Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rocksicles posted:

So HBO's The Outsider is all kinds of dark and grippy.

Our fav coke fueled writer agrees
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1216771105471520768

Just watched both of these last night and enjoyed them quite a bit. I had no idea it was a Stephen King thing, but I'm really digging where this might go now that I do.

Rocksicles posted:

I don't know what that means

Contrast and brightness -4, blue hue +2.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Just having those GoT names attached to it should have gotten it axed before they even asked what it was about.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I am really really REALLY enjoying The Outsider. It's coming off like True Detective season 1 but it's actually going there!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was all excited they made a Cobra tv series and was hoping Stallone would be walkin' around kicking everyones rear end again, but it appears to be bullshit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Haven't seen anything about Disney+ subscriber counts since Mando finished. I canceled mine pretty much immediately. But I've also decided going forward that I'm kinda fed up with all these services and I'll wait till a series ends, pay a month to binge, then cancel and rotate through them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Episode 4 of The Outsider aired tonight.

This show is so dark and just oozing foreboding evil. Even when two people having a casual happy drink together it's just total and complete dread. This is like someone harnessed Lost Highway into a drug and they're mainlining it till they die.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

So much mood, though the long camera shots or angles centered off the action can be a bit extra. I know it's in service of creating a feeling of unease and tension but once you start to notice them, well me anyway, you start to think about how and why they shot it this way and it can be distracting.

Still great show

Yah, this is mainly why I think whoever is shooting this was a fan of Lost Highway, and I guess to some extent Inland Empire as well. These kinds of low long shots of just rumbling bass and dark single color lighting is what made those movies pretty special from an artsy standpoint. They're fun to simply look at and provide that extra mood for the story. I happen to love that kind of stuff so much.

We're finally getting somewhere with what is causing the murders now, and it is a Stephen King story so it'll be interesting to see where this ends up. He's been all over the board with aliens, straight-up supernatural spirits, unexplainable monsters, old ones, gods, and just crazy-rear end people. Just hope it isn't stupid - so far I think whoever is translating this might be able to take a stupid and make it into something appropriate.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I wish I hadn't seen it.

Same.

I've never seen any MI movies, either. It's weird coz I've seen all the actiony packed super movies that this falls into. I honestly don't know anyone who has seen 'em either.

Did anyone actually see them? Was it just a contract they had to make them funded by the church?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 27, 2020