Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And, honestly, I get it—because the problem with saying "Well why doesn't she just apologize"* is that this incident will simply become another point in a lengthy, constantly curated list of mistakes used to justify harassing her the next time she makes a mistake, where it won't matter that she already apologized for it, just as none of the people harassing her care that she already apologized for all the other mistakes (Some of which stretch back over a full decade). So it's better to just lay everything down, say her piece, and gently caress off twitter forever. Which in the long run is probably the right call.

*not that she even has anything to apologize for with regard to the raya tweet imo

Yeah I agree. Honest apologies are ridiculously useless when people can just ignore it and drag up the thing you’ve apologised for again in the future

And the next time it’s dragged up 10,000 new 14 year olds who just joined twitter and don’t know you apologised before will start the whole thing again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

There's really no words for how staggeringly self-absorbed and stupid that "Apology" video is, two hours to whine about cancel culture, misgendering a critic and how the problem is everyone is being too sensitive.

If you're going to apologize, make it short and sweet, none of this clapping and taking shots.

It's not an apology video though, more like a lengthy breakdown about having things like [CW] a "rape rap" video produced out of catharsis after having suffered sexual assault that was never supposed to see the light of day thrown back into her face about how it's evidence she's a bad person, a full dozen years after the fact.

I think she's tired, depressed, and angry (I'd argue justifiably so), and if it's self-absorbed, that's... well, sort of the point, as it's illustrative of the emotional toll over a dozen years of internet harassment from various fronts can take on a person.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mycot posted:

Yeah that's what annoys me most about the whole thing; Raya IS derivative of Atla.

I swear Disney sets up these situations on purpose, like how it was impossible to be negative about Captain Marvel the year it came out without looking like one of those insane people who think Brie Larson should smile more

Its definitely on purpose with movie studios now. Look at what happened with the Ghostbusters remake. It was incredibly obviously that the movie was going to be bad, but if anybody dared to point it out, the angry mobs would go after them. This was something deliberately encouraged by the people involved in the film.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mycot posted:

Yeah that's what annoys me most about the whole thing; Raya IS derivative of Atla.

I swear Disney sets up these situations on purpose, like how it was impossible to be negative about Captain Marvel the year it came out without looking like one of those insane people who think Brie Larson should smile more

It’s kind of baffling to me how prominent creators aren’t seeing the similarities? They’re both literally titled “____ The Last ____”. But Ellis’ video has spawned a new bevy of tweets from prominent authors saying that they’re nothing alike, it couldn’t cross any reasonable person’s mind that the success of Avatar could have led to Raya getting greenlit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1382884182288924676

I dunno, I work in animation and I’m 99% sure Avatar would have been brought up as part of the Raya pitch. Everybody in animation wants to work on an Avatar or Avatar-esque project.

While the producers of Raya claim there’s no direct inspiration I didn’t see any rage against stuff like this Polygon article.

https://www.polygon.com/22328422/raya-and-the-last-dragon-avatar-the-last-airbender-comparison

But a one sentence off the cuff bit of twitter snark by Ellis brings down the rage hammer which really does make it seem like the whole thing is endemic to twitters gamification of rage.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 16, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

It’s kind of baffling to me how prominent creators aren’t seeing the similarities? They’re both literally titled “____ The Last ____”. But Ellis’ video has spawned a new bevy of tweets from prominent authors saying that they’re nothing alike, it couldn’t cross any reasonable person’s mind that the success of Avatar could have led to Raya getting greenlit.

I dunno, I work in animation and I’m 99% sure Avatar would have been brought up as part of the Raya pitch. Everybody in animation wants to work on an Avatar or Avatar-esque project.

It's also reasonable that Ellis, as someone whose entire career is based off of media analysis and critique, would make connections or notice similarities between works that might not be immediately noticeable to others. And in the video she straight-up says that's not a bad thing!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's not an apology video though, more like a lengthy breakdown about having things like [CW] a "rape rap" video produced out of catharsis after having suffered sexual assault that was never supposed to see the light of day thrown back into her face about how it's evidence she's a bad person, a full dozen years after the fact.

Exactly. It's not an apology video. It's an analysis of twitter discourse using her own personal experiences as the lens. I'm not shocked that people have dismissed the video or said it's a mark against her despite obviously not having watched it. She even addresses in the video how people in harassment mobs will claim there is a "right" way to react that would resolve the whole thing, even though that is absolutely not the case.

I think something that is very interesting about the attack you mention in spoilers is that it is a line of attack nazis tried to get going for years. It never really went anywhere until this situation which was mostly from "left" twitter. I think it's pretty revealing that the "cancelling" is not really coming from an ideological place.

Don't harass non-nazis on twitter. It's not righteous.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's also reasonable that Ellis, as someone whose entire career is based off of media analysis and critique, would make connections or notice similarities between works that might not be immediately noticeable to others. And in the video she straight-up says that's not a bad thing!

Yeah. In the above case though Xiran is also a media analysis person with special focus in East Asian influenced media. It’s possible that to her the difference between the South East Asian world of Raya is so different from the East Asian influence in Avatar that she can’t see how to people outside that demographic it’s seems so similar. “look it’s got Asian stuff and some nations with different magic and one of those Asian type dragons that are more flowy, it’s like Avatar.”

But I still think it IS similar to Avatar? The people making it were just smart enough to take from a different part of Asia so the similarities weren’t too apparent or could be chalked up to coincidence.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Even if Lindsay meant it was similar from an Asian inspired media perspective rather than all the other reasons, it’s a big leap to “Lindsay is actively contributing towards violence towards Asian Americans”

I’m talking Olympic-qualifying jumping-competition calibre of leaping

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

Yeah. In the above case though Xiran is also a media analysis person with special focus in East Asian influenced media. It’s possible that to her the difference between the South East Asian world of Raya is so different from the East Asian influence in Avatar that she can’t see how to people outside that demographic it’s seems so similar. “look it’s got Asian stuff and some nations with different magic and one of those Asian type dragons that are more flowy, it’s like Avatar.”

But I still think it IS similar to Avatar? The people making it were just smart enough to take from a different part of Asia so the similarities weren’t too apparent or could be chalked up to coincidence.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is that she's looking at different things—like, in the video, Ellis mentions elements like "questing to a series of lands to get new element-based powers" and "the presence of a Zuko-like character" being the specific things she noted as similarities between the two and other works targeted at a YA audience. These are things that have nothing to do with the setting itself, but because ATLA and Raya are both heavily inspired by Asian cultures and aesthetics, that's the connection that many people are going to latch onto and assume she was referring to.

Like... not to bring this into TLJ discourse (and this is just an example, I am not trying to relitigate TLJ here), but many of the people who liked TLJ liked it for bringing something new and different to Star Wars. But that wasn't the connection I made—what I saw was a series of scenes that felt like remakes of bits from ESB and RotJ, occasionally scrambled or recontextualized, and I ended up disappointed in the film because I wanted something new and didn't feel TLJ actually delivered. These are personal observations/opinions, and it's perfectly acceptable for people to disagree or not see the connections that other people are making. And sometimes, it can really require good faith dialogue and nuance to understand where people are coming from—two things that are practically impossible to achieve on Twitter.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 16, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Lindsay Ellis is at the absolute worst kind of a mediocre comedian and critic who may have been a lovely friend at times and said some lovely things (I like some of her stuff and have enjoyed her off and on since Nostalgia Chick). But even at her most worst level, she's just something you should ignore. And she's right calling out why SHE specifically is someone who gets dragged so intensely.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It is worth creating a 2 hour analysis trying to understand this arbitrary social phenomenon nobody wanted

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wittgen posted:

Exactly. It's not an apology video. It's an analysis of twitter discourse using her own personal experiences as the lens. I'm not shocked that people have dismissed the video or said it's a mark against her despite obviously not having watched it. She even addresses in the video how people in harassment mobs will claim there is a "right" way to react that would resolve the whole thing, even though that is absolutely not the case.
for what it's worth, i think most people who are tired of hearing about cancel culture are probably not going to sit through a nearly two hour video about the subject

it's only 7 minutes shorter than the runtime of raya the last dragon itself

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the thing that gets lost in the shuffle is that Raya was a mediocre at best (I thought it was absolutely loving terrible but whatever) movie that was desperately trying to be an extended trailer for some D+ animated series that will totally absolutely happen and yet people are going to the loving mattresses over this poo poo.

It is perhaps the most obviously calculated of calculated cash grabs and pretending it’s us Asian people’s chance at fuckin mainstream success is playing right into Disney’s multi billion dollar hands ON TOP OF putting the bar for success in Asian Excellence so low it mine as well be underground.

You know, Minari wasn’t my favorite movie to come out this year but at least it had a very specific Asian worldview that was grounded in reality and wasn’t desperately trying to be a thousand hacky things at once for a corporation that owns like literally a quarter of all media.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 16, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It'd be cool to make a movie with little rod puppets. Like stop motion scale, but you don't have to animate the thing so meticulously and you greenscreen out the rods. Might be cheaper, who knows!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FunkyAl posted:

It'd be cool to make a movie with little rod puppets. Like stop motion scale, but you don't have to animate the thing so meticulously and you greenscreen out the rods. Might be cheaper, who knows!

You might be interested in the Japanese-Taiwanese series Thunderbolt Fantasy, which uses puppets. Its had multiple movies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
In case there's any Rhythm Heaven fans around, I came across this and it’s delightful: https://youtu.be/Pk0SjQSAb_8

Stop motion Munchy Monk!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It's nice to see a Netflix series not suffer the curse of being cancelled arbitrarily.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 16, 2021

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

FunkyAl posted:

Agree

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FunkyAl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8pnPdYwWw

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ccs posted:

While the producers of Raya claim there’s no direct inspiration I didn’t see any rage against stuff like this Polygon article.

https://www.polygon.com/22328422/raya-and-the-last-dragon-avatar-the-last-airbender-comparison

But a one sentence off the cuff bit of twitter snark by Ellis brings down the rage hammer which really does make it seem like the whole thing is endemic to twitters gamification of rage.

That still boggles my mind. Like the moment the film was ANNOUNCED they were making comparisons to ATLA and the movie REALLY does not shy away at all from that. And yeah the rage is twitter in a Nutshell to gain followers, clout, etc., and kindly let them know that you make content on YouTube and Patreon. It's like loving clockwork at this point.

I also agree about the sentiment of it being intentional by studios as it gives them multi-layered insulation from criticism and that poo poo absolutely loving blows.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it speaks, quite frankly, to how immature and stunted most of these people are where they just hear someone say something and immediately go to "racist" because they have no actual frame of reference for what loving cinema actually is. It's the DCEU Synderverse bullshit all over again where it's a bunch of people who don't watch oscar-caliber films, who have never and would never touch specifically and realistically Asian films like Minari, Parasite, Old Boy - gently caress, even more simplistic and less complicated poo poo about the Asian experience like Always Be My Maybe and Crazy Rich Asians - trying to use whatever basics of film theory they Wikipedia'd to justify why the Disney dragon movie is good and not bad.

It's a bunch of people with no actual depth of experience or knowledge claiming a movie for literal children about non-real, fantasy Asians that was very clearly aping another tv series for literal children about non-real fantasy Asians is somehow the pinnacle of the Asian experience. It's reflective of a complete lack of and ignorance to the wider world at large and being Terminally Online to the point of vastly overstating some generic animated children's movie as some hill to die on in popular culture.

gently caress, Mulan was nearly 25 years ago at this point, and an infinitely better movie. But they're still both movies for children. If you liked it you liked it, but if your response to completely deserved criticism is an immediate sweeping accusation of ignorance and hatred grow the motherfuck up and watch an actually Asian film, loving challenge yourself intellectually.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 16, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's nice to see a Netflix series not suffer the curse of being cancelled arbitrarily.

Well, it’s apparently going to be the last season, which... Isn’t terribly surprising in light of the accusations of Ellis being more than a bit sleazy.

Though the director is already hinting at potential spin-offs or sequels

https://twitter.com/samueldeats/status/1383090132090195968?s=21

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Castlevania 2. Can't wait for the bottle episode where one character spends the entirety of it crouched in the corner underneath a rock.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

Castlevania 2. Can't wait for the bottle episode where one character spends the entirety of it crouched in the corner underneath a rock.

What a horrible night to have a curse

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Regalingualius posted:

Well, it’s apparently going to be the last season, which... Isn’t terribly surprising in light of the accusations of Ellis being more than a bit sleazy.

Though the director is already hinting at potential spin-offs or sequels

https://twitter.com/samueldeats/status/1383090132090195968?s=21

Hopefully it's like this

https://twitter.com/MorgothGf/status/1170352389787750400?s=20

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Better it end in 4 seasons and tell a complete story than get canceled when the viewership fades.

I'm rewatchining Legend of Korra season 1 these days and it's excellent. From what I remember it was ordered as a limited series so everything is super tight. The whole team is on the top of their game coming off the finale of The Last Airbender and the animation studio is delivering work that looks as good as anything in the 4 part finale to that series.

Unsure if I should bother rewatching Season 2 because I remember things getting really convoluted, probably due to rushed writing when it turned out that Nickelodeon did want more seasons. Season 3 picks up again as one of the best thing Avatar has ever pulled off though.

I also forgot how much nostalgia I have for these series. When I first heard Zuko's voice actor as the admiral of the fire nation fleet I got misty eyed.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 16, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ccs posted:

Better it end in 4 seasons and tell a complete story than get canceled when the viewership fades.

I'm rewatchining Legend of Korra season 1 these days and it's excellent. From what I remember it was ordered as a limited series so everything is super tight. The whole team is on the top of their game coming off the finale of The Last Airbender and the animation studio is delivering work that looks as good as anything in the 4 part finale to that series.

Unsure if I should bother rewatching Season 2 because I remember things getting really convoluted, probably due to rushed writing when it turned out that Nickelodeon did want more seasons. Season 3 picks up again as one of the best thing Avatar has ever pulled off though.

I also forgot how much nostalgia I have for these series. When I first heard Zuko's voice actor as the admiral of the fire nation fleet I got misty eyed.

Definitely watch Beginnings 1 and 2 at least because they are the best of the season.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rufio! Rufio! Ru-fi-ooohhh!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Definitely watch Beginnings 1 and 2 at least because they are the best of the season.

Granted, even the framing device for it is pretty convoluted like a lot of other stuff in Book 2 :v:

Really, though, I wish that they had done more with Raava in the second half of the series. IIRC, doesn’t she only get like one more five-second appearance when Korra finally found her groove again in 4?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You might be interested in the Japanese-Taiwanese series Thunderbolt Fantasy, which uses puppets. Its had multiple movies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

This is what I like to see

:hmmyes:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha Thunderbolt Fantasy is incredible. The music and voice acting combined with those totally smooth faces that can barely blink just adds to the bewildering tone.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, even the framing device for it is pretty convoluted like a lot of other stuff in Book 2 :v:

Really, though, I wish that they had done more with Raava in the second half of the series. IIRC, doesn’t she only get like one more five-second appearance when Korra finally found her groove again in 4?

Also doing a rewatch of Korra and yeah Season 2 is rough after season 1. Not that there weren't issues there (the front half is really nice and evenly paced but then things go into overdrive after the Pro Bending tournament) but season 2 just feels really disjointed and...there. There doesn't feel like as much connective tissue as in S1 and things just happen so we can move on to the next point.

However S2 did give us Varrick, and that salvages a lot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They never did give us Grant Danasty, did they? :sigh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

They never did give us Grant Danasty, did they? :sigh:

I remember an Interview with Warren Ellis from like 2005 or whenever the Castlevania series was first announced as straight to dvd movies and he was excited about having Grant Danasty in it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uuhhhh what?

https://twitter.com/avatarnews_/status/1383146945837879300?s=21

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fan made fake thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fan made fake thing.

You would think that but apparently not!

quote:

Polygon reached out to Nickelodeon for clarification, and we have been told to expect a trailer for the new series and a formal announcement from the company on Monday, April 19.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/AvatarNews_/status/1383193236143890432?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They rejected more Avatar content when they thought they were up to their ears in ideas for shows, on the heels of all the things that came out in the 90s and 2000s, then nearly two decades later, they announce a new series, but it's just online fan discussion vtubing except made by the company that made Avatar, instead of more Avatar. This is like Disney using May 4 to announce a new series about fans debating Star Wars and then saying "welp, that's all".