Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can make the gay abortions thread, but I'm going to ax like 90% of the categories because this is a ridiculous amount of time and effort spent on political cartoons.

It'll be: Worst Cartoon of the Year, Best Edit of the Year, Worst Cartoon of the Decade (nominees will be from prior Gaybies), Best Edit of the Decade (ditto).

That's it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We got Cartoon Sign!

You know they were gonna jack over this for a bit.

Ugh.

The Senate is corrupt and we can naught but drink our woes away.

Now remember, not everyone can respond with "Lowtax?"

Why the gently caress is Chewie there? He's not even going to be in any major Star Wars media in 2020.

It'd be really cool if you actually cared about the rich being above the law, as opposed to just jumping on a bandwagon because one of the Clintons may be involved.

Dude even Biden has competitive numbers against Trump.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

i don't even know if there's anything to be gained from Dees. The man is literally mentally ill and, while he does espouse similar Nazi poo poo as other cartoonists, it's hard to really put it under the microscope like Stonetoss or other poo poo that's trying to penetrate the mainstream with their 1488 dogwhistles. Dees cartoons are just nightmarish poo poo that make it very clear from the start that he's a foil hat type.

Yeah, every so often he makes a :black101: cartoon and we lament his missed calling as a metal album artist, but otherwise it's just gross photoshops from a deranged anti-Semite.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m mostly posting this because it’s the first time I can recall a right-wing transphobic cartoonist acknowledging trans men. Yay for...equal bigotry?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It is 2020, and Garrison holds onto his dream

Ben Scarysson posted:

Who Wears it Scarier?

For a long while I’ve predicted that Hillary Clinton would run again in 2020.

I’m surprised she didn’t announce late last year, but she did have some sort of ‘procedure’ to remove many of her wrinkles. She did this to make herself appear more youthful for her next run. The left praised her new look while others, including myself, thought she looked terrifying. He smooth, plump cheeks are now even more bulging. The missing bags under her eyes have somehow given her a maniacal stare. It’s truly frightening—Hillary is scarier than the Medusa herself.

I still expect Hillary to run, but it might not occur until the convention. Hillary is lazy—she wants things rigged. She wants things done automatically behind the scenes. She hates mingling with common people. She’s too aloof and above it all. She’s not good at speeches due to her cough. She would never want to conduct a lot of rallies similar to what Trump has done. For one thing, Trump genuinely enjoys speaking to packed crowds. Hillary would never be able to attract such crowds unless she paid them.

She rigged her nomination the last time—why would anyone be surprised if she didn’t do it again? There will probably be some sort of deadlock that will occur among the delegates. The compromise and solution? Why, draft Hillary—of course! She will be demurring as she is begged to become their nominee. Finally and reluctantly, she will agree. It will be promoted as a miraculous and exciting event among the fake news media. She will have avoided all the hard work of campaigning while collecting the reward. She will simply snatch the nomination amid cheers and the claim that she’s the only one capable of defeating Trump.

If this happens she will lose again because she’s fundamentally unlikeable. She’s ugly inside and out.
Just obsessing over a woman’s looks and criticizing her cough while inventing a new conspiracy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Progress is being made on transplants for trans women fertility. Gonna be an amazing time when the first trans woman gives birth. Goalposts flying everywhere.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Welllllllll, candidate who was so unpopular they didn't bother to run then swooped in and stole it with convention shenanigans is something that has actually happened before so it's pretty grounded in comparison to his usual conspiracy theories.
I know you’d never go broke betting against the Democrats’ self-awareness, but if the DNC is so out of touch that they put up Clinton in a contested convention then they may as well cancel the primary, concede the election, and allow a new party with a clue to rise.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Problem of Evil is a lot easier when you can just answer “God is a psychopath.”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It took nine years, but Lester finally gives us the squeakquel:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dunno why people say Stantis is gonna vote for Trump when we know he's gonna vote for whatever embarrassment the Libertarians dig up this year. I see John McAfee is running, and oooooh Stantis beating the drum for Vermin Supreme would make Prickly City interesting for the first time since he decided to speak out against waterboarding in like...2004.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Welcome friends, to a distant time back in...

We're going to start with a look at the fallen. The primary candidates whose star burned out back in 2011, but they were hilarious enough to merit discussion before we jump into 2012 itself. So get comfy, and let's begin:

Cain 1
Here it is: the flash in the pizza pan campaign of Herman Cain. It's time.

Cain 2
Cain was rising in popularity, and he did have the poll numbers to back it up. Did the GOP have its Obama?

Cain 3
Cain's experience was that he owned a pizza chain. Other business experience too, but everyone focused on pizza chains. Lots of goddamn pizza cartoons I'm sparing you from.

Cain 4
Just a reminder that Gorrell was somehow lazier in 2011. Yeesh

Cain 5

Cain 6
Okay, enough messing around. Cain's shtick was his 9-9-9 plan, which was a 9% rate for Sales, Income, and Corporate Tax. If you are familiar with the Fair Tax, 9-9-9 was another GOP plan to massively slash taxes for the rich under the disguise of a It's So Simple and Easy tax plan to try and rope in the lower classes who'd be footing the bill.

Cain :stonk:
You knew this was coming. One reason they loved Cain is because they can show how Democrats are the REAL racists. This McCoy Lesser cartoon was released when news first hit about women coming forward to accuse Cain of a slew of sexual crimes.

Cain 7
Surprisingly, cartoonists who had been kissing his rear end didn't take too long to turn.

Cain 8
:pants:

Cain 9-9-9
Around late November, Cain would "reassess his campaign" and pretty much gently caress off. Cain gets the most coverage here because things went so fast from adoration to Memory Hole. He's also a new face in a primary that was mostly microwaved leftovers from 2008. But don't worry, Trump gave him a seat on the Federal Reserve back in early 2019 :suicide:

Christie 1
Chris Christie was a rising star in the GOP, but we'll discuss his downfall and eventual future as a 2016 Vine joke later.

Christie 2
Yes, I am posting this because I had to endure 500 Occupy Wall Street cartoons and am left with a need to inflict suffering.

Rick 1
Rick Perry's brief primary run was a hilarious comedy of errors. First, he released this...thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzONeK1OwQ

Rick 2
Then he had an absolutely embarrassing debate performance. It's 2011 now, so Youtube has better preserved these moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN8uFJz9gTk

Rick 3
Seriously, so loving lazy.

Rudy & Fred
These jokers got more buzz in the previous election, although I think Muir was super horny for Fred even in 2011. It's worth noting that even in 2011, Rudy's reputation was fading, and it would have been wise for him to just coast on the Brave Mayor feel-good vibes the public had for him after 9/11. But I guess scumbags have a natural instinct for the gutter.

Mitch
Mitch Daniels was...really popular among some conservatives? I dunno, he never even registered on my radar back then, but he's a former governor of Indiana and I guess pissed off conservatives by wanting to take the focus away from social issues so they can knuckle down on what really matters: making the rich even richer. In May 2011 he declined to run after much speculation.

Palin
Palin flirted with running for a period, but eventually she nixed it to almost nobody's interest. At this point her political resume included a failed vice presidency campaign, abandoning a governorship halfway into the term for no discernible reason, and...a short-lived reality TV series? Yeah, she knew the real money wasn't in politics; not when you can just blather on Fox for 15 minutes for easy checks.

Trump 1
I guess I can't avoid bringing this up. Yes, Trump tried throwing his hat in the ring back in 2012. What a joke!

Trump 2
His mulling over running was seen as a vanity campaign. Good thing the GOP is full of vain creatures.

Trump 3
If Trump's campaign had any substance, if we assume literally anything counts as "substance", then it was his revival of the birther phenomenon. But the conspiracy had lost mainstream appeal among conservatives, and it didn't help that Obama released the goddamn long form birth certificate within a WEEK of Osama bin Laden's death. So yes Virginia, there was a period in time when Trump was seen as a clown by most of the country. And yes, there were 50 "hurr where's the death certificate" cartoons.

Trump 4
I...don't remember this, but I guess at one point Trump was going to moderate a primary debate in December. That, however, would require effort and focus on people who are not Trump, so he dipped.

Trump 5
It was tempting to do a “What a difference eight years make.” montage showing these cartoonists dismissing Trump as a grifter, and then present their cartoons today as they burn what scraps of dignity they have left to defend his crimes.

Trump 6
Branco, however, never had dignity so this parses.

Trump 7
So farewell to thee, Trump. You'll come back in four years, and next time you'll make sure to bring hip and cool racism.

That’s it for 2011. Some people like Bachmann also tried and failed, but this post is already massive. I wanted to start the feature with a bang, however, so I hope you enjoyed this chunky post.

Next Week: Everyone Hates Romney! Rick Santorum forces me to discuss Dan Savage. Do you remember when Iran got nukes in 2011? Hollering about Merrick Garland a lot. And a New England Patriot worse than Tom Brady.

Yes, I know he was with the Broncos during that season, shut up.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

The 2012 Republican primaries were great. It was a parade of idiots, each being the next THIS IS THE GUY followed quickly by their downfall as Republicans went through candidate after candidate searching for the not-Romney before they all settled finally on Romney.
As we'll see, Mitt won the primary in part because :newt: was too stubborn to drop out, going very broke keeping his flagging campaign alive, and stealing votes from other hard-right candidates.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That Obama cartoon was the second Iran cartoon Garrison did this week. The first one was uh...

Garrison posted:

Our military took out their leader shortly thereafter. I’ve heard some say Trump is keeping Americans safe. That’s great, but why are so many Americans still in Iraq after all these years? Why are we in Syria? Why are we allies with a backward kingdom named Saudi Arabia?

That country beheads people for merely questioning their government. They use their oil money to spread Wahhabism, a radical form of Islam that breeds terrorism.

Iran is our enemy because they practice a different form of Islam and they hate us because our CIA conducted a coup against their Prime Minister. Mosaddegh wanted to nationalize the oil companies operating in his country, so he had to go. He was replaced with the Shah, and his brutality led to a revolution in the late 1970s. Iran has been run by Islamic fanatics who hate America since then.

President H. W. Bush and his son W. were both Skull and Bones men and war criminals. They got American troops in the Middle East using false flags and blatant lies. Millions of lives and trillions of dollars lost later—we’re still there—and in Afghanistan as well.

Iranian citizens suffer from a poor economy and harsh repression. They are not happy, and so the ruling Mullahs keep the fires of hate against America burning as a distraction. They must also think America is weak. After all, Obama gave them billions of dollars and John Kerry was happy to genuflect to Iran’s rulers. They made a ridiculous deal in the hopes they could keep Iran’s nuclear ambitions in check. Of course Iran kept right on going with their nuclear weapons program—just like the North Koreans did after cutting a sweetheart deal with the Clinton administration.

Our founding fathers wanted us to avoid foreign entanglements. Leaders such as the Bushes ignored their advice and so now we have permanent war in an area with a history of tribal warfare going back centuries. Those conflicts will never end. We should not be in the middle of it all—we are supposedly energy independent now. It’s time to let the countries in the Middle East battle it out on their own without us paying for it with American dollars and lives.

Bring the troops home!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

am I having a stroke or did garrison admit that the anti-us animus in iran is completely justified and condemn it as fanaticism in the same rant
Garrison dabbles in cognitive dissonance as a musician may with harmonies.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

God how quick these “Trump RUDE” people turn to Daddy’s aid.

It’s nice to see that Gerald has some kind of life outside telling liberals how dumb they are. Don’t let Ramirez shame you, dude: you rock that Cap cosplay.

There’s...there’s a lot here.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Uhhh
:wtc:
I assume this is something about trying to pit PoC and LGBT minorities against each other?
My assumption was having to hide who you are around certain people.

Or it’s mentioning the secret, horrifying metamorphosis we undergo before coming out. There is twisting of bone, discarding of flesh, and blood.

Oh so much blood.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

So the takeaways here are that:
1. Cosplayers and/or fans of American comics go to Hell
2. Captain America is a terrorist
It’s the alternate Captain America from that dumb comic where he was a secret Nazi.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ben Garrison posted:

HOLLYWOOD CAN’T TAKE A JOKE

Ricky Gervais hosted the Golden Globe Awards and during his opening monologue he lambasted the degenerate culture that is Hollywood.

A lot of what he said has been obvious to the general public for years, but will the actors listen to an insider?

Probably not, but they will have to pay attention to a lack of money as ticket sales dwindle.

A great many Americans are fed up with famous actors who lecture us on social issues, climate change, and how we should lead our lives while they lead a life of decadence in Hollywood.

Fame is not necessarily synonymous with intelligence.

Anthony Hopkins knows this. He recently said actors are ‘pretty stupid’ and should avoid talking about politics and other issues.

Globe winner Michelle Williams did not heed Hopkin’s advice and talked about her abortion and how she had no regrets about it. Is that what people want to hear from an actor giving an acceptance speech?

Such a speech may attract far left ticket buyers, but what about the rest of America? It’s the same with De Niro. Many liked his acting before he opened up his trap and began yelling obscenities at the president. De Niro in particular needs to listen to Hopkins.

Kudos to Ricky Gervais for speaking truth to Hollywood.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Ricky Gervais becomes one of those “You FORCED me to become this!” conservatives. Naturally right wingers love him very suddenly for some reason, and despite his whining he’s still an egotistical Hollywood type.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People likely died, so maybe don’t be weird.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Michael Moore-bidly Obese is a fatty fat fat and therefore all arguments he makes ar-

What? He lost weight?

...how many years ago?

*Sweating* Well, uh...that is to say...

*Stiglich thrusts his penis into a shotgun over and over as he’s hauled off the stage*

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He also wears platform shoes because he’s insecure about his height, even though it contributes to his centaur stance.

Like the man is just a walking bag of insecurities.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ben Garrison posted:

IRAN SAVES FACE..FOR NOW.

President Trump continues to dodge a disastrous war with Iran, and my hat is off to him once again.

Many have doubted him and even I thought this was it—we were going to war against Iran. It would have been a war we would win, but at the cost of thousands if not millions of lives, especially if Russia or China got involved. It would have probably cost Trump his reelection.

Houdini-like, he’s been able to maneuver out of traps that would thwart a lesser president. Now if only he could figure out a way to get us out of the Middle East completely. After that, he could also help our country escape from the Federal Reserve’s immoral system of money.

We are not at the “KAG” point yet. We still need to Make America Great Again. There’s still a lot of work left to be done. Build the wall. Bring the troops home. Drain the swamp. End the Fed. Rebuild our infrastructure. Pardon General Flynn and Roger Stone.

Let’s hope he makes more progress during his second term.
Another President probably would have refrained from sticking their entire dick into a hornet’s nest. But hey Daddy is GOOD and totally STRONG and capable of beating Iran.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean when Putin was making moves on, I believe Crimea, it was nonstop “Tough Daddy Putin and Wimpy Girly Man Obama” cartoons.

They need their white strongman.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hahaha, I went to prison for ten years, rendered myself unappealing to employers, have my activities tracked by the government while on parole, and have lost just about all my assets I possessed before my arrest.

But I got $50, a cheap cellphone, and a bus card. :smuggo:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well-known cop fans, transgender people.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

The tweets are protected. What do they say (other than being vomit coming out of his mouth)?
Oh my god, did he protect his tweets in response to us :allears:

Like, they were public a few hours ago.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I didn’t see anything like that on the website. Is he doing these terf comics on the side since the last time he posted blatantly terfy poo poo it sent his patreon into a nosedive that is only just recently kinda evening out.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

i'll be honest, i only skim this thread for ben garrison comics now because everything else is too normal

send help
No saving you now. Soon you’ll be searching for even harder stuff, and it’s only a matter of time before you have DbD bookmark.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah the Emperor is basically trapped in a living hell with his rotting corpse being forced on life support that demands thousands of lives sacrificed to it every day, and his empire being turned into a fascist theocracy with crimes against the citizenry committed in his name.

And the empire is so stagnant that technology old enough to be considered ancient are considered precious relics because they simply don’t know how to make them. Imagine if the printing press was irreplaceable technology.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I prefer the Horsey Heresy myself.
Draws smoking hot men discussing the need for humane solutions for Seattle’s homeless population.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Imperium is also ridiculously hypocritical, telling people to fear and report mutants while using mutants like Ogryn in their military operations. And honestly, Space Marines are heavily altered during their “training” that what the hell are they if not mutants?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People have pointed out before that Allie largely copy and pastes bodies and then attaches a copy-pasted head when he can. Which I will never blame him for while Stantis continues to produce writing that doesn’t even deserve clip art to go with it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We meet the primary contenders, back in...

With the 2011 burnouts back in the past, it's time to look at the actual primary. Fortunately, the GOP primary for 2012 started fairly early, so there won't be much in the way of empty posturing from the candidates. Nope, we're gonna see real results from our first races. So let's dive in.

Mitt "Mittens" Romney was the frontrunner pretty much out the gate. His primary problem, however, was his image. Sure, he had a lot of the same issues all conservatives have, but Romney wraps it all up in the very boring suit-and-tie business executive personae with the very weak charisma to match. As someone said during the election, Romney looked like the guy who laid you off to save a few bucks.

As frontrunner, this put an huge target on Romney's back from his primary rivals. I think people put too much stock in heated primaries, as most people will flat-out forget all the mudslinging come November. Just look at all the crap Obama endured in 2008, and he still won the general. Still, it inevitably comes up when primary candidates lash out at one another.

Santorum squeaked out a victory in Iowa, coming in first by a fraction of a percent over Romney. I don't think this got any play from cartoonists, but Santorum's campaign had a "Google problem" due to his name being used by, let's be exceedingly nice and say "controversial," sex advice columnist Dan Savage. As a dig on Santorum, Savage used his name as a euphemism for, well, you can look it up just like a lot of Santorum voters unknowingly did.

Then Mitt went and won New Hampshire. It is worth noting that throughout the race, Romney was throwing a lot of money around and Santorum was still staying competitive. I daresay we may have had the bizarro race of Obama v. Santorum were it not for...

:newt: Gingrich won South Carolina, which was a big deal because for decades every GOP candidate that took SC went on to win the primary...until 2012 when Newt inevitably lost. Something something it's a trend until it isn't. A running theme of the primary will be Newt's refusal to drop out, eating into Santorum's votes. But that's for another week.

There are two kinds of conservative mindsets for the election. The first are deluded people that think Obama is just as unpopular as talk radio tells them, and that he is doomed come November. The other mindset is people who understand just how hosed they were from the outset. Allie seemed to be aware of Romney's weaknesses as a candidate.

And now onto the cultural corner, where we look at what was going on in the world during this time.

B1
A string of assassinations involving Iranian nuclear scientists had been going on for a couple years, with Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan being the last victim in early 2012. The source of the assassinations was never uncovered, but it was strongly implied to be linked to Israel because...I mean c'mon. Further rumor had it as the USA being the one who put a stop to the assassinations, stating that they interfered with diplomatic efforts to get Iran to stop its nuclear program, presumably referring to the 2015 deal. But hey, maybe the USA actually stopped secret assassinations for once!

B2
Hostess declared bankruptcy in early 2012, following some poor business choices in the face of a more health-conscious shopper. Of course, this happened right after the union went on strike after some very questionably cuts to worker benefits. This was an extremely transparent move to try and pin the blame on the unions as opposed to executive incompetence. It's worth noting that, despite the company being in trouble, Hostess had no problem giving the executives pay raises in 2011.

B3
Tim Tebow was a football player that was very religious and conservative. He entered the Discourse in 2010 with an anti-abortion ad aired during that year's Super Bowl. "Tebowing" was the name of the little kneel and pray he did after a touchdown, and if I recall Tebow was responsible for NCAA rules getting changed for post-touchdown behavior. Tim Tebow sucks and I can't be hosed to look up what he's doing after his otherwise unremarkable tenure in football.

B4
Occupy Wall Street began the prior fall, and it was still going on at this point. For cartoonists, it was mostly a chance to take jabs at millennials or make other "witty" cartoons.

NEXT WEEK: The Witch Huntsman are over. Newt is a Good Husband. The Keystone Pipeline Saga begins. And some idiot on a boat.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There is no greater display of patriotism than dying for your criminal president's vanity war.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

I only discovered this genius in the gaybie thread too. This artist has such an incredible vision that I couldn't help voting for them more or less every time they came up.
His brain is literally dying. You can watch him in real time this year as his frontal lobe shrivels up and his ability to draw or even sign his work suffers.

The bitter irony is that the conservative who railed against the welfare state now needs it...and his wife was denied disability claims for him because he was still making cartoons. Cartoons that very clearly show degradation in his abilities, and he was still denied. And the darkest aspect is that he was only submitting cartoons because drawing was one of the few things that still made him happy. So Holbert I hope your wife’s suffering was worth it to keep those drat welfare queens at bay.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 13, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

What a lovely thing to say about a cartoonist with JRRose lite opinions. Post the welfare queen cartoons, because all I've ever seen are Congress, dear reader, need I say more?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

lmao this is the guy who developed senile dementia right
That’s why I posted it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The cartoon is bad for acting like Trump is the kind of person with a shred of foresight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Political Cartoons 2020: 2020 Trump Campaign Prepare to Die