Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

An OFF cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gonna be hilarious when Iran tests a bomb a year from now and it's Biden's fault

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Correctly demonstrates the political process of the USA

Gaybies nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon

wait, poo poo

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Also there's kind of a difference when one is February and the other is six weeks before the election...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you retain the order they speak instead of switching them around like Gorrell did very clearly and on purpose, it looks way more hypocritical for one particular side.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It is absolutely, positively, not their duty.
In what possible way, by what possible logic, is it their duty

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vib Rib posted:

It is absolutely, positively, not their duty.
In what possible way, by what possible logic, is it their duty

The caption says "if politicians were not hypocrites".

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Gonna be hilarious when Iran tests a bomb a year from now and it's Biden's fault
Iran doesn't have a nuclear weapons program.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Chamale posted:

The caption says "if politicians were not hypocrites".
Yes, and the implication is that both sides are being honest instead of dogmatic, but swapping the viewpoints only underscores how badly one side's argument fails.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Also there's a big difference between 10+ months in an election year and one just a little over a month. They hadn't even gotten the Republican primary wrapped up by then!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vib Rib posted:

Yes, and the implication is that both sides are being honest instead of dogmatic, but swapping the viewpoints only underscores how badly one side's argument fails.

Especially since the Democrats are only saying what the Republicans said - and did - in 2016, while the GOP are now saying and doing the complete opposite of what they said and did then.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Abraham accords are a pest that damages old monuments by flocking on them and making GBS threads acidic poop, while the Iran nuclear deal was so delicious it was hunted to extinction.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Somfin posted:

Sorry, what are you talking about here?

Well that even if Michelle was trans (which she is not, but even if) that shouldn't be a disqualifier for her husband or herself getting the presidency but it's pretty clear that Garrison doesn't believe so. Why?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

An insane mind posted:

Well that even if Michelle was trans (which she is not, but even if) that shouldn't be a disqualifier for her husband or herself getting the presidency but it's pretty clear that Garrison doesn't believe so. Why?

Trying to figure out how you got to "gay" given the inputs.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Somfin posted:

The awful words under the cartoon mention it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Somfin posted:

Republicans believe transwomen are men, and that men who have relationships with them are gay.

"She's a man, baby" is how they reconcile their belief that Barack is gay with his obviously loving heterosexual marriage with two kids and zero evidence of any extramarital affairs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

Republicans believe transwomen are men, and that men who have relationships with them are gay.

"She's a man, baby" is how they reconcile their belief that Barack is gay with his obviously loving heterosexual marriage with two kids and zero evidence of any extramarital affairs.

I know it's all just hateful nonsense that's been made up because of transphobia/homophobia/racism and I shouldn't put any thought into it, but in their fantasy version of the world where did those two kids come from? Are they secretly adopted (plausible), crisis actors (less plausible), or are they mole kids stolen from the underground pizza dungeons (the most ridiculous explanation and thus the one I'm assuming most conspiracy nuts believe)?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah there's a range of conspiracy theories on that, like his kids were secretly adopted and their biological parents are terrorist supersoldiers like Bill Ayers or something. Because terrorism is genetic.

Or that yeah they're trafficked children who are being pimped out on the side or whatever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The kids are actually Obama too. He just moves very fast so as to look like he's in three positions at once.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cat Mattress posted:

The kids are actually Obama too. He just moves very fast so as to look like he's in three positions at once.

Obama chuckled. "You mean my afterimages?"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Found this thread on Twitter of political cartoons from the 60s/70s by Ron Cobb, I think it'll interest many here:

https://twitter.com/supership79/status/1308073383242932224

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Somfin posted:

I mean...this basically? vvvv

VitalSigns posted:

JGdmn posted:

The awful words under the cartoon mention it.

Me believing that transwomen are women doesn't change what Garrison thinks? Or the fact that they just believe Michelle = man because Obamagay? I'm sorry if I annoyed you...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

quote:

WE DO NOT HAVE A FREE PRESS. WE HAVE A BIASED, CORPORATE CONTROLLED PROPAGANDA ARM OF THE DEEP STATE
“We cannot have a self-governing society as was intended for our Republic if the government, with the complicity of the mainstream media, decides that there are things we are not allowed to know about it. President Trump should end the US government’s war on Assange…and on all whistleblowers and their publishers.” —Ron Paul

Dr. Paul, as usual, is right. Western corporate journalism has become so hopelessly politicized that it no longer reports the truth. They have become propaganda arms that aid and abet war and government corruption. They help cover up or obfuscate corruption rather than expose it. Julian Assange is a true journalist who is currently facing barbaric injustice for doing his job. Corporate media has for the most part has shamefully ignored the story.

Julian Assange reported the truth and as a consequence he has been put through Hell—legal and otherwise—as punishment. The Deep State wants him imprisoned for life in America—even though he’s not an American citizen.

Assange needs to be pardoned (even though he has done nothing wrong) and released. President Trump needs to stop listening to Pompeo on this matter and instead listen to American patriots who know the importance of real journalism and its value to our Republic.

Free Assange!

—Ben Garrison

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Wait, so the BBC is part of the Deep State in America?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gordon Shumway posted:

Wait, so the BBC is part of the Deep State in America?

Anything that does not agree with the narrative in their deranged brains is deep state America.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
BBC does have an American news division...

Edit: i mean, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters in a Garrison rant.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Lol at Julian Assange being an unbiased source.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess it’s nice that Garrison at least understands that Breitbart isn’t journalism.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

seiferguy posted:

BBC does have an American news division...

Edit: i mean, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters in a Garrison rant.

In case of BBC world service it's literally designed to be pro-British propaganda dating back to the second world war, though the Brit government is a very different kind of "deep state" (if you can call it that) than Garrison imagines.

Like it's funded separately from the regular BBC and has a different mandate to promote British interests and everything.

Despite all that it often seems less biased than the normal one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Angepain posted:

Found this thread on Twitter of political cartoons from the 60s/70s by Ron Cobb, I think it'll interest many here:

https://twitter.com/supership79/status/1308073383242932224

This is really good. Cobb seems like a super cool guy, I wish we still had his kind. Is also really depressing how the same cartoons could be printed today with equal relevance.

Also go listen to Dead Kennedys' version of I Fought The Law or Police Truck. Less racial, but basically the same point.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Why does Garrison ignore Fox News?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Chirst, this hurts my brain....

So the table is high enough that NYTs needs to sit at it, low enough that MSNBC can rest it's foot at the table and even lower that WaPo can lie on the ground to play cards.

The steps are just as bad. The BBC is so short that 3/4's of it is the height of the steps, yet BuzzFeed is supposed to be the same size and is 2/3's the height of the steps. MSNBC is about 1/2 the height of the steps.

All I'm saying is that Real Journalism is screwed with columns like that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We need to ask the important questions, like "what is that The Atlantic is resting in?"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Whitty and Vallance's TV address to UK — The UK government’s most senior scientists, Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance, have given a televised briefing about the recent increases in coronavirus cases and what to expect"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Police dismiss idea of soldiers on UK streets to enforce Covid rules

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson sets out new restrictions to last 'perhaps six months'

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... the impending second wave

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

We need to ask the important questions, like "what is that The Atlantic is resting in?"

mud?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Discendo Vox posted:

:itwaspoo:

Private Speech posted:

In case of BBC world service it's literally designed to be pro-British propaganda dating back to the second world war, though the Brit government is a very different kind of "deep state" (if you can call it that) than Garrison imagines.
I always find the world service an interesting read in their news app specifically because it appears to try to do user-specific targetting in a particularly spectacularly stupid way. That is, stupid even for an algorithm/AI/whatever driven "smart" whatever. For approximately two years it became convinced I desperately wanted to read an article about a tiny lizard , and had it perpetually pinned to the top of its recommendations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Independent:

This implies that the level of incompetence in the British government was low (or lower with a misleading axis) in the beginning of the year. It's the exact same people (I think at least) being exactly as incompetent as always, it's just that they've been in charge and incompetent during they pandemic. There is no statical correlation of this kind, but there is definitely causation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I didn't know Boris Johnson was a super saiyan.