Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Their first 4 shows were all renewed, so they’re at least holding on for that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3 seasons

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dark is so good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Shrill season 2 came out the other day and it's just as funny and sweet as the first. Annie is smart and honest and insecure and vulnerable and I can't help but fall in love with Aidy Bryant.

Only seen the first episode so far but it was very enjoyable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The latest Mission Impossible was super goddamn good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t been able to pay attention to the last two episodes of The Outsider at all. I don’t know what’s up with me. Events just bounce right off me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Paris cooking is weird but did y’all not see that dude who said season 5 of Parks was the best one??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seinfeld

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

Is there an app like Letterboxd for TV ?

Criticker has TV shows on it. But they’re not separate from movies which I find really annoying

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I tried to watch No Activity but I despise the gimmick

.....that it’s two people talking to each other?

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 29, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Homie that's massively reductive

How?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The gimmick is two people talking to each other, in every scene, with no action, or, one might say, no activity. At least as far as I could get into it. Like are you arguing that that is not the show's hook or what

That’s what I said. That it’s two people talking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hey TV people you like good stories, right? and do you have a home device that can play modern video games? if so, play KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I feel like The Council is a much better recommend for TVIV

I haven’t played it yet you idiot!!!!!!!! but I did buy it based on your rec

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s like one of the main arcs of season 2 though so it does seem weird to criticise it (you can criticise the way they handwave it all away in the s3 premiere though because that was a bit meh)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Season 1 and 2 of P&R might as well be different shows. You know how we often take a UK show and do an American version? This was a time where we took a US show and made a US Version later.

I agree with this (although the Parks s1 finale is pretty good), but we were talking about Community

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

So I watched the new episode of Miracle Workers and it seems like someone told them in production that they would be allowed to say "gently caress" and when it came time to air they learned they couldn't and now its bleeped.

Hahaha I noticed that too.

Also I thought it was a decent start. Seems to be better than the first season, at least. Peter Serafinowicz playing a king helps a lot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So it must get better after season 1 right?

Because I watched all of season 1 and it was extremely Only Okay

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'll never understand why goons are so enthusiastic about praising Sandler any time he does something vaguely decent.

Have you seen the movie? He’s really really fuckin good in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

He's competent in it.

wtf

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know how anyone remembers anything that happens in The Outsider. Every week I watch the previously on and am just like “......what?”

It’s like it was designed specifically to stop me from paying attention to it at any moment lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard a lot of people say Holly Gibney is one of King’s all-time best characters, but the version in this show - despite being played by Cynthia Erivo, who is great - is completely uninteresting and flat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My friend made a supercut of every time Joe Pera introduces himself https://youtu.be/pgJstoQR0kg

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That applies to the original Dark Crystal movie a lot more than Willow imo

The New Pope has the best title sequences week after week

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Solo is a loving poo poo movie there’s literally a bit where Han goes “Chewbacca? That’s too long! We’ve gotta give you a nickname!” and it was so embarrassing

Last Jedi is fantastic and anyone who disagrees can eat my rear end

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s literally the opposite of what Big Mean Jerk did

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

How's the new Curb season shaking out?

So far I think it’s only ok, but still enjoyable enough to watch. The sexual harassment stuff is pretty fun, even if it’s already well-mined territory at this point, but the other main storyline of Larry opening a coffee shop is pretty weak.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm finally getting around to watching this. Halfway through season 3. I know he's an rear end in a top hat, but is it wrong that I agree with Larry the majority of the time? Sure, I wouldn't go about it the same way but I just.. . get him.

Most of Curb is about how Larry is an rear end in a top hat but everyone around him is even worse

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

What are some good episodes of TV shows (movies are also okay) where the day is saved thanks unironically to the power of music? I'm thinking stuff like the ep of Chuck where Rush's Tom Sawyer saves the day, or last season's Legends of Tomorrow finale where James Taylor does. Steven Universe doesn't count because the songs just happen alongside events--it's rare that the songs themselves are the solution, and GotG doesn't count because that scene was just a distraction and not particularly tied to music. Preferably something where nobody in the scene winkingly goes "haha this is all so stupid and lame".

Stranger Things s3 finale?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New show from Rob McElhenney/Charlie Day/Megan Ganz hit Apple TV today. First episode was not great but promising!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s definitely way less focused but I’m still having a fun time with it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s only Lana making Matrix 4. Lilly is focusing on Work In Progress instead (which I’m happy about! s1 was good!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The smart thing about Mr. Robot s1 is how they make the big reveal super loving obvious so they can blindside you with the OTHER big reveal about Darlene.

I’m hearing reports that Locke & Key s1 covers the entire comic run. For anyone who’s watched both: is this true? And also, how????? A lot happens in that goddamn comic!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Zellweger was the favourite by far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am so loving happy right now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loved Marriage Story tbh but Parasite was 100% the best film of 2019 and all the praise and awards it’s had have been so correct

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

I am tempted to just read the entire plot of Parasite, none of the previous movies I have seen from Bong Joon-ho have really done anything for me, and nobody can seemingly explain the plot of the movie.

If you really have to know SOMETHING: it’s about a rich family and a poor family. okay go see it

I liked but didn’t love Snowpiercer and Okja but think Parasite is a masterpiece fwiw. Haven’t seen any of Bing’s other Korean films but I definitely will soon

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t even believe the sitcom about an MMO is a sitcom and not a totally realistic documentary that is super accurate to how MMOs operate!!!!

That’s some peak goon complaining right there.

But whatever, it wasn’t that good of a show. And the Jake Johnson/Cristin Milioti episode was way better than the rest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

"Of course tv dramas have nothing in common with the settings they are set in" is a hot take I didn't expect

Unrealistic police work and questionable medical practices are fine!!!! Shut up you NERDS!

I mean it’s like people complaining that you can’t actually make magically pure blue meth or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now you’re catchin’ on!