Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They actually predate VHS, so sometimes there was stuff put in there that the creators never expected a person to see.
Tiny Toon Adventures was amazing for this.
There was usually some weird non-sequitor credit spot towards the end of the sequence ("Mice Tamer / Staff Name") that just flashed by. I don't think they repeated them much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Some plot stuff in MvtM didn’t land for me but I loved the visuals and the overall family dynamic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm wondering where the FLsmDmdfr from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was hidden in the finale.

I just finished it and the folks that were like "why is her being queer not a thing" have some reaaaaaaaaaaaaly weird hangups about the plot. There's a whole scene where he gives up his cabin for the sake of his daughter and he's OK with it. Especially how explicitly they make Rick's concern about "can you make a living from this" being tied to having to give up his dream life.

Rick's worst aspect is being completely checked out of his daughter's creative pursuits, but from an older parent perspective I guess it all looks like making weird shorts and being "on the computer" all day.

She's good enough to get into a California Film School,
dude!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 3, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FilthyImp posted:

She's good enough to get into a California Film School, dude!

She's actually already gone viral as well, since the tech guy and Pal creator knows about and enjoys Dog Cop.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s a poo poo Monday at work but I’m going home this evening to order some delicious Thai food and watch Mitchell Vs The Machines, I cant wait

Last night I watched the Ni No Kuni movie on Netflix, it was a pretty generic and forgettable isekai movie but had some nifty secondary characters to flesh out the world at least

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I watched Mitchells vs The Machines last night and it was great.

Also appreciate the villain literally saying "Tech and phones are the problem you idiots, it's the way it's used and thrown away for profit"

The baboon and cat-filter jokes were the only memey bits that were a little too jarring, the rest of the movie landed pretty well.

Also it's funny that some people are calling Katie being a lesbian an 'end of movie quick line reveal' when it's clear throughout the movie, she uses rainbows all over her art, etc. Even in the first five minutes I thought it was incredibly obvious. Like even without her pride pin this is probably the most lesbian character design I've ever seen.

edit:
Lol I just double checked, this screenshot with Katie saying she's "always felt a little... different" pops up like 3 minutes into the movie, it's not hidden at all.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 3, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watching Ms vs the Ms now, it’s so good

The physical humour in the animation is a step beyond

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think that was even better than Spider-Verse, holy goddamn

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Love, Death and Robots 2 is coming to Netflix. I thought the last one was a mixed bag. The Witness had legit amazing animation but stuff like the russian army fighting werewolves was extremely uninspired.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Finally got around to seeing The Good Dinosaur, thanks to my son being home sick. It, uh, wasn’t very good. It had some good parts (the reverse shark fin thing with the pterodactyls was very cool) but otherwise I can see why it didn’t do too well in theaters. Also I hate how Arlo and his family look.

It should have just been about the ranching tyrannosaurus.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Finally got around to seeing The Good Dinosaur, thanks to my son being home sick. It, uh, wasn’t very good. It had some good parts (the reverse shark fin thing with the pterodactyls was very cool) but otherwise I can see why it didn’t do too well in theaters. Also I hate how Arlo and his family look.

I think that movie was one of the worst CG kids' movies I've ever seen and a disgrace for it to have come out of Pixar of all companies. Yeah, the characters were ugly and the plot just boiled down to subjecting the sad, worried protagonist to endless suffering and humiliation. There were pretty much no nice characters.

Definitely not a feel-good movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Literally every movie seems to have a "troubled production" story so it's always hard to know how much stock to put in that... but this one certainly seems to have been a doozy, considering how it turned out. The big-picture premise is essentially pointless, half of the plot elements end up not really mattering at all, and the characters are ugly and somehow look greenscreened into their own environment.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Love, Death and Robots 2 is coming to Netflix. I thought the last one was a mixed bag. The Witness had legit amazing animation but stuff like the russian army fighting werewolves was extremely uninspired.

Yeah I'm really hoping the quality of the scripts is better. Also the trailer only featured 1 or 2 shots with interesting styles, the rest looking like Call of Duty cinematics. Very uninterested in watching stuff that looks like that, it'll age horribly too.

But speaking of cool styles, one of my former mentors posted this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WtVfkTGFvo

They've been working on it at Fortiche in France for ages, which is the only studio that rivals Sony Imageworks in terms of pulling off non-photorealistic visuals flawlessly, and this looks incredible. The budget per episode is really intense.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 3, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
a dvd of cool world is winging its way toward me and i have no regrets

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Y'all suck, The Good Dinosaur is good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It is not

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The bland at best dinosaur

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The Good Dinosaur mood:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
More like the bad dinosaur

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The Good Dinosaur mood:

I honest to god think I laughed out loud at that more than anything. I mean it got an instant belly laugh.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

God I love how Sony image works is making frames of the film actually look like the concept art.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Good dinosaur was so weirdly apocalyptic, like it felt like everyone was living some sort of pioneer lifestyle but with no indication anyone came from anywhere so it was just small groups alone in the wilderness all alone and terrified of each other

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The good dinosaur isn't the worst movie I've seen but it's the second worst Pixar film from them.

There was no reason for the characters to be dinosaurs, the movie was more or less a tech demo for the backgrounds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The backgrounds were drat pretty tbf

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The Good Dinosaur mood:
I think I nailed the vibe of the Mitchells vs The Machines aesthetic...

You know when you see an animated movie and you like it and then you see the painted concept art and part of you is like, "poo poo, I like this movie, but I'd kill for a whole movie that looks like the concept art." I feel like half the shots of the movie look like really pretty concept art.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

BonoMan posted:

Y'all suck, The Good Dinosaur is good.

Explain because I just saw it and unless I missed something, it was actually quite bad

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pixeltendo posted:

The good dinosaur isn't the worst movie I've seen but it's the second worst Pixar film from them.

I don't mean to crap on anyone's opinions but there's probably more Pixar films that don't come immediately to mind so you're not really considering.

(Even if you count Cars trilogy as 1? There's still Bug's Life, MU, Finding Dory, Onward even if you like most of the films in their middling catalog.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bugs Life is good

Monsters University I liked a lot more the second time. It’s a decent comedy, just a low stakes fun time with characters you already love

Finding Dory is alright, it has some good bits

Onward I loved, really loved

I agree that the Good Dinosaur is better than all the Carses

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 4, 2021

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ
Here's a cool little video. It was made in blender, but looks like old stop motion.

BoingBoing posted:

Hypertalented animator Ian/Worthikids created this short that looks like stop-motion but was done entirely in Blender. Voices by Japanese dubbing actors RASHA1M.

(Thanks UPSO!)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Worthikids is an animation warlock.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Explain because I just saw it and unless I missed something, it was actually quite bad

It's tough because since my kids loved it I have seen it like 40 or 50 times literally.

I did not like it at first.

But now I've come to just like the slow pace, scenery, music and just... Quietude of it all. It definitely feels built out of pieces meant for something else at times, but it just strikes a chord for me. I wouldn't say it's their best by any stretch but repeated viewings does help.

It's just chill.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn’t hate Good Dino when I saw it but it had the same vibe as one of those shorts that suffice as a proof of concept and tech demo as opposed to a fully realized film.

My feelings for Pixar movies have cooled a lot though in the past few years. Inside Out was the last film I really liked.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

All I want now is a Lord/Miller Teen Titans Go movie done by Sony Animation in TMvsTM style.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ccs posted:

But speaking of cool styles, one of my former mentors posted this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WtVfkTGFvo

They've been working on it at Fortiche in France for ages, which is the only studio that rivals Sony Imageworks in terms of pulling off non-photorealistic visuals flawlessly, and this looks incredible. The budget per episode is really intense.

So Netflix has both Dota and League of Legends shows, funny

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

So Netflix has both Dota and League of Legends shows, funny

Yeah. I'd be thrilled if it was the adaption of a popular fantasy series with something to say, or an original creation like Avatar, instead of a very pretty looking footage compilation for lootboxes. Like, I'm sure the writers for this show will try to write some nice character arcs and maybe suggest some themes about something or other, but I won't be able to shake the idea that they're just trying to sell me character skins in a game I don't play.

Same issue I have with Dota even though the creators of Avatar were invovled in the writing process. It felt incredibly trite. Also the villain is named Terrorblade. Lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ccs posted:

Yeah. I'd be thrilled if it was the adaption of a popular fantasy series with something to say, or an original creation like Avatar, instead of a very pretty looking footage compilation for lootboxes. Like, I'm sure the writers for this show will try to write some nice character arcs and maybe suggest some themes about something or other, but I won't be able to shake the idea that they're just trying to sell me character skins in a game I don't play.

Same issue I have with Dota even though the creators of Avatar were invovled in the writing process. It felt incredibly trite. Also the villain is named Terrorblade. Lol.

You're in the animation thread and you're complaining about fantasy animated series being long-form commercials?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You're in the animation thread and you're complaining about fantasy animated series being long-form commercials?

I know that's the trend they've been on for years. I saw Avatar and Korra as a welcome break from that trend. I'm just sad its going back that way.

Adaptions of books are alright since publishing doesn't engage is predatory behavior like micropayments. Plus the books usually have some actual ideas in them that can be amplified by adaption (sometimes bad idea such as in Terry Goodkind adaptions.) It's very demoralizing for animators to work on a show that ends up just being a collection of cool action set pieces that don't really explore anything, and is just a way to put a bunch of visuals in front of people's faces that will cause them to seek out the game.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Watching Cars with my son for the fifth time. It’s grotesque that these cars have tongues. I forgot about the tongues from when I saw it in the theater until now. If you had asked me if they had tongues I would have said of course not, but McQueen is flopping that loving thing around. Absolutely grotesque.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

I watched Mitchells vs The Machines last night and it was great.

Also appreciate the villain literally saying "Tech and phones are the problem you idiots, it's the way it's used and thrown away for profit"

The baboon and cat-filter jokes were the only memey bits that were a little too jarring, the rest of the movie landed pretty well.

Also it's funny that some people are calling Katie being a lesbian an 'end of movie quick line reveal' when it's clear throughout the movie, she uses rainbows all over her art, etc. Even in the first five minutes I thought it was incredibly obvious. Like even without her pride pin this is probably the most lesbian character design I've ever seen.

edit:
Lol I just double checked, this screenshot with Katie saying she's "always felt a little... different" pops up like 3 minutes into the movie, it's not hidden at all.

You're giving the movie a hell of a lot of undeserved credit here. It's all incredibly small touches and one blink-and-you'll-miss-it line of dialogue at the end. We get more insights into her brother's relationships and he's like 7.

It frustrates me that this is still seen as some sort of revolutionary step.

Great movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

without context for why sony sold the film to netflix in the first place, it's going to be hard for me not to come to the conclusion that sony got scared of releasing an all-ages animated film with a queer MC, while netflix doesn't give a poo poo (kipo, she-ra). who knows what previous drafts of the script were like, her relationship might have been more integrated into the plot

e: although it's already a 2 hour film so you probably don't want it to run that much longer

but seriously, everyone should know at this point how hard it is for artists to get queer characters into kids media and the fights they continue to have. this was definitely not a "let's tack this on" thing, but a "we fought hard just to get this much in" thing. mike rianda, who directed the film, was previously the art director on Gravity Falls, where they lost most of those fights with Disney

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 4, 2021