Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Colin Farrell is playing a psyhotic harpooner on an 1850's whaling ship in The North Water later this year so if anyone's not excited for that I'm not sure what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

If Picard doesn't address the most insidious conspiracy in the Star Trek universe that was dropped and then never mentioned again, then what is even the point?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Hannibal owned so much. I really need to rewatch that. The real house they used for Hannibal's house is just a few blocks away from me and I go out of my way to walk by it whenever I can and gawk and remember how gorgeous they made it look in Mizumono :allears:

Dark is also very good but I'm just waiting until the final season is out to get back to it. There is way too much going on in that show to not watch it for an extended amount of time between seasons and actually remember everything you need to remember.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Double post

el oso fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 26, 2020

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Locke & Key was fine. I loved the comics and the show was pretty decent when it was focusing on the keys, the house, or the family dynamic but they spend about 50% of the show's time on some pretty terrible high school/teen romance scenes. Outside of the main actors the casting is fairly bad and they really dropped the ball on casting the main villain(s), although I thought they did a good job with the Sam Lesser character.

I do like the way they've set up a potential/likely 2nd season and I think they are past some of the worst parts of setting up the show & characters so hopefully it'll take a big jump in quality.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Oasx posted:

I think one of problems with the show is that half the time is spent dealing with teen drama, and the main characters are a bunch of brats who do nothing but whine.
It’s just a much lesser version of the Lost Room

That reminds me, I need to watch The Lost Room again. Loved it, wish they had ended up going to series with it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Medullah posted:

The worst part of that is that they kept showing that scene in the "previously, on the Shield" recaps for like 9 seasons.

Wasn't there also a full season where they kept showing a scene involving Anthony Anderson and a blowjob or something? It's a vague memory but I remember it being shown over and over

Overall I still hold the show in pretty high estimation but can't imagine rewatching it again in this era. Still my favourite series finale though

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Also a third season of The Terror has been announced, with a few of the writers. The only one I recognize is Victor LaValle, but that alone is exciting to see.

I almost never give up on a show or movie that I start watching but I was so out on the 2nd season of The Terror after the 4th episode or so and never went back. I absolutely adored the first season so hope it gets back on track.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

isaboo posted:

I think something valuable was once there but it was probably already recovered (there's at least one plausible theory regarding who may have found it- a former slave who got rich somehow), but the potential for a little bit of history about the area to be rewritten is pretty compelling and I think the team is okay with that.

The ideas presented by some of the crackpots they have on the show can be pretty eye rolling, but the core team and the scientists they use seem pretty legit

I haven't been able to help myself from watching Oak Island since the very start and still find the core of it a fascinating story - there was some huge undertaking on the island(s) a long, long time ago and while it's doubtful any real treasure is going to be found there I'm still interested in hopefully finding out what went down there. I really do like the Lagina brothers and most of the locals who appear on the show, plus the actual science and engineering the show is fun. They seem to add a new Maritimer I really like each season too, this time a Newfie blacksmith that they felt they had to provide captions for.

As mentioned above, it's the crackpot theorizing that drives me crazy along with the production leaning into the most obnoxious elements of reality tv - unending recapping, reaction shots, dramatic music, etc.

It is funny that after all these years their next big project is to big a REALLY BIG HOLE. They said it's going to take hundreds of millions and 3 years to do it but I can't really imagine they can actually stretch out the show for that much longer if all they are doing is digging one massive hole after everything else they've tried doing.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I still can't believe that NBC gave Hannibal 3 seasons, it's almost impossible to explain how they got a surreal, pretentious show about murder husbands with incredible amounts of gore to last so long. I loved it so much.

I've seen a ton of horror movies but scenes like the cello, the mural or eating your own face still make me queasy to think about. I can't remember the exact details but there was a great anecdote about how NBC looked at one of the more graphic gore scenes and the only thing they objected to was a buttcrack so they said they would cover the crack with blood and everything was peachy after that.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Baskets is really great. Louie Anderson's performance in it is so memorable and touching, it's worth it for him alone - Marth Kelly is also really good and in general it's a (very dryly) funny show if you're into Galifinakis.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

That witches episode of WWDitS was amazing

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

LMM was truly terrible in His Dark Materials

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I miss Lodge 49

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm liking Perry Mason quite a bit. Some really great actors on the show but John Lithgow is doing some special work on it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Lovecraft Country was pretty wild tonight - I thought for sure that what happened tonight would have been a multi-episode arc but they blew through it all in one night. No idea what to expect for the rest of the season now

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm enjoying The Third Day quite a bit. Wicker Man but with Jude Law is my jam and I did hear it was doing a livestream thing but not a 12-hour thing :aaa:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm pumped for The Good Lord Bird y'all

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Was a bit behind on Lovecraft Country but caught up earlier. This show is wild and I absolutely love it. You never know what each episode is going to be like, it's a fun ride.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Locke and Key has been renewed for Season 3 before Season 2 airs and it sounds like they are going to go directly into production sheet season 2 wrapped this week.

I guess that's a way to get a quick renewal on Netflix, have child actors that your don't want to age up.

I thought the first season was pretty good. The villain(s) were not good actors and that dragged it down but the twist heading into the next season will hopefully rectify that.

This show also helped me find out that Shawn Ashmore has a twin because I sure as hell thought it was him the whole time.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I noticed that as well. Pretty bizarre choice and I had to rewind to make sure I didn't miss something and nope, they just never addressed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I have actually recently gotten back into The Magicians after watching the first two seasons back when they aired and am mostly enjoying it. Just watched the mid-S3 episode where Quentin and Eliot live out their entire lives at the mosaic and I was surprised at how moving that was despite having like 10 minutes of screentime, it was really well done. I'd say the show averages about a 6 most of the time but it can get up to 9 every now and then.

I think it's biggest shortcomings are mostly just the lack of budget to really spend much time outside of their usual few locations and some of the main cast are very limited actors. There are a few of them but particularly I find it frustrating with Margo - I feel like I really would really like the character but the actor is extremely one-note (spea-king ve-ry sl-ow-ly and swe-ear-ing con-sta-nt-ly) and gets a loooot of story attention. I find it needlessly complex as well. There are always a few more sub-plots and characters that don't seem necessary, either because they don't trust the writing or actors to do anything but move the plot forward every 10 seconds.

I really like it more when they lean into the way they depict their magic, its rules and random cruelty, the absurdity of ridiculous Narnia, and just letting the characters hang out and interacting. And Hale Appleman, he can do no wrong.