Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Maybe skip a few whiskeys Tuesday evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Fishman was bad enough we don't need Stantis guest com- wait this was TINSLEY :laffo:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously, what kinda ethnicity is she supposed to represent?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alhazred posted:

EGA Graphics-American.

I think they used that shade for South Americans in Marvel comics.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alhazred posted:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmbiguouslyBrown

quote:

Tom Hanks: Dwayne, together we would get 100% of the vote. I would get the senior vote, because I fought in World War II in like ten different movies.

Dwayne Johnson: And I of course would get the minority vote, because everyone just assumes I am whatever they are.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
look there's no way the duck is going to vote for biden, so sure, throw away your trump vote on someone else, good for you duck man

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
You’d think they’d be happy about getting to choose between two right-wing candidates

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

What the gently caress

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I, too, frequented 4chan in 2009

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

He's going for "she'll be the one to right the ship."

Note that this doesn't make more sense than anything anyone else was saying, because there was already a "conservative" majority. But something something the blind, ravenous pursuit of power for which the hunger is insatiable.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think he was just so in love with drawing a nautical themed shift to the right he didn't think it through.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Political Cartoons 2020: what the fug is going on here and why does id smell so delishus

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Alhazred posted:

Chantel is supposed to be African-American, but for the last decade or so the colorist has been giving her a grey skin tone and nobody seems to know why. I like the theory that she's secretly a drow.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

She's more ambiguously grey.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

What's Ramirez saying here? The supreme court is veering violently to the left because of Barrett? Is the supreme court sinking? :confused:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

VKing posted:

What's Ramirez saying here? The supreme court is veering violently to the left because of Barrett? Is the supreme court sinking? :confused:

The opposite: the ship of state is dangerously unbalanced to the right because of Barrett's confirmation. It's weirdly not-terrible coming from Ramirez (which is why I expect to be told why, in fact, it's awful or have someone quote that "hand it to them" dril tweet any minute now).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

The opposite: the ship of state is dangerously unbalanced to the right because of Barrett's confirmation. It's weirdly not-terrible coming from Ramirez (which is why I expect to be told why, in fact, it's awful or have someone quote that "hand it to them" dril tweet any minute now).

It is more that people are confused as the very obvious read of this comic goes against everything the author believes in.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hunt11 posted:

It is more that people are confused as the very obvious read of this comic goes against everything the author believes in.

Its not a good cartoon, but it's a Good Cartoon, in that he's saying "Barret on the court will bring the court to the right. This is a good thing. Like this ship, which is falling over to the right."

Now, a reasonable person would say, "Wait, isn't it bad for a ship to fall over? Like, wond people die of that happens?"

And the response is, "Congratulations, you've put more thought into it than Ramirez."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ramirez is just doing the disingenuous bullshit Republicans always do (that liberals love to fall for). Two seconds after waging a relentless partisan battle to break every rule and grab power by hook or by crook, they go "oh what a shame that everything is so partisan, let's all agree to stop being partisan right now and freeze the balance of power exactly where it is"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

As someone who literally works on boats for a living:
Yeah, if you steer a boat way too hard to the port/left, it will list to the right like in the Ramirez, so steering hard to the starboard/right would in fact balance it back out, assuming you weren't past the point of no return.

That said, it's still a stupid loving visual and AGC because for fucks sakes, they're sliding to the right AFTER they say that ACB has arrived, so all a normal person is going to see is the ship listing even further to the right already. It'd be like immediately expecting people to know you meant Stage Right instead of regular Right.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

the_steve posted:

Yeah, if you steer a boat way too hard to the port/left, it will list to the right like in the Ramirez, so steering hard to the starboard/right would in fact balance it back out, assuming you weren't past the point of no return.

That said, it's still a stupid loving visual and AGC because for fucks sakes, they're sliding to the right AFTER they say that ACB has arrived, so all a normal person is going to see is the ship listing even further to the right already. It'd be like immediately expecting people to know you meant Stage Right instead of regular Right.

Yeah all the best visual metaphors require the trained eye of a seasoned mariner.

He's so goddam bad at this.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So what you're saying is that the boater demographic is the one that matters most. Checkmate, libs :smug:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
in this metaphor the giant boat represents the supreme court while the captain and first mate are literal.

they're the literal captain and first mate of the metaphorical supreme court boat.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson: a gruelling ordeal – Boris Johnson is coming under pressure from all quarters to reverse his position on extending free school meals" After George Cruikshank.

Telegraph:

Welsh government to review ban on sales of non-essentials

Independent:

‘Tier 4’: Matt Hancock declines to rule out introduction of new level of Covid restrictions

Times:

Evening Standard:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Notice the "mene mene tekel upharsin" graffiti, which is the proverbial writing on the wall.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Notice the "mene mene tekel upharsin" graffiti, which is the proverbial writing on the wall.

certainly a detail you'd never seen in a US comic

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Looks that they also are going full speed backwards (astern) on the closest engine order telegraph.
It fits well with the theme thought.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

Goddamn I love this forum and its frequent "hey I actually do this, here's what's going on"

I think that this just shows that Ramirez has way, way more experience with boats than most of us.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Jerking From Home"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Jerking From Home"

Goddamn how does he keep knocking it out of the park

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Chantel is supposed to be African-American, but for the last decade or so the colorist has been giving her a grey skin tone and nobody seems to know why. I like the theory that she's secretly a drow.

Every time this comes up I think about creating some WOW parody but I don't know enough about it to figure out what the angry duck conservative would be in that game.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Former PM Kevin Rudd has started a petition for a royal commission in News Corp's dominance in Australian media, former PM Malcolm Turnbull has signed on. About 400K people have signed on, but don't expect the government to actually act on it despite how big it gets.

Rowe:

Knight:

As Melbourne re-opens Victoria had a "double donut" over the last two days (a "donut" day being zero cases, zero deaths).

Wilcox 1:

Wilcox draws Dan Andrews like he's fifteen.

Wilcox 2:

While Dan Andrews was opening the state of Victoria, this was happening:
50 arrests as controversy rages over felling of Djab Wurrung tree at Western Highway upgrade site (ABC)

Katauskas:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Downes:

Tasmania is opening up to interstate visitors.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Cloud Potato should have included Squires in today's brittoons post because it's political and also great:

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Jerking From Home"

This is a loving masterpiece right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Pilchenstein posted:

Cloud Potato should have included Squires in today's brittoons post because it's political and also great:

A very good comic.