Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sidebar, its insane to me that Sonic and Sonic 2 are theatrical big budget movies that did real numbers for Paramount while Chip and Dale was an inside joke sort of movie Disney threw onto their streaming service yet it had 10x the number of cg characters, requiring that much more matchmove, roto, environment work, asset work, animation, lighting, rendering, comp, you name it.

I work with people who worked on both and somehow though the latter was an "easier" project for the artists because they had a supervisor who could negotiate with clients and make up their mind. At the end of the day a project can be 10x more work but if you have people with vision who are communicating effectively, it wont drive you as insane.

Of course the best project I ever worked on was a film with one cg character in most shots and there's almost always a shot of non cg in between the cg shots, so the artists aren't clashing trying to figure out how to match up one shot to the next in cut. Probably one of the only projects in the industry where nobody had to work any overtime....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Ccs posted:

Sidebar, its insane to me that Sonic and Sonic 2 are theatrical big budget movies that did real numbers for Paramount while Chip and Dale was an inside joke sort of movie Disney threw onto their streaming service yet it had 10x the number of cg characters, requiring that much more matchmove, roto, environment work, asset work, animation, lighting, rendering, comp, you name it.

I work with people who worked on both and somehow though the latter was an "easier" project for the artists because they had a supervisor who could negotiate with clients and make up their mind. At the end of the day a project can be 10x more work but if you have people with vision who are communicating effectively, it wont drive you as insane.

Of course the best project I ever worked on was a film with one cg character in most shots and there's almost always a shot of non cg in between the cg shots, so the artists aren't clashing trying to figure out how to match up one shot to the next in cut. Probably one of the only projects in the industry where nobody had to work any overtime....

Yeah, that makes sense to me. I’m in stopmotion (and have dabbled in mainstream) and a lot of my enjoyment of a job comes down to:
1) does the director know what they want?
2) does my supervisor see themselves as an arm of production or a shield for our department?
3) am I ever held responsible for the director’s indecision or my supervisor’s bad calls?

FYI Pinocchio didn’t really do overtime while Wendell did a TON. :pwn:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ah yeah i had some friends who worked with Guillermo on the recent Pinnochio and hes very supportive guy who knows exactly what he wants. The film finished very smoothly. Meanwhile there's films with half the budget that go on for literally years since the director has no vision, they just don't like what they're seeing. Those are the projects where the crews usually turn over a couple of times during the process and multiple vfx supes come on and then leave, and the whole crew morale degrades to the point that the name of the project becomes a curse.

The real tragedy is that vfx studios do fixed bid contracts so none of that extra work is included in the bid. No charges for overages, etc. and it uses up resources that need to be used for other work coming down the pipeline. In the recent boom of vfx work in 2021 some shops had to return sequences to clients after agreeing to do the work because they ended up having too much. That has caused some directors to have a very low opinion of vfx and think the people that run studios are trying to purposely grift them.

People on those cursed projects will sometimes work 4 hours a week as upstream departments argue and directors delay, and the next week pull 100 hours as suddenly the director comes up with something, then back to a few hours the next week as the director thinks about it again and decides that the environment should change again, etc....

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I am of the thinking lately that there should have been a scene where a bunch of robots in a restaurant sing "hello wall-e" to wall-e, the robot from wall-e.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BioEnchanted posted:

Moments like her and her sister fawning over Tails' adorable gadgets and her kamikazeing a golf cart into her own marquis as she confronted her husband, setting it alight dramatically were really funny to me. It worked for me.

However I also enjoyed Lyle, Lyle Crocodile and a lot of people seemed to hate that one so idk.

I liked the sister in-law too, my prediction is that in Sonic 3 she'll still hate Sonic (and let's be honest she's not unjustified in her dislike of him after all he's put her through), but really like and be on great terms with Tails.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As much as I liked Detective Pikachu, had to say that the Sonic movies basically pull off having the human characters actually be half-decent. I think having Jim Carrey helps there, since you got a director specifically having to make sure the CG hero and human villain have chemistry.

I'm surprised they went all in on Stone being a full on lackey but it's also one of the best parts of the movie. The Genesis-style manual for the giant robot, lol.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Finally caught Harley Quinn season 3, what a wholesome show :allears: I'm glad it survived the hammer at HBO but god y'all were right the animation was sooooooo bad this season. I assume that's a funding issue?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finally watched Eight Crazy Nights.

Did not hate it

:ohdear:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

Finally watched Eight Crazy Nights.

Did not hate it

:ohdear:

The thing about Eight Crazy stuff is it has a lot of pretty good stuff in it, but it also goes way too hard on the gross out humor and really could have used about 20 more minutes to let the plot breath a little more (that would have allowed some more bonding time between Sandler's character and the single mom for example).

A few more character moments and a few less poops jokes (you don't have to take them all out, but if you have fewer it lets the ones you leave in hit harder and you'll probably get bigger laughs!) and the stuff that's already decent would have really been given a chance to shine.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Nix the transphobia, too.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kefkafloyd posted:

Nix the transphobia, too.

Yeah that too.

The same could be said for a lot of 90's and early 2000's comedies, unfortunately.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hawkperson posted:

Finally caught Harley Quinn season 3, what a wholesome show :allears: I'm glad it survived the hammer at HBO but god y'all were right the animation was sooooooo bad this season. I assume that's a funding issue?

Given the Venture Bros vibes the show has just consider that part of the charm.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Mario trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=76kD333iewk

Chris Pratt is still a low point but the rest seems passable at the very least and there’s a ton of references thrown in

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like that Peach is taking a more active rolE. Though it looks like there are... like, a lot of set pieces that would need exposited to fit into the narrative? I'm trying to think of how you go from Mushroom Kingdom to DK colosseum to OG training course to Rainbow Road to haunted mansion without eating into the story and character time A TON.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I figure the dk colluseum is part of a politically effort to get the kongs on board with an anti-bowser alliance, and the rainbow road is how the alliance gets to the front lines.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Edit: whoops, new trailer was already posted.

And I'm with Boo - there's a lot of different game callbacks happening in the trailer, and it really makes me wonder how they plan on cohesively getting them all in without makign the movie overly busy.

Also, now that we've heard more of it, Pratt's Mario voice is....not good.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 30, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
The Mario movie looks amazing. I don't care about Pratt's voice, I'm hyped.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It looks like Peach is just gonna be around for the adventure and Luigi is the one getting captured by Bowser

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

I like that Peach is taking a more active rolE. Though it looks like there are... like, a lot of set pieces that would need exposited to fit into the narrative? I'm trying to think of how you go from Mushroom Kingdom to DK colosseum to OG training course to Rainbow Road to haunted mansion without eating into the story and character time A TON.

I heard someone say the trailer reminded them of the Lego Movie, which loving leapt from location to location.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Schwarzwald posted:

I heard someone say the trailer reminded them of the Lego Movie, which loving leapt from location to location.

A fair point, but look, if Lord and Miller were helming the Mario movie, it would probably be my most anticipated film of the year. It's really hard to do what they do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/playcentermd/status/1597717529052721153

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Schwarzwald posted:

least it made sense in the Lego movie's case in that it's part of the conceit that it's a kid playing with his dad's collection in both a kid would naturally jump to new spots when bored of the current one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We're too used to movies being horribly unambitious and spending half their time in New York or whatever. Throwing everything just out there is imo a good sign, less likely they'll be teasing the REAL adventure for the sequel.

Kinda lol that Mario is starting out with no goddamn idea what he's doing, and acting a lot like everyone's first time playing a Mario game.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like Chris as an actor, but he still sounds a little flat here. Like the fish scene he doesn’t sound like a guy in distress at all.

Beyond that, it looks more like an Illumination movie in the Mario universe than a Mario movie?
Not necessarily a bad thing though, I like illumination movies. We’ll see when it launches.

Are people actually surprised Peach is taking an active role? While she’s been kidnapped a lot more than she’s been an active player, she has been an active player in the main games and is always available in the spin offs.
Besides, it’s easy laugh to have her beat up Bowser when he does try to take her. And considering some of the (very) worn jokes in the trailer they’re definitely not breaking any new ground.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The main take away I got from the reactions to the most recent Mario movie trailer is that a lot of people want to see Luigi and Bowser kiss.

Make it happen Nintendo!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Not like Princess Peach has always been just captured, anyway. She's got an active role in the old Super Mario Bros Super Show / Mario Bros 3 cartoons too, and the old Super Mario Adventures comic. While she did get captured from time to time in the cartoons, so did any of the characters, getting rescued by the others. She spent plenty of time joining in adventures.

It's mostly just been in the main series platformers where she's been often captured and doing nothing. But yeah, as said, she was also a playable character in Super Mario Bros 2 and more recently Super Mario 3d World, and stuff. So I don't think it's surprising that she's in an active role in this movie, but it also wouldn't have been surprising for them to just have her be captured.

Overall I think the trailer seems promising. My 3-year-old daughter already wants to see more of this movie.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

New Mario trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=76kD333iewk

Chris Pratt is still a low point but the rest seems passable at the very least and there’s a ton of references thrown in

I really am starting to hate the “No pressure!” joke that Hollywood keeps using. It was funny exactly one time. The first time I heard it. Even then it wasn’t that funny.

It’s like the new dance party in kids movies thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Peach using a Fire Flower isn't even new, yeah. She even has a specific look for it.

Ridiculous amount of visual references and lol they went full Mario Kart complete with her racing suit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Huh, turns out I like Sonic more than Mario cause this trailer feels draining where as Im pumped for Shadow the Edgehog in Sonic 3

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
everything about the new mario trailer looks great except for crisp rat's insanely bland, downright dire delivery on every single line

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm not really surprised Peach is participating, but more so relieved. There were two ways it could have gone and I'm glad they're seemingly choosing to have her active.

Get on board, Zelda.

e: I refuse to count that loving 80's cartoon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Das Boo posted:

At least it gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPRwLlpdTU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

gently caress. Okay, yeah, that was worth it.

The annoyed "Uh... What the hell are you doing here?" was :lmao:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Well excuuuuuuse you! :imunfunny:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's occurring to me that mario is already a 3d cartoon, except it is interactive and lasts several hours longer than a movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

It's occurring to me that mario is already a 3d cartoon, except it is interactive and lasts several hours longer than a movie.

I mean, yeah. Mario's literally a replacement for Popeye.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Huh, turns out I like Sonic more than Mario cause this trailer feels draining where as Im pumped for Shadow the Edgehog in Sonic 3

It's because Shadow's the coolest.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
It's because the first two sonic movies were good and Mario is an unproven commodity

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's because Shadow's the coolest.

Where's the drat 3rd Sonic movie!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

Adding Shadow to Sonic 3 is like taking candy from moviegoers, which is fine by me

Just need them to get to that drat fourth movie to start his spinoff franchise

e: gently caress, beaten