Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

PeterCat posted:

So, I was reading the manual for the ACFT. If it has to be taken on grass or artificial turf, are they just never going to take one in CENTCOM?

Can confirm so we won't be able to take one in Africom either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I finally completed Captains Career course, it only took like 6 years to get into all the required 4 parts. Next: ILE in 4 years when I get that oakleaf.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Mustang posted:

The only "political" thing I did in the Army is poo poo on the confederacy every single time I heard someone bring it up.

As an S4 it surprised me how often I had to say "sir, we can't do that. It's illegal." And the S4 is probably the shadiest dude in the BN.

Can confirm that this was a large portion of my job as S4. “That’s illegal. Here’s why...”

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

brains posted:

it's this. especially when "dwell" consists of 3 or 4 month-long TDYs per year in support of CTC rotations, a month-long career development school, regionally-aligned missions, firefighting support, DSCA missions, and so on. followed by deployment and repeat. when your officers are averaging 10 out of 12 months away from home over the course of a decade, don't be surprised if the crumbs scraped off the DOD budget table aren't enough to keep them retained in service.

and man do i feel bad for all those THAAD and patriot operators out there who just bounce from deployment site to deployment site on an endless loop, for their entire career.

I’m so glad I could get two years of dwell time if I needed it in between my deployments. I’m sure they’re going to ask me to go again shortly due to critical shortages of CA qualified officers but hey. At least I could opt out.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Anyone else enjoying the new pace of virtual battle assemblies?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I’m thinking that when I’m a commander, I’m going to mandate one BA a year to be a virtual one going forward.
Because gently caress February drill in the northeast. And we already skip January and August.(We do Muta 8-10s twice a year.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
It would definitely save my unit money on hotels and food. And me on gas.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
They needed to get rid of the photos. One of the officers from my deployment tried to get at her expense the official background for her promotion board to CPT(national guard) shipped to Africa. Of course she didn’t get it there because they found a way to not ship it, but it serves nobody having DA photos and just wastes money and time.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Sooooo anyone gone to airborne school recently? It may or may not be in my future because of the unit I'm transferring to. Just wanted to get a feel for what to expect. Also I've been in for a long time so I'm not in OCS shape anymore so I've got to work on that, which I intend to.

Thoughts about the non-physical aspect of the schoolhouse? All I remember from benning is seeing the huge airborne towers when we marched to class, and being all jelly.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Well there goes all my super hooah

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/21/nypd-cop-charged-with-acting-as-china-agent.html

gently caress. This guy is in my BDE(or was). Fuuuuck

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
We’re too hooah for our own good. I just wanted to be a Soldier/Diplomat I didn’t care if I had to jump out or planes to do it. Honestly the year I stopped caring about getting deployed they finally sent me on one.

And thanks for that throwback video.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Crazy Mike posted:

I think I said this before but graduating Airborne school is what turned me from a slightly below average Soldier to a slightly above average Soldier.

I went from the best LT in my first BN to kinda middle of the road in my second one. Going to this next one where I kicked rear end at CCC right beforehand, I’m not sure where I’ll be, but at least I’ll be a team chief instead of the S4.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
No kidding. When I first tried to join this unit I asked to be their S4. They said for Civil Affairs they wanted you to come in
(A) CCC for Civil Affairs qualified(takes 2 years)
Can’t get that without being in a CA unit or slot and still had to pass the airborne physical
(B) Airborne qualified before joining the unit as if that was at all possible to get a spot in the reserves
(C) as a CPT and I was a 1LT at the time

I asked if they could dual slot me with the S4. They said the spot was already triple slotted. Like wth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I was just in north fort hood for demob and I feel your pain. However I do know that you can get okay for texas standards food delivered so you maybe have that. We had our CSM talk to the cadre directly. I’m sure you can get a bored CSM or SGM to speak with them.

Also yes when we arrive for quarantine they said that we would be tested for symptoms once a day by their medical team. I saw zero medical personnel the entire time I was there. They didn’t even check our temps when we got off the bus from Africa.

They also dropped a random SPC into our female barracks two nights in. I thought that would reset our quarantine... I was hella pissed. But it didn’t change anything.

So yeah get your CSM on board or get on USAWTF asap.