Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Elendil004 posted:

I hate how much this makes sense.

Would there be any notation for being captive by the Taliban for a time? Like how would that reflect on a service record?

They're probably either listed on the books for the unit they were in or moved to a separate unit identification code to be tracked with other POWs.

Same goes for equipment used in say, a war crime. I'm aware of at least one weapon from my old unit that was used in a war crime in Afghanistan and is still being held by CID a decade later despite still being on a company's property book. This results in Army systems that still shows them as having the required amount of this type of weapon despite actually being down 1 of a company's most lethal weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I would say "it's the Army" still applies.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don't know what rank/position you hold but I personally would talk to either your S1 to reach out to the CABs S1 or talk to them yourself.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'd also bring it up to your commander if you want this done in any kind of timely manner, ideally your LTC. Multiple people in this process are going to be asking "Why is this late?". Anything involving a COL or above signature is a time consuming process, especially when documents are late.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My last day of active duty ended literally the week before the lockdowns started. I couldn't have timed it any better.

2020 is loving crazy, it's somehow both my best year in a long time yet also the worst. More like I'm happy now that I've got my freedom back but also dismayed at the state of my country.

Spending 5 years training endlessly to fight in Atropia while also dealing with the day to day reality of the Trump administration pretty much sapped nearly every ounce of patriotism out of me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Man I was DONE with the Army all last year, I can't imagine if I would have also had to deal with COVID19 bullshit on top of regular Army bullshit for my last year in.

I've noticed that commanders have become podcasters these days though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I honestly barely ever took APFTs when I was in.

I'd always somehow have a current APFT score despite never asking anyone to pencil whip one for me. Didn't have anything against taking them but not going to if I don't have to.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The army should switch to yoga

Staff officers already do this, if we even bother to show up to PT that is.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The whole Army should adopt officer PT, which is essentially do whatever the gently caress you want for PT. Strangely I could rarely get anyone to agree with me on this.

"Soldiers would just get fat and fail PT tests!" Bruh, they already do!

Most Soldiers I met had an interest in physical fitness but they're always forced to do whatever dumb poo poo their NCOs want them to do.

The one size fits all approach to physical fitness doesn't work and it never will.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

They did that in my unit too on top of also having a division level fitness school that was pushed hard. I never once saw any of that poo poo implemented and I'm not even aware of anyone above the rank of SGT that went to it.

If they really wanted that poo poo used they should send platoon sergeants and 1SGs. Officers I don't think need much convincing on this, most of the resistance seems to be from senior NCOs.

Officers don't even do/learn PRT in BOLC. When I went through in 2015 what they taught us now looks like it was developed alongside the ACFT or with it in mind.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I remember that my one company's command staff got to do some trial of a PT program, and they actually had a licensed trainer leading it. Weirdly, it was the best PT we ever did, but once it was over we went from doing lots of powerlifting exercises and working on controlling weight, to running outside and doing situps on the sidewalk just like always.

LMAO, your S4 spent a lot of time getting this approved for purchase with Army funds, came up fairly often at the BDE S4 sync. First mistake was asking BDE for permission first rather than the people that audit your purchases.

I did hear that it was really good and worth the money though when it finally happened.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

You’re overlooking a chance to rehearse maintenance in a CBRN environment :suicide:

Please don't give the field grades any ideas.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's honestly super depressing seeing so many friends from the Army going super chud on social media these days. I'm curious what current polling would show for support of Trump in the military. From social media posts it seems to be stronger than ever, people that used to never post political poo poo are now posting tons of chud nonsense.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The only "political" thing I did in the Army is poo poo on the confederacy every single time I heard someone bring it up.

mlmp08 posted:

I remember, as an LT, when every officer in the BN was told they had to sign up for AUSA membership/dues, and if they didn't, they could report to duty on Saturday where they would be given an 8-hour block to hand-write their essay as to why they didn't support AUSA and turn it in to the BN XO and CDR.

Years later, that former BN CDR was giving an ethics training and like "hoo, uh.... So I didn't know I couldn't do that back then, yikes! Please don't do what I did...haha.... heh."

As an S4 it surprised me how often I had to say "sir, we can't do that. It's illegal." And the S4 is probably the shadiest dude in the BN.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I lucked out by being made the S4 immediately after being a Scout PL because it kept me doing logistics work for the rest of my time in the Army which is considerably easier to translate to something a civilian would understand.

But even better than being a POG is not being in the Army at all.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Your back and joints have my sympathies.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I only ever spent time in an SBCT and have a favorable opinion of Strykers but SBCTs are full of guys from both IBCTs and ABCTs that hate Strykers with a burning passion. You can fit so much poo poo in/on a Stryker, great vehicle for a dismount oriented organization. I always had about 9 fuel cans on mine which is almost enough to completely refill the fuel tank.

Standing out of the hatch and offroading in a Stryker on a sunny day is some of the most fun I've had in the Army.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

At NTC that's also an SBCT going up against an OPFOR with tanks and plenty of AT weapons. Almost everything an SBCT brings to the fight is outranged by the OPFOR at NTC. An SBCT has 12 MGS Strykers (105mm) and 9 ATGM Strykers. I never understood why they keep sending SBCTs up against an armored OPFOR.

I'm honestly not at all sure what the hell the Army wants to do with SBCTs because it is blatantly obvious that they are really bad at fighting armored opponents. They're somewhere in the middle between IBCTs and ABCTs but I think they have way more in common with an IBCT.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's the same experience I had at NTC as a scout PL, we travelled at night in our Strykers and spent our days in OPs up on ridgelines and in the mountains. I don't remember any small arms engagements either, it was all indirect fire, javelins and AT-4s.

The thing that annoys me about poo poo like the T-90s at NTC is that they fire invisible lasers and you're definitely nowhere near close enough to hear their meager sound effects when fired so you have no idea where that laser is coming from.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think it would be pretty quick, the Army is VERY on board with fully integrating women into combat units. Right before I left the Army we had some civilian women come and do private interviews with the women in combat MOS's that we had down in the platoons, the whole series of tasks leading up to those interviews seemed like it definitely has the attention of people high up in the military. Also had some congresswomen come and talk to them.

Considering it's just resourcing a fairly simple piece of clothing from among those that already exist I think the turn around to having these available will probably be fairly fast when compared to most things the military tries to do.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think 2 BCTs may be getting a new patch to wear sometime in the not too distant future. They ditched the 2ID profile picture around the time all the protests started.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The 2ID HQ is still in Korea, the Stryker brigades at Fort Lewis have fallen under 7ID since it was stood up. I'm also pretty sure neither the 1st nor 2nd BDE that wear the 2ID patch have ever been stationed in Korea or fallen under 2ID HQ.

I got to 2-2 SBCT at the beginning of 2016 and other than the patch we wore there was nothing we did even that was even remotely related to 2ID. I'm not sure exactly when it started but both brigades have been singing the 7ID bayonet song every morning before PT since I got there.

I'm surprised they didn't do it when they reactivated 7ID's HQ.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm not sure what it says about my experience in the Army that I don't find any of that even remotely surprising. There's a lot of cross over between people of walmart and soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nice and hot piss posted:

What i've noticed is after dealing with people in the emergency department that have meth addictions is:

There were a lot of people in my batallion that I dealt with that were 100% absolutely doing meth.

What surprised me while I was in was that the drugs people were pissing hot for were things other than marijuana, which is obviously legal and easily available here in WA.