Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/1318980496035074048

Y'all wanna buy Quibi lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What show would be hacky enough to have a plot where a guy who is pushing a spurious theory about a candidate's troubled child and his vague "involvement" with underage girls - but it turns out that that guy was actually the one doing that.

Getting into the lower tier NCISes I'd say

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All six seasons of Dawson's Creek are coming to Netflix November 1 so if Trump wins re-election I will be retreating back into my high school life and only watching UPN/The WB dramas for the next four years. Birds of Prey!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/inkookang/status/1319374824511332352

Lmao the stupid loving DCEU is gonna bankrupt HBOmax

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zutaten posted:

Other than this the only other important thing is:

They're 900 years in their future now (1150 years from now now) in a bid to take some Important Data that a rogue AI from the future was planning to use to bootstrap its own creation, past the point of its own creation so it can't just try to grab it from the past again and kill all life in the galaxy (I hate time travel. don't ask) which apparently worked and now they're in the wild and weird never before seen year 3188 and Discovery just went from a prequel to a sequel like that.

I actually think Rokos Basilisk is great and hopefully this show helps him come into existence. I know I'm doing everything I can to make that a reality.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think most stuff is back in production right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Professional breathers in a closed store

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a good angle for a reboot, some decent jokes in there. Some less decent ones too

Gee where's Screech and Lisa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Spartacus did the less ambitious version of this gimmick with its extremely stylized english.

I liked that a lot, sometimes you see like four word latin axioms which translate into super long english axioms and I always wondered if they spoke like cavemen or something. But it works in the right context. "Jupiter places cock in anus again"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 3 of Ted Lasso has been greenlit, ahead of production on s2

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Nancy Drewniverse

Listen here you son of a bich

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't watch This Is Us but this season they are doing the whole pandemic thing....why would anyone want to watch that right now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was talking to my mom the other day and she said they started the 100. I gave them the usual caveats about how it's a CW show, etc. and I added that I don't know if my dad would like it because he's not a big sci fi guy. They had just finished Lucifer and my mom said that actually he'd been enjoying science fiction stuff lately because it's so far removed from Our Hellish Reality. She said they saw previews for This Is Us (a show they like) and everyone's wearing masks so they know it's going to be a covid focused season and both of them agreed they didn't want to watch a show remotely related to the hellworld.

And I agree, when this is all over, four or five years from now they're gonna start making pandemic focused shows and films and I don't want any part of that. None of this is entertaining.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Bowie biopic looking good
https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1321856176154243072

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Funny+action scenes+anime= Mob Psycho 100.

Overlord is funny too. I despise anime in fact it's the only one I've found funny every.

Castlevania isn't a laugh riot but it's got plenty of funny moments, plus it's really good with great action.

As an aside - has anyone watched the Blood of Zeus netflix anime, it looks like it's from the same studio as CV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For christ's sake don't skip seasons

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KimKardashian/status/1321955644736303104

This is without a doubt the most hosed up thing I've ever seen

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

there needs to be a word for this... feeling I'm getting for all life.

Weltschmerz

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This thread has been hosed up all week

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Because everyone is on loving edge with the election. I'm probably gonna stroke out.

Not me. I'm completely serene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5YpUsDsHmk&t=77s

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh? Is something going on today?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of, are y'all going to do cable news tonight or not at all - and is that different from normal for you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I understand they did destiel last night

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

kinda. Castiel confessed his love, but im p sure dean is firmly unable to reciprocate. They even super-buried this gay lol. Also, i have to wondered how gendered angels are outside of the human suits, even though castiel has firmly come to see himself as his suit. But yes, kinda.

Well biblically they are sexless. And many winged flaming rotating wheels-within-wheels with dozens of eyes, as well.

https://twitter.com/mulaney/status/1325116512055799811

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1325490106329751553

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1324562151718051840

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 8, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Had to have the lasht laugh the shon of a bitch

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

As far as I remember The Leftovers doesn't have a grown woman kissing a 12 year old

I remember watching that as a kid but I didn't remember that scene and someone posted it the other day....yikes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Greetings....Microwave

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not joking, all yall lurk more

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If anything I should lurk less

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

No writer is currently attached to the project, but sources say it will be executive produced by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, James Weaver, and Alex McAtee of Point Grey Pictures.

Oooo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The Last Kingdom is one of my under-the-radar shows on Netflix. Feels like a medieval DnD adventure with the warrior/cleric/thief surviving through viking raids and King Alfred. It's much better than the Vikings show.

Yeah it's fuckin great and better than Vikings. It's based on a series of books called The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell of you want more. I'm currently playing AC Valhalla which takes place at the same time (I just did stuff with Ubba and came across the remnants of Guthrum's army for example) and you can tell it draws a lot on those books and the show. Lotta voice actors crossover as well, the guy that plays Cnut is the main male VA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1328435645157662723

Unless what? This is a terrorist demand right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They did great work in two of the best sitcoms of all time but this makes me feel absolutely zero anticipation. It’s the weirdest loving thing.

Well they're excellent examples of toxic men on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

oof this Gizmodo review of the new Animaniacs is real bad

quote:

The series fails in part because it didn’t update its nostalgia to make sense for fans who were kids then but are adults now. Instead, it’s stuck in the ‘90s. This presents itself in dated references to things like Seinfeld’s “The dingo ate your baby” and a Cold War-esque view of Russia. During times Animaniacs skews more modern, the satire is not “biting,”—as Dot herself claims in an early episode—it’s weak. At one point, the characters literally have to turn to the camera and explain that the episode’s storyline about multiplying “buns” (bunnies) was actually a commentary on guns. I’ve seen better stuff on TikTok—using the Animaniacs.

It also runs aground with some outdated cultural norms; I watched these episodes on the same day that AP Stylebook, the journalism Bible, put out a notice that terms like “insane,” “crazy,” and “nuts” should not be used in a derogatory way (they’re ableist against people with mental health issues, and it’s generally good practice to avoid them). Animaniacs uses those terms, a lot, much like the series did during its original run. Just fair warning if they make you uncomfortable.

What? Animaniacs making obscure references to pop culture from 40 years earlier! I don't believe it. Also lol at the Appeal to the AP Stylebook. And it's mean about shows she likes

quote:

Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Bojack Horseman, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Infinity Train, and so many others have made huge impacts on culture over the last several years. This is largely thanks to the growing push for diversity behind the scenes, something that was sorely lacking in the days of The Animaniacs. Instead of using satire to make commentary on all the ways animation has both changed and progressed in the years since the series ended, it instead chooses to be mean-spirited—insulting the modern animation style, “cute shows,” and anime. It’s all stuff people like for good reason. Given how often Spielberg has decried the changing media landscape, going so far as to try and prevent streaming movies from Oscar contention, it doesn’t surprise me that Animaniacs would take a similar angle of mockery instead of satire that fits.

This from a retrospective on the original show

quote:

Spielberg’s comment may have been tongue-in-cheek, but it also plays into the kind of criticisms that could be tossed at the show. For all its comedic freedoms, it also can be too esoteric and “entertainment insider-y,” with whole gags and skits requiring specific knowledge of actors, media, politics, or social behavior. Television and film has been producing deep, purposely self-aware material from the beginning, but Animaniacs’ philosophy could be aggressive, hyper-comic satire on almost every aspect of entertainment from throughout its history. Parodies and celebrity putdowns were one thing, but the show’s deep well of jokes even hit radio, social/cultural commentary, fan culture, and the production of the media itself.

Maybe the Gizmodo reviewer has neither seen nor heard of the original show

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 16, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cael posted:

Even if they SAW the show it's clear they missed the point . . .

Like look at the "origin story" here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bpozVvY574

How many kids in the 90's had the slightest clue who those people are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/montie/status/1328449454521856004

Haha what's Gillian doing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That dude is a Leaver so I thought maybe it had her pouring gallons of milk down the storm drain while weeping Scottish children looked on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Uhtred being extremely frustrating is the best part of his character. Motherfucker would be king of all England if he wasn't so stubborn and proud. Alexander Dreymon really sells the emotion of the character as well, I find his actions, while dumb as poo poo, to be completely consistent. He's kind of like a way younger Ned Stark, in the sense he has a sense of honor that he utterly adheres to no matter how many times it fucks up his life.

What did you think was unrealistic in the 3rd season?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh in the game you get penalized for killing nuns and priests, speaking of unrealistic. I'm a loving viking!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Uhtred is the most entitled protagonist I've seen on tv. His dogged charm is the only reason the show isn't cancelled for celebrating toxic masculinity. And his abs.

Literally entitled, an ealdorman of Northumbria!

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1328733633704845314