gTQDLM

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 20, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

same tbh. I always struggle to think of what the gently caress to watch with my nieces and nephews when I'm hanging out with them, if only because the media landscape for kids is so different from the way it was when I grew up. Gone are the days of kids shows and movies taking them seriously as people and allowing them to be loving scared sometimes and feel other emotions.

My sister is pretty lenient in what she lets them watch, but it's still tough deciding if something I saw when I was a kid might be a bit too intense for what they're used to seeing on TV or in movies marketed toward them lately.

Me too. I just used to watch whatever the adults did except for after school toons. I built up a tolerance fairly quick. Only movie I remember freaking me out a little was Hellraiser 2 at like 12. Event Horizon didn't even freak me out that bad. Most kids now aren't like that. I was shocked when a mates 5 year old was around and watching his usual kiddie stuff. I would have found it boring as gently caress at my age but I know the kid would have nightmares for ages if he watched anything else. He will probably grow up far more sane and probably cure cancer or build colonies on Io.

Speaking of generational things: I have no idea how kids from the late 60s and early 70s came out even semi normal. I've seen HR Puffenstuff and that other stuff and ... it's made for people on drugs. No idea how anyone sober could watch that. Hell.... even watching it makes me want to get high. The themes from The Banana Splits and Space 1999 are banging tho.

edit:
I don't know why I love this old groovy intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 20, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Aren't most people from B5 dead at this point?
A good portion yeah. Still with you guys on someone rich decide its awesome and free it up for more to see.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mr Show’s Sketch about this was excellent.

https://youtu.be/FHqcNj0Pv6c

Makes you realize why so many of that generation grew up to make things like the Venture Brothers and Mr Show. Drugs man....drugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjmSYDq7es

GreenNight posted:

Don't watch Monster Squad unless you want a bunch of kids calling each other human being for months on end. I did not remember that from when I was a kid.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember watching the film as a kid and the main takeaway was how bad an idea it was asking 'what do those numbers on that mans arm mean?'.
Watched that not long ago and it's fairly decent. The "f and I don't mean gently caress" bombs are a plenty and are a hard reminder of how things used to be. How normalized some things were. Wasn't born when that was made but they toss it around in a kids movie like it was nothing because, back then, it was nothing. Just like it was on this site a decade ago. Reminds me how I read they just now pulled the blatantly racist spokesperson for Aunt Jemima syrup and Uncle Bens rice. Monster Squad makers weren't being hateful... that is just how things were and what kids said. That poo poo can be ingrained and it's so insidious. All that said, aside from the f bombs, it's a fairly cute movie.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basically, gently caress South Park for trying to continue that poo poo “ironically” and gently caress that guy in particular.
Totally with you on the bloke you knew but... one of the SP creators is Jewish and some of that came from him dealing with it. Making jokes about how some hillbilly thinks "x" is a good way to take out some of the sting. Mel Brooks used to do it a ton and he fought nazis (gently caress you phone - I will not capitalize nazis). As an aside, it's not very enlightened or kind, but it is hilarious to make white people squirm when they dance around prejudice; especially when you are mixed race and they are confused about your origin. A comedian made a routine about "No, where are you from?" I do wish Southpark handled stuff differently sometimes and was less "middle" but that is their path. So yeah gently caress that bloke but people should be able to make jokes about them dealing with prejudice. It really does help.

STAC Goat posted:

I just watched the Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street documentary and at one point they do a montage of how prevalent that slur was in media in the 80s and 90s and it was like this brutal direct shot at all of my nostalgic favorites. Its at a point where I'm scared to revisit something I liked before 2005 or so for fear that they'll just start screaming slurs the whole time.

Except Willow. Willow is clear.
I still want media to stay unchanged. In some cases as it's a product of their time and we should see it, warts and all. Other times I feel a bit like that bit from Inglorious Basterds: you don't get to take off that uniform. I've always been against rewriting or covering up history. That's how things like Tulsa massacre got forgotten for decades. That's how the "daughters of the confederacy" and the kkk (gently caress you phone I am not capitalizing those fuckos) got away with statues in America for a century or close to. Funny enough: I was talking to someone from the southern US who brought up their textbooks that gloss over a ton of the negative racist stuff was funded and written by those same daughters of the confederacy and their buddies. My friend was always griping about that. One of the big reasons I want movies and books written to stay unchanged. The only thing that sucks about that is that kind of requires that if you have kids and want to watch it with them, you got to have a conversation with them and they be old enough to understand. Conversations that got to happen anyway as once they play any online game they will hear words. I still do every time I go online. Well that and some baby screaming in the background while someone forgot to mute their mic.

LionArcher posted:

set it later on the timeline. New cast. Just same universe. Basically in sci-fi very few villains have had as cool design as the Shadows, and I want more of that sort of thing.

Never seen Legend of the Rangers but I thought that was a sound concept. Just no prequels. I am so sick of hearing the term prequel and don't even care if they do a good job of it. Forward momentum is always good as are taking chances.... just not this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4l2fzK7aXc

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, but the media at large had this strange awe and respect for Stewart that I believe would have shamed them into not giving Trump a billion dollars of free ads.
:shrug:

I will back that up. Stewart would have made him such a joke that he never would have gained the momentum he has now. Boris would never made it either consequently. I yearn for that other, better world. I miss the dude as I am of that generation that, for better or worse, got most of my news from him.

On another note: I’m actually going to watch the X-Files for the first time ever. Hope I don’t get 90s overdose as I quarantine.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

It’s not nice to Doxx my actual reaction but... I’m okay with this.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Look at all the rubes who think we'll know what happens before January 20th, 2021... :laugh:

It will all end in fire. From the ashes will arise the God Emperor. He will carry mankind to the stars and beyond. His first words to us will be “I want to eat ATJ’s eyeballs.”

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

People wanting that hot eyeball eating action will have to wait until next year when Netflix releases their Sandman adaptation. They've already said that they're doing the story arc that involves the Corinthian (a nightmare that eats eyes with his mouth-eyes.)

Wait...really? Aww happy news. Was hoping a bit they would just do the arcs in order. The whole diner scene with Dr Destiny could be an easy way to grab people's attention.

Also you guys in TVIV kept talking up Psych so it became a "watch a few random episodes now and then when I need some happy chill." As time crept on I kept watching more and more. I'm on season 5 now and just finished the twin peaks episode. TVIV scores yet again. Why do I love this show so much now? Thanks for the recommendation.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don't know if they show up wherever you're watching it but after the series is over there are two Psych movies.

Sadly for UK and Canada this show is not nearly so easy to stream free. Effin Peacock can swivel.

pentyne posted:

I've seen a ton of those USA/TNT shows growing up and Psych is by far the best of the bunch. It's honestly too good for what it was and not only was the writing good the cast chemistry was incredible.

Comparing it to Chuck, which was a network show on around the same time, if you put them side by side the vast majority of people would think Pysch was the major network primetime show and Chuck was the basic cable show.

It really is just a nice happy streaming time in these days of bleh. It is fairly top notch fun right from the start but I'd say season three is where I fell in love with it. Cast, writing and just overall a good time. Not brilliant serious prestige television but it makes you smile and chuckle yet somehow still manages to avoid the typical tv tropes. Also everyone is genuinely charming and hardly anyone truly sucks. Really enjoyable recommendation that is a bright spot and I also encourage anyone curious to give er a go. Also love the occasional remix of the theme song. Thanks again Goons.

Another thing I am going to stream soon is 90's show Tropical Heat. Never bloody binged so much television in my life.... thanks COVID?

edit:

TheAardvark posted:

my work will not be done until literally every person on the forums has watched Psych.
Yeah you were one of those that kept talking about it... and thank you. Glad you did.

edit: just reached the "Its a Wonderful Life" episode and jesus the super Lassiter Chief of Police is hilarious.
"Why does she have a fake german accent?"
"You watched Austin Powers last night and have a thing for Frau Farbissina and NOW SO DO I!"

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 3, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

A bunch of businesses here are boarding up in case of riots. Gonna be an interesting week.

I wondered if that was true. Where are you located? Man... I’d forgotten it was Election Day for the US for a second. Good luck US goons. Watch some Psych while you got power and hopefully things won’t go that poorly.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I love Somebody Feed Phil. He's a real mensch -- a genuinely good, kind, caring, funny, corny guy without a trace of cynicism. He loves food, people, and new experiences, and sharing all of that. A few people have told me he reminds them of me, because I'm also a Jewish guy who makes puns and self-deprecating jokes, and I write a local food blog. I take it as a huge compliment.

nate fisher posted:

You should take that way. Just don’t wear black shoes with black socks with shorts please.

I knew black shoes+white socks were the way to go. White shoes and black socks ok?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Speaking of which, apparently some news channel has decided we're burning rubble again. Had two old friends contact me yesterday asking if I was all right, had any "message I wanted to send to the people watching".

Still haven't been able to figure out what the Hell's supposed to have just happened.

You can probably guess the answer. International news on Portland was big a while ago but has quieted down. On the BBC or Al Jazeera I remember the last bit was your Pres saying he's going to not give money to anarchist havens like New York or Portland. But I have a family friend living in America and they watch Fox News. From a couple of days ago she mentioned they still have lots of stories about Oregon being a battleground between armed untermensch anarchists with dark skinned thugs versus the noble troops Herr Trump sent in. Apparently it is portrayed as both out of control and scary but luckily Trump still has it all in hand. Doesn't really make sense but seems to be about the normal. Looking it up online confirms her hysteria (In case you are wondering why I talk to that lady...I'm in lockdown and really effin bored. ). Per Fox News site: you guys keep hurting poor white business owners and burning the city. So yeah.... American press is labelling all you guys as terrorists and anarchists and Portland as a "War Zone!!!!" Side note: I really wish people who have never seen or lived in a war zone stop using that term. Just any other term. Anyhoo, yeah turrists. Sorry man

Edit: another reason I like talking to this lady is reminding her that neither she or I are white. Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 6, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

gently caress yeah.

So I just watched "Wayne". Holy gently caress I love this show and they must make more. You guys were right yet again. Now I want to find this crazy kid I knew from back in the day who also saved my rear end.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The worst recently was definitely in Close Enough when, in the nightclub episode, the lovely too old to be out guy was younger than me.

I'm only a couple of year younger than that grandpa (1984 was the old dude's year of birth for those who hadn't seen) and yes... sometimes I get sleepy at 9:30. I still miss wearing wallet chains.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Wayne isn’t on Prime in the UK :(

Wait... I just binged it last weekend and I’m Prime UK... unless somehow I got a really fortunate glitch. If so I’m mad it made me pay top sterling for Psyche.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

If only she’d been a Nazi so Bioshuffle would have thought she was a super nuanced and complex character

Hey! Do we REALLY know she was an actual nazi? I mean... maybe she was just a gaslighting troll? Lots of people just rush to judgement. Let’s wait and see what the writers have coming. I think you guys are just jumping on an example of a strong beautiful woman. <sees her cast racial slurs, kill non whites, call non whites garbage, invoke “white genocide” and “for our people”, shows picture of her partying with loving ACTUAL NAZIS from WW2> Okay guys maybe she might be bad but she’s still hot right? She makes some good points too if you can #justaskquestions

For my next performance I will imitate former goon Microwave: STOP POSTING PICS OF MY MOM! For the love of god <cries>

Simone Magus posted:

The British version of utopia is a lot better than the US one huh

Heh. I normally am reluctant to say watch an online review and go with that but the Utopia thread has one you should watch and just... go with that. It’s not even good for hate watching. Just bland and by the numbers Hollywood remake. I will say it exposed me to Chelsea Wolfe’s song “Survive” and I have enjoyed that far more than I thought.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 12, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

YoutubeTV cancelled Tennis Channel and only gave users 3 hours notice. All recorded content was also removed. Rumors are Sinclair, which owns Tennis Channel and the Fox Sports networks, is going to launch their own streaming service next year.

Considering live news and sports are the main reasons why people subscribe to streaming packages, I feel like the TV landscape is just going to get worse.

I know a ton of people have said it but "Man it's a shame I can just pay a monthly fee and get a large group of channels straight to my tv as opposed to the ala carte paying a million people for a million channels". Now queue the response.

It was so dedicated to the idea of short form content that even the service was over quickly.
Chairman of Roffle Mao

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Wanted another season of Hannibal? Too bad because we are getting Clarice instead. And it's on CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdyjypTSKNs

Timby posted:

Everything about it sounds very stupid. It's set a year after Silence of the Lambs, in 1993, but they can't legally do anything with Hannibal Lecter, which is all anyone really cares about. So instead it's just going to be another generic CBS FBI procedural.

esperterra posted:

lmao so it's set between Silence and Hannibal? ehh makes sense I guess. Can't do an origin story since she wasn't finished her training in Silence anyway, so no FBI hook if it were a prequel.

Still lame tho. Forever chaffed Fuller only had the rights to everything but Silence.

I wonder how much awesome entertainment we would get if it wasn't for producers/production companies and their lawyers constantly engaging in combat over rights? You want "X" well you can have "g" or "y" because we might make a show. <Years later> oh bollocks- we are about to lose the rights so let's poop out some half arsed effort. <It bombs> "Welp I guess nobody is interested in Hannibal or intense crime dramas. Let's make another police procedural, medical or reality show!"

We still get good stuff I know but when that pattern keeps repeating itself then I get a bit sad. I wanted season 3 of Utopia.

Timby posted:

Yeah, the logline says that Starling is now a field agent chasing sexual predators and serial killers while dealing with Washington politics.

So it's going to be, what, Clarice Starling: SVU? :lol:
I swear this was a joke in a cartoon or movie somewhere...<hollywood trailer voice> "She fought serial killers and now she's gotta fight... being a working mom in man's world. Clarice Starling goes to Washington this fall on Fox!"

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 9, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

I really enjoyed the first few seasons of True Blood but I don't have high hopes for this.

RIP Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette)

I swear he was the main character that got me into the show. I don't see anyone doing as even half as good with that character moreso so good they keep the character around long past his book death date. Not sure about a reboot as I'm not sure any new show can quite capture the delightful camp of the original. You definitely need a lead doing a southern accent so terrible that every culture and person around the world can recognize its both hilarious and a terrible representation of southern American person. That said it has to be so endearing that you can't help but say "Sookeeh Stackhouse, as your maker I command yeeeeew!" (Yes I know she wasn't a vamp but I still say this from time to time). You will also need a Viking that is somehow both astonishingly pretty and menacing, his sarcastic MILF mate and as much reason to let Denis O'Hare ham it up as much as he possibly can.

As far as OG show quality.... it dipped hard in the last season but really... if Russell Edgington is in it then you know you got some quality coming no matter how dark. Also just now remembered Detective Douche from Lucifer was in that. I will say I am more hyped for new Tru Blood than Clarice Starling Goes to Washington. Unless Clarice has a super 80's sitcom intro.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

oh but seriously I posted:

I only watched the last season of American Horror Story as Netflix defaults to playing them in reverse order so I was initially confused by the actors getting recast as different characters. Lost interest in season 7 as it wasn't as batshit insane. Ratchet is only not the same show for IP reasons, morally its the same show.

AHS:1984 has more batshit insanity and is a great love letter to the 80’s. Dunno if that is on Netflix but really fun watch. I still have a fondness for Apocalypse far greater than most. Not sure why. Probably SATAN!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

The Stand was probably the first post-apocalyptic novel I ever read and the complete destruction of society and the survivors wandering the now empty and desolate world was absolutely captivating to me as an adolescent. The woo-New Age Kansas cornfield stuff less so

I'm fairly sure most of us borrowed a paperback version of the Stand from a relative one boring weekend and it blew our kid minds. That book has been translated in almost every language so I'm sure it's almost a worldwide thing to read that and be instantly captivated ... except Russia where they read it and go... "So it is like backyard. Still no potato. Such is life."

Yeah the opening is so iconic and really strong. The whole road trip through the ruins of the world was the absolute strongest part of the book and tv mini and I have yet to find a person that felt otherwise. It was THE hook. Also helped introduce and spotlight certain characters before dumping them in a larger cast. Like that review said: they are shooting themselves in the foot trying to make it "different" as now you have a bunch of randos you are told you should care about instead of letting you care about them organically. Just weird and I can't imagine anyone outside of the GoT guys thinking it was a good decision. Had to have been a producer mandate as a reaction to a real life lame version of Captain Trips. Worried we millenials and younger will freak out watching a show about a plague and threaten to cancel the network. Just can't imagine any halfway decent creative team choosing to do this aside from D&D. I just hope they have someone sing "Baby Can you Dig your Man?" at some point as I've had that song stuck in my head all year.

edit: To clarify I do not think D&D are behind this... but it takes an amazing combo of dense and hubris to gently caress up such an easy pitch as the intro to the Stand. Like Scott Buck or D&D. That said my bet is still on some producer mandate saying "OH GOD THE OVERLY SENSITIVE YOUTH WILL FREAK OUT IF WE SHOW THE PLAGUE - QUICK CHANGE THE OPENING!"

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 15, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kinda wanted to wait until the whole season had dropped, but I couldn’t help myself and watched the three available Expanse season 5 episodes. Bobbie’s still the best character, Amos’ episode was great, Holden still can’t emote, and it’s infuriating that Cas Anvar turned out to be a creep because Alex is still charming as hell and I really dig his dynamic with Bobbie.

How old is Naomi supposed to be? Filip is clearly late teens/early 20s. Dominique Tipper is in her early 30s, maybe playing Naomi a bit older, so she’d have been a teen when Filip was born?

I've been wondering that as a non book reader now that someone mentioned Amos was supposed to be far older in the Expanse thread. Bloody good show so far and I'm hooked.

On Cas Anvar? Was it confirmed he was a creep? I remember hearing about it at the start and he had some people defending him and ... I really don't want it to be true. I'm just tired of people being awful. 2020 the year is like sitting next to a college freshman straight edge nihilist who really likes to read his poetry aloud when he isn't bringing out his guitar/bongo drums. Also he likes to give people massages while talking about his philosophy.

bowmore posted:

Summary of previous seasons
I know you didn't write it for me but thank you for this.

Also thank you goons that recommended Wynonna Earp. Fun show and now I want more. Took to calling it Letterkenny Buffy even BEFORE the Ms Katie cameo. Really fun show.

Also started Van Helsing and liking that in spite of some really annoying tv tropes and flaws. Hoping season 1 finishes well and it doesn't get worse as I could see it going either way. How's Locke and Key? Now stuck indoors yet again and starting to feel like that guy in the one Korean horror flick stuck inside his apartment. I wish I had bought a drone. Covid needs to gently caress right off.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

None of his castmates have come to his defense (haven't commented at all on it) and he's off the show for Season 6.

So, evidently, they found enough to kick him off the show.

On a similar note, what's really been cringeworthy is working through the most season of "The Flash" due to what came out about Hartley Sawyer. So many of the Ralph subplots involve him being a "people person" and "love life coach" which is just blech.

<Sigh> He has some nice buddy chemistry with Bobbie. Dammit Cas. As long as Bobbie, Drummer, Averserala and Amos don't end up making accounts on parler and saying "hitler had some good ideas" then I can live with it. Frankie Adams could totally take Gina Carano in a fight and I don't care what anyone says. Sam Neil and Sir Anthony better stay being cool grandpas tho.

Rhyno posted:

Van Helsing is a lot of fun and it's the Canadian regulars bus station show.
Only on season 1 but I can see that easy. Still like the show but... it is keeps riding that fine line so far. There was a fight scene as they retake a base that was bloody brutal. Surprising for a Syfy show.

This needs to be 90% Nick Cage screaming and/or talking eloquently about swear words and I am in. I have an affection for that living meme in human form.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

They could just re-cast the Alex character with a new actor. Like Taika Waititi.

You joke but I could see him killing in that role. They do need a Martian to represent on the Rocinate... if only we knew a Martian who was lost yet still have some loyalty to Mars. I really just want Bobbie to not die and be on my telly.

Side note: Amos play flirting with Averserala felt respectful but genuine and surprisingly not skeevy... unless you think too long about his “mother” on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I love you! Bizarro!