Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!

Oven Wrangler

Personally I am very looking forward to the Wheel of Time adaption that's coming to amazon later this year, it's one of my favorite dumb fantasy series and the casting info they've already released has me optimistic that it will be worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I am also curious if they keep the demographics true to the book -- if so the only 'white' characters would be Rand and the rest of the Aiel.

They have revealed casting for the main characters and they're a pretty diverse group. Perrin, Nynaeve, Lan, Egwene, and Fain are all being played by POC actors.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

I can only watch two episodes at a time before I get too anxious.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

What message is she trying to send here?

Buy my book! Buy my book!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

swickles posted:

I use some DVD's, like I got Scrubs with the original music so suck on that.

I've watched the first four seasons of Scrubs a lot and seeing it on streaming with the music being wrong made my brain hurt.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Smoking weed is cool btw

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Once it's aired it should be fair game. If I am trying to avoid spoilers for something I just skip over the post as soon as I realize what is being discussed. Knowing a plot point shouldn't discourage someone from watching a show, I know the plots of my favorite movies and TV shows and that doesn't ruin them on rewatch.

e:. Of course I am only speaking from my perspective, if you want to prevent people from trolling with spoilers then I see that leading to rules. I think people in general put too much emphasis on going into stories completely blind, but I also get the general idea of trying be surprised so if rules are necessary then so be it.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2020

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

I keep seeing commercials for 68 Whiskey and I am not sure how to feel. On one hand it seems gross to make a dramady about an ongoing war, on the other if they wait until American troops are pulled from Afghanistan they would never have a chance to make it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

That's disrespectful to the troops!!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

swickles posted:

To me it just looks like they want to remake MASH without flatly stating "we are rebooting MASH".

Yeah that's what I assumed. The use of Fortunate Son in the commercials is another what the gently caress moment.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

I did, but I found some of the non-interviewing criminals parts of season 2 to be meh, especially everything with Bill and his kid. I get what they were doing but I found it too contrived.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

The Watch books are cool and I would be ecstatic if they ever did Feet of Clay. WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

I only use Disney + because I got a free year with my cellphone plan, I am curious how many others are in the same boat and how many others won't be resubbing when that year ends.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Shrill season 2 came out the other day and it's just as funny and sweet as the first. Annie is smart and honest and insecure and vulnerable and I can't help but fall in love with Aidy Bryant.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Calaveron posted:

The climax of parks and rec was them convincing googamazacebook to build their campus in the inner city possibly pricing out a ton of people out of their homes

While I think giant corporations moving into areas and pricing out middle and lower class people and families is horrendous, it was pointed out many times that Councilman Dexhart's district is mostly abandoned factories and shipping containers that is overrun by raccoons. So like most issues in Parks and Rec there's a sensible solution to the problem and any real world consequences are downplayed or ignored.

This is kind of a reoccurring thing in Michael Schur shows that take place in a real world workplace. No one would work at Dunder Mifflin for more than six months. The police are not your friends. Real government doesn't involve finding the perfect solution to every problem. But they're lightweight workplace sitcoms with lovable characters who try to do the right thing and we enjoy them because the real world kinda sucks and they make us laugh.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

I'd rather eat a pineapple slice on a bun instead of a fish sandwich from McDonalds.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Bring back 3D Doritos, end our national nightmare once and for all, Frito-Lay!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Good comedies in the last 15 years:

It's Always Sunny
30 Rock
Workaholics
Broad City
Community
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Party Down
PEN15
Shrill
Bojack Horseman
American Vandal

I'm sure there are plenty others too but these all came to mind.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll also boost I Think You Should Leave.

I Think You Should Leave is great because they're 15 minute long episodes so you can blow through the whole first season in about an hour and a half. Very little investment required for such a funny show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

NYT is trash and should only be used as a fire starter or to clean up vomit.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Sure she sold a porous object that can become infested with bacteria and lead to septic shock and death but there's no verifiable cases of that specific thing happening so no harm, stop being so anti- feminist, gosh.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pigs! You're all pigs!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Argue posted:

What are some good episodes of TV shows (movies are also okay) where the day is saved thanks unironically to the power of music? I'm thinking stuff like the ep of Chuck where Rush's Tom Sawyer saves the day, or last season's Legends of Tomorrow finale where James Taylor does. Steven Universe doesn't count because the songs just happen alongside events--it's rare that the songs themselves are the solution, and GotG doesn't count because that scene was just a distraction and not particularly tied to music. Preferably something where nobody in the scene winkingly goes "haha this is all so stupid and lame".

Community s1e10, when Abed and Troy have to sing "Somewhere Out There" to their escaped lab rat to lure it back into its cage.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

It's funny and problematic.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Started watching Locke & Key, knowing nothing about the IP. Only on the third episode, but I don't get why these people don't share their trauma but let themselves get into situations that are triggering. Maybe don't hang out with kids that are obsessed with horror movies if the idea of blood causes you to have an anxiety attack? Or maybe talk to them about it so they understand what you're going through? I've gone through some traumatic poo poo in the last year myself and holding stuff in and not talking about it is probably the worst thing you can do, you'd think they would all be in therapy after their dad is killed and the rest are almost murdered.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Again, why aren't they all in therapy to deal with this trauma? They all clearly have PTSD, but seem to not want to deal with it in any ways that don't involve magic keys. It's a minor point but still one I'm probably not going to get over.

e:. I get that it's fiction, but it just bugs me when authors don't even give lip service to legitimate ways to handle trauma because that would mean less drama and conflict.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 9, 2020

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Actually my biggest issue with the show is that Gabe is played by the guy from American Vandal and we never got a third season of that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Iron Crowned posted:

So, why did they even bother soft killing Hopper? Were they expecting Hellboy would do gangbusters, and weren't sure if they could sign him back on for season 4?

Drama for people who don't consume and discuss media like we do. I'm sure there are a lot of casual viewers who think he's dead and will be surprised at the reveal. Hell, enough goons will miss important plot points and very obvious things while we're at it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Robert Conrad died last week and they've been playing Wild Wild West on the Decades tv network and this show kinda rules?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

I read one of those clickbait articles about the couples from The Bachelor and The Bachelorette and turns out like 95% of The Bachelor couples have broken up while the vast majority of The Bachelorette couples are still together. Men really stink at picking women, the stats don't lie

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

I clicked that link and the pre-video ad I saw was the trailer featured in the video, it's like a Russian nesting doll of trailers.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like technology and what kind of movies we get has shifted so much that you could totally make a run at a Mario movie, but also that it would still be a loving crazy mess anyway and I really want them to do it.

There is a CG animated Mario movie in the works, Illumination is making it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Yyyyyyeeeeesssssss!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

My wife would binge TWD seasons on Netflix a few years ago and the best part was thinking about personal zombie outbreak plans and the strange zombie stress dreams I would occasionally get.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Oasx posted:

It's my pet conspiracy theory that has no basis in facts. The idea is that you rarely see a child in an american tv show or movie that isn't incredibly annoying or a horrible brat. Sometimes you get lucky and the horrible behavior is balanced by them also being tolerable, but those moments are in the minority.
In other words we keep telling young people that children are horrible monsters.

Sure but also the economic reality is that children are expensive to have and raise. It's easy to not care about those things when you're a fictional character and things always work out, now try rasing two kids, owning a home, and paying college loans on $50,000 a year in reality.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

We also live in a world where the oop cost of a vasectomy is like a fraction of the cost of tubal ligation and much safer but men have been programmed for eons to equate fertility with masculinity so far too many don't get it done. I had a guy who has 10 kids tell me that he wouldn't get a vasectomy because "then you're just jizzing in your ballsack" so with logic like that it's no surprise he's got enough to field a baseball team. Once my work insurance kicks in a trip to the testicle man is in order, for sure.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Well his dad had been dead since 1998 so I imagine it's hard to have a close relationship.

e: drat it beaten to the punch line

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

Oh is that the rumor

I redpilled my bros on the Prince Harry pedigree issue the other day, the pics blew their minds

I didn't know what he looked like until he showed up on Kimmy Schmidt and I was like come the gently caress on.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So like... why isn't anyone just going "gently caress Saudi Arabia" and releasing that Khashoggi doc?

Like, on paper, looking at the geopolitical situation, America has them by the balls, not vice versa. If they lose American military support, more or less the entire rest of the Middle East is going to start gangfucking them within days, and their enemies have just as much oil.

What in the hell is causing all these American companies to go "OH NOOOOO WE CAN'T OFFEND THE SAUDIS" when, by all appearances, they totally could and the global response to any Saudi complaints about it would be "get hosed you assholes"?

Oil is the blood of capitalism and they have the oil so they can do literally whatever they want and no one will say or do anything that might upset them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

What is he even trying to say with "losing die process"? He was tried and found guilty in a court of law, that's the process.