Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chickencheese time!! In this case we're going ballotine! I've been meaning to do this for a while after having seen Pepin do it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8, so you all get to witness me on my first attempt. We're gonna stuff it with a mix of onions, celery, some super hot hatch chiles I have in my freezer, and of course, cheese.

(also man photographing food so it doesn't look terrible is harder than it looks!)

The chicken, wing tips removed:

Ribcage and thing/leg bones removed:

The celery, onion, and hatch chile mixture:

The cheese! A mix of monterey jack, parm and a cheddar slice:

In goes the cheese:

The pieces together:

Spreading the stuffing! Overstuff as it would turn out but hey, first time:

Rolled up!:

You can see the extra stuffing that made it harder to truss:

Removed from the oven:

I made this two nights before we were going to eat it, so here it is out of the fridge to be reheated, with my slicing knife as I don't use it as much as I'd like:

Sliced and ready to be heated:

The rest of the dramatis personae, specifically the best bread, dutch crunch:

News team assembled!:

At the end I found the ballotine to not bad as hard as I'd worried, certainly it took me more than a minute to debone, but there was only 4 points where you'd cut and the rest was using your fingers to pull the meat. My girlfriend was pleasantly surprised and even said she'd do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Beautiful! I'd also love a tag if one does get made :)