Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Took a look at this thread because I watched the new Pixar movie, and discovered goons talking about a new Netflix animated movie with a weird quirky art style. After the glory of Klaus, I'm now excited to watch the Willoughbys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's surprisingly solid, i wasn't sure what I was going to get (especially because the main kid is a bit of a stick in the mud) but it was delightful

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Yeah ok this made me snort-laugh.
Got something new to watch!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love it.I think it's the closest we'll ever get to an animated version of KC Green's Gunshow

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh wow, The Willoughbys is SO GOOD! I'm so glad this thread recommend it because it was totally off my radar.

It's adorable, it's fun, it's funny, and it has the very important lesson of "sometimes your biological parents are terrible, and it's okay to just give up on them and find a new ones". Seriously, it is extremely important to me that as many people as possible learn that cutting abusive people out of your lives and not just sticking with them because you're related by blood is a good thing, and this movie delivers that message in such a wonderfully wholesome way.

This might be my favorite animated movie of the year so far.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
https://www.slashfilm.com/trolls-world-tour-vod-sales/

RIPD, movie theaters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nah, I absolutely see cinemas bouncing back after this. People will wanna be out so much more.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Good

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, I absolutely see cinemas bouncing back after this. People will wanna be out so much more.

I need my movie popcorn fix

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

I would think they'd want to interact with each other more than just sitting in a dark room together. Bars and clubs will explode. I can see theatres dying out except for maybe big, big event movies, like Endgame.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

howe_sam posted:

I need my movie popcorn fix

Man you need one those dine-in AMC's.

https://imgur.com/gallery/rtQSirv

A fascinating case of 100% accurate advertisement.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Phylodox posted:

I would think they'd want to interact with each other more than just sitting in a dark room together. Bars and clubs will explode. I can see theatres dying out except for maybe big, big event movies, like Endgame.

I absolutely can't wait to go the movies again. Seeing a flick at home is nice and all, but going out to the theater with friends or family is an event that I really miss.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SolarFire2 posted:

I absolutely can't wait to go the movies again. Seeing a flick at home is nice and all, but going out to the theater with friends or family is an event that I really miss.

This. Even just going alone and being part of the shared experience. Like I watched Endgame in IMAX and even if it was regular or even if I had the biggest loving 4k screen, there's just no replicating the actual crowd experience.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

doomrider7 posted:

A fascinating case of 100% accurate advertisement.

Once theaters come back and I get a bunch of A-List bucks I'm definitely ordering this burger. They have a shrimp bowl that looks pretty good as well.

And no lie, sometimes when I need a boost, I'll pull up Endgame and Sonic the Hedgehog audience reaction videos on Youtube. They just reminded me of my great experiences watching those movies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My place isn't great for watching movies. My options are watching them on the 13 year old LCD TV that only hooks up to my Nintendo Switch, watching it on my busted computer monitor, or watching it on my phone.
(There's a big television in my house, but I have several housemates and they have children so that's usually in use for Disney movies or Fortnite or Minecraft or something and they use motion smoothing.)

I like the actual movie experience of being in the dark, there's no chihuahuas or excitable toddlers, I have a hot dog or maybe some popcorn and we're all here to have a good time.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 28, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

YggiDee posted:

and they use motion smoothing

guillotine

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

hiddenriverninja posted:

Once theaters come back and I get a bunch of A-List bucks I'm definitely ordering this burger. They have a shrimp bowl that looks pretty good as well.

And no lie, sometimes when I need a boost, I'll pull up Endgame and Sonic the Hedgehog audience reaction videos on Youtube. They just reminded me of my great experiences watching those movies.

I still remember the, "YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!!!" feeling when Cap had Mjolnir and the Avengers FINALLY assembled or everything from Promare. Or even comedies like Good Boys with people laughing or cringing at the dumbass kids, or laughing and singing to the Lego Movie songs. You really just can't replicate that at home.

That and loving recliner chairs man, those are loving comfy. If you're getting this, make sure you go all out and get their milkshakes where they add an entire brownie or nutella stuffed churro to it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I have to leave my house almost every day for work, ideally I'd never have to leave my house again so death to movie theaters

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do not understand the attitude of wanting theaters dead.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

Neither do I. I understand it not being your thing, but not the whole wanting it to die.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've heard that some of the few drive-in theaters still in operation are planning to reopen. It's later than the change in seasons would normally allow, and there are caveats like limited capacity and online ordering of concessions and carefully managed access to restrooms. Could be a golden opportunity for drive-ins that've toughed it out this long.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm okay if the multiplexes die but I will be very sad if the only place I can watch Dune (old or new) is my living room.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

doomrider7 posted:

I mean that's a tasty looking burg, but popcorn is easier to eat in the dark and I like the ritual of movie and popcorn.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

howe_sam posted:

I mean that's a tasty looking burg, but popcorn is easier to eat in the dark and I like the ritual of movie and popcorn.

Fair point. It does make a banging Dinner + Movie setup though.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm okay if the multiplexes die but I will be very sad if the only place I can watch Dune (old or new) is my living room.

I'd be supremely bummed since one of things to do at my AMC is watch multiple movies by scheduling them to begin when one ends or have an hour or so of time and I just wander the mall a bit to kill time. Caught both Game Night/Black Panther and Ready or Not/Good Boys/(can't recall the other, but think it was Us) like this and had a blast. All were about $6 since it was Tuesday.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The National Association of Theatre Owners says this isn't the new normal and people shouldn't get used to this.

AMC is refusing to play anymore Universal movies because of this.

The sheer amount of salt from this is insane. haha

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

AMC is also getting sued by some property owners for not paying rent. I wouldn't be surprised if AMC goes down. Is there another national chain besides Regal?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

AMC is also getting sued by some property owners for not paying rent. I wouldn't be surprised if AMC goes down. Is there another national chain besides Regal?

Cinemark.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no, my Stubs :ohdear:

Cinemark?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, my Stubs :ohdear:

Cinemark?

The big ones I know of are AMC, Regal, and Cinemark.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just hope the theater near me survives this, since they only have one other location. :( Especially since they have a legitimately good restaurant built in and decent drinks for when I want to watch something a bit buzzed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

If theater releases and streaming releases happened at the same time I wouldn't have a problem with them really. If there wasn't a pandemic I'd have to have watched Trolls in theaters and not the comfort of my home with my cat for many months and that's some poop garbage that I am tired of. If the two could co exist that'd be great but alas I don't think that's possible so I choose my comfy chair at home to live

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
There is a large industry that provides an experience many like, but its existence means you need to wait a few months to watch new releases at home. Therefore, you are happy at the prospect of its collapse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
dude whatever! this slapfight is dumb.

you know what's NOT dumb? When Marnie Was There. God drat I love that film.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wittgen posted:

There is a large industry that provides an experience many like, but its existence means you need to wait a few months to watch new releases at home. Therefore, you are happy at the prospect of its collapse.

Yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like they're going to tear down all the cinemas. From the consumer perspective likely the only significant difference will be a different logo.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like they're going to tear down all the cinemas. From the consumer perspective likely the only significant difference will be a different logo.

If one chain goes bust, sure. If a bunch go bust, there's going to be a lot of abandoned former cinema buildings left to crumble into ruin.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
“Yeah they’re real, quit staring”

I’m finally watching Home on the Range

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Who took the script and audio from a painfully mediocre early 2000s cgi animated film and drew this gorgeous 2d animation over the top of it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the sequence where everyone is (climax spoiler)juggling the main villain, who is unconscious at the time, in a crazy chase through a series of minecarts because they all want to turn him in for the reward money for their own reasons. That was a really fun and energetic sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I watched that Mortal Kombat animated movie and despite it clearly being an attempt to show off how cool and badass Scorpion is, Johnny Cage still steals the show.