Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I’m the same way. I’m fascinated by the talent and ambition of his work, but tend to find the aesthetic not to my taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fauna posted:

wizards is on its way :3:

The thing you might not expect about wizards if you only know it for its antifascism is that it's also weirdly and very horny.

Arguably, it's even a good film!

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i remove my mask and replace it with a different, identical mask

Antivehicular posted:

So this thread and its GBS followup got me to order the Bakshi LotR DVD. I haven't watched this film in 20 years; my fiance has never seen it. It arrives tomorrow. PARTY HARD
YES

Robindaybird posted:

I feel kind of weird to admit I just find Bakshi's animation very unpleasant to look at.
there is nothing weird about that lmao

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
pray for my mother, who has to deal with me prancing around the house like a gandalf announcing to all who'll hear that the chaks are back baby

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
prancing dancing twirling billowing bakshi gandalf taught me how it feels to fall in love

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

I feel kind of weird to admit I just find Bakshi's animation very unpleasant to look at.

Yeah I find it very unappealing. One of those argued over "12 Animation Principles" is "Appeal" which basically just comes down the taste, and some studios have very rigid style guides for what they think assures appeal. But it's like fashion, something that everyone thinks is the look of the year will seem hopelessly out of date in a few years. While other looks will suddenly come back into fashion.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t like it but I appreciate the ugliness. It’s a choice and it is committed to it.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t like it but I appreciate the ugliness. It’s a choice and it is committed to it.

Speaking of which, box office flop Missing Link is now a Golden Globe winner.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1214007416901324804?s=19

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Want to emphasise again how good Missing Link is, it’s a wonderful movie about acceptance and kindness, everybody watch it please

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hedrigall posted:

Just got out of (a completely empty screening of) Missing Link, it was absolutely gorgeous with wonderful characters and a charming central message. My favourite Laika movie.

As I watched the time lapse behind-the-scenes segment in the end credits I teared up a bit because in all likelihood this is Laika’s last ride :smith:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Klaus' animation was like 90% algorithms so I'm glad it lost and something with actual craft behind it won.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Missing Link was a dvd special at Target for Black Friday so I got it for, if I recall, three dollars and will re-watch it at some point. It's better than Boxtrolls, but clearly rushed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sleeveless posted:

Klaus' animation was like 90% algorithms so I'm glad it lost and something with actual craft behind it won.

:chloe:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sleeveless posted:

are you sure that you yourself are not an algortithm to post the dumbest possible opinions in each thread

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wish Lailka’s movies would hit hard cause they are very pretty to look at.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Where there's a whip there's a way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I can't believe I haven't seen this before. I only knew of the Bakshi one. This slaps.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also knew Rankin Bass did the hobbit but I dunno, weird gap in my knowledge of these. I always liked this Smaug design, it's odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the rankin bass hobbit was outsourced to a studio that later became Studio Ghibli

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Right, via Last Unicorn and Flight of Dragons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pick posted:

I also knew Rankin Bass did the hobbit but I dunno, weird gap in my knowledge of these. I always liked this Smaug design, it's odd.

yeah, the smaug cat-dragon-demon design is really unsettling but I dig it.

hell, all the designs in that movie are way too wrinkly like testiclepeople but I love it to bits

DoctorWhat posted:

the rankin bass hobbit was outsourced to a studio that later became Studio Ghibli
didn't know that, that's neat!

man, last unicorn hosed me up when I was like 5.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It will gently caress you up now. It's really weird, and depressing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Rankin-Bass Hobbit works pretty well. It's got the songs, some very good voices (John Huston as Gandalf is just a brilliant decision), sort of an "antique" look, etc.

Return of the King is... not as successful. Granted when I was a kid who had never read Tolkien it was still pretty mind-blowing, but they kinda try to make it a sequel to the Hobbit since they hadn't made Lord of the Rings, there aren't nearly as many songs in the material so they make up a bunch, it's a lot clunkier in general. Parts of it work (the aforementioned "Where There's a Whip, There's A Way") but it's goofy. (I particularly like the Eowyn/Witch King confrontation since there's really no disguising that it's a woman talking.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can't believe anyone hasn't seen that before, it's a meme classic. And also probably the most sympathetic and fleshed out treatment LotR media has given the Orcs til maybe Shadows of Mordor.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
The 4k restoration of Son of the White Mare is getting a limited theatrical run come spring, then releasing on streaming services and blu-ray. I saw it at a film festival last year and it was cool as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Um6S0zBPY

It is moderately horny.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

omg it's a eurasian smaug

i never had much interest in the rankin-bass hobbit, but they're the people who did the last unicorn and ended up forming studio ghibli? i might have to watch it

tolkien adaptations are going to go down in history as being a wellspring of weirdness. i almost went into a rant in gbs about how bakshi (and his friends) were the perfect people to adapt lotr because it's a book about the world war and the descent of a whole world into surrealist red-skied warfare hell, but in the end i thought the information was all better stored safely in my heart. those eastern european hellscapes are going to stick with me though. i really wish he'd been given the money he needed, the character animation would have been just as bizarre but we would have got the full beautiful orc apocalypse of everybody's nightmares

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
not to mention the beards

the beards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Rankin-Bass Hobbit works pretty well. It's got the songs, some very good voices (John Huston as Gandalf is just a brilliant decision), sort of an "antique" look, etc.

Return of the King is... not as successful. Granted when I was a kid who had never read Tolkien it was still pretty mind-blowing, but they kinda try to make it a sequel to the Hobbit since they hadn't made Lord of the Rings, there aren't nearly as many songs in the material so they make up a bunch, it's a lot clunkier in general. Parts of it work (the aforementioned "Where There's a Whip, There's A Way") but it's goofy. (I particularly like the Eowyn/Witch King confrontation since there's really no disguising that it's a woman talking.)

Out of curiosity, why didn't Rankin-Bass do the other two Lord of the Rings books?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Had no idea that studio became Ghibli and. Yeah. I kind of see it now.

I loving LOVED Flight of Dragons. Jack Tripper as a goony scienceguy in fantasyworld and Darth Vader as the evil antagonist? Visuals weren't as good as Hobbit but it was way more enjoyable.

And that theme song!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nankeen posted:

omg it's a eurasian smaug

i never had much interest in the rankin-bass hobbit, but they're the people who did the last unicorn and ended up forming studio ghibli? i might have to watch it

tolkien adaptations are going to go down in history as being a wellspring of weirdness. i almost went into a rant in gbs about how bakshi (and his friends) were the perfect people to adapt lotr because it's a book about the world war and the descent of a whole world into surrealist red-skied warfare hell, but in the end i thought the information was all better stored safely in my heart. those eastern european hellscapes are going to stick with me though. i really wish he'd been given the money he needed, the character animation would have been just as bizarre but we would have got the full beautiful orc apocalypse of everybody's nightmares

Smaug having visual Asian dragon influence is fitting iirc, since he originally incorporated ideas from them with being intelligent and conversational, where most Western dragons had been depicted as monstrous, brutish animals.

The Jackson movies I remember being massive events that are still pretty influential, aside from being one of the universally recognised meme sources even now it seems like in the long run it got high fantasy adaptations as a popular genre again, with Game of Thrones and now The Witcher. A bit funny how influence goes; it turns out high fantasy works well for prestige television rather than movies, while Harry Potter didn't kick off kids fantasy so much as YA fiction in general, which has more trended towards urban fantasy or post-apocalyptic.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the chaks are back :unsmith:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why didn't Rankin-Bass do the other two Lord of the Rings books?

I figure because the Bakshi film had already been made and they didn’t want to retread it. There was some fuckery with the license and for all I know they only had the one shot at wrapping things up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I figure because the Bakshi film had already been made and they didn’t want to retread it. There was some fuckery with the license and for all I know they only had the one shot at wrapping things up.

Didn’t the Bakshi film reuse some songs from the Rankin-Bass Hobbit movie though or am I misremembering?

Also while I watched both Rankin-Bass films as a child I don’t remember seeing that Bakshi movie all the way through, how was it considering it was basically the first two books of the trilogy mashed together?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

FilthyImp posted:

Had no idea that studio became Ghibli and. Yeah. I kind of see it now.

I love finding out how different parts of the industry build and feed into each other, like half the animators who worked on the Tiny Toons Movie were key animators for Akira. (And I mean it makes sense if you track TMS Entertainment , but if you don't how often Japan is animating American cartoons it sounds kinda crazy)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DoctorWhat posted:

And the rankin bass 1969 Frosty the Snowman special was outsourced to Osamu Tezuka's studio.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Also while I watched both Rankin-Bass films as a child I don’t remember seeing that Bakshi movie all the way through, how was it considering it was basically the first two books of the trilogy mashed together?
i watched it for you, you need to see for yourself how it ends. it's worth it lol

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I was gonna post this image in the lotr thread but it looks like it was already goldmined

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Just rewatched Bakshi LotR, with my fiance who'd never seen it. Trip report in ten sloppy bullet points:

1. This already got covered in the thread, but ohhhh man, the pacing is rough. All the time spent on silly hobbit business initially really speaks to them expecting to get more films, and it's amazing how quickly things collapse into a "holy gently caress, we need to wrap this up!!" singularity of plot elements. After a certain point, my fiance grabbed a copy of Return of the King from the bookshelf to try and figure out the timeline convolutions.

2. All the body language in this film is wild and really needs to be seen personally; screenshots don't quite do justice to how characters are constantly fidgeting, twirling, and shambling in bizarre ways. We were singing the Haunting Torgo Theme the first time a Ringwraith was tottering around.

3. Goddamn, the loving Prancing Pony scene! I guess it's good to get used to Bakshi's Wild World of Rotoscopes early on, but it's so jarring coming so soon after Bilbo's party scene, where a similar crowd is entirely animated figures. Did this get animated late?

4. On one hand, it's a real shame nobody has ever done the Old Forest scene in a cinematic Tolkien adaptation, because that scene owns. On the other, given Bakshi's Treebeard design, the world might be better off without Bakshi Old Man Willow.

5. The Rivendell ford/"chase" scene is an impressive disaster. I couldn't figure out what the gently caress the horses are doing, ever -- there's shockingly little chasing, mostly horses standing still or sort of turning around or falling over? -- and the repetition of the same call-and-response lines got loving interminable. I estimate the running time of this scene as five years.

6. Merry and Pippin change hair color at semi-random. (I want to concoct a conspiracy theory about their hair colors vs. whether the evil wizard is named Saruman or Aruman, to determine which parallel-universe edit of LotR we're looking at at any given moment.)

7a. The creepy otherworldly stuff really works for the ringwraiths. It works less well for the orcs, especially once you're seeing a lot of them close enough that they're obviously guys in masks, and it completely breaks down once we get to the battle scenes where everyone except the main characters are barely rotoscoped. (It's hard to explain how jarring the later battle scenes are in this regard -- the "Aragorn standing on the wall alongside a dude who is clearly not animated" screenshot comes close, but it's even more completely bizarre in action, where you cut from practically live-action battle footage to fully-animated Legolas shooting an arrow and back.)
7b. I am slightly more sympathetic to the Balrog now that I can see how loving obviously it's a guy in a suit under there.
7b-1. The Balrog is still wretched, though.
7c. My fiance offered the theory that the hobbit rotoscope actors were wearing floppy prosthetic feet, which I now can't unsee.

8. The Gollum design almost works! He's kind of the only character who can get away with the big handsy fidgety body language that everyone in this movie has. My issue is his voice actor, who sounds way too loving normal; his line reads are barely any weirder than Sam's, and frankly maybe better than Pippin's. On one hand, it's a bit more plausible that Frodo would actually trust this thing, and I was never a huge fan of Jackson's playing up the freakshow split-personality elements. On the other... yeah, Gollum could be weirder, and probably should be.

9. My personal theory on the orcs in this movie is that they really, really don't give a poo poo, somewhere between "we don't want to go to war today but the Lord of the Lash says nay nay nay" and "'let's stretch this out for billable hours." Half the battle scenes are just extras standing around, and the Helm's Deep battering ram team is particularly pathetic. It's not a huge surprise that Gandalf And Like Ten Other Guys rout them at the end just by showing up.

10. This is kind of a hard film to evaluate, because it's hard to entangle the obvious production issues from the other things going on. The battle scenes suck; is that because they didn't have the time and budget to shoot better ones, and/or had to cobble them together from whatever footage they were able to get in the can and semi-rotoscoped, or just because the action choreography was awful? Would the pacing have been any better with the promise of multiple films, or would we still have gotten the non-ending we got? How much more budget would have gone to magnificent beards? We may never know.

Verdict: this is probably not as bad as I thought it was when I was a kid! This is not to say it is good.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The constant fidgeting, twitching, and over-exaggerated movements is why I just find Bakshi's stuff unpleasant.

Take all the animated bits in Cool World - clear executive meddling, not his vision, etc. but the animation is still his - Holly Would is constantly jerking and twitching, the animation loops are maybe 10-20 seconds at the most, and the background stuff is clearly plastered on top of the scene post-production with little effort made for the animated bits to look like they're on the 'same level' as the set and live action characters (It's unfair, but compare to the toons interact with real objects in Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

Then again, wouldn't be surprised if Bakshi wanted little to do with the live action parts as possible at that point.

When I tried to watch other things, the same 'twitching and jerking just to say this is movement' is off-putting.