Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

The whole Army should adopt officer PT, which is essentially do whatever the gently caress you want for PT. Strangely I could rarely get anyone to agree with me on this.

"Soldiers would just get fat and fail PT tests!" Bruh, they already do!

Most Soldiers I met had an interest in physical fitness but they're always forced to do whatever dumb poo poo their NCOs want them to do.

The one size fits all approach to physical fitness doesn't work and it never will.

It's almost like it's actually not about PT at all.

Maybe it's about control.

Or more to the point, a wild eyed panic at the inkling of an idea of potentially losing a little bit of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

We do PT on our own in my section and nobody fails the PT test or is a fat body.

I mean, I'm a fat body. Just not by the ridiculous Army standards that I hacked by having a giant neck.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I was in far better shape before the army, and after even with all of my joints being hosed up. Weird how that happens when you don't start out a 12 hour workday with a bunch of useless random exercise in inclimate weather almost every day for more than half a decade. Give me those 3 hours of sleep in the morning, and let me go to the gym after work and I'd have been fine, but nope, army can't work that way for some reason.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mustang posted:

The whole Army should adopt officer PT, which is essentially do whatever the gently caress you want for PT. Strangely I could rarely get anyone to agree with me on this.

"Soldiers would just get fat and fail PT tests!" Bruh, they already do!

Most Soldiers I met had an interest in physical fitness but they're always forced to do whatever dumb poo poo their NCOs want them to do.

The one size fits all approach to physical fitness doesn't work and it never will.

When I was in they had a Master Fitness Trainer School where they would send NCOs who were PT studs to learn about exercise physiology, anatomy, and other useful stuff. The idea was they would come back to their units and implement a PT program.

Just what you think would happen usually did; they came back and tried to implement a good program only to have it shot down by the 1SG/CO and we did the same Dirty Dozen and Ability Group runs every day.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
They did that in my unit too on top of also having a division level fitness school that was pushed hard. I never once saw any of that poo poo implemented and I'm not even aware of anyone above the rank of SGT that went to it.

If they really wanted that poo poo used they should send platoon sergeants and 1SGs. Officers I don't think need much convincing on this, most of the resistance seems to be from senior NCOs.

Officers don't even do/learn PRT in BOLC. When I went through in 2015 what they taught us now looks like it was developed alongside the ACFT or with it in mind.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

They did that in my unit too on top of also having a division level fitness school that was pushed hard. I never once saw any of that poo poo implemented and I'm not even aware of anyone above the rank of SGT that went to it.

If they really wanted that poo poo used they should send platoon sergeants and 1SGs. Officers I don't think need much convincing on this, most of the resistance seems to be from senior NCOs.

Officers don't even do/learn PRT in BOLC. When I went through in 2015 what they taught us now looks like it was developed alongside the ACFT or with it in mind.

They tried it a few times with us, I think...in the dark ages of 2009.

Christ that was 11 years ago, at least I've been out for almost 8 years at this point :unsmith:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I remember that my one company's command staff got to do some trial of a PT program, and they actually had a licensed trainer leading it. Weirdly, it was the best PT we ever did, but once it was over we went from doing lots of powerlifting exercises and working on controlling weight, to running outside and doing situps on the sidewalk just like always.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I remember that my one company's command staff got to do some trial of a PT program, and they actually had a licensed trainer leading it. Weirdly, it was the best PT we ever did, but once it was over we went from doing lots of powerlifting exercises and working on controlling weight, to running outside and doing situps on the sidewalk just like always.

LMAO, your S4 spent a lot of time getting this approved for purchase with Army funds, came up fairly often at the BDE S4 sync. First mistake was asking BDE for permission first rather than the people that audit your purchases.

I did hear that it was really good and worth the money though when it finally happened.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

brains posted:

lol at the idea that the branch that already does outdoor PT at all of these locations and already has a test that completely disregards ambient temp, humidity, and altitude needs to study the effects of new testing in those same exact places so they don't adversely impact soldiers.

I still lose my poo poo that my PT test at Fort Carson is not in any way scaled to reflect that I'm at 6500 loving feet

EDIT: also I need to add that my unit is seriously considering going back to telework because CO is having massive uptick in covid. Hell yes.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 2, 2020

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

We just got the email that our facility is now HPCON Charlie, so everyone that's not mission essential is teleworking next week. Who coulda seen that coming? Certainly not the people that listen to the CDC and the WHO instead of the ones that watch Fox News all day...

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm trying to imagine what my life would have been like in motorpool if i was in during this pandemic.

would i "telework" (lol) or just have to go to the motorpool anyway and replace fuel injector pumps on HMMWVs with a mask on

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

You’re overlooking a chance to rehearse maintenance in a CBRN environment :suicide:

brains
May 12, 2004

Ashmole posted:

I still lose my poo poo that my PT test at Fort Carson is not in any way scaled to reflect that I'm at 6500 loving feet

EDIT: also I need to add that my unit is seriously considering going back to telework because CO is having massive uptick in covid. Hell yes.

on the other hand, training at 6000+ft and then going to 200ft in southern alabama to immediately test against your peers with no adjustment in scoring is extremely cool and good

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

You’re overlooking a chance to rehearse maintenance in a CBRN environment :suicide:

Please don't give the field grades any ideas.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was attached to a Chemical Co at Bragg and if you don't think they tried to get us to do maintenance in NBC (at the time) Gear because they were busy playing Chemical Car Wash and UNIT COHESION TRAIN AS WE FIGHT HOOAH

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm hammered, but that doesn't change the fact that you are nothing more than a Skilcraft with a dental appointment to the military

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Carteret posted:

I'm trying to imagine what my life would have been like in motorpool if i was in during this pandemic.

would i "telework" (lol) or just have to go to the motorpool anyway and replace fuel injector pumps on HMMWVs with a mask on

We started to hit a stride with being able to do stuff with meaning at home - especially with Microsoft teams. That was until we did JRTC. It was a struggle getting my lazy loving soldiers to complete a few online classes even though they had 5 weeks to do it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Carteret posted:

Lol our mechanics aren’t even wearing masks right now

But that’s because no one on Fort Wainwright is wearing them outside of the PX or being on gate guard.

And we just had like 20 cases on base.

So glad I get out next week

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I mean you couldnt make us wear loving coveralls, you think they'll wear masks

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

brains posted:

on the other hand, training at 6000+ft and then going to 200ft in southern alabama to immediately test against your peers with no adjustment in scoring is extremely cool and good

I took up smoking again on a PCS move away from Carson (and obviously didn't do PT during leave) and was waaaaay faster at the next place.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Thank god that’s over. It figures that on my last day is the day that the brigade cg would put out a mandatory order for masks indoors. I’ve been the only one doing it since everything started.

I hope they all get COVID. SMDFTB the army is dumb as hell.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Thump! posted:

Thank god that’s over. It figures that on my last day is the day that the brigade cg would put out a mandatory order for masks indoors. I’ve been the only one doing it since everything started.

I hope they all get COVID. SMDFTB the army is dumb as hell.

Drill this weekend for the first time since February in Ohio.. 100% masks required, within two hours of getting there 80% were taking them off or having them down hanging off their face talking close to each other indoors because the building was like 82 degrees and everyone was sweating their asses off.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

This video made me think of this thread.

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1284587379819532289?s=20

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Oh dear god I know one of those soldiers. WELCOME TO THE GREAT PLACE!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Ive been out for 10 1/2 years and I had the "can't find my rifle" dream last night.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm watching my unit slowly turn into Nazis. A while ago one of the guys told me he was listening to a Jordan Peterson recommended audio book about how the people who perpetrated the Holocaust justified it mentally.

Next time I saw him he was talking about how people should be allowed only one dose of Narcan (emergency anti-overdose medicine) and after that the paramedics should let them die. Literally talking about letting undesirable people die.

Then he started going on about how there will be a Civil War if Biden is elected.

I need to be done but I've got a service obligation and I'm 2 years from retirement, but gently caress I'm starting to figure out why people I've known have gotten out at 18 years.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

My perspective on it is you can mentally choose whose taxes pay your retirement every month. I just pick some rear end in a top hat I don't like and when I get my cheque I say a mental thank/gently caress you to them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's honestly super depressing seeing so many friends from the Army going super chud on social media these days. I'm curious what current polling would show for support of Trump in the military. From social media posts it seems to be stronger than ever, people that used to never post political poo poo are now posting tons of chud nonsense.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Someone I served with just posted something comparing people reporting others for not wearing masks to the people who reported on the Jews in the Holocaust.

:psyduck:

I know it's not correct anymore to say retard, but this was just one of many things I've seen in the last few months where my first reaction is to mutter "You absolute loving retard" and it still doesn't seem strong enough.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 11, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

It's honestly super depressing seeing so many friends from the Army going super chud on social media these days. I'm curious what current polling would show for support of Trump in the military. From social media posts it seems to be stronger than ever, people that used to never post political poo poo are now posting tons of chud nonsense.

Average enlisted kids know TRRRRMP has their back since SecArmy cancelled trafficking in persons training

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

PeterCat posted:

I'm starting to figure out why people I've known have gotten out at 18 years.

This makes me feel better about getting out at 12 years from the Navy. Then again I'm reminded that I will never have that comfy 20yr mil retirement that I could have enabled me to sit on my rear end for the rest of my life in a third world country poo poo posting on the internet.

brains
May 12, 2004

Mustang posted:

i watched it happen in real time during the obama years. every day up to 2016 increasingly included fox news tuned in on every TV (in the whole army, it seemed like), constant bemoaning about "the snowflakes," openly insulting obama himself (how he was a traitor, kenyan, muslim, etc) and as soon as trump was elected it turned into "how dare those unpatriotic LIBERALS constantly criticize our god-emperor. hail trump."

it was pretty loving depressing.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Any cadre in here? Has mail call been changed with COVID restrictions? Wanting to send stuff to someone in Red Phase.

Also obligatory looking for ideas... candy, playboy, anything else? Thought about a cell phone but that seems excessively mean spirited. Turns out you can buy about 350 gallons of packing peanuts for $100, but idk if that might annoy the DS too much.

nescience fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 13, 2020

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

nescience posted:

Any cadre in here? Has mail call been changed with COVID restrictions?

Also obligatory looking for ideas... candy, playboy, anything else? Thought about a cell phone but that seems excessively mean spirited. Turns out you can buy about 350 gallons of packing peanuts for $100, but idk if that might annoy the DS too much.

We had cell phones on Sundays in Basic in 2009 (everyone except the one dude who tried to smuggle an extra), so I imagine they still get them.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
2012 for us it was no cell phones, but, you know, your mileage may vary based on your unit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

nescience posted:

Any cadre in here? Has mail call been changed with COVID restrictions? Wanting to send stuff to someone in Red Phase.

https://ddlcstore.com

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A big green dildo is always worth a laugh :twisted:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

nescience posted:

Cell phones when I went through Benning in 2016 were a privilege and otherwise only allowed for a single call per phase. We were the honor platoon and got them during off-hours for our last week and a half during our recovery/gear cleanup time. I watched game of thrones in the bathroom on Sundays lmao.

Anything you send that is thicker than a letter in an envelope will be inspected/they'll watch them open it and decide whether they can keep the contents or not. They probably also make them do pushups for each piece of mail received, if you want to gently caress with them send lots of letters individually. Don't do anything big because the mail doesn't get delivered to the company directly - it goes to the battalion mail room and then gets sorted to the company areas so I don't even know how they'd handle that. It wouldn't make it to the barracks and would probably just be annoying as poo poo for the cadre.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

PeterCat posted:

I'm watching my unit slowly turn into Nazis. A while ago one of the guys told me he was listening to a Jordan Peterson recommended audio book about how the people who perpetrated the Holocaust justified it mentally.

Next time I saw him he was talking about how people should be allowed only one dose of Narcan (emergency anti-overdose medicine) and after that the paramedics should let them die. Literally talking about letting undesirable people die.

Then he started going on about how there will be a Civil War if Biden is elected.

I need to be done but I've got a service obligation and I'm 2 years from retirement, but gently caress I'm starting to figure out why people I've known have gotten out at 18 years.

I go out of my way to shut down politics because of this. "You're in uniform, don't talk about politics" usually works unless you're junior enlisted it may not. I know they're all MAGA imbeciles who would probably defect to the brownshirts in the event of an actual Trump coup attempt, but I feel like if I can stress that the army isn't loving political maybe I'll at least get some to think about how dumb they're being. Maybe. A lot seemed to be responsive to what I was saying when Trump was trying to send active duty soldiers to beat up protesters. And I NEVER personally express a political opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Politics chat is weird/dumb in the military, because on active duty, at work you 100% cannot say "vote for so and so," but you would be 100% within rights to say "I support guns, god, no taxes, charter private schools, a border wall, banning mail-in voting, and also we should bring back literacy tests for voting" and since those are about issues and not a party, it's fine, unless you're like... a leader holding formations to rant your issues at people.