Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That doesn't matter and it's not at all what I care about or what I'm talking about at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sometimes other people also talk about animation

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

starkebn posted:

cool, it's harkening a bit back to Good Dinosaur discussion in that I'm way more interested in watching Spiderverse or The Book Of Kells than something angling for photorealism. I want my animation to use every aspect of the medium it can to do things that are gonzo and amazing.

while we are talking about animated films that have no pretentions about being photorealistic, everyone in this thread should go out and watch Ruben Brandt, Collector. it isn't as polished as Into the Spiderverse, but it's just as committed to be an animated film first and foremost instead of a slightly more colourful live-action film.

it's available on Netflix too, so you have no excuse.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Bongo Bill posted:

No movie really needs to exist, y'know?
wizards

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Apes-Ma posted:

while we are talking about animated films that have no pretentions about being photorealistic, everyone in this thread should go out and watch Ruben Brandt, Collector. it isn't as polished as Into the Spiderverse, but it's just as committed to be an animated film first and foremost instead of a slightly more colourful live-action film.

it's available on Netflix too, so you have no excuse.

thanks for the recommendation

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yo, nankeen, if you're looking for another idiosyncratic animation feature to break things up between Bakshis, you could do a lot worse than Bill Plympton's Hair High.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If any of y'all like Lupin III (and if you don't you're a loving monster), go watch Takeshi Koike's Lupin movies right now

I've only seen Gravestone of Daisuke Jigen and Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood out of the three (haven't gotten around to Fujiko Mine's Lie yet), but Gravestone is pretty good, and Goemon's Spray of Blood is loving amazing

Overall it's exactly as good as "the Redline guy making Lupin III movies" should reasonably be, and that's a pretty loving high bar to meet

e: fair warning, though, while Gravestone of Daisuke Jigen is basically at typical Lupin levels of violence, Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood is disturbingly gory at times. Goemon gets basically Green Room'd with a hatchet in the final fight between him and the villain. and it looks loving nasty as hell.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 20, 2020

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pick posted:

The funniest, most interesting thing about Toy Story 4 is the laser precision on how ethnic Pixar thought they could or should make Bonnie and her parents.

Hmmmm, very normal observation that definitely doesn't say more about you than Pixar!

Anyway, Toy Story 4 was... fine? Largely a pretty good movie, although they absolutely had no clue what to do with Buzz and the ending, while pretty emotional, was also absurdly rushed. I'm not, like, mad that it exists, but I wish they hadn't undone the ending of 3 and had just kept making more shorts and specials with the characters instead.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Nikaer Drekin posted:

...had just kept making more shorts and specials with the characters instead.

I don’t know that it’s come up in the thread, but I like Forky Asks a Question. It’s not as good as the longer specials, and it’s pretty much the same joke over and over again, but I really like that joke.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just started up Kipo on netflix. Seems pretty solid about 10 minutes in.

Could be wrong, but I'm wondering if this is like... post-apocalyptic pokemon???

Edit2: Nope. This is Monster Hunter.

Edit3: Talking frog with a mustache in a purple suit.

Edit4: Death Stranding.

Edit5: Torterra garden? Whatever. This thing owns. Watch it.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 21, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've seen Frozen 2 twice now and I just want to say that despite being an objectively good song, gently caress Into The Unknown because it's a far far more difficult song to sing (there's a video somewhere about Idina Menzel talking about having trouble with it) and when children sing it over and over and over again like they did with Let It Go it makes me want to jump into traffic.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've seen frozen 2 with my daughter 3 times now and it's really hard to tell at the end of show yourself when Iduna is singing. It's even more confusing because she sings one of the last lines of the song and when her face is on screen the lips aren't moving. But the first line she sings her lips are moving so its not that her vision isn't actually singing. I wonder if Disney changed the song last minute?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are so many awkward cuts, I think a lot of scenes perhaps didn't have time to be re-animated or re-rendered. It's very choppy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On reflection with Spies in Disguise I feel it's point would have been stronger if the villain had been a civilian that got caught in one of Will Smith's explosions, rather than an embittered injured goon. Someone who wasn't in the circle of violence until Will put him there. I actually thought that that was where they were going in the first place.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

On reflection with Spies in Disguise I feel it's point would have been stronger if the villain had been a civilian that got caught in one of Will Smith's explosions, rather than an embittered injured goon. Someone who wasn't in the circle of violence until Will put him there. I actually thought that that was where they were going in the first place.

There is an arc of James Tynion IV's Detective Comics run that does something like this called The Victim Syndicate.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've seen Frozen 2 twice now and I just want to say that despite being an objectively good song, gently caress Into The Unknown because it's a far far more difficult song to sing (there's a video somewhere about Idina Menzel talking about having trouble with it) and when children sing it over and over and over again like they did with Let It Go it makes me want to jump into traffic.

Yeah, the song kinda feels like the most difficult parts of Let It Go but for the entire bit. I do like this cover of it by Brendon Urie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My favorite part of Into The Uknown is this part:

quote:

You're not a voice.
You're just a ringing in my ear.
And if I heard you
WHICH I DON'T
I'm spoken for I fear

The building up of the strings kicks rear end, and also I just love the WHICH I DON'T, I dunno why that part gets me so much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

It is so conspicuous that I actually think this is a change from the original script. I think they just thought that would be a bit much.

The entire film focuses so much on collateral damage and how it's overlooked that this was the really obvious conclusion.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My kids have moved on to The Little Mermaid, and I'm happy to say that drat, those songs really hold up. It's easy to see why this was such a big deal.

The description they give it on the Disney+ page is weirdly low-key though:

quote:

Dive into Disney fun with Ariel in The Little Mermaid
It sounds like the ad copy for a coloring book or something

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So I finally watched Castle of Caligistrato - dunno why it took me so long. - though it's the Streamline dub writing around the trademarks.

It's definitely very Miyazaki, though it's weird as hell seeing Fujiko being outright helpful and Lupin being so nice... though it sounds like the intention was this was a Lupin near the end of his career and being a little more somber and reflective. But yeah, I can definitely see where TGMD's clocktower fight came from.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Castlevania: Symphony of the Moon's castle design is straight up Castle Cagliostro. You even have to insert a couple of rings in the giant clock face to get to the true ending.

Edit: I don't know what TGMD is.

Also, there's an episode of BTAS where Batman has a wrench fight with Clock King on spinning clock tower gears. No way that wasn't a reference.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
TGMD = The Great Mouse Detective

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

As Dathemed said, should've said the whole title name.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darthemed posted:

TGMD = The Great Mouse Detective

"SEVEN LITTLE MEN HELP A GIRL"

"THE WOODEN BOY WHO BECAME REAL"

"THE LITTLE DEER WHO GREW UP"

"ARISTOCATS"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
While we're on Lupin I'm just gonna reiterate that the Takeshi Koike movies are a pro loving watch

Like holy gently caress I still can't get over how good Goemon's Blood Spray was

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The original Pirates of Dark Water title cel is on ebay. Just kinda cool.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

The original Pirates of Dark Water title cel is on ebay. Just kinda cool.

god I remember watching the reruns on cartoon network and even as a kid noticing how abrupt it seemed to have 'ended' (and the joke Q&A ad that CN ran at the time implying there was more but it got taped over). It really was a neat adventure show and had some amazing setpieces, a pirate ship made from the bones of a great leviathan? Fantastic.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

god I remember watching the reruns on cartoon network and even as a kid noticing how abrupt it seemed to have 'ended' (and the joke Q&A ad that CN ran at the time implying there was more but it got taped over). It really was a neat adventure show and had some amazing setpieces, a pirate ship made from the bones of a great leviathan? Fantastic.

We were discussing the idea of a Mighty Max revival on another thread, but this is another show that would be awesome for that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doomrider7 posted:

We were discussing the idea of a Mighty Max revival on another thread, but this is another show that would be awesome for that.

The fun part is how much the show would lend itself to it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Missing Link beat out toy story four at the Golden Globes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I didn't see TS4 but enjoyed Missing Link a whole lot. I think I enjoyed Abominable more though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fun part is how much the show would lend itself to it.

Which of the two? But yeah agree in either case.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

doomrider7 posted:

doesn't Mighty Max end on a time loop? That would definitely be open to a sequel.

Pirates of Dark Water *very hastily* resolved the issue of the titular dark water (as they were alerted to being cancelled early due to how expensive the series was), though given how hasty it was, it can easily be amended.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For Mighty Max, no Tony Jay, no sequel. That's also why we can never get a proper conclusion to ReBoot.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

YggiDee posted:

For Mighty Max, no Tony Jay, no sequel. That's also why we can never get a proper conclusion to ReBoot.

and one of the reasons why the Legacy of Kain series is dead

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Holy poo poo, I haven't thought about Soul Reaver for probably a decade. Of course that was Tony Jay.

Edit: https://youtu.be/fgnLO7iJZaA

It's still great.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 24, 2020

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Now that Disney owns everything, can we finally get a release of Muppet Babies? It's my understanding that legal rights have kept them from doing it until now, but since it is under one monopoly now that hurdle has been cleared.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean that locks up the Lucasfilm clips easy, but I think there's still stuff there they don't own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doomrider7 posted:

I meant Mighty Max.

I had both a Mighty Max (the shark playset) and Polly Pocket as a kid. I'm pretty sure they were compatible.

Reminds me of those Micro Machines playsets that were basically self-contained stories on their own. I think it's out of fashion to make toys on such an easily lost/swallowed scale nowadays though, Lego aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean that locks up the Lucasfilm clips easy, but I think there's still stuff there they don't own.

Yeah, there’s a couple of Ghostbusters clips I remember in the show.