Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ok, the fact he's alive makes it more interesting to me because that whole afterlife thing looks like Coco but less relevant to a single culture. And he may have 2 souls in his body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ok, the fact he's alive makes it more interesting to me because that whole afterlife thing looks like Coco but less relevant to a single culture. And he may have 2 souls in his body?

The trailer almost makes it feel like the inverse of Coco—where as Coco is all about family, death, and remembrance, this film seems to be seeking a broader question about what makes life worth living. Which could definitely serve as the basis for a solid film, especially combined with the animation.

Also, bold plot predictions: The film's conflict will be focused around the spot that Jamie Foxx's character is supposed to be occupying in the Great Beyond, which has to be filled by someone. Tina Fey's character, who doesn't care about living, would be happy to take the spot, and offers to do so as soon as she finds out. As they experience more of Jamie Foxx's memories, however, she begins to understand that there's more to living than she'd realized, while Jamie Foxx realizes that his single-minded focus on his goals (And maybe some selfishness?) made him miss much of his life as it passed him by. Thus by the end of their journey, Tina Fey is no longer wants to pass straight through into the Great Beyond without experiencing life, and Jamie Foxx is willing to allow himself to die so she can have a chance to live. Then, because it's a Pixar movie, they'll find some kind of loophole to allow both of them to go on living, and in the film's epilogue there will be a kid in Jamie Foxx's class voiced by Tina Fey.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The trailer almost makes it feel like the inverse of Coco—where as Coco is all about family, death, and remembrance, this film seems to be seeking a broader question about what makes life worth living. Which could definitely serve as the basis for a solid film, especially combined with the animation.

Also, bold plot predictions: The film's conflict will be focused around the spot that Jamie Foxx's character is supposed to be occupying in the Great Beyond, which has to be filled by someone. Tina Fey's character, who doesn't care about living, would be happy to take the spot, and offers to do so as soon as she finds out. As they experience more of Jamie Foxx's memories, however, she begins to understand that there's more to living than she'd realized, while Jamie Foxx realizes that his single-minded focus on his goals (And maybe some selfishness?) made him miss much of his life as it passed him by. Thus by the end of their journey, Tina Fey is no longer wants to pass straight through into the Great Beyond without experiencing life, and Jamie Foxx is willing to allow himself to die so she can have a chance to live. Then, because it's a Pixar movie, they'll find some kind of loophole to allow both of them to go on living, and in the film's epilogue there will be a kid in Jamie Foxx's class voiced by Tina Fey.

Formulaic, but I'm actually pretty ok with something like this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that whole afterlife thing looks like Coco but less relevant to a single culture
Oh man, who wants to tell him... :yohoho:

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i want to formally apologise for calling ralph bakshi a little man, he is in fact a benevolent cartoon bear irl

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What’s weird to me is that is that I can’t hear Tina Fey in that trailer at all. I watched 7 seasons of 30 Rock and know her voice instinctively, but I can’t pick it out in the Soul trailer.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The animation alone looks great...

This is going to be the first movie in years I make a point to see in 3D, I htink.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Or the trailer covers act one, and the both of them falling back into the living world results in Tine Fey possessing his body while he goes into another patient in the hospital. This gives her a chance to live, but with all the stuff he had lined up to do she inevitably messes it up, and he is forced to watch from the outside as he loses the things he thought were important, while appreciating the things he was overlooking because he was so single-minded on his goals.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Welp, Frozen 2 is coming to Disney+ on Sunday instead of 3 months from now, as a goodwill gesture to parents quarantined at home with kids. Well played, guess I know what I'm watching.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sounds like the opposite of a goodwill gesture to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spies in Disguise is out on dvd/bluray. I liked it for a handful of reasons but even failing those, some really stellar animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL6p3QQ851M&t=172s

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 14, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/16/nbcuniversal-switching-to-simultaneous-theatrical-and-streaming-releases/

NBC Universal is switching to simultaneous theater and streaming release for Trolls: World Tour and a few other movies.

The catch is they'll most likely be 48-hour rentals and will be $20 per rental.

I think Trolls World Tour is gonna not do so well.

Also all Regal theaters are closed in the US as of March 17, 2020.

https://www.ign.com/articles/regal-cinemas-to-close-all-us-movie-theaters-during-coronavirus-pandemic

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/16/nbcuniversal-switching-to-simultaneous-theatrical-and-streaming-releases/

NBC Universal is switching to simultaneous theater and streaming release for Trolls: World Tour and a few other movies.

The catch is they'll most likely be 48-hour rentals and will be $20 per rental.

I think Trolls World Tour is gonna not do so well.

Also all Regal theaters are closed in the US as of March 17, 2020.

https://www.ign.com/articles/regal-cinemas-to-close-all-us-movie-theaters-during-coronavirus-pandemic

This makes me sad because the movie looked incredibly good. Same thing for Scoob which also looks like big goofy fun, but will likely get decimated by this pandemic.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

An extremely dumb move not to make it ~the average price of a movie ticket (which according to google is roughly $10 nowadays). $20 is just highway robbery, gently caress that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

This makes me sad because the movie looked incredibly good. Same thing for Scoob which also looks like big goofy fun, but will likely get decimated by this pandemic.

Someone from 4chan claims they saw Scoob! early and is spreading spoilers on Twitter and Reddit and also trying to kill hype for the movie. Unfortunately, they're succeeding...but it's also Twitter. At least be careful if you go and look at comments to the official Twitter account for the movie.

Speaking of that...

https://twitter.com/scoob/status/1239310405870051329

Scoob! will probably survive on memes alone, which might actually help it.

Hawkperson posted:

An extremely dumb move not to make it ~the average price of a movie ticket (which according to google is roughly $10 nowadays). $20 is just highway robbery, gently caress that.

$20 is absolutely insane, yes. Also, they want the equivalent to $20 in other countries. They REALLY don't want World Tour to do well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ThermoPhysical posted:

Someone from 4chan claims they saw Scoob! early and is spreading spoilers on Twitter and Reddit and also trying to kill hype for the movie. Unfortunately, they're succeeding...but it's also Twitter. At least be careful if you go and look at comments to the official Twitter account for the movie.

Speaking of that...

Scoob! will probably survive on memes alone, which might actually help it.

$20 is absolutely insane, yes. Also, they want the equivalent to $20 in other countries. They REALLY don't want World Tour to do well.

I think at this point they just to write it off as a loss for the bailouts or whatever Hollywood bullshittery that goes on in there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Awww I want Trolls World Tour

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and you can have it!

20 dollars, please.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'll see Trolls 2 in theaters then gladly pay $20 to watch it again at home :colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of that...

Scoob! will probably survive on memes alone, which might actually help it

I get it's a new thing, but this Dick doesn't have that (scratchiness?) of voice that I look for in a Dastardly.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

Do you tend to go to the movies alone? Or is that 10 bucks for everyone that comes along?

Because I don't know about you guys, but when I go to the movies I'm usually down € 27. $ 20 is a loving steal.

If anything, this just highlights how overpriced movie tickets are.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are they doing it for the same reasons they wanted to kill hype for Captain Marvel? Because I was already going to watch it but if chuds hate it then now I'm going to be watching it really hard (if my city lifts lockdown on time)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

Do you tend to go to the movies alone? Or is that 10 bucks for everyone that comes along?

Yeah, exactly this. If my wife and I decide to watch one of these movies for $20, we're probably saving quite a bit of money considering we're also not using gas or paying concession stand prices for drinks and snacks.

I kind of want to do this also to show the studios that this is a viable business model. Honestly, gently caress movie theaters in this day and age. Overpriced, crowded, inconvenient bullshit.

EDIT: Also, home viewing allows for easier closed captioning, which is important for people like my half-deaf wife*.

*Not to be confused with my deaf half-wife.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 17, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

Where the gently caress do you go that is $10?!

Tickets around here cost a minimum of $15 (not including online ordering fees if you do that) unless you're going to a second-run theater.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That average probably includes matinees. Most matinees around here are the 10-11 range but evening shows are definitely 15 bucks or more depending on the theater in the Mass area.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Trolls World Tour is a kid's movie, so they anticipate that they'll sell at least two tickets for every viewer, because children need a parent to accompany them. So $20 isn't that irrational, especially if you're a parent with two kids who now doesn't have to buy concessions.

Sucks for us childless adults who care about animation, but it's probably a price cut for their primary demographic.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Precambrian posted:

Trolls World Tour is a kid's movie, so they anticipate that they'll sell at least two tickets for every viewer, because children need a parent to accompany them. So $20 isn't that irrational, especially if you're a parent with two kids who now doesn't have to buy concessions.

Sucks for us childless adults who care about animation, but it's probably a price cut for their primary demographic.

Yeah, compared to, say, a family of four buying movie tickets, which for Trolls I would imagine is pretty typical, $20 is a huge discount.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah I do :smith:

ImpAtom posted:

Where the gently caress do you go that is $10?!

Idk it was just the google result for “what’s the average price nowadays.” I pay like $15 too but I live in an expensive area.

Bunch of companies that make products for my line of work have made their services/products free in light of this mess, this just kinda took me by surprise. Clearly I need a “lonely rear end in a top hat” discount

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...not to get into legally dubious territory, here, but what’s to stop you from, say, letting your friends and family log into your account or use your code or whatever to watch the movie during the 48 hr window? Then you’ll definitely get your money’s worth.

Unless you’re saying you have no friends or family, in which case sorry about that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm pretty sure tickets here are like 10.75-11ish? ignoring any special sort of add-ons. obviously knock a few dollars for any early/matinee showing

definitely wouldn't dip $20 for most things because watching at home isn't the same even if that cost generally matches what i would spend on my ticket+concessions. options don't hurt though, and i can see the value of this.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, I have to say $20 is reasonable considering the pretty high chance more than one person will be viewing it. Sucks for people who want to watch it solo, but I don't really see a way around that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I mean...not to get into legally dubious territory, here, but what’s to stop you from, say, letting your friends and family log into your account or use your code or whatever to watch the movie during the 48 hr window? Then you’ll definitely get your money’s worth.

Unless you’re saying you have no friends or family, in which case sorry about that.

Nah that’s a good idea. I still think $20 is lame though, if there’s ever a time to just go ahead and stop capitalism-ing,I feel like now would be good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Argue posted:

Are they doing it for the same reasons they wanted to kill hype for Captain Marvel? Because I was already going to watch it but if chuds hate it then now I'm going to be watching it really hard (if my city lifts lockdown on time)

They're claiming that the movie is literally a "find Scooby, throw in some old Hanna-Barbera characters, make a shared universe" movie. They claim there's no mystery and we already know who the bad guy is (Dastardly). Also they say one character's name is Epstien for whatever reason and Fred hires him to help find Shaggy and Scooby.

I didn't read more than that but people are spreading spoilers every time the main account posts. People are believing them and some won't watch because they think it's just another cash grab and isn't a "true" Scooby Doo movie.

Also, tickets are $5 all day on Tuesdays at Regal as well as a few other chains around here (I believe AMC, Alamo Drafthouse, and Marcus Theaters all have something like this).

Regal has the first showing be $5.

There's a local theater here, Aksarben Cinema, that is basically an AMC but with better prices all around that does $5 Tuesday as well as $1.50 for a hot dog and drink all day on Tuesdays. If you go in on Thursday, you get $6/ticket and cheaper food if you have a student ID.

Regular ticket prices at all theaters here in Omaha don't go over $10 usually, even in the expensive parts of the city.

$20 is pretty overpriced here and Trolls 2 has a very high chance of failing here. Maybe in most of the Midwest since I've never seen expensive ticket prices around Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, or even Minnesota.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 17, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hawkperson posted:

Nah that’s a good idea. I still think $20 is lame though, if there’s ever a time to just go ahead and stop capitalism-ing,I feel like now would be good.

I mean...I think things like rent and food and utilities should probably take precedence in terms of un-capitalizing over things like movies that are admittedly a luxury. People need to eat, they don’t need to see Griffin McElroy fart glitter on Justin Timberlake.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Why not both? :shrug:

Edit: I think we’re gonna see soon how important maintaining mental health is anyway

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hawkperson posted:

Why not both? :shrug:

Edit: I think we’re gonna see soon how important maintaining mental health is anyway

It’s not like there’s a dearth of entertainment out there. Nobody’s mental welfare is dependent on seeing Trolls 2. Now, taking steps towards demonetizing food, shelter, health and mental care, and Internet access are very real possibilities depending on how things shake out in the coming days. Those are a good first step.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah ok I agree, I just don't typically discuss those things in the animation thread I guess?

I went for HBO's 7 day free trial because...why not and finally watched Storks, and despite being a weird movie I think it's better than the last several Pixar movies. I need more details on the mythology of storks having babies though. You can tell from the movie that someone did the background work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I will go to bat for Storks the way Pick will go to bat for Smallfoot. I loved Storks

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I find it absolutely astounding that Boss Baby and Storks, which i assumed at the time would be terrible, both turned out to be thoroughly entertaining and well executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The boss baby series on Netflix though. Ugh.