Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HP Lovecraft grew up experiencing life as his own choices being at the whims of others and in constant fear of irrecoverable madness and becoming part of the outgroup that even though he was so pungently racist his own contemporaries were like "Loverboy, you have issues" his work still draws in tons of othered people in society and resonates with their experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've also read that his weird racist poo poo was a literal phobia- Like he would freak the gently caress out if he saw a swarthy individual. His wife, Sonia Greene, started helping him to be just a wee bit more accepting by virtue of being Jewish. But they were only married two years and the dude was essentially a spiraling shut-in during, so v:v:v.

I always felt a little bad for Lovecraft because he was so, so goddamn mentally ill. Guy needed serious help.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
At least he has his little son, howie.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
In seriousness his visions of nightmares and weird beyonds makes me think he is doing better in the afterlife. Many people fall into some muck or limbo but he saw it all coming.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think it got brought up in Fatal and Friends that if they had any kind of effective mental health care back then, Lovecraft probably would've been "the guy who writes charming stories about cats but is actually kinda racist"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It kind of reminds me of a peeve about when people do alt history stuff, when they put someone in the modern day then forget that their problems that they had in life wouldn't BE problems anymore, like in a scenario with "If composers lived in the modern day" (a video on the TwoSetViolin Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHdKSr10HWs) which had stuff like Mozart doing a youtube channel called "A is for Amadeus" and Beethoven on his laptop pissed off because he'd saved all his sonatas to his desktop and couldn't find the right version of his ninth.

Chopin wasn't included in the video, but he was mentioned in the comments and somenoe brought up that he wouldn't be doing much becausew he'd be too busy dying of Tuberculosis which set me off, because if he'd lived in the modern day he WOULDN'T have died that quickly - we have antibiotics. We'd have treated his TB in a proper hospital if he'd even contracted it in the first place, and he'd have been fine after a couple of months, maybe with a lasting respiratory issue as a sideeffect but certainly not dying on a remote island with everyone except his wife being too afraid to approach him for fear of contracting his illness.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Promare might be the best movie ever made.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Like, I admittedly watched it two times in a night with a friend on five tabs two days after my gf had some snap, dumped me and vanished out of the blue, so I might be biased, but I’m running through all the imaginary charts and tables in my head of all the things at least on paper a great movie needs, and it’s pretty much just completely overflowing in about every department.

I am in awe. Aside from being the kind of audio visual spectacle the likes of which is like once a decade on a good decade, it’s so pure, so refined, so aggressive. It’s obvious in the most clever ways. It takes delight in how obvious it’s being, but still manages to have a lot of genuine heartfelt depth behind it, and a beautiful story. Fun characters. Amazing music. Maybe just the best thing you can just stick in your eyeballs.

Promare does not seem like a film that didn’t set out to be the best movie ever, at least in some regard.

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 26, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Promare might be the best movie ever made.

:hmmyes:

The first 10 minutes are breathtakingly overwhelming, but at no point do you ever feel lost. Promare is seriously good. And that theme tune is very catchy.

Plus, like all the best things, it's super gay. You're gay now, OP, sorry about that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Promare is a movie that says:

"You know that queer-coded villain? You know those horrible went-too-far Killmonger-type terrorist villains?"

"They're right. They're the heroes. Be gay, do crimes, abolish ICE."

loving incredible flick

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Promare is a movie that says:

"You know that queer-coded villain? You know those horrible went-too-far Killmonger-type terrorist villains?"

"They're right. They're the heroes. Be gay, do crimes, abolish ICE."

loving incredible flick

Admittedly I was messed up but I cried at a few parts, mainly cause I’ve loved the Trigger crew for a long time. Evangelion is my favorite story and to see this crew that’s just come this far, treating their entire vibe, their ethos and aesthetic, pretty much just using their reputation and treating it like franchise and making just...the Trigger Movie. Apart from having my mind blown I felt like...proud? For them? As an artist as a human as someon living in this weird society where it feels like everyone is just kicking cans around in circles waiting for the next bad thing and whining about how much things suck, to get to this this triumph of these extremely dedicated artists, and this is the story that’s gay as hell in trans rights color scheme, but that’s also so impactful everyone can feel it, that it makes everyone gay and more powerful for it. it’s they wanted to tell, nothing held back, and they loving did it and it’s an achievement. Brings a tear to my eye.

And they don’t rest on that reputation they just take their own custom Trigher anime engine and run it perfectly and out comes this testament to what a bunch of burning souls can accomplish together...maaaaaan......

I needed Kamina in my life at this time and holy poo poo he came back better than ever and it’s just amazing.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Literally abolish Ice

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gonna be honest I don’t think I would have ever guessed that Sony Pictures Animation was gonna be the next studio to push CG animation to the limit but it’s looking like Spiderverse maybe wasn’t just a fluke

https://youtu.be/PDkz7U6YmzE

The moment I was completely sold was the giant Furby as a portent of doom, which I never would have come up with but cannot imagine a more perfect use of Furby

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really enjoyed Promare. I’m old and jaded now so it didn’t have the same impact that seeing the Gurren Lagaan movies had on me ten years ago, but I still really enjoyed it. Also Trigger has a really great CG department, so much of that movie is CG but it effortlessly blends with the hand drawn stuff. It’s really incredible for that alone.

The most adrenaline pumping film I’ve ever seen is still Redline though. Despite my praise of CG in Promare, there’s something next level about seeing the mastery of hand drawn animation required to pull this off:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JwyqhzYjmu8

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Redline sort of makes me want an F-Zero movie but honestly there's nothing it could do that Redline didn't already. Earlier in the thread I described it as though the creative team "did a Scarface-sized pile of coke while watching the Wachoskis' Speed Racer then decided to strip out anything that might be called a plot."

"You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a drat thing about racing!" is a great line. The entire thing is so good.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Just watch Promare, then watch Redline. Or the other way around.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Das Boo posted:

I've also read that his weird racist poo poo was a literal phobia- Like he would freak the gently caress out if he saw a swarthy individual. His wife, Sonia Greene, started helping him to be just a wee bit more accepting by virtue of being Jewish. But they were only married two years and the dude was essentially a spiraling shut-in during, so v:v:v.

I always felt a little bad for Lovecraft because he was so, so goddamn mentally ill. Guy needed serious help.

Fun fact: in the tail end of his life, he realized what an absolute dipshit he had been, and was on an upward trend. It's unfortunate that he didn't have time to do much to actually do something with this knowledge, but what can you do.

Here's a relevant bit from one of his letters:

quote:

“Little Willis asked permission to publish the text in his combined SFC-Fantasy, & I began looking the thing over to see what it was like—for I had not the least recollection of ever having penned it. Well …. I managed to get through, after about 10 closely typed pages of egotistical reminiscences & showings-off & expressions of opinion about mankind & the universe. I did not faint—but I looked around for a 1924 photograph of myself to burn, spit on, or stick pins in! Holy Hades—was I that much of a dub at 33 … only 13 years ago? There was no getting out of it—I really had thrown all that haughty, complacent, snonbish, self-centered, intolerant bull, & at a mature age when anybody but a perfect damned fool would have known better! That earlier illness had kept me in seclusion, limited my knowledge of the world, & given me something of the fatuous effusiveness of a belated adolescent when I finally was able to get out more around 1920, is hardly much of an excuse. Well—there was nothing to be done ….. except to rush a note back to Conover & tell him I’d dismember him & run the fragments through a sausage-grinder if he ever thought of printing such a thing! The only consolation lay in the reflection that I had matured a bit since ‘24. It’s hard to have done all one’s growing up since 33—but that’s a drat sight better than not growing up at all.”

He died a month later :(

Here's the rest of it, which you'll find is really unexpected given what we know of the guy: https://github.com/punchmonster/Lovecraft-Letters/blob/master/19370207-Catherine-L-Moore.md

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I've read that excerpt before. The line "It’s hard to have done all one’s growing up since 33—but that’s a drat sight better than not growing up at all” really sticks with me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DC Murderverse posted:

Gonna be honest I don’t think I would have ever guessed that Sony Pictures Animation was gonna be the next studio to push CG animation to the limit but it’s looking like Spiderverse maybe wasn’t just a fluke

https://youtu.be/PDkz7U6YmzE

The moment I was completely sold was the giant Furby as a portent of doom, which I never would have come up with but cannot imagine a more perfect use of Furby

I mean, Hotel Transylvania and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, no matters our feelings on the former, have already shown what Sony Animation is capable of. They really put no restraints on their CG and it's always a joy. The bigger names need to really look at what these guys are doing cause no one else is coming close

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sony Pictures Animation has such an up and down filmography though, like compared to even the middle tier studios like Dreamworks and Blue Sky, their output is even more all over the place. From Wikipedia:

1 Open Season
2 Surf’s Up
3 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
4 The Smurfs
5 Arthur Christmas
6 The Pirates! Band of Misfits
7 Hotel Transylvania
8 The Smurfs 2
9 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
10 Hotel Transylvania 2
11 Goosebumps
12 Smurfs: The Lost Village
13 The Emoji Movie
14 The Star
15 Peter Rabbit
16 Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
17 Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
18 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
19 The Angry Birds Movie 2
20 Wish Dragon
21 The Mitchells vs. the Machines

Starting out with some competent kid's fare, with a definite early highlight in Cloudy.

Then a mishmash of half-live-action Smurfs movies and some Aardman stuff (Arthur Christmas is good but I haven't seen Pirates) and their big studio-tentpole franchise Hotel Transylvania (which, yecch, it's no Toy Story or How To Train Your Dragon)

Absolute nadir with Emoji Movie and The Star (why a Christian movie in there, like, imagine Pixar suddenly doing a random biblical comedy?), and more run of the mill half-live-action stuff with Goosebumps and Peter Rabbit. They seemed to have no idea what they wanted to do around this period.

Then the pinnacle comes with Spider-Verse, which we all know is an absolute genre-redefining masterpiece. It sticks out on this list - it doesn't feel like Sony deserves to have it.

I dunno why Angry Birds 2 is here but the first isn't - did Sony acquire the property to do the sequel?

What even is Wish Dragon, is that their answer to Abominable, like their one for the Chinese market? Has anyone seen it?

I hope Mitchells vs the Machines will be good.

Like what the hell is this filmography? It seems like the Netflix of animation studio output - just throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing if it sticks, with no attempt to develop a house style or (as far as I can tell) cultivate certain talents. They're just scrabbling for IP and churning out all sorts of stuff of mixed quality.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 27, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I am watching Shark Tale and it's dire, just dire

I am only 4 minutes in and have just got through the wacky opening montage set to contemporary pop song that takes us on a whirlwind pun-filled tour of the fish city where we see it is so very analogous to our own, land-based cities, and I am already regretting my dedication to this medium

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
the walk/dont walk signs you may be familiar with, instead say swim/dont swim! :roflolmao: :roflolmao: :roflolmao: :roflolmao: :roflolmao: :roflolmao:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What if fishes, but black people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They should make a movie taking the cannibal gangsters entirely at face value

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

When they translated that movie in Italian, I was 12, and I lacked the cultural understanding of American black culture to understand that it was referencing that. It made for quite the surprise, later on in life, to find out that it was referencing that, and that it was doing so in such a, let's say, less than graceful manner.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This child movie is about a fish who owes money to literal loan sharks because of his gambling habit

What??????????

This is uncut gems but for small children

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If the jack black shark would simply vore the will smith fish this travesty would be over with early

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

If the jack black shark would simply vore the will smith fish this travesty would be over with early

But he doesn't WANT to eat fish, Hedrigall, are you even watchign the film???

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

paradoxGentleman posted:

But he doesn't WANT to eat fish, Hedrigall, are you even watchign the film???

Maybe he should reach deep down and find the ability within himself

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Martin Scorsese is the puffer fish what lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like the analogy is that the jack black shark is gay and his family wants to see him gently caress a woman in front of him to prove he's straight, which sounds like a plot from a gangster movie, which was apparently used in a movie that came out after Shark Tale

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really don’t like any of the human faces in Mitchells vs the Machines.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Fun fact: in the tail end of his life, he realized what an absolute dipshit he had been, and was on an upward trend. It's unfortunate that he didn't have time to do much to actually do something with this knowledge, but what can you do.

Here's a relevant bit from one of his letters:

Here's the rest of it, which you'll find is really unexpected given what we know of the guy: https://github.com/punchmonster/Lovecraft-Letters/blob/master/19370207-Catherine-L-Moore.md

Given, I'm a complete sucker for people earnestly trying to do better, but this is sad as hell. It's impressive he had the capacity for this kind of reflection considering his severe mental state. Ugh, that sucks.

I hate reading biographies about people in (now obvious) psychological distress and thinking, "Someone HELP THEM!" Kafka and Woolf come to mind. The hindsight hurts.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Das Boo posted:

Given, I'm a complete sucker for people earnestly trying to do better, but this is sad as hell. It's impressive he had the capacity for this kind of reflection considering his severe mental state. Ugh, that sucks.

I hate reading biographies about people in (now obvious) psychological distress and thinking, "Someone HELP THEM!" Kafka and Woolf come to mind. The hindsight hurts.

I've always known about this stuff. Like everything I've read about the man paints him as having lived an appallingly sad life as well as suffering from SEVERAL mental health problems and phobias some of which(like his fear of water and of fish) were likely not helped by living in a coastal state as well as him improving(or at least having serious attempts to do so). It's why I find his passing so tragic since he likely WOULD have seen his prior racist attitudes with nothing but disdain. Him being a racist dub like he himself says was poo poo, but given he seems to legitimately reflect on it and his mass of mental health issues, I don't give him a pass, but I very much understand that it's coming from a very different place and from very different causes. The man really needed help in a time where said didn't exist and wouldn't for several decades(and even then we're still not good enough).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’ve definitely wondered what the AU where Lovecraft lived at least past WW2 would have looked like. There’s... at least some stories (Herbert West, Reanimator comes to mind) where it would have been relatively easy to excise the most racist elements while still keeping the overall plot the same.

Though then there’s ones like the story about a guy who killed himself not because he figured out that he had a monkey goddess as a recent ancestor... but because he realized that meant that he had ancestors from the wrong parts of Europe. :v:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Mitchells Vs the machines using high technology to replicate the look of a movie that was painted, about humanity being overtaken by high technology

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Are you talking about Lovecraft, or Shark Tale? :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hey, Lovecraft’s fish people were Pacific Islanders :v:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Read Moby-Dick, I beg of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

This bit is great:

quote:

I can't see that socialism would hurt anybody who is willing to work & who expects a just return from the work he performs—including guarantees of proper security in old age & in times of necessary unemployment or disability. Then, of course, it must be remembered that the moderate road avoids even the principal minor ills of readjustment. Communism would mean some rather disconcerting bumps—but there is nothing of destruction or violent dislocation in the orderly progressivism whose various stages are represented by the New Deal, the La Follettes, & Norman Thomas.

But the real joke of course is, that all this isn't a matter of choice anyhow! Capitalism is dying from internal as well as external causes, & its own leaders & beneficiaries are less & less able to kid themselves. I'm no economist, but from recent reading I've been able to form a rough picture of the dilemma—the need to restrict consumers' goods & to pile up a needless plethora of producing equipment in order to maintain the irrational surplus called profit—which has caused orthodox economists like Hayek & Robbins to admit that only starvation wages & artificial scarcity could stabilize the profit system in future & avert increasing cyclical depressions of utterly destructive scope. Laissez-faire capitalism is dead—make no mistake about that. The only avenue of survival for plutocracy is a military & emotional fascism whereby millions of persons will be withdrawn from the industrial arena & placed on a dole or in concentration-camps with high-sounding patriotic names. That or socialism—take your choice. In the long run it won't be the New Deal but the mere facts of existence which will be recognised as the real & inevitable slayer of Hooverism. Nobody is going to "destroy the system"—for it has been destroying itself ever since it evolved out of the old agrarian-handicraft economy a century & a half ago.

All this from an antiquated mummy who was on the other side until 1931!