Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVERY FAIRY TALE NEEDS ITS HERO.

Well yeah. It exists purely to extend the IP rather. It will be entirely uninteresting even if it's polished. It's not even adapting The Silmarillion because of rights issues. It has no artistic value from conception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just have Mission Hill pick up where it left off so we actually get something good

Mission Hill, much like Daria, is way too entrenched in a deeply Gen X worldview to work today. Sure, you'd get a cult nostalgia audience but it would baffle anyone under 30 or over 50, which is not an idea that would be particularly attractive to advertisers or streaming services.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

They have an empty nest and, if they're not impoverished, retirement spending. That's why I said 30-50. Below 30 and above 50 are more attractive from a demographic standpoint and also happens to correspond to older millennials and Gen X.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Just give me a flippin' show about a band of adventurers getting low-stakes quests.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

90% of the quests on Adventure Time are pretty low stakes. There’s at least two or three episodes that revolve around Jake gathering or rescuing sandwich ingredients.

Yeah, I loved the early seasons of Adventure Time before it became a Heartfelt Serialized Drama.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I tried watching Legend of the Seeker but it didn't have any of the camp that made Hercules/Xena/et al work.

Man, I wanna watch some Hercules and Xena now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, Moffat is so frustrating because he's got a lot of talent but his instincts are so poor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Revisiting Batman Beyond on my continued tour of cyberpunk media for the first time since I was a teenager. It's a bit breathlessly paced, but it's just way, way better than it has any right to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It's the best of Batman and the best of Spider-Man in one streamlined package, set in the world of Akira.

But yeah, back when it was airing I remember not fully loving it because "it doesn't feel like Batman." What a dweeb.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah I just bought a used Blu set and it looks teriffic.

e: The only problem with this show is that Batman is a fuckin' cop.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 5, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

After watching a good deal more Batman Beyond today, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'd actually call it cyberpunk. Aesthetically it nails it, and episodes often deal with stories that center around transhumanism, virtual reality, genetic splicing, etc, but there's no larger critique of the power structures, the show isn't at all critical of the government or the military outside of individual bad actors, and at no point do Terry or Bruce have to challenge authority in any meaningful way. In other words, no "punk."

Terry starts out as a criminal with a heart of gold, becomes a vigilante in-name-only, and just turns into a super-powered cop.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

"Reach New Depths"

Of course it is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I watched Max Headroom on DVD this weekend. I went into it hoping that I would barely notice the difference, but... I very much noticed the difference. Poorly-mastered SD looks like poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sadly I think commentary tracks are going to relegated to directors deciding to record one on their own time and upload the audio to YouTube. Once again, Aronofsky was ahead of his time with The Fountain.

bull3964 posted:

Animation, on the other hand, usually fares pretty well.

Yeah, though when watching Batman Beyond this weekend it was still painfully obvious every time shots were SD-sourced.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I only know one other person who even has a regular Blu-ray player.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did he do this with The fountain?

Yeah, he was frustrated that the studio wouldn't let him do one for the DVD release so he put it up on his website for you to download and sync yourself. I've seen a number if similar instances since.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ashpanash posted:

The What's on second.

The Band? The The? Yes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I don't know.

Third base!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmTYpVtICE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzOzLPP5EOE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Every ship in Discovery's future season should be made out of holomatter if they're taking this futurism thing seriously.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I have no idea how he could do Nemesis (and like a dozen other dumb things) as well as Penny Dreadful. I guess a broken clock is right once a screenwriting career or something like that.

Check out who wrote Chernobyl.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I've never seen the Hammer films or really any of the big time old Draculas but is he always this arch? I love it.

Watch the Hammer films. They are so good, and Lee is amazing when he actually gets lines. But also when he just stares he's pretty great, too.

Also watch Dracula '78 to get some Sexy Langella all up in your loins.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Locke and Key trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EonRi0yQOE

I haven't read the comics, but that looks a lot more YA than I expected...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 8, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A modern reboot where an undocumented immigrant is the nanny for an affluent and well-meaning-but-oblivious Park Slope family would be solid with the right creator behind it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Let's say I like pirates but I dislike bad writing. Be Black Sails worth watching?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Can somebody reboot The Outer Limits again already? I need more goddamn monsters in my life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Do you keep up with politics?

No, I mean gruesome, repulsive-looking, uh... hm.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stefan Urquelle was never hot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

that time I suddenly discovered that everyone my age beloved The Price if Right. Nothing wrong with it, just catching me completely off guard.

the hell did you do when you stayed home sick from school

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I can't imagine anything I'd want to watch less than a nostalgia-drenched documentary about worshipping children's toys.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nothing that blew me away, but optimistic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi2h1Zfr7fs

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sure, I dislike Westworld S2 because it's a convoluted mess. But I dislike it more for being a series of missed opportunities—not of my own head-canon, but of interesting science-fiction concepts that are set up and never explored. The first season spends a huge chunk of time examining the nature of consciousness and exploring the implications of a man-made (or human-assisted) consciousness on both the artificial beings themselves and the humans who interact with them. On what makes a being truly conscious, on the humanizing nature of empathy and the dehumanizing animal instincts of man. The second season, however, didn't seem all that concerned with thoughtful exploration of issues surrounding AI, consciousness, or human nature at all.

Like, in Samurai World you have one character encountering her own Eastern double, another person who shares her programming at a core level. Who shares her soul. Two persons born from one mind. And then... they never touch on the implications of that, instead dedicating their time to a lame cowboy vs. ninja vs. samurai battle that was extremely poorly shot. Bernard encounters a room full of his body, perfect copies that might make one question their own corporeal nature, that could make one question their own unique nature in this world, but then it goes absolutely nowhere. There are also drone hosts who aren't modeled after human beings, an underclass of robot servants who don't feel any kind of identity crisis, don't feel the push and pull between the worlds of man and machine and they... just kind of wander around.

Season 1 felt like the kind of show that would explore those ideas. Season 2 had very different priorities.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I don't think it's a reasonable expectation to ask people to discuss a show and then have no details about the show revealed. If your definition of spoilers is anything that would ruin a cool reveal from a show, then most trailers do that. If your definition of a spoiler is revealing the end-game of a season, then I don't think that anything that's been discussed here spoils the season in any significant way, at least not without the context of knowing why certain plot elements are relevant—which you'd only know if you'd seen the show.

I'd say my thoughts are that you shouldn't talk about The Big Reveal of any show in explicit terms, but generally discussing the events of the season a year after it came out is fair game.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

I had a cameo spoiled for me by Youtube and I genuinely thought it was a well made fan mashup because what I was witnessing was IMPOSSIBLE

Link that vid.

I watched some scenes from Superman Returns and got really bummed about the state of current superhero fare. It's a flawed as hell film, but I was shocked at how effective and tense its action scenes were because it actually felt like people were in danger rather than it all being a big low-stakes cartoon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bruceski posted:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pksh3l0iCPo

Let's see if that breaks auto-embed enough.

Mh. Well, that confirms that the CW shows are not for me, I found that to be incredibly cringeworthy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Seasons are split so that they can be accepted for multiple awards seasons, IIRC. So there was probably no further reason to delay it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The first time I ever did mushrooms was at a Flaming Lips concert in 2007 at Bonnaroo. Fun time amazing night, but I couldn't imagine going to a show involving Wayne Coyne at this point.

I was there, too! No shrooms, though. Amazing show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

This empty pantomime of a psychological thriller won't be missed.

I know it's for a silly reason, but the show lost me in the first episode when they traveled to my tiny midwestern hometown to solve a double murder that has no basis in history whatsoever. I still watched a few more episodes to give it a shot, but that just pulled me right out of the story and it lost its True Crime veneer. It's not like the show was presented as a documentary, but I guess based on the premise (and Zodiac) I was expecting something that at least used real cases and history as inspiration. Using real serial killers, made up protagonists, and made up crimes just made me feel that nothing I was watching had an historical basis. And since the show was purporting to be the birth of serial killer profiling, historical basis (or the illusion of it) matters.

I also didn't love the characters and didn't feel particularly compelled by its story or mystery, but those aren't what lost me.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 16, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It's also being shopped around to other services.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

People on Reddit are very dumb and have bad taste. They aren't interested in film or TV as anything other than flashy colors and sounds.

Plus, Claire is the real MVP. Chris Morocco is a close second, but Brad is like... 5th place at best. But it's also just a dumb reality show dressed up in nicer clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

The real answer is Gaby

Her personality is great, but her food is rarely exciting and she doesn't have her own fun high-concept show yet. Until then she's kinda the wacky neighbor. So that makes her my #3.