Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lolll "This Irish guy, Italian woman, and Puerto Rican woman are against catholicism!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grape posted:

lolll "This Irish guy, Italian woman, and Puerto Rican woman are against catholicism!!!"

Joe Biden went to Catholic School himself lol

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

drat they're strong. I'd vote for them.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

What is this obsession with cheating at debates? What advantage does Pat Cross think that would give? The campaigns know what the questions are in advance because they read the news. If you've ever seen a presidential debate, you know that the specific phrasing a question is completely irrelevant because the candidate has prepared and memorized a statement on the X most pressing issues of the moment, and come hell or high water they are going to deliver each of those statements.

It's not loving Whose Line

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grape posted:

it'll never not be funny to see 'these mostly catholic people (or maybe all 3, not sure AOC's deal tbh) are going to murder the catholics' ~ a protestant

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

sexpig by night posted:

it'll never not be funny to see 'these mostly catholic people (or maybe all 3, not sure AOC's deal tbh) are going to murder the catholics' ~ a protestant

Even if AOC isn't practicing she probably has like a gently caress dozen relatives that are, and isn't some kind of atheist killbot or whatever lol.

Trust me, lapsed Catholic world (very very similar to secular Jew world) is a funny place where you simultaneously...

1. Bitch about the religion, it's creepy hosed aspects, and what you had to do growing up.
2. Defend it like gently caress against the WASPs when they amble over to take potshots, and/or claim it as their own.

I'm mostly describing my dad.
But I grew up in a Unitarian Universalist "church" in the NYC area. Which was basically wall to wall lapsed Catholics and secular Jews, and one could scarcely tell where one ended and the other began.

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 10, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grape posted:

Even if AOC isn't practicing she probably has like a gently caress dozen relatives that are, and isn't some kind of atheist killbot or whatever lol.

yea obviously it's hilarious either way, these people are just like Dry Bones thinking the worst antisemitic people are actually Jews who say 'uh Israel seems like they're doing bad things'.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I think the cartoonist for catholicvote.org might not be a protestant.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oh, I didn't know Sid Meier had a statue

he probably still deserved to be taken down for the way that the treatment of American natives and, uh, indentured servants were brushed under the rug in Sid Meier's Colonization, but Civilization is a good game series

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

betaraywil posted:

What is this obsession with cheating at debates? What advantage does Pat Cross think that would give? The campaigns know what the questions are in advance because they read the news. If you've ever seen a presidential debate, you know that the specific phrasing a question is completely irrelevant because the candidate has prepared and memorized a statement on the X most pressing issues of the moment, and come hell or high water they are going to deliver each of those statements.

Chuds fuckin' love the debate format, man. It lets them play out the fantasy where not only are your lovely bigoted opinions respected by default, but if you are strong enough in the Battle of Minds, you can convince entire rooms that they are correct, and leave your opponent sniveling and humiliated. It's their version of liberals who are obsessed with the West Wing; they view debates as moral smackdowns where the conservative opinion is obviously the correct one.

They've developed this obsession to the point where if a liberal does well in a debate, it's OBVIOUSLY because they cheated, because their opinions are degenerate and they're big dumb stupid idiots.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:yeah:
:hellyeah:
:yosnice:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grape posted:

Trust me, lapsed Catholic world (very very similar to secular Jew world) is a funny place where you simultaneously...

1. Bitch about the religion, it's creepy hosed aspects, and what you had to do growing up.
2. Defend it like gently caress against the WASPs when they amble over to take potshots, and/or claim it as their own.

I'm mostly describing my dad.
But I grew up in a Unitarian Universalist "church" in the NYC area. Which was basically wall to wall lapsed Catholics and secular Jews, and one could scarcely tell where one ended and the other began.

UU is basically "spiritual but not religious" the religion.

Hanno
May 2, 2007
Ultisnecious
it's amazing how unironically good the outcomes depicted of most of those are

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everyone I know who went to Catholic schools is an atheist now or at least does not make a public spectacle of their personal religion, and most people I know who went to public schools are very overtly religious so

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

betaraywil posted:

If you're doing Pat Cross, I'm gonna make this a cursed page and check in with Sean DeLonas:

I would love to know where conservatives' dividing line on "too old" is. Joe Biden is three and a half years older than Donald Trump. How old, conservatives, do you think Trump is going to be in four years? If being that old is disqualifying for a President, why are you supporting him now?

The answer is "just slightly older than my candidate".

9 Gaybies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon

And since we're doing this, I present the dumbest man on the internet:

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1290033058838482945

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1290045234278146048

(Bonus: he forgot to take the Memorial Day poppy out of his avatar.)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

And since we're doing this, I present the dumbest man on the internet:

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1290033058838482945

https://twitter.com/RobSmithJr/status/1290045234278146048

(Bonus: he forgot to take the Memorial Day poppy out of his avatar.)

I clicked to see how dumb the responses were and found that there are none because nobody gives a poo poo about this idiot except us. That's kind of satisfying.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kit Walker posted:

Hm, yes, the first animal I think of when I think of "animals that change color to blend in with their environment" is the octopus. It's also the first thing I think of when I think of octopuses

That's because people don't know enough about octopuses and how they are total masters of disguise with many species capable of mimicking not only the color, but also the texture of the what's around them including the movement of currents and light through the water. Chameleons don't even change color to blend in with their environment. :colbert:

:black101:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Oh I did a lovely edit for this one adn then forgot about it because imgur was down.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

These statues appear in the order:
1. Jefferson
2. Jefferson
3. Washington (but also clearly Jefferson)
4. Lincoln

The order is neither chronological nor alphabetical.

Grape posted:

Isn't is so weird? Even the theology people who definitely know better about the "Catholics were oppressed too!" stuff get drawn in and then they get embarrassed about it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Agreed, the cities need to move left.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I would love to know where conservatives' dividing line on "too old" is. Joe Biden is three and a half years older than Donald Trump. How old, conservatives, do you think Trump is going to be in four years? If being that old is disqualifying for a President, why are you supporting him now?

The answer is "just slightly older than my candidate".

Much though I hate to be fair towards conservatives, Trump (if re-elected) would be within a year of leaving the White House at the age at which Biden would be entering for the first time. Really, they're both too old - Trump was older than Reagan, and Reagan was falling apart during his second term - but the Boomers just are not going to let go of the reins until they're all in a box.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Republicans and a shocking number of others still believe that older just means smarter despite evidence that's almost completely contradictory. Though that doesn't stop them from using disingenuous arguments about age because nothing will ever stop that and it's literally keeping the party afloat.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Hm, yes, the first animal I think of when I think of "animals that change color to blend in with their environment" is the octopus. It's also the first thing I think of when I think of octopuses

If you're implying that he should've said chameleon, chameleons don't actually do that. They mostly change colour to help regulate their body temperature and as communication. I'm here for replacing "chameleon" with "octopus" in this context, as octopuses do actually do this thing and they're very good at it.

It's a lovely cartoon in all other ways, but I'll stand by this word choice.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

RoboRodent posted:

If you're implying that he should've said chameleon, chameleons don't actually do that. They mostly change colour to help regulate their body temperature and as communication. I'm here for replacing "chameleon" with "octopus" in this context, as octopuses do actually do this thing and they're very good at it.

It's a lovely cartoon in all other ways, but I'll stand by this word choice.

I made the very deliberate decision not to read the comic before this turned into Cool Animal Chat, and Jesus this comic hurts my heart.

Fishman really thinks that putting money into Native communities is so absurd that it's a punchline.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Why is the car peaceful and the stone mostly. Is the stone a metaphor for mostly

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

seiferguy posted:

edit: some were really large for some reason so timg'd them

If you add an "h" (for "huge") at the end of the file name (but before the extension, obviously), imgur will provide a thumbnail resized to be no larger than 1024 in either dimension. With an "l" (for "larger"), it'll be a thumbnail resized to be no larger than 640.

e.g. for the third comic (the first that's excessively big):

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

betaraywil posted:

I made the very deliberate decision not to read the comic before this turned into Cool Animal Chat, and Jesus this comic hurts my heart.

I'm sorry, I always get really excited about Cool Animal Chat.

Fishman is real garbage. I think I wanted to focus on cool cephalopods more. :sigh:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

In the DC area, the debate over the name has been going on for decades, hitting new highs just a few years ago when the owner swore he would never change the name, and the Washington Post changed it's editorial style to never refer to the team by their name (granted, on the Sports page they still called it that so it was largely symbolic), so I can't help but see the "as soon as you feel threatened" part to be coming from the perspective of someone who doesn't really know the issue and views this as a knee-jerk PC response from Dan Snyder.

It was honestly a pleasant surprise to me when they said they were finally changing it, and I have little doubt that FedEx threatening to sever the relationship with the team heavily influenced the decision, seeing as how it came right after that.

Edit regarding Cool Animal Chat: In my opinion, Fishman should have used Cuttlefish.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

They've developed this obsession to the point where if a liberal does well in a debate, it's OBVIOUSLY because they cheated, because their opinions are degenerate and they're big dumb stupid idiots.

I dunno why all these motherfuckers have forgotten that rhetoric and sophistry exist, making it very easy to both argue compellingly for complete shite, and win the stupid games that are formalised debates.

I guess that's why there obsessed with 30 year old media professionals """destroying""" nervous looking left wing teenagers; you can pretty much justify anything from that angle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Not to give him credit, but it does work because octopuses are also spineless.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

While we're on Cool Animal Chat: Octopuses are extremely intelligent predators who have a variety of attack and defense strategies. It would be an unironically good name for a sports team if it weren't for the faux pedants who think it should be "Octopi" or the slightly more correct ones who think it should be "Octopodes". (It's "Octopuses" in English. :colbert:)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Priti Patel's plan to use the navy to stop migrant crossings – The home secretary is considering deploying the Royal Navy to intercept boats in the Channel"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Nearly 40% of A-level result predictions to be downgraded in England

Independent:

Ministers urged to help schools with Covid measures after call for routine tests rejected

Times:

Priti Patel calls on French to return migrant boats

Evening Standard:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
AOC is herself a Catholic.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-faith_n_5e580e16c5b6450a30bbd0f7

AOC posted:

She said it strikes her that “if Christ himself walked through these doors and said what he said thousands of years ago ― that we should love our neighbor and our enemy, that we should welcome the stranger, fight for the least of us, that it is easier ... for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into a kingdom of heaven ― he would be maligned as a radical and rejected from these doors.”

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Knight:

Victoria is running a new ad campaign featuring people who had the virus.
Grim Reaper 1987 AIDS campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U219eUIZ7Qo
The 1987 ad didn't feature a TV floating in the smoke.

Rowe:

Spooner:

Let the economy run free.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

5 Pulitzer-Prize winner Mike Ramirez going for the straight-up old-timey racism, I see

And over in this other room, we have the Republicans' COVID-19 pl-- whoops, this locked door is marked, "Fortune 500 only."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Someone told him to take a break from straw man diversity training?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

sounds more entertaining to watch tbh

on a suspicion i checked and--not counting the shading--everyone has exactly the same skin color: #FEAA53

FFT fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 11, 2020

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Two panels of "so...", one totally empty panel, and no attempt at a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

betaraywil posted:

now I'm not saying it would be good to have presidential candidates do an improv show, but it would be a far more reliable judge of character than which one can produce talking points more convincingly