Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

abigserve posted:

for reference, several videos have emerged on mainstream media (think about that) of firies calling out the PM for being a fuckwit while literally fighting a bushfire.

These comics are signalling for the greenies-are-behind-it-all chuds

I saw a report that he never got around to a requested meeting in April with the head firies to discuss the drought conditions, lack of equipment and manpower, and the poo poo that was likely to hit the fan in September. These people are unpaid volunteers and some look like they'll have full blown PTSD once things calm down enough to have time for it.

I guess the bootlickers working for Murdoch have to be very careful about attacking them directly even when the firies are yelling out the window of their fire engine for the PM to get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Cat Mattress posted:

Also I'm the royal crown on the Eagle representing the USA. I though it was a Republic, Garrison, what happened to that? You'd rather have a monarchy, now? Huh.

I thought it was an Imperial Eagle but I think that's wrong on two counts - too subtle for Garrison, and that's not how his brain works.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

Also note that the animals lifting the log are a cat and a fox, introduced predators. They are lifting the log to get at the animals hiding underneath it.

Holey crap, I completely missed that nuance. Explains the expressions on the critters being uncovered.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

SimonChris posted:

China is demanding an apology from Denmark for this outrageous cartoon.

Hah hah. Very funny.

SimonChris posted:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20200128/china-demands-apology-over-danish-newspapers-cartoon-flag-insult

Jyllands-Posten seems to have talent for making super tame drawings that somehow provoke international outrage.

Oh. You're being serious.

And here I thought you'd need to murder prisoners of conscience and harvest their organs to transcend the lower boundaries of civilized society and insult human conscience. What a time to be a political cartoonist.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Dude seriously needs to switch to a different breed of chicken for his entrail readings.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Wipfmetz posted:

Yeah, but how many people actually believe that? It must be like the religion of the spaghetti monster: most are in for ~irony~.

I thought the modern incarnation of the Flat Earth Society was another hoax perpetrated by the guy responsible for the Society for Indecency to Naked Animals but that looks to be wrong.

Just your regular run of the mill nutters taking the Old Testament literally.

I ran into a YouTube video where an old bearded guy patiently explained how the earth stands still while the sun goes around it using all the relevant passages from the Bible as proof. I'm still amazed I spent 15 minutes watching him but true believers like that can be kind of mesmerizing.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Odds of the cartoonist actually having even the vaguest clue re: what Adam Smith actually ever wrote.

About the same as anyone else (including economists) banging on about the invisible hand having actually read Smith.

See also: Evangelicals and Jesus.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Why is everyone wearing their masks like a Philadelphia cop?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

there wolf posted:

THIS IS NOT A JOB MCNAUGHTON PAINTING! That's why it makes no sense, because an actual artist painted this instead of a hack who never met a metaphor he couldn't belabor to the point of comedy.

The painting is called Hanky Panky and it's by a queer Cree artist called Kent Monkman. It's supposed to be about the failure of the justice system in dealing with the insane amount of sexual violence first nation's women in Canada face. In general, a lot of his work deals with colonialism, gender, sexuality, and the interrogation and deconstruction of classical Western art. The sexualized and stereotypical figure in the center is Miss Chief Eagle Testickle, Monkman's alter ego who shows up in a lot of his paintings. I dig this one, Trapper's Bride

Monkman's work is pretty provocative and Hanky Panky in particular is down right controversial, so if it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth that's probably valid. But it's art that makes you think about why it bothers you, and that's more than McNaughton has ever been able to achieve.

Thank you. I love it when this thread introduces me to a talented artist I want to learn more about.

And now, back to Prickly City...

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I step away from this thread for a few days and come back wondering what kind of crazy cartoons must be happening

not a single one that represents the reality of the situation. Not one that even comes close to having a take on the events that are actually happening

On the bright side, Trump's call yesterday to the governor of NC insisting on an open convention in August with no face masks or social distancing has brought new meaning to the thread title.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Given that he was very obviously very ill, I'm saving my piss for the graves of the Stantises and Ramirezes of the world. At least he's at peace, I hope his cats are looked after.

Yes. There will be cats.

MrUnderbridge posted:

So did the occupant.

And according to the gossip sheets, so did his wife. Like, really well.

"Suck the chrome off a trailer hitch" is a hell of a quote about a president's wife. If anyone has written a history of groupies she must get a chapter by herself. Truly a Pulitzer prize winning groupie.

OH HELL YEAH!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

there wolf posted:

Ugh, insomnia strikes again. I read that whole thing about mental health as a joke the first time around because of how patently ludicrous it is.

Sailors' mental health in the days of sail? Long months away from land in cramped, leaking quarters, living on hard tack that was best eaten in the dark so you couldn't see the wiggling? Be part of a world exploration crew that left home port crambed to the the gunnels with men because they expected to lose two thirds of them to disease and accident? Your employer discouraging a knowledge of swimming so you were more likely to stay on the ship? Your employer "recruiting" you through kidnapping by an armed group of men?

I agree, I don't think mental health was a concern.

"No man would go to sea who had wit enough to get himself in gaol. For being at sea is like being in gaol, with the added chance of being drowned. Further, both the company and food are commonly better in gaol."

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

By popular demand posted:

Seems like that after the first response stage no one had grossly hosed up execpt for the US.

The chief epidemiologist in Sweden just issued an "oops, our bad" on their herd immunity approach after Sweden having multiple times per capita deaths compared to its neighbours.

I'd really like to see the Swedish politoons after that little gaff.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Tsk, Horsey, of course it does. Read the prophecies describing what to look for in the Antichrist. They're accurate enough to make you believe.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I'm too brain poisoned from this thread. I have to assume this cartoon was in favor of the man, pointing out how hard he'd struggled and fought and sacrificed to reach this point only to be told to slow down just when it was in his grasp. But after so many AGCs and open spite I could also read it as "well if he was more slow and didn't rush he wouldn't have gotten hurt!"

After that Ramirez I can see the problem. Bill Mauldin won two Pulitzers, but other than that and drawing cartoons there's no other intersection with Ramirez.

Mauldin served in the U.S. Forces in WWII and had a habit of pissing off those in power and authority:

Wikipedia posted:

Mauldin was not without his detractors. His images—which often parodied the Army's spit-shine and obedience-to-orders-without-question policy—offended some officers. After a Mauldin cartoon ridiculed Third Army commander General George Patton's decree that all soldiers be clean-shaven at all times—even in combat—Patton called Mauldin an "unpatriotic anarchist" and threatened to "throw [his] rear end in jail" and ban Stars and Stripes from his command. General Dwight Eisenhower, Patton's superior, told Patton to leave Mauldin alone; he felt the cartoons gave the soldiers an outlet for their frustrations. "Stars and Stripes is the soldiers' paper," he told him, "and we won't interfere."[10]

In a 1989 interview, Mauldin said, "I always admired Patton. Oh, sure, the stupid bastard was crazy. He was insane. He thought he was living in the Dark Ages. Soldiers were peasants to him. I didn't like that attitude, but I certainly respected his theories and the techniques he used to get his men out of their foxholes.[11]

Mauldin's cartoons made him a hero to the common soldier. GIs often credited him with helping them to get through the rigors of the war. His credibility with the common soldier increased in September 1943, when he was wounded in the shoulder by a German mortar while visiting a machine gun crew near Monte Cassino.[4] By the end of the war he received the Legion of Merit for his cartoons. Mauldin wanted Willie and Joe to be killed on the last day of combat, but Stars and Stripes dissuaded him.[6]

Pants Donkey posted:

Jesus Christ

Gaybies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon
Gaybies Nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon
Gaybies Nomination: gently caress It, We're Done Here. All The Gaybies All The Time

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

SubG posted:

The Anti-Masonic Party was a single-issue conspiracy theory, the outlines of which everyone is probably already familiar with: a secret cabal of Masons is secretly controlling everything from behind the scenes, and the Anti-Masons would...???. In addition to conspiracy theories and right-wing reactionary politics, the Anti-Masonic Party's durable contribution to modern political life is the nominating convention. Prior to their introduction of nominating conventions, the party (whichever party) would largely just line up behind a chosen candidate and demonstrate party unity. But to a wild-eyed Anti-Mason that looked an awful lot like a Masonic conspiracy, so they decided to select candidates by publicly ranting insane garbage at each other until consensus is reached, the process used by the major parties today. The first presidential candidate they selected by this process was William Wirt, a second degree Freemason.

This is wonderful.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Australia had the same thing. NSW fires last year that were caused by idiot smokers and "smoking materials" became arson by radical environmentalists.

Love that Pope and FDotM, even if they are kicks in the nuts (as usual).

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I was reading a Berkley Breathed Bloom County collection and wondering if there are any good political cartoonists left in America. Thank you thread for reminding me that they're rare, but still out there.

And then there's this. wtf, some RBG reference? Did the artist forget to tell a joke? idgi. Looks like the American equivalent of Soviet Russia propaganda posters.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: It seems everyone is 'fleeing to the regions' (aka a fleechange lol)

I lost it at "Aeropress".

For a guy who's only been out in the bush for 3 years he managed to nail it.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Saying a prayer for all you regulars of this thread today and in the next month.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:

Pope:

Education minister Dan Tehan. One of the signature policy changes in the new budget is reworking university funding, and one of the signature changes in that is an attempt to kill off humanity courses by making them ludicrously expensive.

Maybe I've just spent too much time reading about Australian politics and my imagination is getting out of hand, but I'm pretty sure that skull is Tony Abbott.

Trump has no horse sense. AGC.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

UZworm posted:

I'm happy that everyone cheering on the MAS win is also specifically calling out Elon Musk

I tend to ignore Electric Jesus - what's he done now?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

He deleted it but this is a real tweet

Dude really needs to cut back on the coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

The only thing to look forward to is that the usual nauseating end-of-year retrospectives will be drowned out by the incoming wave of vileness these :qq: shitbirds will be drawing.

Hopefully some will drink themselves to death.