Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

The accusation didn't seem to amount to much. He was on the paley center panel in 2019 and the entire cast was there supporting him includling Amy Poehler, Rita, Rashida Jones, Aubrey Plaza, and Mike Schurr. The site that reported the abuse doesn't even exist anymore and the journalist that wrote it isn't a journalist anymore either.

e: I admit the Tom Haverford character sucked

Oh well if the entire cast was supporting him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Sherlock turned to poo poo by season 3, there was never any hope.

Sherlock has always been poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Speaking of Sherlock shows, I haven't seen Elementary since that season where his dad showed up. Did it stay good?

Yes. It also managed to nail not one, but two finales! The season finale in s6 was originally planned their series finale, but then the show got renewed for a shortened s7.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't want to go into the thread for spoilers but regarding The Witcher; is anything actually achieved by making the timeline of the show non-linear or is just for a twist or showing stuff off?

It's not a twist. They don't make an attempt to hide it and there isn't some big gotcha reveal moment. It's just how they chose to do it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

For anyone that missed it:

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1214003629377478656

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Maybe one day we'll get a live TV version, or a big screen version directed by Tom Hooper

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1214979972135190528?s=20

The Nanny: The TV Show: The Musical: The Movie in 2039 with a cgi Fran Drescher.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Let's say I like pirates but I dislike bad writing. Be Black Sails worth watching?

Supposedly it got better in the second season, but I have yet to find out because I tapped out after the first. It was real mediocre and boring.

Also:

Oasx posted:

Black Sails is a pirate show that can’t afford to actually spend any significant time at sea, so 95% of the snow takes place on an island dealing with politics.
In other words, no, Black Sails is not good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

There's already so much teeth gnashing in the star trek thread that Picard is gonna be bad.

Anything that isn't TNG will be considered bad by that thread.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

I still don't get the Witcher love. I tried to watch episode one and got super bored about halfway through. Does it get better? Was I just in a bad mood or something?

Yes it gets better and you may have been grumpy idk

Seems like the consensus is that if you don't like it by the end of episode 3, you can give up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEn609nkRs

quote:

Will they course correct from the garbage that was season 2? Or maybe they will double down and keep trying to outsmart reddit even if the twists are completely nonsensical?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Season 2 was pretty interesting, AFAIK most of the hate seemed to come from people who had it all written out in their heads and then the season went another direction entirely. Then again, I also have a pretty fuzzy memory of it all since I binged it alone instead of weekly with friends as it came out as with S1. I remember really liking the escalation of Maeve's character and I'm of course rooting for the AIs to get rights and citizenship in the regular world. IIRC the Samurai World poo poo kind of goes nowhere and seems to retread character beats I thought we'd already covered.

The dislike for Westworld s2 is because the plot was legitimately bad and full of stupid poo poo. The "Welcome to Westworld" scene, the data in Abernathy's head(which was a s2 retcon that made the whole thing from s1 even more stupid), Dolores finally smuggling things out of the park, random character is actually a robot, the whole flooding of the valley "mystery" which made 0 sense because there were a ton of people who witnessed it and probably more stuff I am forgetting.

S2 was told in a convoluted manner, but the story itself was also poor and nonsensical if you even stop to think about it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Thanks for all the spoilers! Really cool!

Nothing I said was a spoiler unless you haven't seen a single s3 trailer(which shows Dolores out of the park) or believe that random character is a robot was something they actually built up and dropped hints at instead of deciding on the actual day of shooting the scene so that it was a complete surprise to everyone, including the actor.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, just read the timeline and it was convoluted just for the sake of stopping viewers from guessing everything. My hopes for s2 were that hosts get to break free of their horrible human-torture-gratification hellscape existences and it accomplished that, but it does seem like they took a sensible linear set of events and then remixed them for the sake of not-clarity. I was being dismissive before, these are legit criticisms now that I'm reliving them. Also I'm remembering how I'm not actually rooting for most of the characters, gently caress all rich people.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1yX0rpMNHI

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/nancywyuen/status/1217569709945606144

I'm glad it's official.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Davros1 posted:

According to Carla Gugino, Cinemax has cancelled "Jett", and on top of that Cinemax will no longer be making original programming.

That really sucks. I hope Warrior was given some notice so they can end the show in a satisfying way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hey maybe cinemax won't do anymore original programming because it's all being rebranded as HBO Max all the shows are dead

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it cool if I make a new megathread just for the "modern" Star Trek shows that are airing now or will air soon? That way we can close the old Discovery thread and have a place for new viewers to talk about the shows without getting lost in the "classic" Trek thread. I've got half an OP written already.

Why not just make a Picard thread?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Just make a Picard thread like cap said. The disco thread hates disco and I don't want that weird toxicity in a Picard thread.

I'm sure all the grognards from the trek thread will show up to complain anyways if Picard isn't 10 episodes of him listening to flute recitals or whatever they think the show should be.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The toxicity is going to follow no matter what, this would just allow us to merge the existing Disco thread with a new Picard thread since the former has been around for 3 years, it was written before we really even knew the premise of the show, and now the show doesn't even have that same premise anymore. The latter doesn't have a thread yet and will probably attract new folks who don't want to wade through the old Trek megathread. Plus I can future-proof it a bit by adding info on Lower Decks, Short Treks, and all the other shows in production.

Yea that makes sense.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1220901622446018560

Oh no

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT16fxjX9s8

Feb 27th

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Timby posted:

Ray Donovan has been canceled.

I'm surprised it was still going.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Well, that or making Reileen Takís sister. That was stupid and pointless.

That was their one good change from the source material

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJbFA32_QY

Lots of new footage

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Westworld s2 deserved every bit of criticism and mockery it got in the thread.

The s1 thread was fine, probably because the show wasn't a raging dumpster fire.

e: Even the s2 thread was mostly fine until the finale, because there was still some hope that the various plot threads would come together or make sense. Then the wheels came off and it was hilarious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 21, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Anyone watching the second season of Altered Carbon?

(Im watching the credits and getting some nasty flashback to how identical looking all of Netflix's opening credits used to be.)

Edit: Simone Missick makes a good sexy noir girl.

I am and it's good. So far it seems more even than season 1. The highs aren't as high but the lows aren't as low either.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Season 1 was cool and sexy and violent and badass, but every time it deviated from the books with its own ideas it was staggeringly dumb, and every scene with the Quellists would have been better replaced with screaming white-noise.

Two episodes in, and S2 seems to have decided that the Quellists are great and we should have even more of them. I'm...not optimistic.

Oh yea s2 is way more Takashi and Quellcrist stuff, but way less Quellists. They are mentioned a few times but aren't really there that much.

Overall it was a fine season but I don't think the show is getting renewed since I think this was the third and final book they adapted while they skipped the second one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbvi5iDkao
Trailer for the final season of Future Man.

Looks like they got an actual budget this time, unlike season 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I enjoyed the second season but it definitely wasn't as amazing as the first. Especially the entire episode about what Corey Wolf-Hart was doing during the eighties.

And it looks like the showrunners feel the same way as this seems to be more along the lines of season 1 and loving around throughout time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I mean there are things to complain about in s2 of Altered Carbon, but the planet not being islands and one of the antagonists not being Russian or Japanese seems insanely nitpicky. If those were "fixed", how would it have affected the story at all?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Take a drink every time somebody says "what, don't you recognise me?".

No, no I don't recognise you, because you've changed sleeves.

There's just so many of these moments that just don't make sense in the setting. Like the poor family, clawing their way out of the slums, who somehow have custom engraving on their stacks . Or upon finding a dead body with its stack ripped out, our heroes immediately conclude the stack must be nearby and frantically start searching for it. It just...what? I don't want to be that guy who nitpicks characters reasoning for not being perfectly logical, but so much of what they do and say is completely incoherent.

That first spoiler was hilarious to me and I loved how it made no sense at all except to clumsily advance the plot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Time for more Altered Carbon I guess. Netflix needs to stop using this ugly art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmDxxoFslzs

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

I just finished rewatching Westworld s2 and more of it was good than I expected, itís only really episodes 7/9/10 where the plotting and mystery poo poo gets in the way of the show. Still happy that 3 will be supposedly getting away from that style.

Also during the finale I was thinking how many hosts actually make it through the door before hacked Clementine drives them all crazy and they kill each other? It doesnít feel like itís that many. Thatís pretty dark.

Haha I don't know where you heard that but I got bad news for you...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is Seth MacFarlane basically just doing The Orville these days and pretending the animated shows don't exist? I sure would

He hasn't been hands on with the animated shows for a long time now. Maybe even close to a decade. afaik he just does the voices and that's it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sloth Life posted:

Rewatching Killjoys. I forgot how fun and tightly plotted the first two seasons were, nearly everything tied into the main narrative, characters had flaws and made impactful decisions (some good some bad). There were real stakes and real losses.

Season 3 is a downgrade. The hackmod subplot was interesting but went absolutely nowhere. I do not like Pippin or Zeph. I do not like the humanisation/redemption of Kendry (hello experimenting on children, murder, extinction eugenics). Aneela is well done as both utterly despicable, completely unstable and also ultimately a victim.
I have skipped a few episodes because of how blah they are. I don't think seasons 4 and 5 are going to age well either.

Season 5 was the worst one by far and the finale was bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oasx posted:

I just watched the Netflix Dracula series, the first two episodes are good, but then it gets really dumb. So Dracula wakes up in present time and is captured by a foundation that wants to study him, this is all pretty cool and a nice twist to the series. But the Dracula calls a lawyer and he gets let out so he can start killing people again.
Itís a really weird story decision and a lot of the episode just doesnít make much sense.

From what I've heard, it just keeps getting dumber and dumber until it finally peaks in the finale.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pahuyuth posted:

gently caress I always forget about Nikita. I think I only got about 80% through S1. How is it after the first season?

Also I've had a real itch to watch Continuum again

The first 2 seasons are fantastic. Season 3 was okay, but season 4 was good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Timby posted:

He was pissed that he wasn't getting more money than Hargitay. Very strange return.

I wonder if this means Law & Order: Hate Crimes is dead.

iirc the dispute was that he would have to shoot a full season of the show while she would only do like 17 episodes or something while both making the same amount of money.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Holy gently caress the end of episode 3 of Futureman

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm going to be poo poo on but that was the good thing this season.

It was definitely one of the high points. I also liked the credits sequence too.

I'd rank the season 1 > 3 > 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CeeJee posted:

Not sure anyone is still watching Strike Back which is kind of going through the motions towards the end but they are bringing on some good guest actors. Last week it was Boris The Blade and this week they have Mad Dog from The Raid.

I am and