Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SolarFire2 posted:

There are legitimately people who are shocked and dismayed that a sequel to a movie made over twenty years ago, which was itself spawned from a series of commercials, is itself just a long commercial for Warner Brothers? What were they expecting?

Honestly it’s just the boring way they used the IP poo poo that annoys me. The Lego movie was pretty good and that was a big IP test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, aside from this movie did Jeff Bergman also voice Bugs in Back in Action (I know Billy West did in the original Space Jam)? I know Bergman’s played the character off and on since way back in Tiny Toons at least.

Edit: Back in Action was the late Joe Alaskey apparently

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 21, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The more I look at it the more I absolutely despise the animation in Space Jam 2. It’s that unique kind of bad you get when a project has a ton of money and talent behind it but zero passion (think modern Simpsons). I’d rank it below even Johnny Test I think, that’s how unpleasant I find it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, reviews are out for He-Man Revelation and…it’s certainly a thing:

(MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

Adam dies. Twice. First in the opening episode after the power sword breaks, the second is when he returns in episode five, having left the Preternian afterlife to reclaim the sword after Roboto re-forges it. Skeletor, who has also been absent since episode one (save for flashbacks), suddenly comes out of hiding just as Adam is about to transform into He-Man and skewers him, claiming the sword as his own and becoming a Master of the Universe...the Skelegod

Orko, who the reviews claim has the most surprisingly fleshed out story, sacrifices himself in episode four

Apparently there’s also some mild swearing and gruesome moments inspired by Akira:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-review/

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everything I've seen of Cool World gives me 90s auteur adventure game vibes for some reason.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everything I've seen of Cool World gives me 90s auteur adventure game vibes for some reason.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m late to the party on Wolfwalkers, but jesus what a beautiful movie 💗

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m cryin

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

yeah he really liked that one

https://i.imgur.com/coTI1yN.mp4

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Beastars ditching the stop-motion opening sequence in season 2 is the biggest animation crime in history

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seriously. I miss the gently caress out of it

What do you suppose the issue was, too many complaints that it sounded like they were ripping off the Cowboy Bebop opening?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

watch the jurassic park episode of "the movies that made us" on netflix, that had some really good stories about the death of stop motion

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Data Graham posted:

What do you suppose the issue was, too many complaints that it sounded like they were ripping off the Cowboy Bebop opening?

I doubt it. Doing a new OP/ED sequence for a new season is pretty much the norm with anime.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wild Side was a good-rear end song and I listen to it on the regular.

While I really enjoyed the Beastars manga, I can't get into the anime. The animation is really good for CG and there's virtually no way to animate those characters without it, but it distracts my brain HARD and takes me out of the story. So I just love the poo poo out of the first OP and that little Haru watercolor sequence.

701 crew is cute as hell and I love all the waggy tails.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Larryb posted:

Back In Action still remains the only good Looney Tunes movie (mostly because it was more about them than it was the human actors, or at the very least the two sides got fairly equal billing). Also I’ve always been a Daffy fan so it was pretty good in that regard as well.

Out of curiosity though, was there ANYTHING good about New Legacy? I’m almost tempted to watch the film myself just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

I mean, the original Space Jam wasn’t a good movie either but I at least remember having some fun with it as a kid but the best thing I’ve seen about the sequel from the trailers so far is the “shoot the ball” gag and Daffy once again seeming to be the highlight of the film, any other worthwhile moments besides that?

the michael jordan cameo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Does Space Jam 2 have the Animaniacs?

no but they left the droogs from A Clockwork Orange

im not even shitposting they are still in there

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

the michael jordan cameo

Yeah, the Michael B. Jordan gag was pretty good I’ll admit.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
They aren't the droogs. They are the gang from the film Alex watches during to ludovico treatment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One thing I enjoy about these anime series aimed at a Western market release is that they really let the dubbers go wild and creative with their reinterpretations, while keeping the subtitles a more literal translation.

"For better or worse, I have my pride"

:mmmhmm:

e: similarly,

Subtitles: "That's our society's bottleneck. I want to restructure our society."

Dub: "Late stage capitalism is such a pain. That's why it's gotta go!"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 24, 2021

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

dang masters of the universe revelations is pretty awesome, loved the mid-season cliffhanger
it's getting review bombed on imdb by a whole army of chuds complaining about wokeness and disrespecting the 80s show

lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that was much better than I was expecting. A pity we’ll have to wait until next year for the second half.

So since Revelation as a whole is just a short little miniseries aimed at older fans is there a particular reason why they had to split it up into parts instead of just dumping the whole thing on us all at once?

From what I understand the CGI reboot will be more of a full fledged series ala SPoP (complete with a few character redesigns from what little we’ve seen). Speaking of, now that Revelation is out I wouldn’t be surprised if they start promoting the other show a bit more before too much longer.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 24, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just have one question:

Do they make any references to HEYYEAYEAYEAYEAH?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FunkyAl posted:

They aren't the droogs. They are the gang from the film Alex watches during to ludovico treatment.

I was saying “droourns”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Cartoon Network He Man reboot from the early 2000s is a out as old as the original show was when that came out now. Crazy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My thoughts on Space Jam:

-- I think that if you got rid of some of the creepy cosplayers and cut down on the WB universe hopping to 1 to 2 jokes that things would have been much better and it would actually be a decent kids movie. I think maybe just limiting it to kids stuff would be cool. Like imagine how less grotesque the whole crowd scenes would be if it was just unused Loony Tunes characters with Hanna Barbara, Cartoon Network characters, and other WBA animation stuff like Iron Giant.

-- I'm surprised that there isn't more eyebrow rising about Toon LeBron clearly having a really different skintone than actual LeBron. it was kind of jarring to see him transform between the two, and it's not even the first time that LeBron was in WBA cartoon. So, it's not even an issue of shading in animation.

-- Porky rapping works better in context?

-- The Jordan joke was funny

-- I kind of wish Sarah Silverman was in it more

-- Sonequa Martin-Green is a pretty good actress forever caught in lovely stuff. It was funny to see how much she actually put into her role.

-- gently caress you LeBron, you're not a Hufflepuff and you loving know it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The CG in Beastars is amazing. I can’t get over how much better it is that literally any other tv cg animation, and also pretty much all of Japan’s theatrical cg efforts. The acting is so specific and they’re using mocap but retargeting it so well and playing up certain bits and getting good poses, it looks incredible. All those face rigs for all those different species, alongside the fur shadow texture mapping and so on... there’s not a single bad shot. And it can be viscerally horrifying at times because the the compositing and music and shot composition is great too.

The new opening being a lot of reuse animation cleverly composited is probably due to time constraints or covid or a decision from someone that the opening had to look more like the style of the actual show. They’ve still got an artsy ending.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Poor Elmer. :(

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Toonstruck was such a trip

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ccs posted:

The CG in Beastars is amazing. I can’t get over how much better it is that literally any other tv cg animation, and also pretty much all of Japan’s theatrical cg efforts. The acting is so specific and they’re using mocap but retargeting it so well and playing up certain bits and getting good poses, it looks incredible. All those face rigs for all those different species, alongside the fur shadow texture mapping and so on... there’s not a single bad shot. And it can be viscerally horrifying at times because the the compositing and music and shot composition is great too.

The new opening being a lot of reuse animation cleverly composited is probably due to time constraints or covid or a decision from someone that the opening had to look more like the style of the actual show. They’ve still got an artsy ending.

Ehh... I don't know, I do agree it's very well realized in general, but one gripe I have about it is that it's so slow-moving. Like any time when you have just two characters sitting and talking, the facial and hand movements all seem to go about half the speed they would in real life. Just hands slowly waving smoothly through the air in a way you'd never do yourself, or a facial reaction or take that plays out in three seconds when it should be a blink of an eye.

It's a complaint I've had about CG since like the mid-90s, where the cheap stuff would always have characters doing these vague languid *slowly wave hand through the air, then change direction and slowly wave hand the other direction* type gestures that just feel completely alien and uncanny. Like, to feel human you have to have quick, sharp, subtle movements mingled in with the "move anchor point A from point X to Y and trigger animation curve Beta while camera swoops all around in a 360-degree arc" Beast Wars/Mind's Eye type stuff. But I'unno maybe that's me

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Alan Smithee posted:

I was saying “droourns”

Am I to believe you've made some kind of magic post

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm yeah there probably is a bit of floatiness that happens with the animation due to the mocap cleanup but I don’t feel like anything is timed badly. Maybe they’re easing into poses over longer periods of time to get the “pose” feeling of Japanese animation without removing the ambient motion of a real performance.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I honestly found the third act of Space Jam: A New Legacy to be almost literally unwatchable, so distracting were the dozens of extras wearing Party City costumes disjointedly fist-pumping during whatever basketball-adjacent cartoon mischief was happening on court, but also during every timeout or stoppage in play. My eyes kept sliding off of the extremely bland foreground action and onto "welp, there's Space Ghost. There's the Droogs. There's Jabberjaw."

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/ZGdrlVShkmg

Phil Tippet spent 30 years making a stop motion horror sci-fi movie, looks fuckin insane

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Stop motion is the coolest thing. It combines miniatures, animation and horror so beautifully and those are all my favorite things ever. You gotta be a goddamn genius to work in it as every situation calls for creative solutions with electrical engineering, carpentry, metalwork, mechanics, SFX, sewing and sculpting.

Their capacity to think outside the box is absolutely awe-inspiring. Meanwhile I literally watch movies and listen to books as I work. :v:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Phil Tippet spent 30 years making a stop motion horror sci-fi movie, looks fuckin insane

Holy poo poo this is like a real life nightmare, I love it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

Holy moly I’ve got to see this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

Everything about this is amazing. The framing, use of lighting. God drat.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Whilst waiting for Tippet's work to release, try a little Jan Svankmeyer or The Brothers Quay. If you haven't seen their work before, they should be just the sort of thing you'll enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Netflix killing it with animated movies this year, this looks gooooood

https://youtu.be/BOe8L69JpVI