Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randalor posted:

I still have no idea what the argument he's trying to make is. There's only so many species found in fossils, therefore evolution doesn't exist because...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

If you say one species is the ancestor of another, but you can't find a fossil of an animal that's halfway in between them, then evolution is a lie and God must have created the new species one day*.

And if you do find one of those missing links? Hm well where's the missing link in between those, smart guy, you don't have that therefore evolution is a lie and god did it.

*Unless I'm a young earth creationist, then all the animals were created in one week 4,000 years ago, and the bones you found were planted by Satan to trick me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson's refusal to sack Priti Patel — Boris Johnson drove his own ethics adviser to quit on Friday as he ripped up the rulebook by refusing to sack Priti Patel, despite a formal investigation finding evidence that she bullied civil servants"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Cristofano Allori.

The i paper:

Times:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on… The Rooney-Vardy WAG court battle

Stephen Collins:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Someone edit the uncles name to Ben (Garrison).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Maybe this one? I think the author is now trying to pretend the strip never happened.

It's been I don't know how many years and this one *still* makes no sense to me no matter how many times I look at it.

Maybe if I understood yogurt-oh I might get it or something.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's been I don't know how many years and this one *still* makes no sense to me no matter how many times I look at it.

If evolution were real each and every fossil ever discovered would be a new species, because there's no such thing as a t-rex or a chicken, just the infinite variations between one and the other. Checkmate, sciencetard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Must be a really effective laxative. Tinsley shits himself when he even sees a Latin person.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It basically comes down to believing that the things you learned in elementary school are still 100% true, like most conservative beliefs.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

It’s like a reverse pigeon hole principle. The pigeonhole principle says if you have some discrete system with x variations and you take y observations where x < y then you’ll get duplicates. In the case of Yu GI Oh cards if you have 200 cards and open 400 cards worth of packs then you’ll get duplicates.

So then he’s reversing this and saying that since we dig up multiple fossils for the same species instead of different fossils every time, we must be observing a discrete system. And if it’s a discrete system then evolution is disproven because evolution is continuous.

There’s many reasons why this argument is bad. The main one that comes to mind is that fossils just don’t happen and typically have some sort of event that causes a skeleton to be fossilized. So while the underlying evolution pattern may be continuous, the observations we have are discretized because the natural phenomena that allow us to make the observation causes that discretization. I’m sure there’s more (ie I recall that punctuated evolution was the current prevailing theory but don’t have background to know if that’s true).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
On the other hand,

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

On the other hand,

Works better if he says "beetle".

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ryde posted:

It’s like a reverse pigeon hole principle. The pigeonhole principle says if you have some discrete system with x variations and you take y observations where x < y then you’ll get duplicates. In the case of Yu GI Oh cards if you have 200 cards and open 400 cards worth of packs then you’ll get duplicates.

So then he’s reversing this and saying that since we dig up multiple fossils for the same species instead of different fossils every time, we must be observing a discrete system. And if it’s a discrete system then evolution is disproven because evolution is continuous.

There’s many reasons why this argument is bad. The main one that comes to mind is that fossils just don’t happen and typically have some sort of event that causes a skeleton to be fossilized. So while the underlying evolution pattern may be continuous, the observations we have are discretized because the natural phenomena that allow us to make the observation causes that discretization. I’m sure there’s more (ie I recall that punctuated evolution was the current prevailing theory but don’t have background to know if that’s true).

On an even more fundamental level, the only reason it's discrete is that we invented species to discretize it. We have multiple fossils of the same species because a species is a way of classifying fossils and it wouldn't be a useful classification if every fossil had its own species.

In a way the yugioh card thing is proof of intelligent design, just it was humans designing the taxonomy and not god designing the universe.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

Works better if he says "beetle".

Does it? The crab thing is referring to convergent evolution, how a lot of wildly different animals have evolved into the crab shape over the millennia. I've never heard that about beetles but I wouldn't put it past them.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

there wolf posted:

Does it? The crab thing is referring to convergent evolution, how a lot of wildly different animals have evolved into the crab shape over the millennia. I've never heard that about beetles but I wouldn't put it past them.

I don't think beetles are a convergent phenomenon so much as there are just eight squillion of them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the way dick dorkins puts it is that fossils are like CCTV footage of a crime where you already have fingerprints and dna evidence from the scene, and the creationist argument is basically "ah but there is no footage of what happened before or after the accused loaded his gun menacingly and walked into the room, so you have even less evidence that he committed the crime!"

and then if you find more footage of what happened before or after this just creates another 'gap' that needs 'explaining'

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, there's 400,000 plus, and more discovered all the time.

That comes to about a quarter of all animal species. Just beetles.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I get the arguments creationists use against evolution (as stupid as they are), I just don't get his argument in that comic. The follow up kinda clears it up, but only in the sense that its like trying to look through a mud-covered windshield instead of through a wall of mud.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ungulateman posted:

the way dick dorkins puts it is that fossils are like CCTV footage of a crime where you already have fingerprints and dna evidence from the scene, and the creationist argument is basically "ah but there is no footage of what happened before or after the accused loaded his gun menacingly and walked into the room, so you have even less evidence that he committed the crime!"

and then if you find more footage of what happened before or after this just creates another 'gap' that needs 'explaining'
Another easy way to explain it is that you have pictures of a person growing up, showing that they were a baby, child, and teenager. There’s never going to be a picture or video of them halfway between baby and adult, but you can reasonably infer the adult came from the baby.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pants Donkey posted:

Another easy way to explain it is that you have pictures of a person growing up, showing that they were a baby, child, and teenager. There’s never going to be a picture or video of them halfway between baby and adult, but you can reasonably infer the adult came from the baby.

The creationist argument in this is basically like saying that without a 4K video from birth to death there's no way to know how or if the pictures are connected.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pants Donkey posted:

That's actually a really good example. Most folks will have a few photos from specific events (usually important/interesting events where someone had a camera) but most folks don't take continuous video footage of their entire lives; folks who go to parties or take lots of selfies have a more complete record than folks who don't have their photo taken as often. This is a pretty solid analogy for the tendency of random larger-scale events or periods to preserve batches of things at specific points in the timeline (which will naturally all kind of look the same) and for specific species to be more or less prone to preservation- rather than what the creationist's surface understanding of fossilisation suggests, which is that history randomly selects individual creatures to be preserved at a regular interval across time.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

there wolf posted:

The distinguished British biologist, J.B.S. Haldane, who found himself in the company of a group of theologians. On being asked what one could conclude as to the nature of the Creator from a study of his creation, Haldane is said to have answered, “An inordinate fondness for beetles.”

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/...es%20of%20them.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 22, 2020

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Bert Roberge posted:

The distinguished British biologist, J.B.S. Haldane, who found himself in the company of a group of theologians. On being asked what one could conclude as to the nature of the Creator from a study of his creation, Haldane is said to have answered, “An inordinate fondness for beetles.”

Turns out, there may be more species of parasitic wasp than there are of beetles. Probably by a _lot_.

Here is what Chuck D had to say about that. “I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidæ [parasitic wasps] with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars.”

― Charles Darwin, Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, Vol 1

So, from this, we can determine that God has an even more inordinate fondness for chestbursting wasps than he does for beetles, which might explain a fair bit about about Creation.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 22, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Electronic Tigers is from the very early days of this thread. Mallard Fillmore was still the ostensible subject. Bush was still President. Its creator Mike S. "Hapajap" Miller went "independent" after getting his promising mainstream comics career (he had a run on Superman and some fill-ins on JLA) derailed by his own homophobia, and this was one of the results. It was only ever a webcomic, slowly decayed into pure pin-ups and screeds about Literal Fascist Obama, and now doesn't even exist on the Internet anymore. We did manage to get Hapajap to draw several comics featuring a trucker-cap wearing goon stand-in yelling at him, calling him a human being and being Dumb and So God drat Crazy so he could be Calm and Collected and The Better Man and thus win against his Internet tormentors. He even used the "it was SOMETHING AWFUL" punchline once.

Another project of his was the explicitly political "Right Left Center", which used a premise that suggested he and it were above the usual partisan bickering (an elephant and donkey constantly "clock in" to some sort of semiotic 9-5 job, a la Ralph Wolf and Sam the Sheepdog) but was in fact precisely and inevitably hyper-partisan in favour of the elephant, who was wise and always correct, while the donkey was dumb and goofy-looking. Patrick Alexander's Smartephant and the rear end is an only slightly exaggerated parody.

Anyway he seemingly went bankrupt after falling for multiple scams (most famously "archaea-active Evolv water", but also some arse-minded German eBay knockoff that didn't even hide the fact that it was a pyramid scheme) and apparently went cap in hand back to the mainstream comics companies looking for work. Surprisingly they let him in (he is a fairly talented artist) and currently draws the Injustice tie-in comics for DC. I won't link to it but he's on Twitter with a profile that sneers at Biden, but not too hard lest he lose his job again. Fun fact: Hapajap refers to his racial heritage (Hawaiian-Japanese; "Hapa" is Hawaiian slang for mixed-race), which is also his excuse for drawing himself as the Tokio Kid.

Here are some more of his "greatest" "hits" (that still survive)

1 (that's you, that is)
4 - the footnotes proving that all this is DEFINITELY GOING TO HAPPEN were in the accompanying blogpost
6 (more of the anti-evolution argument)
Had a quick google and lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feOHs18L1DM

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Randalor posted:

I get the arguments creationists use against evolution (as stupid as they are), I just don't get his argument in that comic. The follow up kinda clears it up, but only in the sense that its like trying to look through a mud-covered windshield instead of through a wall of mud.

Remember creationists also believe (or at least espouse) a strawman version of evolution that involves random animals turning from one into the other is the actual theory of evolution.

Never forget the crocoduck

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Another old timer please post the edit of this, on phone, much appreciated

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that the gay abortions one? Is the worst-of-year cartoon competition still called the gay abortions award?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that the gay abortions one? Is the worst-of-year cartoon competition still called the gay abortions award?
Nah, though I'm always happy to see it. Also I remember discussion of a name change at beginning of year but I don't think a decision was made.

I'm talking about the the one we're he forgot

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 22, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lol:

https://bentcorner.com/mike-s-miller-burns-copy-of-ethan-van-scivers-cyberfrog/

quote:

Professional comic book artist Mike S. Miller made a video in which he and his special-needs son burned a copy of Ethan Van Sciver’s Cyberfrog. The reason? Because Miller, a self-proclaimed follower of Jesus, hates Van Sciver.

The two men used to be e-friends. Van Sciver got Miller into Comicsgate and crowdfunding comics after opportunities with mainstream comic publishers dried up. Things began to go south with Miller and Van Sciver when Miller began spreading his anti-gay bigotry on social media and Van Sciver privately called him out on it.

When it was clear Ethan Van Sciver didn’t support Mike S. Miller’s views on gay people, he left Comicsgate and ended his relationship with Van Sciver. He wasn’t alone. Doug TenNapel, another anti-gay follower of Jesus, also left the warm embrace of Comicsgate and ended his e-friendship with Van Sciver. He even said in a video that the reason he joined Comicsgate was that he was looking for some “manly men” to help fight against the rainbow flag.

Miller and TenNapel’s rejection of Comicsgate and Van Sciver came after the two were able to make a lot of money because of Comicsgate and Van Sciver. Before Comicsgate, Miller had trouble buying groceries for his family and was about to lose his house. With e-friends like Miller and TenNaple, who needs e-enemies?

I don’t know who Van Scriver is, but he seems like a piece of poo poo even if he broke with his buddies on the question of whether gay people are human.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, there's 400,000 plus, and more discovered all the time.

That comes to about a quarter of all animal species. Just beetles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/parasitic-wasps-dominate-the-animal-kingdom/557348/

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Lol:

I dont know who Van Scriver is, but he seems like a piece of poo poo even if he broke with his buddies on the question of whether gay people are human.

It made me so sad when I found out TenNapel is a pile of poo poo. I loved EWJ and Neverhood. :(

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Bert Roberge posted:

as someone with a degree in forestry I can assure you trees are just as loving weird. probs my personal favorite wtf tree thing is the water oaks. you know how in elder scrolls, the bretons are literally a "mongrel race" and the result of various humans and elves crossbreeding? Yeah water oaks are that, but for oaks. This is sometimes a problem because a novice might mistake a water oak for a live oak, when planting an important circle at a university, say, and mistakenly plant water oaks (avg lifespan 80 years) instead of live oaks (avg lifespan 800 years) and boy that'd be an embarrassment 80 years later huh?!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Bert Roberge posted:

Look, the God of Evolution just likes to create new beetles as a hobby. It calms Him down. :itisadiscworldreference:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lol:

I don’t know who Van Scriver is, but he seems like a piece of poo poo even if he broke with his buddies on the question of whether gay people are human.

I don't see how what you wrote follows the bolded? He and Miller networked online, and Miller was having issues getting his issues published. Van Scriver helped him to get set up with with a different approach to getting his comics out and making money. Van Scriver then later noticed that Miller had some rather unsavory views, and they severed ties with each other. Unless there's something more to the story, it just looks like someone helping a colleague out, and then later finding out that their colleague is actually an rear end in a top hat.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't see how what you wrote follows the bolded? He and Miller networked online, and Miller was having issues getting his issues published. Van Scriver helped him to get set up with with a different approach to getting his comics out and making money. Van Scriver then later noticed that Miller had some rather unsavory views, and they severed ties with each other. Unless there's something more to the story, it just looks like someone helping a colleague out, and then later finding out that their colleague is actually an rear end in a top hat.

"Comicgate" isn't a company or whatever. It's gamergate but for comics

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fool of sound posted:

"Comicgate" isn't a company or whatever. It's gamergate but for comics

Ah, nevermind then.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I only vaguely keep up with comicsgate nonsense, but Van Scriver angled pretty hard to position himself as THE comicsgate creator. If I recall correctly, his career was doing pretty poorly, got a brief boost after announcing the ultimate anti-SJW superhero that would own the libs or whatever, and then he proceeded to slowly lose that income because when your brand is driven mostly by spite you can only keep the cash coming for so long. If anything, breaking with Miller and TenNapel seems like it was mostly about optics, since vocal fundamentalist homophobes don't mesh with the "the REAL minorities don't want any of this SJW pandering tokenism" message Van Scriver (and other -gate types that try to appeal to a broader audience than just the alt-right core) is trying to put out.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Sometimes I worry about the cartoonist for the Australian Financial Review

https://twitter.com/roweafr/status/1330332994934980608

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jagged Jim posted:

Look, the God of Evolution just likes to create new beetles as a hobby. It calms Him down. :itisadiscworldreference:

More beetles for the beetle god

- evolution

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

VitalSigns posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

If you say one species is the ancestor of another, but you can't find a fossil of an animal that's halfway in between them, then evolution is a lie and God must have created the new species one day*.

And if you do find one of those missing links? Hm well where's the missing link in between those, smart guy, you don't have that therefore evolution is a lie and god did it.

*Unless I'm a young earth creationist, then all the animals were created in one week 4,000 years ago, and the bones you found were planted by Satan to trick me

My favorite use of the god of the gaps argument comes from Futurama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICv6GLwt1gM

Also fun thing to note though the theory of evolution through natural selection is his most well know observation more of Darwin's life work was based on the study of worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

logger posted:

Also fun thing to note though the theory of evolution through natural selection is his most well know observation more of Darwin's life work was based on the study of worms.

Another one of his lifelong studies was: "How does this exotic animal taste?"