Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
My god Sex Education is so drat good. Why everyone is raving about it I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ignis posted:

You just answer your own question! :haw: Sorry couldn't resist

Asa Butterfield is the best the Smash community has to offer. Kid can act, goddamn.

Ncuti Gatwa consistently gives amazing performances in a show full of amazing actors. How he hasn’t been given a big role in something yet is beyond me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Croatoan posted:

So I only watched the pilot just now but the show Everything's Gonna Be OK seems pretty good. It's on Hulu from freeform so expect it to be at least a little sappy. But it's good! It did not suffer from pilotitis imo.

I watched the 3 episodes on Hulu yesterday and I was pretty impressed. The writing on the third episode took a dramatic improvement which hopefully means it will keep getting better.

I also started Daybreak finally yesterday. I am almost done but man what an inconsistent show. There are incredible high points and someone in that writing room was way, way better than everyone else and it showed. I am not a fan of a lot of the choices made seemingly at random at the end of the season but plot changes done with no foreshadowing or really any logic behind them happened throughout the show. It's a shame because the base concept and material is strong and the cast was talented.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Julius CSAR posted:

There was a clip on Hulu of a girl in the show going on about getting “white girl drunk” and it probably lasted less than two minutes but it felt like forever.

The show itself is pretty good. That clip outside of context is annoying though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah it seems incredibly fine, if maybe a bit contrived (it is on FreeForm which is kind of their thing) but why they would choose to use that clip, and on Hulu where the ad is just the same clip every commercial break seems like a terrible idea.

That and the butthole in the mirror thing was on the tv commercial so I imagine they are just reusing that?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I finally got around to watching Alone Together last night. Holy gently caress how did I miss this and how was it not a big hit?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DC Murderverse posted:

Ronda Rousey gave one of the single worst voice-acting performances I've ever encountered in my entire life (in an otherwise wonderful Mortal Kombat story), anyone who hires to her act beyond what the WWE makes her do is an idiot, full stop end of discussion

The first time I saw Ronda at all in the Expendables 3, which I thought she was really good. But man everything she has been in since has been god awful.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
These streaming services are going to live and die by the new content they are able to make. Netflix figured that out awhile ago and has a constant feed of new original content every month. Amazon has a few super buzz worthy things that come out rarely but Prime is propped up by the shopping as someone else said. I feel like Prime Video is more of a perk for the Prime service than a serious streaming competitor. Bezos gets to win some awards for his shows without massive investment or it being a main concern.

Disney+ came out with probably the most important back catalog in all of major media and the Mandalorian was incredible but there is basically nothing new coming for months it seems. While they can get by for a few months with the whole "plop the kids in front of cartoons/marvel/star wars" at a certain point people will look at it as a expendable service. Once the Marvel shows start hitting you will likely see a big bump but they need to start getting more original content on there as well.

Apple TV+ I don't even understand what market they are even going for. I figured they would be going after a more highbrow HBO like audience but instead it seems like a lot of watered down sub-network quality programing that they spent way too much on. None of the content they have produced seems at all good or interesting. I don't believe they have any back catalog content. The price is highly concerning as well. I can completely see Apple pulling the plug on this in a year or so.

With all the other players joining in the coming months we will see a lot of these services die within a year. The players left standing will be Netflix, Disney+ and HBO+ along with Amazon still doing what they are doing. Most of the players left at the wayside will go crawling back to Netflix for their back content.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I could see Apple roll together a service that gives Apple TV+, Apple Music (which is another service that isn't setting the world on fire), iCloud storage along with some other perk for like 10-13 bucks a month. It at least makes more sense than the model they are using right now.

Disney is playing it right with the pricing on Disney+. Yeah, they could charge more and perhaps they should but especially since they are looked at as a 2nd tier streaming service right now it would be not in their best interest. 7 bucks a month is a perfect amount for most people to justify. I think in the future they are going to push the trio of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ for the higher price. They can keep Disney+ as a loss leader to get people to get the other two.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

I mean, they already have a Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ package.

Yes they do. I was meaning increasing the price of that slightly to make up margins and pushing that instead of the stand alone service.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

I’m finally getting around to watching Parks and Rec.

Boy season 7 loving sucks.

It has it's moments unlike season 1. Season 1 is so bad that I watched the first couple of episodes when it was new and didn't give it a try for years afterward since I couldn't believe that it got any better.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

Season 1 is something I can forgive because they were feeling themselves out.

Season 6 was great and could have ended the series. I’m only four episodes in, but Season 7 loving sucks and ruins all the characters.

My Parks and Rec season ranking:

5 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 7

It gets better if you are only 4 episodes in. Wait until you get to the mayor stuff.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think I've seen a single one of those films.

The same. I have just never had an interest in them. I am also like the only person who has never seen Avatar. It always blows people's minds when they find that out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
You can get Lays Ketchup chips in the US sometimes. All Dressed Ruffles seem to be here to stay finally.

The BEST Ketchup chip is Old Dutch, in the box. I can't stress the importance of being in the box enough. They are so loving good. I have a buddy that sends me a giant box of them every so often. Even people that are skeptical of them even up falling in love with them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Bring back 3D Doritos, end our national nightmare once and for all, Frito-Lay!

Naw, Pizza, Taco Bell Taco Supreme and BBQ Doritos. I'd be a happy man.

Actually what I REALLY want is Pizzarias again. They were the GREATEST chips. I feel bad for all the people under the age of like 30 that never got to try them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

We gots dem BBQ Dewritos in Canadia.

I wonder if they are the same as they had in the States in the 90s.

I really miss the Taco Supreme Doritos. They were so much better than the old/current Taco flavor. They also went amazing with guacamole.

The summer of 96, after I injured my knee I was basically nearly bed ridden for weeks. I did nothing but stay up almost all night listening to the radio, playing Mario RPG, eating Taco Supreme Doritos with guac and drinking what was likely the last Coke II in existence. Some of the best memories of my life.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
There are Taco Bell Fire Sauce chips out right now that are excellent. The only issue is they are expensive. 5 bucks for a bag compared to 3ish for a bigger bag of Doritos.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

pahuyuth posted:

Also started Schitt's Creek and I can't believe I didn't sooner. I mean, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are enough of a reason to watch but for some reason I thought the premise was completely different and never bothered to check it out. Once I saw Chris motherfuckin' Elliot and then Emily Hampshire I was sold. The kids are fantastically obnoxious. This one is gonna be real fun isn't it?

Schitt's Creek has been one of the best shows on television for the last several years. I am surprised it never got more exposure until now.

As for good comedies of the last several years...

Sex Education is amazing. The premise is life of a British teenager who's mother is a sex therapist. Asa Butterfield puts on a masterful performance and it may be one of Gillian Anderson's best roles of her career. And how Ncuti Gatwa is not the next big thing already I have no idea.

I will second You're the Worst. It follows the lives of Jimmy and Gretchen along with their respective friends Edgar and Lindsey. What seems to start as a counterculture romcom quickly morphs into some of the deepest and realistic writing of many serious subjects ever done on television. It was criminally underrated when it was on. I would venture to say one of, if not the best written series of the last decade. The leads absolutely kill with the material and the secondary characters are so good you wish there was spin offs that explore their lives more. It also had what is one of the best and most satisfying finales ever. If there is one show I ever want people to watch it is generally this.

If you are ok with animation the Venture Bros always consistently knock it out of the park as well. What started off as a parody of Johnny Quest and the Hardy Bros quickly changes in to one of the deepest worlds and incredibly intricate, hilarious writing. If you grew up in the 70/80s you will catch a ton of obscure pop culture references as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

Go On was a wonderful show. Matthew Perry was so good in that.

Did anyone ever watch Mr. Sunshine staring Matthew Perry and Allison Janney? The writing and performances on that was so drat good. It's a shame it got canceled after a season.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Oh man the Mick was pretty good too. I was surprised that got canceled.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Arist posted:

Speed Racer is great.

I watched this recently for the first time after avoiding it when it first came out. It is pretty good. Visually it is incredible and really does the source material justice. Now the source is 60 years old so there is that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Sad News here.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/fred-silverman-dies-legendary-tv-executive-producer-was-82-1202847035/

Fred Silverman for those who don't know is one of the most influential TV producers and execs of all time. Pretty much every iconic television show from the mid 70s through the early 90s had his fingerprints. And for those of a certain age in Chicago, Zim-Bomba, Bozo’s Circus and Family Classics for WGN.

He was a absolute legend in the industry and they do not make them like him anymore.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

The curse of being a Canadian show. It's loving everywhere here. But I think airs in America on some weird network I've never even heard of.

Yeah it is on Pop. I read a interview with the Levys where they said that at one point it was going to be on ABC in the US but they wanted to make changes and take control. I am very glad they didn’t make that choice.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

It's a goddamn travesty that Catherine O'Hara doesn't have approx 1 million awards for Schitt's Creek.

I watched this week's episode a little bit ago. The accent she uses and how she will do little hilarious things while speaking cracks me up. The cold open this week had me rolling. I don't think the role would have worked without Catherine O'Hara.

I do wish I could have seen what Abby Elliott would have done as Alexis. She is criminally underrated and has never had that breakout role.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen the last couple of films but I don't even really understand what the Fast and Furious movies are about anymore. Like the first couple of ones were about undercover cops who had to pose as drag racers and getaway drivers but I think the last one I saw they were like international bank robbers being blackmailed by Jason Statham who had faked some of their deaths and The Rock was Interpol or something chasing them down? Or something? And now the two of them are teaming up in a spinoff to fight a super powered Idris Elba? And are they like international spies or secret agents now or something? Is all of this because Dom liked to race cars and had questionable morals?

I said I was watching the Mission Impossible films because by serendipity I noticed they were all streaming on services I had. This piqued my curiosity and turns out all the F&F movies are too. I actually started up the first one and its so aggressively loud. I haven't finished the MI ones yet but I guess I'm just picking really dumb and loud action franchises to watch in the background.

I'm trying not to look at that Transformers set someone gifted me a few years ago.

I was talking about this very subject earlier. Like I saw the first two when they came out and I saw 8. I keep meaning to watch the ones in the middle but I watched the first, couldn't get over how goofy and dated it was. I haven't been able to watch the rest. But I have no idea how they made it so they went from street car racers/thieves to loving special agents that know kung fu and poo poo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Lovecraft County is kind of what I have always wanted. Big budget Lovecraft stuff. The opening couple of minutes and the last 20 minutes were incredible.

I also have to give them a lot of credit for actually filming stuff in Chicago instead of Vancouver or Georgia and pretending it is Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So Lodge 49 fans this just got posted on the Lodge 49 Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lodge49/comments/jud0ye/attn_lynx_l_marvin_metz_is_speaking_tonight_you/

Something is going on...