Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is a show coming to netflix that might intrigue y'all(this is apparently the page it's supposed to be on, though right now it's blank). It's called Dorohedoro, and it's an adaptation of a manga that is one of the more unique series and settings I've encountered, anime or no. It's just so loving WEIRD, and the rules of its world especially so. It's filthy, not a single surface in the entire series is free from dirt, dings, dents, damage, grime, chips, rust, mold, etc. It's horrifically, grotesquely, ludicrously, comically violent. It's very silly and goofy, juxtaposed against the regular occurrence of horrible death, or sometimes alongside those.

It's set in a dilapidated semimodern city, "Hole", where the denizens are regularly abducted and experimented upon by sorcerers. One such unlucky person, Kaiman, had his head replaced by a lizard's, and his memories stolen. To regain them, he bites the heads of sorcerers he catches and a mysterious man who lives in the back of his throat judges whether they were involved or not. If not, then he kills them. He spends most of his time with Nikaido, the owner of the grungy diner Hungry Bug, and part-time sorcerer hunter. She's the lady in the OP of the show, which is weird, makes little to no sense to someone who has not read the series, and yet is utterly perfect when you ask anyone who has. I hope you like gyoza!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_YJde1yps&hd=1

Here's a teaser of the first couple minutes of the show subbed, I believe english Netflix will be uploading the whole thing(maybe dubbed?) when the season has fully aired. which seems like a weird way to do it, to me, instead of just airing them as they come out in Japan, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BrrHlda25E&hd=1

It is a wild, surreal series where basically everyone is a mass murderer clown idiot because that's just the sort of world they live in, almost all the major characters are super fun and entertaining despite them all essentially being serial killers. I watched the raw of the first episode and it looks to be extremely faithful to the original manga, and the amount of detail and effort put in to make sure absolutely everything is as run-down and dirty as possible is kind of staggering. The character CGI models look pretty good most of the time, too, though there are some off moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Cap, your on thin ice bringing anime to tvland.
I think Dorohedoro could have a wider appeal similar to Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Might sound like a joke, but it's seriously a unique as hell series and up there alongside LOGH in my favorites, though obviously for different reasons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

muscles like this! posted:

Peacock (the NBC streaming service) is doing a The Adventure Zone animated series. Hopefully they got a better deal on that than the MBMBaM series, which somehow ended up with them getting absolutely no money from digital purchases.
TAZ: The Balance Arc is one of my favorite stories of all time, something I never thought I'd ugly cry multiple times at, please please please don't gently caress it up NBC

Have they posted any teasers or preview images or anything?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fair enough. I do hope it's something along the lines of this fan-made cartoon TAZ intro-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3k6uxJ6yYs

Or something relatively similar, but suitably cartoony at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DaveKap posted:

Agreed 100% which is why after they landed on doing Amnesty, I listened for about 5 episodes and dropped it altogether only to return for every live show, which all seem to hearken back to the good poo poo that they no longer want to do. I ain't even talking about the fact they use Balance characters each time, I just mean they're actually funny.

Plus, why the gently caress can't they just let Justin DM for once.

In any case, I have high hopes for the show and as much as I hope they keep Griffin's best voices and characters, I also hope they keep Griffin's best music. Dude straight up talented the poo poo out of that music.

yeah I stopped after the balance arc, listened to a few pods after the end of that(ABSOLUTELY listen to the making-of/behind the scenes if you haven't, it's fascinating as hell) but I have so many other podcasts to listen to and the newer stuff just didn't capture that same magic. With TBA, they were at the bottom of the mountain and only had to climb. After TBA, they were at the summit, and it felt like the only way left was down. I'm guessing they've never really bottled that lightning again since then.

and for sure, the music griffin made for TBA was crazy good. Like, this was for the climax of the fabulous death game show arc, and it's so drat good both for it and in general
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplIPSgiohA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beastars is finally on Netflix, and I made a thread

it's a real interesting series, I'd love to see some non-anime folks takes on it.